IMDb > "Free Country" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Free Country" More at IMDbPro »

A rarity

Author: haildevilman from Tokyo, Japan
19 July 2006

A post 'Meathead' Rob Reiner stars in this comedy about Ellis Isle era immigrants.

This was funnier than you think.

Despite the obvious sit-com trappings, it really attempted to show how it was for these people.

The supporting cast was top-notch and the setting, although a tad dark, was as good as it could have been for a half hour show.

Reiner owned this one. His comic timing and sometimes OTT manic intensity kept me laughing.

I had seen this during a vacation to Florida back in the summer of '78.

What does it tell you that I never forgot it.

Free Speech on "Free Country"

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
14 September 2006

Like our first reviewer here,I saw "Free Country" in 1978 as well. The difference was,I was a ten year old between grades in San Diego, California.

I certainly,though,knew who Rob Reiner was. I had been watching "All In The Family" since about 1974 (although a lot of it was too mature too grasp at the time)and I loved how Reiner played Michael Stivic. Here although not top billed in cast,his directing/producing is.

It was actually my first look at how it may have been for my ancestors coming to America (although many years before 1909). My great grand parents had my Grandmother that year. So,this show gave me a bit of an early eye-opener to that era in American history.

The cast was very funny and the style of comedy is not the in your face at 100 miles an hour style of today. It's well acted,well paced and although short-lived,certainly deserving to be remembered.

I mean,if they can put a lame 4 episode duck like "Pink Lady & Jeff" on DVD,this certainly deserves it more! (END)