IMDb > "The Amazing Spider-Man" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Amazing Spider-Man" More at IMDbPro »

WHY DOES NOBODY BUT ME LIKE THIS SHOW?

Author: Big Movie Fan from England
8 March 2002

For starters, I think this show was great fun and had great storylines but not many people seem to like it.

I guess whether you like it depends on your age. If you're a young kid who's been brought up on a diet of CGI and all those amazing special effects then it probably doesn't appeal to you. But I think it was fun.

The stories were great. In one two part episode Spider-Man battles an evil villain by the name of Mr White who has stolen an atomic bomb which he plans to detonate. There's plenty of fun as Spidey battles dangerous henchmen and performs some unbelievable stunts. Another great episode featured Spidey in Hong Kong but my favourite episode was where Spidey investigated a bogus haunting.

Nicholas Hammond was good as Peter Parker/Spider-Man and he played the part of man with huge responsibilities on his shoulders very well. The late Robert F. Simon played the grumpy but good hearted Jonah Jameson and did a good job.

There were no super villains in the shows which I think was a good thing. The Incredible Hulk series of the 1970's didn't feature super villains either. Spidey got involved in real situations with believable people and in a superhero TV series I think that is much better than having a super powered villain every week.

All in all, highly recommended. There's some good stunts in the series too. Whilst I am quite sure this series will pale in comparison to the new Spidey film due to hit UK cinemas in June 2002 I would have no problem in recommending it to superhero fans.

It Won't Be Truly "Amazing" Until CBS Releases The '78 Spider-Man on DVD

Author: jrm23july@aol.com from New Jersey
4 May 2006

Though, short lived "The Amazing Spider-Man" was one of the best made for TV versions of a famed comic book hero. Only "Wonder Woman" (Lynda Carter) (the best of the genre and "The Incredible Hulk" (Bill Bixby, Lou Ferrigno) were better.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" outclasses the 1966-1968 "Batman", because the high camp elements of the latter often ruin the adventure. "Spider-Man" outclasses all three television interpretations of "Superman"- "Lois and Clark", "Smallville", and of course the George Reeves "Superman" which brings up the rear.

"The Amazing Spider-Man" was an action drama, during the late 1970's, the pre-CGI era, when stunts had to be performed by stunt men, not in the database of a computer. "Spider-Man" had its own very talented stuntman to perform the death defying daredevil acrobatics. His name was Fred Waugh, who donned the spidy suit for the action sequences. Nicholas Hammond, better known as one of Julie Andrew's children on the all-time movie classic "The Sound of Music" was Spider-Man during the dialogue scenes. Hammond's Spider-Man also had his own secret identity as Peter Parker, similar to Christopher Reeve- Superman/ Clark Kent, Adam West-Batman/Bruce Wayne, and of course Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman/ Diana Prince.

It's unfortunate that the series only had thirteen episodes. Because when the first episode hit the airwaves in November of 1977, the entire country was watching it on CBS that Wednesday night. In all fairness, CBS should release this pilot episode as well as "The Deadly Dust", the "Captive Tower" etc. on DVD shortly. "Spider-Man" was short lived, but did have a cult following, and in my opinion was a heck of a lot better than the movie interpretation of the famed comic book hero starring Toby McGuire.

CBS might be hesitant to release these episodes for two reasons. (A) There might not be a broad market for them based on the lack of longevity of the series and a generation of children and young people who weren't born when the series originally aired in the 1970's. (B) One of the early "Spider-Man" episodes dealt with a terrorist with designs on the World Trade Center, which was attacked twice many years after this show went off the air, in 1993, and of course the devastating attack against this country on 9/11/01 in which the towers were destroyed and many innocent lives were lost.

However I don't think that it would be in bad taste to release this "Spider-Man" episode even if the show was adventure, derived from a comic book, and camp in nature. The live action "Amazing Spider-Man" doesn't have a large following but it has a cult following. If and when CBS releases it out on DVD this cult following could be explained along with the episode in which Spiderman saved the towers in 1978, but how in September of 2001 real life proved to be different from the movies. I like to follow the news, but I also like Science Fiction/Fantasy. Therefore I am eagerly awaiting the release of "The Amazing Spider-Man on DVD".

i liked it

Author: gowen29 from United States
16 October 2005

i can remember when i first watched it. i thought wow, the real spider man. of course i was like 5 years old, but the wonderment that i felt at watching a real person in a spider man costume stopping the bad guys with his spider powers...i would love to see it again. but, since Stan lee and the majority of people didn't like it, we'll probably never see a DVD release of it. I wish i knew a way to find them on VHS or meg...anything. i'd love to watch them again. Stan, for peter's sake, some of us enjoyed the old series, let us have them again. And for future reference, Stan, if you need any help with casting future releases of Marvel movies, let me know.

this show should be on DVD

Author: fish4spider-1 from United Kingdom
27 December 2005

the amazing spider-man TV series had had 15 episode's all together and did not last that long as a live action series it was shame as nicholas hammond wanted the incredible hulk and spider-man to team up but it never happened, the series did have its comic book moments j.j shouting at parker robert f simon was great as jameson he had the voice. aunt may was played by irene tedrow and was terrible as aunt may in the first episode she is constantly moaning at peter to take his pills for his allergy some of my favourite comic book moments spider-man's web shooter is broken and he goes to a taxi and ask' him to take him home the taxi driver refuses because spider-man has no pockets in his costume spider-man jumps on top of Capt. Barbera's car and puts his head down to speak to him, spider-man gets cloned and at the end j.j is dressed in a spider-man costume and capt barbera arrests spider-man but it not the real spider-man its jameson in the costume

The Amazing Spiderman DVD

Author: betorlando35 from United States
14 November 2005

Does anyone know the status of a potential DVD release of Spiderman with Nicholas Hammond. It seems like everyone has forgotten about this series. Granted the F/X were not like they are now and it was played as camp. I know that a lot of Spiderman fans think of this series as a bad stepchild. I disagree, just part of the Spiderman legacy. I wish that whoever has the rights to release this on DVD will do this. I hope it is not another rights issue like the Superboy series. While we are at it. Sam Raimi if you are out there, contact Nicholas for a cameo in Spiderman 3. To some of us who grew up with Nicholas as Spiderman, it would be a treat. Bring Spidey back.

A great live action superhero series

Author: Indyfan82
28 October 2001

I have caught this show in reruns on SCI-FI before, and I have to say I enjoyed it. Okay, so maybe the special effects aren't the best in the world, but it was still a fun series. Spider-Man has always been one of my favorite superheroes and I really enjoyed watching him fight crime in this series. I wish they could have brought in more of the supervillians for him to fight though. But it was still a fun series to watch.

A series that met my expectations

Author: jamesgoodsir from United Kingdom
27 August 2006

When I was a kid I remembered this show but thought that now as an adult the show might be a bit dated. Well yes it is but for me that makes the show more retro (and the musics very funky).

This show is mostly well written. I do think its a travesty that this show was cancelled after one season especially when this show was more popular than the Incredible Hulk.

I think fans should overlook the poor special effects and enjoy the stories.

This next sentence contains spoilers: My favourite episode as a kid was when there were two spiderman that battle against each other interestingly a similar idea is concocted in Spiderman 3 the movie. I liked the ideas in this TV show some will hate it. I believe Stan Lee wasn't a fan.

A fairly descent show.

Author: mack3175 from Metairie, Louisiana
13 January 2002

The show wasn't all that bad. Despite revealing mistakes, weak acting and, story lines. It did all right in spots. Some of my favorite episodes were The Curse of Rava, A Matter of State, Photo Finish, and The Chinese Web. But Spider-Man couldn't be the hit that The Incredible Hulk was. Although it could have lasted one more season. Nicholas Hammond seems a lot older and mature, then the comic book Peter Parker. But he was good in the role. I hope when The Spider-Man movie comes out in May. That fans will rediscover this series.

The worst Spiderman "adaptation" ever made

Author: Rectangular_businessman from Peru
17 December 2012

I only saw the pilot episode of this drivel, but that was enough for me. This awful series seemed to be made by people who never read a Spiderman comic or just didn't care at all about that character.

This lacked of every single one of the virtues that made "Spiderman" a popular comic in first place. It didn't have anything to do with the story in which it was supposedly inspired. Instead of that, it was something completely different (And not good at all, for that matter) which just shoehorned the superhero for a few couple of scenes. Several viewers complained about the liberties that Sam Raimi took about the original comic when he made his movie version of "Spiderman", but all those liberties are nothing compared with the absolute nonsense that this series was.

As something independent to the comics, this is merely bad (With extremely poor production values and a boring storyline) but as an adaptation is just plain terrible. This series is just one big bad joke that is best forgotten.

0/10 (I would give this a negative score if I could)

great!!!

Author: mergalvez from san pedro, CA
20 August 2004

i also loved the spiderman tv series/movies from the 70's. i had a mean crush on nicholas hammond.