IMDb > "Diff'rent Strokes" (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Diff'rent Strokes"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Diff'rent Strokes" More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]

Who was the Gouch?

Author: gdardignac from United States
3 November 2006

Does anyone remember the school yard bully that tormented Arnold? his name was the Gouch. he didn't play in many episodes, and I don't remember which one he played in, but besides that Dave Chappelle made a comment on his show once about being the Gouch on Diff'rent strokes. I don't know if he was serious or not but the Gouch did resemble a young Dave Chappelle. does anyone know if that was really him? if you know this rule about having at least 10 lines is ridiculous. all i want to know is who the Gouch really was. why to a whole bunch of lines for a simple question. jeez i don't what else to fill these lines with. what does it take to post a comment?

Despite the behind-the-scenes notoriety, this show was great

Author: coverme6 from Allentown, PA
28 October 2001

DIFF'RENT STROKES was a popular sitcom that had a fair share of

problems when the cameras went off, thanks to the kid leads' troubles with the law. But DIFF'RENT STROKES had reaped the benefits of being a successful show, with great performances by the stars. Gary Coleman was the center of gravity with his role as the spunky Arnold. Conrad Bain did a terrific job playing Phil, the rich white widow who adopts orphans Arnold and his older brother Willis (Todd Bridges). Along with the great comedic lines, I also thought the theme song was catchy. Alan Thicke of GROWING PAINS fame can be heard among the singers of the bouncy theme.

I mean, come ON! It's Gary Coleman!

Author: Glenn Humplik from Ottawa, Ontario
30 July 1999

What else is there to say? Gary Coleman made this show what it was...

I'm not exactly sure what that means, but it's true. When someone comes up to you on the street and says "Hey, remember that show Diff'rent Strokes?", what do you think of right away? The same damn thing as anyone else.

Gary Coleman saying "What you talkin about, Willis?"

That line made Gary Coleman's career. End of story.

"Whatch you talkin' about, Willis?"

Author: Moviemachine-1 from Los Angeles, CA
9 June 2002

"Diff'rent Strokes" is one of my favorite TV shows! The show is about Arnold (Gary Coleman) and Willis (Todd Bridges) living with Philip Drummond (Conrad Bain) and her daughter Kimberly (Dana Plato) in New York City. The show is hilarious and Gary Coleman is amazingly funny! "Diff'rent Strokes" is a show for all ages to watch and laugh! Amusing!

10/10 stars!

The Most Star-Crossed Show In Television History

Author: Brian Washington ( from Los Angeles, California
11 July 2003

This show not only was one of the most sickeningly sweet shows since the Brady Bunch, it also was probably one of the most star-crossed as well. Even though the kids were the most clean cut in the history of television, at least they didn't shy away from controversial issues like drugs, gangs, teen sex and child abuse. However, this didn't stop the show from crossing the line in its overt cuteness. But perhaps the biggest legacy this show will have will be that the behind the scenes story will always be a cautionary tale on the pitfalls of being a child actor. Lucky for Gary Coleman and Todd Bridges, they seem to be getting their lives back in order. Unfortunately, the same can't be said for Dana Plato who tragically took her own life at such an early age.

Author: teefus87 from chicago
6 August 2002

this show premiered the same year i was born so i mostly started watching it in the later years. i have now seen the earlier ones thru reruns its a great show gary coleman is good but the performer i really enjoyed was danny cookesky the kid who played sam.

Blast from the past!

Author: Paul Anthony Cassidy ( from United Kingdom
30 June 2001

Just recently this show has re-appeared on British screens through 'Trouble TV' which is a popular cable and digital network in the UK.The show does seem rather dated but thats probably because when i was a kid i loved this show and reality is seldom better than memories.Gary Coleman was the 'MAN' in this show despite the fact he was only 10 years old and 4 and a 1/2 feet tall. Upon looking up the show's details on this site it has put an end to several old rumours such as that Mr Coleman was actually in his 20s when he was doing this show. I don't know if you had that rumour in the states but it certainly exists here. True he is short and obviously suffers from a rare illness but the above rumour is nothing but a myth.It is pretty sad to read that Gary is now working as a security guard(if a little funny too) in an L.A. mall and that the actress who played Kimberly Drummond killed herself(who ever said that Howard Stern takes a joke too far?). But at least Willis is still working(ironic as i thought he was the show's major drawback) and that Mr Drummond(who was excellent)is still alive.In summing up they should rename this show 'Arnold' because thats who it belonged to.

champagne comedy

Author: from clubbin' with coleman
27 January 2001

okay, this show was a milestone in american television as far as im concerned. this show made me the sarcastic wise-ass i am today, and its all thanks to the greatest black man alive - gary coleman. in school, when the bullies were after my lunch money, my retorts of "whatchoo talkin' about...?" would make me feel like a king. of course, i would get the s**t beat out of me instantly, but thats the disclipline isnt it?? its a pity this show didnt last longer... i could spend forever picking out my favourite moments (the mr t. guest appearance is the pinnacle), so i wont, instead i plead tv execs or whoever to issue a best-of DVD so fans can relive the magic in dolby stereo. this is up there with GOOD TIMES and GIMME A BREAK as champagne comedy........

"Wodju talking about,users?

Author: Richard Wright from Wellingborough
12 February 2003

I hate to burst everybody who loved this show's bubble, but the sad fact is this is arguably one of the worst programmes to ever be unleashed on that box of tricks called a TV. Everything about it was bad, from the flat delivery of the characters they called acting, to Gary Colemans quickly irritating catchphrases that he seemed to say about half-a-dozen times a show. Also noteworthy is the horrible fashion and stupid hair that may have looked good for the 70's but will now provoke more hysterics than anything contained in the so-called "scripts".

So now we have realised that it has virtually nothing in the laugh department, what kept people watching for 6 odd years? What it the lead's height problem? The "catchy" theme tune? The disbelieving state of mind that a programme so awful could take up valuable air time? I have to draw a blank, I'm afraid. All I will say is: if you can survive half an hour of any episode of this without rolling your eyes whenever Arnold does his little routine, cringing whenever Kimberly opened her big fat gob to moan about how unfair life is or feel violently sick whenever Drummond spun yet another of his sentimental philosophies about family unity which always ended in a "group hug" then you are a better man than me.

Page 3 of 3: [Prev][1] [2] [3]