IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 10 of 149: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

The first movie of the great old trilogy

Author: Jessica Carvalho from Brazil
1 February 2006

''Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope'' is the first movie from the old trilogy. I will always prefer the old Star Wars' trilogy than the modern one, and watching again this movie makes me feel very good! It is a period of civil war,since an evil Empire controlled by Darth Vader and the Emperor has the control of all the galaxies. Rebel bases finally had their first victory against the horrible Galactic Empire, and princess Leia, who is part of the Rebel Alliance is made a prisoner by Darth Vader, since she refuses to say where are the plans of the lethal weapon called 'Death Star'', who were stolen by the rebel spies. The Death Star is a big space station,capable of destroying an entire planet if it's owner desires. Darth Vader also wants to know where is the secret base of the Rebels to destroy it.

Since Princess Leia is a clever girl, she placed the plans of the Death Star in R2-D2, and send him to a special mission with C3PO in Tattoine, where he needs to finds where Obi Wan Kenobi is.

R2 and C3PO arrives in Tattoine with success, but after a time they are kidnapped by the Sand People, who wants to sell them; for their luck, their buyer is Luke Skywalker and his uncle Owen. At the same time that Lukes discovers that R2 needs to show the message for Obi wan, Vader's army went to Tattoinee to find R2 to recover their stolen plans. R2 goes after Obi Wan, and C3PO and Luke go after him. After being attacked by the Sand People and saved by Obi Wan, Luke tells him about the message in C3PO. All this time, Obi wan was hidden in Tattoine as a hermit with the name of 'Ben Kenobi'. Obi Wan then tells Luke many things about his past as a Jedi, and the fact that he was a friend of Luke's dad, Anakin. He also gives Luke a light saber that once belonged to Anakin. The Lars knows about the truth behind Luke's past, that's why specially uncle Owen never let him leave Tattoine.

Worried that the Imperial troops are searching for R2 and C3PO, Luke runs in his home's direction, but he discovers too late that his uncle and aunt were killed by then. Sad and without any attachments in Tattoine, Luke decides to go with Obi Wan to Alderaan to help Leia.

They two meet Chewbacca and Han Solo, who can take then to Alderaan. Once the money payments is sealed, they enter in the ''Millenniun Falcon'',Han's ship ,and they go to Alderaan's direction. The problem is: Alderaan is not there anymore. The ''Death Star'' destroyed Leia's native planet,since she refused to say where the rebel base stays.

Once Luke,Han and Obi Wan comes to save Leia and they succeed in their mission,they know will have other problem: destroy the Death Star.

Ps: I think that Obi Wan's death is too weak!

Ps2: How does Luke understand what R2 says to him?

Although I loved the movie. . . .

Author: David Peters (naerhu) from Japan
17 August 2005

This movie was a significant part of the childhood of almost every American born in the later third of the 20th century. This doesn't change the fact that Mark Hamil's acting is simply terrible and the action scenes are simply atrocious. There is no explanation as to why the Storm Troopers cannot aim their guns to save their lives. I don't understand why Obiwan is considered a crazy hermit, when the uncle knew him to be a Jedi knight. I still don't get the flashing lights and buttons on Darth's chest, why didn't Obiwan just use his force powers to switch off the power on the jump suit. Also it is supposed to be about twenty years from episode 3 to episode 4 but Obiwan ages like 40 years. Whats up with that? That whole suicide by Vader thing is incredibly lame, too. Don't get me wrong parts of the movie were absolutely brilliant (esp. acting by Harrison Ford), but it definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

Classic bit of fun sci-fi – a space western!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 June 2002

The Republic has fallen and the Empire rules the galaxy as a dictatorship, seeking to destroy dissenting voices. The Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, is fully on line and capable of destroying whole systems. The Jedi have been destroyed, save a few living in hiding, unable to compete with the force of the Empire. However Princess Leia has the plans showing a weakness within the Death Star. Before she is captured by Darth Vader she gives them to droids C3PO and R2D2 and they escape. When they land on a nearby planet they find Luke Skywalker and set out to find the owner of the droids Obi Wan Kenobi, or Old Ben Kenobi. Obi Wan begins to train Luke in the way of the force as they try to get the information to the Rebellion before the Death Star can be used at full power.

It's not a brilliant piece of filmmaking – lets be honest, Lucas isn't the Shakespeare of our generation. However what it is, is a good story of good v's evil, a western of goodies v baddies set in space. The story is simple but contains clear characters. The thing that sets it apart is the fun – the sense of wonder for kids but also the enjoyment it brings to adult. The story is good for a sci-fi with a lot of history and back-story clearly set out up front. The action scenes are mostly great – not dry effects but with a real sense of action and excitement too.

This may be the 4th part but it's also our first chapter, it is light and enjoyable but hints that this is only part of an ongoing battle. The way it relates to kids and adults is obvious as it broke records and everyone of a certain age knows about Star Wars! The effects still look good today – in many ways the model work looks better than all digital effects simply because they are `real' and don't just exist within a computer. Sound effects, comedy, music – it's all pitch perfect and sets up the rest of the series really well.

Hamil is ok as Skywalker (`Blonde hair, blue eyes' – Chasing Amy!). He is suitable for a kids film and he does well with his role. However like part 1 has Anakin at his least interesting, part 4 has Luke yet to develop into darker areas. Ford is perfect as Han Solo – he adds character and flair to some dry performances. Alec Guinness adds maturity to the whole film and is so good is Obi Wan that even Ewan McGregor just does an impression rather than recreate the role. Darth Vader is just the right side of silly camp villain, Jones' voice is a perfect fit and he has real menace and power. Bits players such as Chewie, C3PO, R2D2 etc all add comedy in spades.

Overall this film is even better now that we know how it all fits together in Star Wars `history'. But even without all the hype this is a really fun sci-fi that is enjoyable, simple and really good fun to watch if you're in the mood. Having a deeper perspective on it just makes it all the better.

Our boring, boring, galaxy

Author: RichyMack from United States
11 November 2015

I can't see how any adult could sit through this mixed bag of Sesame looking,and Sesame named,characters. I took my kids to see this boring, boring, movie in it's debut. 10 min into the movie I realized, this movie is meant for the 10 to 15 year old mentality as are most of today's movies. Special explosive effects, stupid unpronounceable character names is the ticket for the Oscar, no need for a story. Although,this movie had a story that no kid or adult could understand . Then when you start remaking the movie dozens of times over like Jaws 15, Rocky 85, the Harry Potter series,and even the God Father 3 it destroys the original movie they start to look like all our cable re run movies. All those Star Wars chronicles are just a reminder of today's adolescent movie mentality. I fell asleep during the first movie and my kids 8 and 12 could not tell me what is was about. I tried again to watch it a few years later but couldn't make to the end it was like I was being put through a KGB torture interrogation. Sorry Star War fans but I'm on to TCM to watch an adult flick I'll leave the Stars War series to the kiddies and the Star Trek fans.

The ultimate space adventure!

Author: Stefan Ellison from Canada
5 July 2007

I don't think there's any denying that Star Wars changed cinema history and deservedly so. At the time of its release, science-fiction was considered a dead genre with the only major films from Hollywood's recent cannon being the work from Stanley Kubrick and cheesy, yet still fun flicks like Logan's Run. Yet, no other futuristic movie wowed more than George Lucas's space opera. From that infamous opening scroll, featuring that amazing heart-pumping score, to the end credits, people were gripped and hoping their heroes that had grown to know those two previous hours could come out alive. While, George Lucas did give his Jedi knights more adventures, I don't think any of those sequels and certainly not the prequels have managed to come close to the original Star Wars that practically defined the baby boom generation. Watching the film again recently, I am still impressed by the awesome power of the movie and the fact that even after thirty years after its release, it gets me more excited than the latest Hollywood blockbuster. Sorry, Michael Bay, but you're no George Lucas, that's for certain.

After two droids crash-land on the desert planet of Tatooine, they are immediately captured and sold to a young farm boy called Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), who desperately wants to leave the rock he lives on with his aunt and uncle. While fixing one of the droids, he finds a message from Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), requesting the help of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guiness). Luke finds Kenobi, a hermit living in the mountains, who tells Luke of his family history. His father was a Jedi knight, killed by the evil Darth Vader and now Kenobi decides it is time to teach him the way of the Force. After Luke finds his family's home destroyed by stormtroopers looking for the two droids, they decide to find their way to another planet. They enlist the help of space pirate Han Solo (Harrison Ford), who decides to give them a lift. On the way, they find the Death Star, a giant space station run by Darth Vader, with the ability to destroy any planet of the solar system. Now, they must enter the Death Star, find and rescue the Princess and destroy the station before it produces anymore harm.

George Lucas has been criticised for his so-called lack of direction and screen writing abilities, but I don't think most people can deny that Star Wars packs a mean punch in terms of solid entertainment. While Star Wars is playing, all eyes are on the screen savouring every delicious moment, whether it be a fantastic lightsaber duel or a quiet scene between Luke and Obi-Wan. The visual effects (including those in the special editions) are seriously some of the best in motion picture history as they manage to make the viewer believe they're in space, surrounded by various creatures and flying ships. Lucas has gotten a lot of negative criticism for the fact that he believes that the updated version of Star Wars is the ultimate way to see the film, but I don't mind. The special effects are better and they certainly do add to the experience. Greedo shooting first? It's such a quick, minor scene that goes by at such a fast rate, that I don't really mind. I understand where the die-hard fans are coming from, but for the casual viewer, it's practically nothing. Adding to the impressive technical delight of Star Wars as well is John Williams's magnificent score, the best in any Hollywood film. I seriously don't think the film would be as highly regarded as it is, if it wasn't for the fantastic music. I seriously would probably enjoy the film even less without it.

Yet, I think the lasting appeal of Star Wars has to be the characters. Every child growing up wants to be like Luke Skywalker, the young Jedi who just wants to save the universe from possible destruction. Meanwhile, the older folks in the audience have the wise Obi-Wan Kenobi to relate and as Yoda shows in the other five films, that old age does not remove one of their abilities. Han Solo represents the coolness of Star Wars and Harrison Ford plays him with enough spunk and gusto to warrant what might be a minor character as a personal favourite of mine. And then, there's Darth Vader, the most famous character and the most chilling villain of the 20th century. James Earl Jones will always be connected with with this constantly breathing menace with a past of many hidden secrets. Even the stormtroopers tremble in his wake, for fear that he will force-choke them to death. With thrilling action, impressive visuals, lovable and both frightening characters and a world full of fascination and adventure, it's hard to go wrong with Star Wars, the epic journey of our hearts and inner wants.

Impressive,the most impressive!

Author: nikxatz from Greece
28 June 2016

Star Wars!A brave hero,a princess,an amazing bad guy,a cool smuggler,2 funny robots and of course a green alien!Everything that a perfect science-fiction film needs!In my opinion,Star Wars is and will always be one of the best movies because it combines adventure with drama and a...lot of fantasy!It is also a nice story about an evil father, his powerful son and his courageous daughter,Leia!Moreover it has great effects for a film in the 80s and includes amazing characters,an interesting plot and nice fights between evil and good!Star Wars 4 is great,due to ...everything and especially the begging with Darth Vader and the blowing of the Death Star!!!Although, my favourite Star Wars film is" The Empire Strikes Back"because of Yoda,the green alien and of the fight between father and son which is absolutely amazing!I consider all Star Wars films epic!Star Wars is a part of my life and of my culture and it will always be!May the force be with you!

The day the world changed forever!

Author: danielaustin-735-484497 from United Kingdom
12 June 2016

A low budget sci-fi popcorn flick that changed movies and Hollywood forever!

I don't know where to start with this film as it changed the world. We had had some SFX in old fantasy films like Sinbad or Jason and the argonauts or space oddessy 2001 but when I sat down I the cinema for the fist time nothing could prepare me for what was about to happen!

The opening sequence where the camera pans down to the planet followed by the rebel ship and then the star destroyer flying over your head. No one had seen or imagined anything like this was possible let alone watching it right before their eyes! And it kept on getting better!

it was like having a black &a white TV and then suddenly walking into a 3D IMAX! You couldn't comprehend what was actually happening.

There is often a debate about the greatest movie of all time. Some say Citizen Kane or Shawshank to name a few but for me it's Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

The score is ahead of its time. To be honest nothing has ever come close. It makes a massive impact on all 3 original films.

Let's review it by breaking it down:

Story - classic story which had stood the test of time Special Effect - absolutely amazing Set design - original, faultless and imaginative Musical score - absolute classic Pace of the film - spot on

When I first saw this film I was blown away! I had never seen anything like it and come to think of it I really have. for me it's an all time classic that changed the movie industry for ever.

If you're sitting at home reading this, rake it out and watch it now. It will put a smile on your face and that's what it's all about.

For those who haven't given this a 10 I can't understand it.

The movie that is the definition of 'a movie'

Classic Film

Author: Justin MacIver from Belton Tx
10 June 2016

This movie has defined a generation, and spawned a multimedia empire. With its now classic scrolling text, it created a new genre of film - the space opera. Influenced by Joseph Campbell, Lucas created a space western that hadn't been re-created since in any serious way. Even the much loved Firefly never had the same cult following. Star Wars' timeless feel resides in its classic archetypes the white hats. black hats to boo, and a classic princess to be rescued. It has a John Ford feel, with comedic relief in the twin yin yang feel of the droids R2-D2 and C3P0, the teacher with Obiwan, the lovable rogue Han Solo, the sidekick with a heart of gold Chewie, the student Skywalker and the love interest with a kick Lea. This is one film series that will end up outliving us all.

Where it all began

Author: davekeanu
6 June 2016

I remember when I was 9 years old when this movie was repeated on channel 10 and I found it really enjoyable to watch. The story is very strong for a SCIF movie. The costumes are very good for the aliens and the robots too. The most likable characters are Luke sykerwalker Han Solo and C3po and R2D2 But I think its the droids are the ones who steal the comedy in this movie As always the story always go for a part 2 so their is always a little more more to the story and secrets being revealed latter on in the series. Overall This is another classic masterpiece that is wroth watching.

The beginning of a movie symbol.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
28 May 2016

In this film, we see the struggle of the rebels to destroy a secret weapon of the Galactic Empire, whose great general is Darth Vader, a dark, sadistic and mysterious character. Directed and written by George Lucas, this film has the participation of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guinness and David Prowse.

This film marks a before and an after in the sci fi. It's essential in this film genre, becoming, thanks to an imperishable popularity, a cinema icon, given the social and cultural importance that it has acquired over the decades. With an audience always faithful and unconditional admirers, the Star Wars saga continues to this day to impress and captivate. The actors were always excellent in their roles, the director/writer is one of the biggest sci-fi genius, the script is very good and the story has no dead moments: it's an intergalactic adventure that only stops at the end. No doubt that this film is excellent, it is a work of art. However, it seems that the latest audiences have more difficulty in enjoy this film, given the lack of the colorful and vividness of the actual computerized effects and cinematography. They have to understand that this film has been done in a given period, with all the available techniques at the time. And if they understand this well, they're more easily able to admire it. In fact, although the picture is quite different from what we are used to actually, it's still very well done. The special, visual and sound effects have always been good, and leave us amazed to think it's a movie with more than thirty years. The soundtrack is something that makes our hearts pounding. John Williams did an extraordinary job and managed to catapult himself to stardom, with great and deserved merit. I only have one bad comment to do: some of the effects and scenes, such as explosions and fire in the middle of outer space, where there is no oxygen, are scientifically impossible, and this should have been predicted by the production team before the film release. But this kind of errors are endemic in sci-fi.

This film won the Oscar for Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Sound, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects and Best Soundtrack, which shows the quality of the work developed here. Definitely, despite some wrinkles, this film is like a well-dressed and made up lady, looking younger than it really is.