IMDb > "Taxi" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Absolutely sublime ensemble!

Author: cckoso from United States
16 December 2005

I may be overstepping if the intention is to limit comments here to the first season of "Taxi," and if so I apologize, because I propose to speak to the entire run of some 106, 108, (I can't remember the exact number) episodes. I believe it to be the finest work Danny DeVito ever did. I haven't seen everything he's done, but his Louie DePalma surpasses everything else I have seen by orders of magnitude. Similarly, Christopher Lloyd, as Reverend Jim, presents in this series (also of course in my layman's opinion)one of the true works of genius in the history of comedic acting. The late Andy Kaufman (sp?) of course single handedly creates Latka Gravas. Perhaps he was hired to do a character with that name already supplied, but I suspect the rest of the persona was the sole creation of that troubled genius. Given the tours De force of those three it is difficult to write about the rest of the cast and seem properly respectful, but that is unfair, for they all, with the single exception of the actor who plays John, who suffered with a character that paled in the light of all those other supernovas, were at once integral parts of a truly magical ensemble and at the same time individually brilliant. I loved them all, and with my willing suspension of disbelief I am saddened that they are gone, and, even more, that I was never privileged to be a member of that most exclusive society. We may never see the likes of that show again.

My all time favorite Taxi episode

Author: orchidman1 from United States
1 June 2007

Jim Ignatowski: A Space Oddity This episode I remember the most due to the test sequence that went on between Bobby saying, "Slow Down" and Jim asking the same question, "What does a yellow light mean" ever slower mistaking the answer for Bobby's inability to understand him. Of course there is Jim dropping something into Louie's coffee and Louie singing "Moonlight Bay" that was also hilarious. This episode was voted as the second funniest episode in T.V. history by Nick At Nite. There are other great episodes from this short lived t.v. series. Unfortunately, it also lost one of their funniest character comedians shortly after the series went off the air, Andy Kaufman. Watch the episode again you will laugh just as hard as if you watched the first time.

A delightful comedy that got out just in time.

Author: Jetset971 from United States
27 May 2010

Taxi was and still is a gem of a sitcom. Very clever in every department and has held up very well through time. Judd Hirsh is fantastic as the shows anchor, "Alex", which everyone else clings to. Danny DeVito is a laugh riot as the scheming evil little imp "Louie". Christopher Lloyd and Andy Kaufman brought the extremely original characters of "Reverend Jim" and "Latka" to life. Even Tony Danza does his best, and only real, acting as the would be prize fighter "Tony".I have far too many episodes that I loved. I wish I could list them all but I will site what I consider to be the best episode ever. "Memories of Cab 804", the two part episode where the most beloved cab in the garage has been in a wreck and the cabbies all reminisce and tell their experiences in the cab. My favorite scene is when Elaine drives a guy to his home and the man offers her to spend the night with him. She declines and the guy offers her a 100.00 tip. She's not sure to take it when out of nowhere "Louie", who has been listening on the CB, interjects and says "Your better off with the 100". LOL!!! I crack up every time I see that scene!. Some people were angered by how the show was unceremoniously canceled. Even Judd Hirsh ranted, at the emmy awards that year, how they should put it back on. I however disagree. You see, most shows never get out when they should. They tend to linger on and on and loose there once great quality. "Taxi" was spared that. They did five great seasons and will always be remembered for never loosing any magic.

Most Underrated Sitcom

Author: (Floridiancritic) from United States
24 September 2009

They were all dreamers . Hoping for something better but ending up in Sunshine Cab Company. This show is perhaps the funniest show from its time frame. Great comedy all around. Devito was Top Notch and his hand gestures,acrobatics and facial expressions were not to be missed. Made of stone, Louis DePalma, the dispatcher truly had a heart of gold, seen on very rare occasions. You had Andy Kaufman as the mechanic , simply awesome making up his own language from a fictional nation, Another true artist in the field. Tony Danza, Jeff Conaway would be boxer and would be actor respectably. Elaine the sexiest mom around, raising a pre teen son, just stringing cab job and museum job to make ends meet. Christopher Lloyd another true classic , the reformed or maybe not so much drug abuser, was simply another artist with just wonderful expressions,lingo and overall comedic appearance. The first cast member of any sitcom , that I recall as a drug user . Of course the glue of this cast , Mr. Judd Hirsch'Alex Rieger', the wannabe cab psychologist with baggage in his own life. This was just a wonderful sitcom that provided nonstop laughter. Throw in some excellent guest stars from the 5 year run and this show is in the big leagues with more prominent sitcoms in American History. It deserves its due . Hopefully in the era of dvds and webstreaming , this show will get its kudos.

Release Seasons 4 & 5 Please

Author: bruce-devlin from United States
1 March 2009

Please help push Paramount into releasing Seasons 4 & 5 of "Taxi" by sending an e-mail to the following address: PHE_CustomerService@Paramount.com Taxi is my favorite sitcom of all time and I am dying for the release of the final 2 seasons that contain some of the best episodes! For those of you Taxi fans, take a peek at the list of the episodes included in the final 2 seasons. Among the gems are Ellegant Iggy, the Schloogle, Louie and the Blind Girl, Jim the Psychic, Take My Ex-Wife Please, The Unkindest Cut. The list goes on and on. Check out the titles at www.tviv.org. The best part about the Taxi series was the writers' ability to have you laugh and cry within the span of a few minutes. The characters were extremely well developed, particularly in the case of Alex and Louie. The addition of Reverend Jim proved to be a brilliant addition to the ensemble. As much as John was a part of a few good episodes, his character was less interesting than the others.

Well now, what have we here? It's a Specimin of Near Perfection, copiously assembled from all obviously Imperfect Parts! (Kinda like you and me, Schultz!)

Author: John T. Ryan (redryan64@hotmail.com) from United States
25 November 2008

TAKE a bunch of real, stock-type characters, tweak 'em a little to give 'em some outstanding and unique personalities. Bring them together under an artistic umbrella; which creates a natural and ongoing reason to together. The addition of a foible laden grouch of a boss with an over-active yet under nourished libido and a general hatred for mankind makes for the sort of antagonism which we know will provide plenty of great, comic situations for many a week and multiple season run.

THE ADDITION of a leading character, who somehow maintains an even keel, supplying the rest of the stock company of characters with sterling, unerring paragon of wisdom and bright shining beacon of hope, is the other ingredient which gives fine balance to a series premise and its stories. In this way, a series, no matter how seemingly far out, off the wall and ludicrous its "funny" characters may seem to be.

IN the case of TAXI (John-Charles-Walters Productions/Paramount Television/ABC/NBC, 1978-83), the line-up is peppered with a fine assortment of madly disposed tenants; each of which are walking examples of the best in sheer comic zaniness. We have Bobby (Jeff Conaway) an aspiring Actor, Elaine (Marilu Henner) a sort of underachieving Professional Woman, Tony (Tony Danza) Prizefighter, Reverend Jim (Christopher Lloyd) relic of '60's and Latka (Andy Kauffman) newly arrived immigrant auto mechanic of unknown, mythical ethnicity.

TOPPING off this menu is Louie DePalma (Danny DeVito) the cab dispatcher with zero scruples and even less socially redeeming qualities. While ruling the garage like the barn boss of a major penitentiary, Louie is equally adept at being overly obsequious and subservient to the Cab Company's owner, Mr. McKenzie; who he both worships and fears. Complicating this relationship even further is the fact that a very physical Mrs McKenzie (Eileen Brennan) has designs on Louie's bod. The whole situation is a topper to such a fine a group of stories ever seen since the hey day of THE HONEYMOONERS in 1855-56.

THE one remaining peculiarity remaining lies with Judd Hirsch's characterization of Alex Reiger. Whereas this character would normally be above all of the various temptations plaguing his co-workers; being a sort of Sheriff Andy Taylor at heart the direct opposite is truer in this case.

CABBIE Alex, you see, is every bit as human as any of his seemingly lesser peers. His lead and counterbalance to the zany happenings is a most unique characterization in the annals of Television. This is the true reason that TAXI proved to be so memorable, unique and figuratively being directly ancestral to later outstanding sitcoms as CHEERS, COACH and FRAZIER. .

One of the classics

Author: bosstime from USA
18 December 2000

Without a doubt, one of the funniest tv shows ever. This show is one of the precursors to Cheers and then Seinfeld. The show was character driven and the actors played them to perfection. One of the most amazing things about the show was how there was so much sexual talk and yet the words "have sex" were almost never mentioned (a la the Contest Seinfeld episode where the word masturbation was never used). To correct a previous review, Louie was the dispatcher, not the owner. I believe Mr. McKenzie was his boss.

Tank'yaverrymuch!

Author: MIK7x3 from Toronto, Canada
16 December 2000

The seventies featured several groundbreaking sitcoms. One of those was "Taxi," perhaps one of the first major serials which focused exclusively on the work environment - in this case, the Sunshine Cab Company in New York - rather than on the family. Perhaps the most vital cast member was Louie DiPalma (Danny DeVito), the fiendish yet lovable curmudgeon who owned the company. Each remaining character had a unique love-hate relationship with Louie, and their own story to tell, all of which contributed to each week's plot. Other characters included Alex Rieger (Judd Hirsch), aspiring actor Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conaway), ex-boxer Tony Banta (Tony Danza), divorced mother of two Elaine Nardo (Marilu Henner), and designated oddball Jim Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd). And, of course, there was Latka Gravas (Andy Kaufman), the affable mechanic of an indeterminate ethnic origin, whose dialogue may be translated into "This will make you laugh" in any language. One can only imagine how hilarious episodes featuring Kaufman as Tony Clifton might have been. When one considers what roles some of the cast members have played since, one can see that there was a lot of talent on this show. It also served as the lynchpin for subsequent television sitcoms, including "Cheers" and "Frasier".

Louie and Jim....That says enough

Author: nutz4n64 from Schaumburg, IL
15 November 1999

I was introduced to Taxi a few years ago. The first episode I saw was the second part of "Shut it Down." I remember it so well because of the "Good Night Kiss" scene. After laughing along with my parents, I came back to the show, and was introduced to all the characters. Without a doubt, Louie and Jim (particularly Jim) are some of the best characters in sitcom history. Who can forget seeing Jim taking his driving test or selling a "vacuum cleaner?" Undoubtedly, one of the best shows in TV history.

Many memorable characters in a almost realistic setting.

Author: policy134 from Denmark
22 March 2005

I dreamed of seeing this sitcom for years but it was not shown on Danish TV until the mid-90's. Finally it came on one of the new local channels and I must say that I was a little disappointed at first. Then gradually it grew on me. I had heard a lot about Andy Kauffman before but I had never actually seen him in anything. Now I understand why. His character here was something never seen before and I think it has rarely been seen since. Supposedly, Judd Hirsch was the star of the show but when Latka appeared you totally forgot about Alex Rieger. Still, I don't think he is such a funny character. His character improved when they came up with his schizophrenia.

The most funny character was Danny DeVito's Louie. It takes a special kind of actor to portray a mean character and still make him sympathetic and I think that nobody but Danny DeVito does it better, especially considering his off-screen personality is the complete opposite. He was apparently the only one who didn't have sex with Marilu Henner of the male cast members.

It was also a coup for Taxi to get Christopher Lloyd as Jim, the perpetually delirious Reverend, who took one too many drug in the 60's. The chemistry between him and Danny DeVito is hilarious and maybe it's because they have acted together before in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest.

There were some dull spots also and those were mainly in the Alex Rieger scenes because they usually dealt with some kind of everyday problem that he had to solve. Nice people in a sitcom doesn't generate a lot of laughs, but to be fair, a sitcom doesn't have to be wall-to-wall laughs every minute. And to be a little more critical, the less said about Tony Danza and Jeff Conaway, the better.

Page 3 of 4: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]