IMDb > Rain and Shine (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rain and Shine More at IMDbPro »Veri az ördög a feleségét (original title)

Real fun, real 70's in Hungary

Author: bzoli74 from Hungary
3 July 2005

I've seen this movie first about 10 years ago and it became one of my favorite Hungarian films from the 70's. A high-ranked communist leader comes to a simple family at lake Balaton. Each member of the family hopes that he'll help them in certain things, e.g. in their tourist business or establish a distillery. However, the "great man" has stomach ulcer or something like this and despite of the fantastic Hungarian dishes and wine he can't enjoy himself. Moreover he looks down the simplicity of the rural family though they do everything to make him feel well. In the film we can see great stuffings, drinking and we have an occasion to know the the rural Hungarian life in the 70's. The actors and actresses are really perfect in this comedy but I think mostly Eastern Europeans can understand it completely because of the specific plot. A really great movie, don't miss it!!!

Exactly how it was in real life...

Author: nikigt from Hungary
19 April 2011

Good news and bad at the same time: this film is mostly understandable for the Hungarian (or Eastern-European) viewers. It depicts perfectly the Hungarian way of thinking of the era, the fact that we could never really enjoy what we had and "worked like animals" just to save a few forints. This is the generation of my parents so I have seen many such characters around me - many unfinished houses, many human wrecks and failed education for the children. I heard the same lines and words in my real life, this film was like hearing them again but seeing it all from outside so you can understand what lies beneath these sentences just because you are suddenly outside of the situation and not involved in it.

These are the people you see on the Italian or Greek beach but never enjoying a coffee at a local bar but who prefer to bring bottled water and beer with themselves on the bus - just to save a few forints again. I am sorry for this generation because they truly worked hard through their lives and still could be happy only for some minutes.