IMDb > "How the West Was Won" (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"How the West Was Won" More at IMDbPro »

A Great TV-series

Author: Jess Thomsen from Roskilde, Denmark
22 August 2000

In my opinion the TV-series "How the West Was Won" is the greatest western ever made straight to TV. The cast is superb with James Arness (Zeb Macahan) in the lead and Bruce Boxleitner (Luke Macahan) co-starring.

I've now been watching all the episodes of this western on Swedish television for the third time (1978, 1989 and 2000). The quality of this series is how it's being able to get the grip of the viewer in such a fashion that not even a frontrunner like Gunsmoke can compete with "How the West Was Won".

Excellent Western mini-series !

Author: Beass from Sum Mo' Islands
12 October 2005

This TV-series is/was truly excellent ! It is interesting, fun and exciting. The characters are all watch-able ; Zeb, Luke, Laura, Aunt Molly, Hillary and Mr.Beasley. :-) The actors all do a great job.

The main title (theme) is terrific and I wish somebody would post a link to somewhere on the web, where it can be obtained/purchased. I can only seem to find the soundtrack for the original movie (1963) and NOT the TV-mini (1978)...

I saw the show for the first time when I was 10 - so that doesn't count. :-) he he However, I saw it again last year and now that I'm thirty-something, I still think it's a tremendous show ! :-)

I recommend the show to anybody, although obviously some parts may be a little scary for small children.

All in all, one of the greatest (mini) TV-series ! :-)

I just love it!

Author: sonie from Norway
2 May 2003

How the west was won, was sendt on tv in Norway in they early eigthies. I'v never forgot it, and has waited and waited for a rerun, or that dvd's or vhs's should show up in the stores. Can't wait to see it again, but so far my wish has not come thru. I had like most of the girls in Norway, a hugh crush on Luke and Wolf Paw! And the week could'nt go fast enough, waiting for the next episode. My highest wish for the future is that the whole series will be released on dvd, so I can buy it and see it as much as i want to. And I know that many in Norway would agree with me, we never forgot the Macahans, and saturday night on tv has'nt been the same since!!!!!!!!!!

How The West Was Won is one of the best westerns ever made; Jim Arness' best work.

Author: slfreedjafreed from United States
23 July 2006

Few shows (mini-series) except for "Centennial" have depicted the gritty realism of the west as well as How The West Was Won. Jim Arness brought the character of Zeb Macahan to life / bigger, rougher and tougher than Matt Dillon could have ever hoped to be. I have the entire multi-season mini series, including the premiere movie, on 15 year old VHS tapes that are losing their quality. I wish the series would be released on DVD in a boxed set. Gunsmoke has been released, and considering some of the awful shows that HAVE been released I don't know why they don't. Does anyone know the status of this situation? I would like to find out who produced the series and perhaps recommend that there is a large audience out there for this kind of DVD release. Perhaps Jim Arness' website could help.

Two thumbs way way up!!!!

Author: hzenzenberger from Canada
24 March 2007

I agree with everyone else, excellent show. Considering some of the crap that they put on DVD, I am very disappointed that this mini-series is not available.

Best Mini-Series of all time in my opinion. I saw it 20 years ago and would buy it in a second if it came out on DVD. I just hope it wouldn't be like watching Billy Jack 15 years later., did I really think that was good the first time around? I was only a teenager when I first watched "The West" but my parents and my brothers all really enjoyed it too. We all thought it depicted the west how it really was, not as one of those phony westerns that are common to the big screen.

Best of the "How the West Was Won" mini-series!

Author: AbeStreet from Willoughby, OH, USA
14 October 2003

I remember watching this mini-series when it was first aired in the late 70's as a child. While I enjoyed the original tv movie THE MACAHAN'S" and the 78 & 79 mini-series which followed I still find the 77 mini-series to be the best one. I used to get goosebumps when I would hear the opening title song accompanied by William (Cannon) Conrad's narration.

First there is Zeb Macahan, a huge mountain man that does things as he sees fit. If it means standing against the Union Army or taking the law into his own hands he has got to be the coolest character on the show. I also was saddened when Zeb had to kill his trapper friend Cully Madigan to prevent him from being slain by Indians. I think my favorite line in the series comes from Zeb during the final moments of the series when Grey the bounty hunter is trying to take Luke to jail. Zeb, while under gun point by Grey, turns to him and says "Grey, I'm gonna lay hands on you and then it's gonna be all over!!" Nothing fazed this man.

Secondly I enjoyed the romance between Luke Macahan and Erika Hanks, the young lady that helped heal Luke's gunshot wound and hide him form his various pursuers. It unfolds in a believable way and the fate of their relationship will have the viewer near tears.

Lastly, the sets were all well done. It appears that most if not all the scenes were shot on location and not some studio back lot. I can only imagine what a visual treat it must have been like to work on the production of this mini-series.

I was luck enough to tape this series during the late 80's and still enjoy watching it at least once a year. Hopefully this mini-series and the other HTWWW series will find their way to DVD soon!!

I'm still waiting and waiting. One of the Best TV Shows of the 70s

Author: joyousfive from Canada
25 August 2011

This was one of my all time favourites. It is where I fell in love with Bruce.

The acting was suburb. The one scene that stands out for me was when Fiona was either being raped or sexually harassed. She had that look on her face that showed a multitude of emotions: fear, indignation (how dare you), and that she was flattered (thinking she was beyond the age that someone would think her attractive).

The other episode I remember was when Bruce's sister in the show was stung by a Bee and almost died. This was when I first realized that people could be allergic to Bee stings.

Why, Why is this not out on DVD yet? It is only 2 seasons. I'd love for it to also have plenty of interviews with Cast & crew. And to see how Bruce fell in love and married his first wife was interesting, considering they were brother & sister on the show.

Please bring this out on DVD soon.

Great western series

Author: ss2014 from United States
16 April 2007

I thought this was a great series and wish they would air it again! It was a good family show, okay it had some shooting (It's the old west!) but overall it had good family values. It was about the trials and tribulations of a family traveling West from somewhere near the southeast after the Civil War. James Arness, played an Uncle from the West who escorts the family as they head to Oregon. As it turns out they end up living in various locations, during which time the family is put through many ups and downs before finally making it to Oregon. I think the show could have even continued on for at least a short time after they reached Oregon and settled down but unfortunately it ends when they make it to Oregon. Again, this is a great Western series and I wish it was replayed on one of the cable networks!

The best show ever

Author: Leidan from stockholm, sweden
5 January 2001

I feel sorry for those of you who missed the adventures of Zeb and his family. Zeb (Arness) is the greatest man ever walked the screen. Josh is the little boy who never got to do anything. He is getting slapped around of all different sorts of people.

Luke is the handsome longhaired young stud who travels the west, facing problems proving to be the nephew of Zeb. Laura is the kid sister who just loves everything and everyone.

Laura is the oldest sister whose eyes starts to glow every time a man passes the macahan ranch. She is every feminist worst nightmare, hence she characterais the beutiful but week woman who just waits for a man to fulfill her dreams.

In summary, this is the greatest show ever broadcasted. Here in sweden nightclubs were forced to close when macahans was aired. Everybody was sitting at home watching it at saturday nights. more than half the swedish population that is. Just order the tapes and enjoy.

Best ever TV series

Author: liv-leggitt from United Kingdom
25 September 2006

This must be the best ever series made for TV. I have for years been looking for this to come on video or DVD, but with no luck in finding it as yet. I am not giving up hope, though, as I have just read that it is obviously very popular still. I watched it in Norway about 25 years ago when I was only about 14, but I still remember the series very clearly. I absolutely love it and hope that there will be a box set made with the entire collection of episodes from "The Macahans" and "How The West Was Won" and the films. It must be the best ever western series, with the actor James Arness as the perfect man for the job. All the actors are brilliant and really drags you into the story. A must have for all western fans all over the planet. Brilliant!!!