IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 10 of 148: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Is it as controversial as they say?

Author: Tcole94 from United Kingdom
10 December 2011

By reading the title, you immediately think, what? But let me expand on that, there are continuous debates of forums everywhere. Is New Hope the only good Star Wars movie, and has Lucas ruined it with of the new CGI effects. I have to say I don't think so. Now of course I understand the fact that CGI has ruined the nostalgia of the original, but I still feel that the other Star Wars movies are great, especially the 6th movie.

I realised that I had side tracked a bit, but let me return to the main point. The movie is great and I feel that it was a brilliant idea by Lucas to make the 4th movie first. It gave the movie a quirk that will always make it stand out.

The cast are all excellent, but you can tell there is friction in the movie. Especially concerning Harrison Ford. Watching the Justin Lee Collins show years ago, I remember him saying that there were often arguments about the fact that Harrison thought he should had been Luke. But is it really bad that it wasn't? He not only got to play the well respected and well liked Han Solo, but he also got to make out with Carrie Fisher in her prime.

There is almost nothing to faultier, the effects of the original seemed futuristic and the story is so deep that if you're not careful you may lose yourself.

I would love to have been old enough to remember when this movie was first released and I would recommend it to almost anyone.

Exciting Space Adventure!

Author: courtneyec90 from United States
16 September 2011

Star Wars IV: A New Hope is a movie depicting a battle between the Rebels and Galactic Empire for control of the galaxy. Movie critics have defined the term theme as a central insight revealed in a film. The theme of Star Wars is centered on the character Luke Skywalker who becomes involved in the struggle between good and evil. Luke Skywalker, played by Mark Hamill, purchases two droids and discovers the connection between their previous owners, Obi-Wan Kenobi, played by Alec Guiness; and Princess Leia, played by Carrie Fisher. The droids reveal the kidnapping of the Princess by the Sith leader Darth Vader, voiced by James Earl Jones, and his plot to destroy planets with the powerful armed space station, the Death Star. With Obi-Wan's help, Luke and spaceship pilot Han Solo, played by Harrison Ford, set out to rescue the Princess from Darth Vader. The story of these characters and their ventures is continued in two more films, The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi.

The musical score of the movie is very effective in communicating the theme in many scenes. For instance, there is a scene where Luke is gazing at the horizon during sunset. He has just had a disagreement with his uncle about attending the academy before the next harvesting season. It is implied that he is thinking about his desire to leave the isolated planet of Tatooine and join in the Rebel's efforts. The instrumentation of the music in the background becomes the focus of the moment – the melancholy notes seem to communicate his miserable situation. At the same time, the music is also building, indicating the significance of the decisions he will make. During this moment, Luke realizes that he wants to change his future by leaving behind his minor existence.

The costumes and makeup used in Star Wars were very effective in enhancing the storyline. The bar sequence on Tatooine is a great example of the skills of the makeup and costume departments. The alien characters there represent an array of personalities. Also, Darth Vader's entire persona is mysterious because he is completely concealed throughout the movie. His black suit alludes to his being the bad guy of the film. His height also suggests that he is a figure of authority. Star Wars IV: A New Hope is only the beginning of the battle between Darth Vader's forces and the Rebels. The Empire Strike Back, the next movie in the Star Wars saga, has a similar theme. It continues the story of Luke and his friends as he learns more about how his personal history is intertwined with that of Darth Vader and Obi-Wan Kenobi.

In the beginning of Star Wars, Luke Skywalker is an inexperienced crop duster who has never left the planet of Tatooine. Throughout the course of the film, his character matures because of his experiences with the opposing Rebel and Galactic forces. I would recommend this film to anyone who wants to be entertained by an exciting adventure with distinctive characters and an interesting plot.

One of the Best Movies Ever Made

Author: Brooklyn Sherman
16 April 2011

I'll admit it: I'm a Star Wars geek. When I was ten, I decided I was going to go watch Star Wars one day, and now I'm in love. Sure the movies are long, but I do not understand how they're uninteresting. Anyone could fall asleep while watching it-- I have before-- but that can happen to ANYONE. Anyways, this movie starts a story about great perseverance. Luke keeps working on trying to be a Jedi, save his friends, and help the rebels triumph over the Empire.

I'm also going to rant about others who slam Star Wars. Maybe the effects are cheesy, but look at the time era. I've seen effects ten times cheesier in movies made in the 2000's than this. Yes, it's not real, you can tell, but it's not bad for '77. It's pretty convincable, actually, after you get past the whole science-fiction/space theme.

As for the space opera, I love it. This, of course, is only the beginning. I might be reviewing the whole original trilogy, but I love how Lucas started Leia and Han so spiteful towards each other and then blossomed that into love. That is my favorite relationship of all times. :3 People are slamming John Williams for music. First of all, I own the soundtracks to Episode IV, V, and VI, and I say it is excellent, along with critics. It totally suits the movie. People are also complaining about Lucas blasting the "Imperial March" every time Vader comes on the screen. I noticed that, but that was in Episode V, when that song was actually invented. It might've had a brief part of it in IV because it was new, but it didn't REALLY come around until V.

It's very addicting, and I applaud Ford's acting the best. This movie is what started my love for him. He did an awesome job bringing Han Solo's personality to life, and he's the reason Solo is one of the characters I wish were real.

That's about it for now. "Star Wars" is a great movie that will never EVER be forgotten nor lose fans.

Back when Star Wars was cool (spoilers)

Author: Ricky Roma (thepestilence001@yahoo.co.uk) from http://rioranchofilmreviews.blogspot.com/
1 July 2007

Contrary to popular opinion, Star Wars isn't the greatest film ever made. But neither is it, as some people would lead you to believe, the anti-Christ. Instead it's a very enjoyable film that has been blown out of all proportion by geeks and fanboys – yeah, walking carpets and lightsaber-wielding old men are fun, but they're not the height of cinema.

One of the reasons why the original films work and the new ones don't is that Lucas was restricted by money and technology. Here he isn't able to hide his deficiencies behind a barrage of CGI, meaning that he has to craft an interesting story. Of course this means his 'vision' is constrained, but when your ideal vision contains ten ton of needless effects, it's providential that the film came out before the advent of digital technology.

It's also worth noting that for all of Lucas' sighing and moaning about the state of film effects in the 70s that the original film still looks pretty great even now. There's something more tangible and believable about effective model work – you feel like you can reach out and touch the Star Destroyer at the beginning. And although you occasionally get the odd dodgy shot where you can see Death Star landscapes that are blatantly model kits stuck together, it's no more blatant than the horribly phoney CGI storm-troopers in the prequels – both take you out of the film for a moment; only in the case of the prequels the out of place effects work is far more frequent.

Something else that's worth noting is the newly installed Jabba scene. For all the money that must have been spent on it, the CGI Jabba looks far less convincing than the puppet. And the scene, besides needlessly setting up the later films – it's far better to have Jabba remain a mystery until you finally meet him – adds nothing to the film. It seems to be nothing more than an effects test for the prequels that followed closely on the heels of the '97 special edition release of the original trilogy.

Of course, the most controversial addition/alteration to Star Wars is Greedo shooting first. Quite why Lucas did this, I'm not sure, but it dilutes Han's character. The reason why he was every kid's favourite is that he was a badass. But now he's a slightly more ordinary hero. And although the alteration didn't rape my childhood like some pathetic fanboys exclaimed, it does reflect poorly on Lucas – the tinkering is pointless.

But even though some of the alterations are annoying, Lucas can't destroy a very enjoyable film. For instance, in light of the dire attempts at humour in the prequels, it's quite shocking how amusing Star Wars is. Just take the banter between the robots – they're like a bickering couple. And then you have the Han and Chewie relationship. Who knew that an ex-carpenter and an overgrown dog could have such good chemistry? And then you have pure slapstick moments like when R2-D2 gets captured by the Jawas – the way R2 falls over with a thud is magnificent.

But the film also has pathos. Take the scene where Luke looks at the setting suns, yearning for adventure, or when he's confronted with the dead bodies of his guardians. It's here that the film comes closest to transcending its B-movie origins. However, speaking of this scene, it's quite shocking to realise that this film was given a 'U' certificate in Britain. After all, this is a film where you see charred bodies and where someone gets their arm chopped off. It may not be Peckinpah, but it's not The Care Bears Movie either.

Another piece of violence that I adore in this film is when Vader strangles some Rebel officer and then tosses his dead body into a wall. It's so casual. It immediately sets Vader up as the baddest man in the galaxy. Too bad Lucas had to ruin the character in the prequels.

Something else that works for the film is how wet Luke is. He's the naïve, hopelessly optimistic hero that has probably never thought about a girl, let alone been with one. And then you have Han, the mercenary who loves money and is full of wisecracks. Both are a million miles away from the bland Jedi that poisoned the second trilogy. These are people that you can invest in and care for – they feel like flesh and blood, as opposed to the characters in the prequels, who talk and behave like automatons.

And purely from a personal point of view, I love the stromtroopers in this film. They must be the most hopeless fighting force in the universe. Not only can't they shoot straight, but they're irredeemably stupid, too. Just take the scene where they're scouting Mos Eisley for our heroes. At one point they tap on a door, proclaim it to be locked and move on. That's real thorough! And then you have the scene where the Millennium Falcon is swallowed by the Death Star. Some stormtroopers walk in, and after a two second search, proclaim it to be empty. Wonderful! And another thing I love is the way they don't bat an eyelid when one of their pals gets gunned down by Princess Leia at the beginning. Stupid and heartless; a wonderful combination (clumsy too, as proved by the infamous scene where one of the morons clonks his head on a door).

But a few other things that I've pondered over the years – why is Vader always fiddling with his joystick in his TIE fighter, why does an overly enthusiastic rebel pilot excessively bounce in his cockpit and why does Obi Wan only become a ghost instead of becoming 'more powerful than you can possibly imagine'? I doubt we'll ever have the answers...

Quit dissing Star Wars!

Author: hanxero from Reno, NV
25 September 2004

I have been reading some of the comments on this movie that some people have been putting up and frankly, I'm not happy. I know that there are a lot of flaws in this movie but so what? This is still a great movie. I've read comments on how the special effects suck and such. This just shows how ignorant some people are. The special effects in this movie were ground breaking. George Lucas basically founded modern special effects on this movies. If it were not for Star Wars there would probably be no LOTR. Which brings me to my next issue. I read someone comparing Star Wars with LOTR. They commented on how Star Wars sort of ripped off Gandalf using Obi Wan. WRONG! Gandalf and Obi Wan are both inspired by the "old wise man" template. That's right, I hate to break it to ya but Gandalf was not the original "old wise man". If George Lucas had never made Star Wars then he would probably never have started ILM (Industrial Light and Magic). Which would have set back the special effects in movies by decades. Meaning that without Star Wars there would be no LOTR. I am not saying I don't like LOTR because I love it. Comparing the movies Star Wars and LOTR is like comparing the authors Tolkien and Robert Jordan. It simply should not be done. I think Star Wars is a great movie and It deserves to be in the top ten. So before you try and comment on how bad this movie is try and realize where the special effects in the movie industry would be if it were not for this movie.

An epic for it's time, and still today

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 January 2004

OK, I know, I know. Nerds are supposidly the main audience for this film, but I know a lot people who wouldn't be considered a nerd loved this film. I remember as a child getting excited at the theme music itself. This film will never be forgotten.

One of the best Movies ever!

Author: gta3player500 from Levittown, Pennsylvania
15 May 2002

This movie is one of the best movies ever along with Spider-Man or Blade 2. This movie's got it all! Great scenarys, great special effects and great action. I give star wars 4 Stars for its special effects and its scenes.

Classic!

Author: Bob-376 from United Kingdom
12 May 2002

The original and the best! I find it a bit pointless to review films like this, because I really have never met anyone who hasn't seen it, however, considering I've seen it over 57 times, it's worth a mention, yes I know that's not much compared to some people(someone I know saw it 377 times!!! This film hasn't aged at all and is still so much fun. It has everything a fantasy/sci-fi/ adventure should have, and if you haven't seen it yet, then where have you been!! The sequels The empire strikes back, and return of the jedi are almost as good. But not the phantom menace!

11 in 77

Author: Pale Flag (Paperhouse@imagination.freeserve.co.uk) from London
2 August 2001

To truly appreciate the impact Star Wars had on the life on the average kid in 1977, you just had to be one of those kids. I was 11 back then and you can take it from me, Star Wars, was just the most exciting thing ever. Yeah I played with the toys, joined the fan club, bought the comics and all the rest of it but that's just regulation kids stuff. Star Wars fired the imagination like nothing before. I remember in the school playground acting out different scenes with my friends and arguing over who was going to be Luke. One time, so may kids wanted to join in we had to get a little creative in deciding who should do what. So just like in the film we got two people to play Vader. One did the voice and the other the sound of his breathing. Someone else had a curious talent for imitating the sound of doors opening and closing. We even had a couple of Jawa's for heaven's sake (Orteedee!). We'd have endless discussions about what Vader really looked like and how cool it would be to own a real Light Sabre - Wow! We kept scrapbooks, put posters on the wall, made models (badly) thought up quizzes to test each other, entered competitions and found endless other ways of enabling Star Wars to enter our lives. I just can't explain how much more of a "force" for fun and escapism it became above and beyond those first two awe inspiring hours at the picture house. Looking back I remember those days with much affection and still retain a fragment of the sense of wonder and excitement only "Star Wars" could evoke. The force is with me, even now.

The film that started it all

Author: Altaira from Wellington, New Zealand
28 June 1999

It's 1999, 22 years since the original release of Star Wars, and we still have people flocking to SW conventions, dedicating entire web sites to SW, spending hundreds of dollars on posters and action figures, and generally assuring that the SW frenzy will live forever. Okay, I'm not critical of the die-hard fans, since I am one myself and very proud of that. I am told I bear a striking resemblance to Carrie Fisher, so I dressed up like Leia for Halloween once, complete with the cinnamon-bun hair. (I wanted to be Yoda but the costume shop said the outfit only had one ear.) Regardless whether you're nuts about SW or not, it is a masterful exercise in filmmaking and the original movie was, of course nominated for an Academy Award. Pretty unheard of for a sci-fi/fantasy.

George Lucas famously described the trilogy as a "three-act play." Everyone is introduced in the first act, SW; they are placed in a dark, desperate mess in the second, ESB; and finally they get out of the hole in the final third, ROJ. This setup works fairly well for the trilogy, although some find fault with Lucas's idea. They say Star Wars has too little character involvement, Empire is too dark, and Return is too happy. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I think Lucas's strategy works well in the long-term effect. We grow to love the characters after three movies; things like that take time and sometimes multiple movies!!!

Although SW is not my favorite of the three (I find it somewhat campy and unemotional,) it was a fantastic starting block and lead-in to The Empire Strikes Back, which was one of the most anticipated sequels of all time. Mark Hamill was adequate as Luke Skywalker, although the whining was a little irritating. The aerial battle above and around the Death Star is fabulous. James Earl Jones immortalized the ominous voice of Darth Vader. Carrie Fisher is young and tenacious (and not as drugged out as in the second movie. I'm not cruel, just honest!) And Harrison Ford was absolutely perfect as the rough-n-tumble Han Solo.

Judging by its cult-like following (heck, even Wedge has his own fan club!), Star Wars is one of those immortal things, so you might as well love it.