IMDb > "Mork & Mindy" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mork & Mindy"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mork & Mindy" More at IMDbPro »

Don't Tamper With A Hit!

Author: parkerr86302 from arizona
10 May 2007

MORK AND MINDY was hilarious during its first season, but the producers and the network got so full of themselves over it, they decided "let's improve on perfection!", and naturally, they destroyed the show doing so.

Season 2 was no longer the least bit funny, and season 3 with Jonathan Winters was so absurd (and actually tasteless if you think about it) that the series sank like a stone. None of the "new" supporting characters had any charisma, and the producers' "feel good" decision to start sermonizing to the viewers was as poor a decision as has ever been made in television.

Bottom line: Buy the first season on DVD and enjoy it. Pretend the rest of it didn't happen.

Too Bad They Had to Mess Around With It

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
24 June 2003

The first season of this show made it the breakout hit of 1978. However, the producers came up with the bright idea of firing much of the original supporting cast (Corad Janis who played Mindy's father Fred and Elizabeth Kerr who played Mindy's grandma Cora) and replacing them with Jean and Remo DaVinci (played by Gina Hecht and Jay Thomas repectively). Another mistake that was made was by removing the broad slapstick that made the show a success and replacing it with more socially relevant stories. Things got so bad that they decided to put a twist on the old bring the cute kid trick and have Mork marry Mindy and have Mork "give birth" to a middle age baby. At least Jonathan Winters was funny in that role. Too bad it couldn't save what could have been one of the all time great sitcoms.

The series that started it all...

Author: Neil Ferris (n.ferris@uea.ac.uk) from Norwich, England
22 April 1999

The comic phenomenon that is Robin Williams was first fully unleashed on the world with this hilarious syndicated TV series.

Created as a spin off from an, admittedly, quite silly episode of Happy Days, this series charts the course of an alien, Ork, (Williams) as he investigates the planet Earth for his superiors back home.

What could have been an absolutely laughable disaster is transformed by Williams into an absolutely laughable success, from drinking with his finger and talking to plants, to his wild dances with Mindy, the woman who unwittingly welcomes him into her home, and reporting back upside down with his fingers in his ears, Williams keeps us laughing from start to finish off every episode.

This series blows away most of the comedic films Williams has done in his career, with the exception of Good Morning Vietnam, and should always be remembered as the ultimate comic performance from Williams.

Fond childhood memories.

Author: Mmmavis from Portland, OR
29 May 2007

This show is my earliest TV memory---my father loved this show and we watched it a lot together when I was very small. I recently discovered Seasons 1 and 2 by chance at my local Fred Meyer, picked them up and enjoyed them immensely. I was reminded again of how funny Williams really is.

Robin is at his manic best, and it's obvious that he often forsakes the script and happily heads off into improv la-la-land. Some of it is of course dated now, but it is still very funny. People sometimes disparage Pam Dawber, but she did exactly what she was supposed to do---be the straight man (or woman). Williams is SO manic that he needed an EXTREMELY normal, average straight man to contrast with, and that's exactly what she is. She's cute and perky, the quintessential girl next door. When she explains basic human nature to a confused Mork (which she does constantly) she seems totally believable, like having an older sister explain something about people you didn't understand before.

Watching it as an adult, I did notice a few things I didn't realize as a child: Pam Dawber spends many scenes trying desperately to not laugh and break character at William's improvisations. You can see it in her face; to me, it makes it even more entertaining. Also, the live audience contributed a lot to the general air of cheerful hilarity on the show. When Mork or Exidor show up for the first time in each episode, the audience literally screams in delight.

All in all, watching the first two seasons again I was greatly entertained, laughing throughout, and it brought back great childhood memories. If you're into checking out past decades of pop culture, you need to see this show.

Fall of '83

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
13 April 2006

In the fall of 1983,I made it my mission to catch ALL of the episodes of this series,as I had caught only about 3/4 of the last season and was so impressed by it that when it went off the air,I decided I would track this show and give it a chance. I wasn't too blown away by the show when it first ran in the late seventies and early,early eighties and missed a lot of episodes early on(strange it wouldn't have appealed to me back then,since I was between the ages of six and nine back then,but maybe I just didn't get Robin Williams back then. I don't really recall). I must say that I am very pleased I did make the effort,because this show was quite the pleasant escape!

Robin Williams' Mork,culled from an episode of "Happy Days",lands in Colorado and ends up staying with Boulder resident Mindy McConnell(pretty,game straight-woman Pam Dawber),laying low as he observes humans and their nature. His reports back to his mission commander,a basso-profundo disembodied voice named Orson. Through the episodes,from season to season,Mork goes from being a Tres-silly alien caricature to a thoughtfully funny adult who seems to find more questions to the answers he's seeking. The relationship he builds with Mindy is one of the most unforced and sweet ones I've sen on television,a nice contrast to the Sam-and-Diane,Muleder-and-Scully,Niles-and-Daphne type of "Will they/Won't they?" type of flirtations. Most of the rest of the cast seems to be expendable,shifting in-and-out each season,with probably her father(Conrad Janis)and local eccentric Exidor(Robert Donner)being the few constants. Jonathan Winters' turn as the son that the pair have was a great bonus,and probably what got me interested in the show to begin with. The high sense of improvisation was evident,and didn't hurt the show at all.

It's a great memory from when I was in sixth grade,and a fun show to watch. Even though I haven't caught an ep of this show in God-knows how many years,I've seen each episode at least twice and was charmed each time. A fun,silly show that holds good memories for me.

Mork calling Orson. Come in Orson.

Author: SpideyTerry from Ardmore, PA
12 August 2000

Mork & Mindy was a hilarious series that unleashed the comic talents of Robin Williams. This series began as a hilarious episode of Happy Days and ended with Mork getting his new assignment to go to the seventies. Mork even went back in another episode of Happy Days (a clip show but still funny). The series had a pretty good cast behind it, but it could have failed without Williams and his unique humor. It remains as one of Williams' best works.

Absolutely wonderful TV show

Author: Shawn Watson (curiositykilledshawn@gmail.com) from The Underverse
22 January 2005

I first saw Mork and Mindy when I was about five and thought it was the funniest thing on earth. I would even sit on my head like Mork did and I had some of the Mork toys too.

So it's obvious I would grab this DVD box set as soon as it came out. And is Mork and Mindy as good today as it was back then? Of course! In fact it might be even better coz when you compare it to modern sitcoms M&M has more integrity as Robin Williams and Pam Dawber seem to be performing to a much rawer audience with more theatrical performances.

Robin Williams is just completely crazy as Mork (from Ork), an alien sent to Earth to investigate our strange customs and report back telepathically to Orson, his boss. Mindy is the girl he meets who gives him a home in her attic, much to the annoyance of her cynical dad. And, trust me, you can clearly see that Robin Williams often gives up the script to manically ad-lib his own madness while Pam Dawber runs after him, desperately trying to keep the show under control. It's so cool in certain moments when they're close together during a manic moment and she's looking into his eyes in amazement, petrified at what he's about to do next. He would also go crazy off-stage in an effort to distract Dawber when she had a scene on her own.

Supporting characters are also cool. Mr Bickley, Mindy's dad and grandma, Eugene and the outrageous Exidor all grab as much attention as they can whenever Williams isn't going mental. David Letterman, Dana Hill, Tammy Lauren, Morgan Fairchild, Penny Marshall and Geoffrey Lewis show up in cameos too. Plus Fonzie is the first episode (a flashback to Mork's first ever appearance in Happy Days).

There are NO FEATURES AT ALL on the DVDs. Which is annoying seeing as how this time I would have liked to have seen stuff. But I'm just glad to have it. Hey, Paramount, give us Season 2 NOW!!! The show is presented in 1.33:1 full frame, as originally shot. And for a 27 year old show it looks great with very little in the way of print damage or grain. The sound is plain old mono but it's fine for what it is.

You MUST buy.

it is close encounter of the funny kind

Author: hcalderon1 from United States
27 February 2005

This sitcom was out-of this world, Robin Williams was incredibly funny as Mork, an alien was sent to earth to examine earth's culture. When he finally gets to earth, he meets Mindy. She takes Mork in, and tries to help him adapt to human custom, but Mork keeps making alien mistakes in funny ways. This sitcom was fall-out-of your seat laughter. Robin Williams and Pam Dawber had a funny chemistry together. This show was right up there with Bewitch and I dream of Jeannie. Next to E.T Mork was my favorite alien. It is a an outer-space classic. It was nice to see that funny man Robin Williams got his start here. If this is interesting to you I would go out and buy it.

Mork and Mindy

Author: jimsterling from United States
10 November 2011

I remember the late summer of 1978, working to save enough money to go back to school. Many days were long and difficult. My friends and I left behind by those that had their finances lined up for classes, were always looking for something to do to take our minds off of what we thought were big issues at the time.

Along came this wacky television show with a guy on it that was absolutely nuts. A bunch of us would get together every Thursday night to see what he would do next. We would laugh our heads off at this crazy show and we wouldn't think of missing one. Mork and Mindy was a bright spot in our day in day out lives.

Great show up to the point Mork and Mindy got married.

Author: Aaron1375
14 February 2010

The television show "The Happy Days" had an episode which is used in many shows. It is called "jumped the shark", basically an episode that is the beginning of the end for a show as this is the point in the show that the ratings start to go down and the episodes become really weak. Sometimes there is room for debate as to when this happens in a show, and sometimes it is hard for me to say when it occurred for a particular show. However, it is easy for this one, it is when Mork and Mindy got married. After that the show just got to bizarre with the birth of their child and the strange way the show ended. I would think there was some rule that all shows involving aliens ended with an ending that really did not conclude the show in a satisfying way. "Alf" had the same kind of end, however I do believe "Third Rock from the Sun" ended in a more conclusive way. This show was great though up until that point as this is one of the few Robin Williams vehicles that I enjoyed watching. His energy and craziness does not detract from this show as it often does in his movies, but rather enhances it. Pam Dawber plays the perfect straight woman to his madness as she must withstand an onslaught of questions and trying to get him used to things on our planet. Sometimes the show got a bit to sappy, and at others downright strange, but for the most part the show worked. There was even one that was a bit scary when I saw it as a child where a house was haunted and Mork got possessed or something. Then there was the strange one where he shrunk that was oddly unfunny when he was in the strange universe. However, my favorite episodes were the simpler ones. One of my favorite gags was when he learned about arguments from some guy who owned a deli with his sister and how great it was when they made up so Mork proceeds to start a fight with Mindy by taking the spaghetti she made for dinner and slamming it against the wall yelling "You expect me to eat this slop!". When Mirth was born the show was just becoming to strange as I did not care for the fact Mork got pregnant as he may have been an alien and they may have been able to give birth, but what exactly could Mindy have done to get him that way? Basically, a great show for three seasons that got to weird its fourth.