IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 138: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

It never ceases to entertain me.

Author: AppleBlossom from Australia
25 March 2005

George Lucus stunned audiences with this outer space saga when it was released and deservingly so. It was a film quite like nothing anyone had seen before a truly visual and cinematic achievement. The story begins on Chapter IV and takes us on an action packed journey filled with aliens, intrigue and adventure. The success of Star Wars is ultimately due to the wonderful imagination of its director and of course to the extremely well orchestrated cast. I think George Lucas was riding high with his previous film success 'American Graffiti, but this is far removed from Star Wars, no similarities at all. I was simply captivated the first time I saw this film in the cinema's back in '77 and still am…although the big screen does give it more of an impact. Everything about Star Wars will definitely appeal to a vast audience from children to adults alike….it's a 'must see film' in my opinion. Then when you're finished watching Star Wars, just think; you have only 5 more chapters to go. 10/10

Amazing

Author: johnboy121 from United States
20 February 2005

This was quite possibly the greatest film of all time, I agree the acting was somewhat lacking, but the effects were beyond amazing, you got to remember, this was 1977. Lucas' vision was realized to its full potential and William's score carried the film to being the most successful film ever made, behind the hunk of crap titanic. The story was one the most original I've ever come across and the movie itself sparked the career of Harrison Ford, quite possibly one of the biggest actors in the 1980's and 90's. Although this was the first and last original Star Wars film to be directed by Lucas, it was quite possibly the best film to hit the market in the 1970's.

Different things to like about this

Author: antialias11 from Bonn, Germany
3 October 2004

Well, I just re-watched this on DVD. I first saw it when I was 10 in 1981, and I still love this move (one of my all time favorites), but I guess I love it for some reasons different than most other people:

1) The movie has no love story to speak of. This is such a huge bonus that it cannot be stressed enough. For kids a love story is sheer boredom - and there are unfortunately very few films without one. For adults the love story is usually pure BS (as the over romanticizing that goes on in Hollywood movies make any love story a nauseous experience. Episodes V and VI scrape the line of how much love story a movie can take before being totally corny. Lets not talk about how much the love story ruins episodes I and II (and will probably kill episode III also))

2) There are no lengths in the movie. It dumps you right in the middle of the conflict after the opening (no opening credits to bore your pants off! This is almost unique amongst films). It practically grabs you before you have gotten comfortable in your seat. The DVD does add some lengths with gratuitous CGI which actually hurt the film more than they help (the ride into Mos Eisley and the Falcon approaching Yavin seem interminable compared to the fast paced cuts of the original version. These scenes break the rhythm of the movie badly, they add neither story nor depth nor information - luckily they are far enough apart not to hurt it too much)

3) The special effects are still spectacular after all these years. Not in what they look like but how they are shot, the dynamics of it and the ideas for cool POVs (taking old aerial battle films as scripts was a stroke of genius)

4) Detail. This thing is all about attention to detail. There is nothing out of place here. Nothing glossed over by large plastic sheeting. everything has structure and depth and looks used. The world it portrays becomes believable. economies are worked out. This has the look of a good role playing adventure.

5) The plot isn't explained by the characters. Characters involved in such a plot for some time are supposed to know what the background is without having to talk to each other about it (nobody needs to be told that the empire is evil, this is common knowledge with these people as they have lived under it for decades). Putting things into the scroller at the beginning which could not be said by the characters because it would be akin to them holding up neon signs displaying "For the audiences' information" was a stroke of genius. I cringe at other movies that insert 'let me explain what is happening' scenes.

Overall I can see nothing wrong with this movie. The soundtrack and the sound effects are amazing. Some scenes seem to be re-recorded with different sound standards and thus stand out uncomfortably, but this isn't much of a problem. The actors do their jobs well (especially Harrison Ford when he flashes that roguish grin - he is practically the archetype of the lovable, charismatic scoundrel). This DVD is definitely a keeper (10/10).

Gives me the chills!

Author: nataliep325 from new york
29 September 2004

This movie came out a few years before i was even born, but somehow one of my first memories was seeing this movie. Every kid I knew loved star wars boy and girl. So basically if i had to sum up my childhood in two words it would be star wars. From the cantina scene to the death star first rate special effects. The opening crawl probably still brings a tear to my eye. Han solo just rocked and Luke skywalker was just adorable. I love the scene in the garbage chute, but my all time favorite scene is when Luke goes outside and looks out to the horizon (the famous shot of the two suns) and the classic music cues up. Oh my god it gives me the chills. awesome!

This is what classics are

Author: sprogers from Maryland, US
29 May 2004

I first saw this movie (or at least as far as I can remember) when i was about 4. It wasn't until I was about 8 that I really got into the whole saga. I have to say #4 isn't my favorite of the films, but it is the one that started the greatest sci fi epic ever. I think for it's time the special effects were magnificent. And the acting was done by REAL actors from back in the day. Now a days all I seem to see coming up in the thespian ranks are pretty boys and girls with fake boobs. What happened. Anyways, i think everyone should watch this movie at least once. If your not "enlightened" by it you'll at least be entertained by a few good humor spots.

Classic Science Fiction

Author: artemis_5 from Northern California
3 February 2004

"Star Wars" became a movie classic because it was intelligent science fiction that went beyond what had been done before in the genre. Lucas' space opera incorporated themes from world mythologies into a movie that both adults and children could appreciate. The result was a franchise that had both popular and intellectual appeal. I have heard college students discuss the Star Wars trilogy as if it were the "Illiad", and it does not seem silly at all for them to do so.

What was the appeal of "Star Wars." The first film in what is now sometimes referred to as "the original trilogy" (to distinguish it from the prequel trilogy) introduced the movie audience to "the force," which had both a dark side and a light side; as well as a "will". The universe at the beginning of Star Wars is controlled by an evil Empire, which is in turn being resisted by the "Alliance." The movie begins with the capture of an Alliance ship by an Imperial cruiser. As the movie's villain, Darth Vader, boards the ship in search of secret plans stolen by the Alliance, two droids (including one who has the missing plans) jettison to the surface of the planet around which the Alliance cruiser was orbiting. There they encounter a young farmer (Luke Skywalker), whose father (Anakin Skywalker) was a pilot in the "Clone Wars" (an important war, as we later find out), and an aging jedi knight named Obi Wan Kenobi (the jedi's having the power to use "the force" for combat and enlightenment). As the movie progresses, the jedi knight teaches the young farmer the jedi skills, and they join forces with a blockade runner named Han Solo and a princess named Leia, to fight the evil Empire.

This movie brilliantly sets the stage for events that occur during the next two films, but you have to see the entire trilogy to fully appreciate Lucas' contribution.

**Note: While it might be tempting in light of the release of the prequel trilogy to see them first, I think that it is best to see the original first, with the prequel trilogy filling in the gaps later.

Luke Skywalker, a boy with an unlikely encounter with two droids from the rebel alliance will initiate a line of events that will change Luke's life forever

Author: Justin Copeland from United States
18 November 2013

There are only a handful of movies I've given a perfect 10 out of 10, and Star Wars is in my opinion one of the best movie of all time. It is a movie with non stop excitement that will make you want to watch it over and over. The original Star Wars is an instant classic. If you haven't seen this movie, you have to go find some one who has it, and watch it. The amazing space story has original ideas and now in days I can relate a lot of action scenes back to Star Wars. Remember the opening scene of Man of Steel, when Jor-El was fleeing from General Zod's army. It looked like something straight out of Star Wars. I loved Man of Steel as much as the next person, but Star Wars is that original sci-fi adventure that you will love for ever. This first part of the original trilogy will set up two more movies that will lead to one of the greatest trilogies of all time. Please take my word for it and if you haven't seen it already go watch this movie as soon as possible. For the sake of your movication (yes I'm quoting Pitch Perfect) please watch Star Wars you will not be disappointed

For Starters!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
15 December 2007

This was the introductory fanaticism of laser works, as well as a bevy of special sound effects, and elaborate sci-fi costuming, which started a whole new revelation in the cinema world. Steven Spielberg mastered the art of galactic warfare through a limitless use of creative weaponry!! The enormous popularity of this film opened the floodgates for copious movies about space battle in the ensuing years ahead!! Initially intrigued by the hit television show "Star Trek", the American public took to the movie "Star Wars" because it pinpointed a sort of personification of a video arcade wonderland, as a result, "Star Wars" utterly fascinated the movie audience!! Harrison Ford is one of the all time box office legends in Hollywood, his big break was with the movie "Star Wars",,, Later, of course, he captivated millions with his stellar performance in "Raiders of the Lost Ark"!! Movies like "Star Wars" do not come along very often, when they do, they set a precedent in the film industry!! I found the film "Star Wars" to be way ahead of it's time with regard to the optical gimmickry that they so superbly effectuated!! The music to "Star Wars" is classic in it's charismatic demeanor, and, by and large, it is understandable that the most prominent critics in the film industry rank "Star Wars" as one of the greatest movies ever made!! "Star Wars" is always chosen as one of the top twenty films in the American movie market by the esoteric and discriminating critics of AFI!! Endless accolades go out to "Star Wars" and the incredible ingenuity it possesses to entertain the American movie goer!! WITHOUT QUESTION!! FIVE STARS!!!!

The Ultimate Modern Fairy Tale

Author: LaBelleAurore from United Kingdom
22 May 2005

This film single-handedly changed modern cinema to what we know it to be today. It is the ultimate modern fairy tale. A young knight runs off with a wise old wizard to save the princess from the clutches of evil. Of course, it runs a little deeper than that, and makes the old tale of good versus evil so much more compelling. Setting it long ago in a galaxy far, far away is pure genius and it introduces us to a futuristic galaxy of beautiful style and diversity that leaves us with a fantastic space opera. Despite its unfamiliar setting, we can relate to all the characters. There's the handsome maverick, the beautiful heroine, the aspiring young knight, the wise old mentor, and the darkly clad villain. Even the droids are characters we can recognise and relate to. What is so special about this film is that the distractions of things like politics, geography, and nationality are eliminated to leave us with simple humanity. This film has everything you could ever want. The characters are great; the action's great; the story is magnificent, and of course there's philosophy too.... Oh, what am I talking about? I just think lightsabers are cool...

One of the best (if not THE best) scifi movie ever made

Author: mansoor_lodi
10 March 2005

This movie came along when science fiction was a stagnant genre, it redefined the way we look at movies. This was the first movie in the star wars saga (the others include, the empire strikes back, return of the jedi, the phantom menace, attack of the clones revenge of the sith) and one of the better ones of the series.

Characters like Luke Skywalker, Ben Kenobi, Princess Leia, Han Solo and Darth Vader (arguably one of the best villains for a scifi movie) become instant classics.

This movie had its great, classic moments and remains my favourite film. The action in this movie is great, even today and the special effects were very good for their time.

Over the years Director George Lucas has made various alterations to the films which have upset many of the fans. I think that these alterations do not change what the film is about at its core, and does not change my mind that star wars (no matter what edition it is) is my favourite film.