IMDb > Wombling Free (1978) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Wombling Free More at IMDbPro »

They're Short Fat & Furry, Nuff Said

Author: Sic Coyote from Staffs, England
6 June 2000

It's the wombles, IN LIVE ACTION! What more can you say other than cool. I must have watched this movie a thousand times as a child and it's still fun to watch today. It ranks up as one of the best musicals I know even if the songs are mostly unrelating to the plot who cares. All the wombles from the original show are here; Bungo, Tomsk, Wellington, Tobermory, Great Uncle Bulgaria, Madam Cholet and last but not least Orinoko. The plot is rather split up into a few subplots. The burrow is under threat of being flattened to make way for a bypass. Their food supply is dwindling due to pollution. MacWomble the Terrible comes to visit and gets his car nicked by a greedy "Japanese" businessman, and they have to deal with all of this while going around cleaning up the country and getting people to listen to their message. It's full of overtones about environmental awareness but that's their whole point in life. The songs are fun, the plot is good for kids the way that it is easily digested in portions and is a classic kids tv to movie piece. Recommended to anyone who likes wombles and it's a safe as you can get for childrens viewing while still keeping some intelligence. Very good.

Location.....

Author: emailden from Hong Kong - ex Gerrards Cross
2 January 2009

This movie was actually shot on Location in Gerrards Cross and on Gerrards Cross common. I know this as the womble-car scenes were filmed in my garage... which was quite exciting as a 6 year old.

The production crew had a party in our back garden one night and left beer cans and rubbish everywhere. However they didn't bank on my psychotic ex-stepfather who gathered all the rubbish in one big sack, walked through a scene they were shooting and dumped all the garbage over the roof of the directors Bentley.

Kind of a forgotten movie, but has funny memories for me and great for kids!

Good.

Author: Christopher Gray from Balfast, N.Ireland
15 January 2002

The wombles are a group of rubbish collectors that have lived on earth since Adam and Eve. They've been collecting litter and have been dedicated on cleaning up ever since.

This is a fun look at the wombles and is enjoyable at the things they get up to in their little home, but it isn't really for adults but they may find some amusing. It really depends on your age.3 out of 5