IMDb > "Taxi" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Taxi"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Taxi" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One Of The Best

Author: Bolesroor from New York, NY USA
16 May 2004

Taxi was, during it's five-year run, the most funny, engaging, memorable, and heartbreaking show on television. The show helped to redefine situation comedies and created a handful of classic characters.

The show revolves around the drivers at the Sunshine Cab company: Alex Rieger (Judd Hirsch) was the good-hearted mensch who finds himself solving everyone else's problems. Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conaway) is an aspiring actor and ladies man. Tony Banta (Tony Danza) is a struggling boxer who can never seem to win a fight. Elaine Nardo (Marilu Henner) is a single mother of two with dreams of opening her own art gallery. Reverend Jim Ignatowski (Christopher Lloyd) is an absolute space cadet, and Louie DePalma (Danny DeVito) is surely the nastiest, angriest, most miserable boss in history. Thanks to DeVito's charm, he is still somehow lovable.

Besides the great acting in "Taxi," there was the writing- always funny and often bittersweet without ever being maudlin or melodramatic. There are episodes that can make you laugh so hard you cry, and vice versa. Thanks to the genius of director James Burrows Taxi stands as one of television's best shows. And who can forget the haunting theme by Bob James?

If you get a chance to see "Taxi," take it... here's hoping it gets a DVD release in the near future.

Grade: A+

one of my top 5 favorite American comedies- Season 1

Author: movieman_kev from United States
23 September 2005

The first season of this classic sitcom started off on the ground running as we're introduced to the down-trodden, brow-beaten denizen taxi drivers of the Sunshine Cab Company, the advice giving Alex Reirger (Judd Hirsh), failed boxer Tony Banta (Tony Danza, failed actor Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conaway), new immigrant, Latka (superbly played by Andy Kaufman) as well as new cab drivers Elaine and John (Marilu Henner and Randall Carver respectively), and cranky, hateful boss Louie De Palma (Dsnny DeVito, in the role of his career). These people are life losers, but the writing is such that they are NEVER treated as such. All of the characters were highly relatable and one couldn't help but feel empathetic to each of them. We're laughing with these guys, not at them. And it's a very funny, poignant show. Guest stars this season included Former Welterweight Champion of the World Carlos Palomino, Tom Selleck, Jeffrey Tambor, Martin Mull, and Suzanne Kent in a very memorable part as Alex's blind date, the overweight self-pitying Angela who would return next season in a surprising way. The first Season of Taxi was a few outstanding shows, a few funny ones, but not a clunker in the bunch. And you have no choice but to love that theme song.

My Season 1 grade: A

Greatest Sit-Com

Author: AP-Project from CT
26 September 2002

Taxi was, and still is, the greatest sit-com I've ever seen. The Louie DePalma, Iggy and Rieger characters were simply magnificent creations. I would laugh until I cried while watching this show. It's still funny today in re-runs. Louie's "affair" with Emily (which was revived in a later episode) is particularly hilarious. Iggy playing piano at a black-tie

gala (as Elaine's "date" for the evening) is both amusing and heart-warming. The scripts were excellent as they blended wry, sarcastic humor with some degree of pathos in each episode. This show succeeded at a time when there was no "political correctness" to erode its rough edges. It's very doubtful one of the three major networks would create and air a show like this in today's more conservative climate.

What does a yellow light mean?

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
16 August 2000

Taxi was a creative show that will be remembered for years to come. Each episode featured huge laughs that make your sides hurt, due in no small part to Christopher Lloyd. My favorite episode is the one where Jim takes the test to be a driver. The cast had a unique chemistry that you don't see on shows these days. Taxi isn't television, it's TELEVISION.

A sheer contribution to mankind

Author: mikrofon72 from Denmark
10 February 2008

It doesn't happen very often, but from time to time in history the human race has managed to create something so supreme, so perfect and so outstanding that not even does it become a wonder, but it also lifts the entire creativity in man to a higher level and sets a new standard according to what people are able to create and how they evolve. The show Taxi is the result of one of those man made manifestations.

Its real, its genius and its surprising. Its the art of acting, humor and intelligence come together. It captures centuries of human knowledge and wisdom. So marvelous put together, that not only will it be the best creation of its time, but its also an ideal for all times.

Many shows since are a reflection of TAXI, with many ideas, taken more or less directly from the show, and have become famous on that base. But they will never ever reach the hight of the original: TAXI Which once and for all proofs what a unique and unbeatable masterpiece TAXI is. A true wonder. Now, then and forever.

The Best Show Ever!

Author: jts0405 from United States
28 December 2005

They were just finding their own in season 1. Season 2 was a riot, when they introduced Revrend Jim. Each show was a comedy classic. It had one of the funniest scenes of all time, when Jim was taking his driving test. Will we ever find out what a yellow light means? This show was a launching pad of comedy stardom. For Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, and Tony Danza. The first 3 seasons are on DVD, and they are worth buying. This show also introduced us to Ted Danson, Rhea Perlman, and George Wendt who later went on to cheers fame. It was just a shame that it ended to soon. With the death of Andy Kaufman. The show was not going to go on anymore since the death of Andy. Everyone felt bad about the loss of Kaufman and the loss of one of the greatest shows ever. The show will always be remembered if you buy the DVDs and relive the sad, funny, and hilarious moments of Taxi.

One of my very favorite TV shows of all time. Long live Reverend Jim Ignatowski!

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
24 July 2004

Funny thing, I never watched 'Taxi' during its initial run during the late 1970s and early 1980s. Something about the title, I never got past that. However, during its re-runs during the 1990s I became an enthusiastic fan. I taped all the episodes so I could watch them at my convenience (I didn't save them, so don't ask). It became like watching a 'family', much as did my other favorite, 'Northern Exposure.' Both series had a common quality, set in an unusual place, with quirky characters and meaningful stories, so that during each episode you actually begin to care for each one. Who could ever forget Alex Rieger, Louie De Palma, Elaine Nardo, Tony Banta, Latka Gravas, Simka, and my all-time favorite character, Christopher Lloyd as Reverend Jim Ignatowski. I like that he took the name 'Ignatokski' because it was 'flower child' spelled backwards! (If you don't get it, then you will never 'get it.')

A few of my favorite moments come to mind ...

Jim burns Louie's apartment. Jim discovers that "I must have had piano lessons..." Jim works all the overtime he can to buy ... a dozen TV sets, achieving his greatest goal in life. The moment in college, when Jim takes one bite of a brownie, and he becomes what we know as the kookie Ignatowski.

I'll think of many more after I post these comments!! A great TV series, maybe it will come out on DVD some day.

The Greatest Sitcom of the 80's

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
5 May 2004

What more can you say about one of the classic situation comedies of all time. Just like many of the classics, this show was a great ensemble. Judd Hirsch may have been the star, but it was the interplay between the cast members that made this show what it was. Tony, Bobby, Elaine, Jim, Louie and, of course, Latka were all great characters and they helped make this show what it was. But, it not only was the characters. The writing made this one of the more intelligent comedies of its era and you could see a lot of what made "Cheers" great in this show. This show deserves a lot of the praise it has gotten over the years and its too bad that that more shows can't follow the example that "Taxi" showed.

One of the Best!

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
24 July 2004

"Taxi" is on syndication for a long period of time which shows how great "Taxi" was. Many shows go on syndication and just die with dated material, over acting, thin plots, and lose their originality. "Taxi" has timeless material, and will never lose its originality because of the intense plots, and excellent execution of the comedy from its actors. Danny, Judge, and Christopher were great actors. I will never forget the episode were Louie goes to Riger's apartment, because Jim has a vision of Riger meeting death at the door. Death turns out to be a girl guide. The Can Can dance with the baseball mask was hilarious. Too bad they have the thin plotted and predictable "Cosby show" on TBS. Other funny memorable shows were the bomb shelter, and Jim giving away his inheritance. Timeless classics. I hope they never remake this show for it will probably bomb compared to the original. "Taxi" is too comedy, what "Star Trek" is for science fiction. Must watch.

The Funniest Sitcom of All Time!!!

Author: Tom Holland from Phildelphia, Pa. USA
3 April 2003

It's a close race but "Taxi" noses out "The Dick Van Dyke Show" as the all-time funniest sitcom in the history of broadcast television. Well written, great cast! I've always called Michael Richards' Kramer on "Seinfeld" the illegitimate son of Jim Ignatowski. It was some breeding ground; the former cast members are still around and still busy. Danny DeVito is a success as a director & featured actor. Marilu Henner is still working and still looks good. Judd Hirsh is on both the large & small screens. Tony Danza always plays guys named 'Tony' but there have been a lot of them! My favorite moments - Louie's revenge on hair stylist Ted Danson in 'The Unkindest Cut', Jim's written test for a taxi driver's license (What DOES a yellow light mean, anyway?), Louie coming over to Alex's ex-wife's (Louise Lasser) house for their 'date' and taking off his overcoat to reveal that he's wearing pajamas! The list goes on and on! Today's politically correct atmosphere means that the old episodes are getting harder to find on tv. It's a real shame and totally unwarranted. Do you know anyone who saw the coca-leaf cookie episode and decided to take drugs because of it? Didn't think so! Niether have I!!! If you haven't seen it, look for it. There nothing remotely as good on tv today!

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]