IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 138: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

An epic for it's time, and still today

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
10 January 2004

OK, I know, I know. Nerds are supposidly the main audience for this film, but I know a lot people who wouldn't be considered a nerd loved this film. I remember as a child getting excited at the theme music itself. This film will never be forgotten.

One of the best Movies ever!

Author: gta3player500 from Levittown, Pennsylvania
15 May 2002

This movie is one of the best movies ever along with Spider-Man or Blade 2. This movie's got it all! Great scenarys, great special effects and great action. I give star wars 4 Stars for its special effects and its scenes.

Classic!

Author: Bob-376 from United Kingdom
12 May 2002

The original and the best! I find it a bit pointless to review films like this, because I really have never met anyone who hasn't seen it, however, considering I've seen it over 57 times, it's worth a mention, yes I know that's not much compared to some people(someone I know saw it 377 times!!! This film hasn't aged at all and is still so much fun. It has everything a fantasy/sci-fi/ adventure should have, and if you haven't seen it yet, then where have you been!! The sequels The empire strikes back, and return of the jedi are almost as good. But not the phantom menace!

11 in 77

Author: Pale Flag (Paperhouse@imagination.freeserve.co.uk) from London
2 August 2001

To truly appreciate the impact Star Wars had on the life on the average kid in 1977, you just had to be one of those kids. I was 11 back then and you can take it from me, Star Wars, was just the most exciting thing ever. Yeah I played with the toys, joined the fan club, bought the comics and all the rest of it but that's just regulation kids stuff. Star Wars fired the imagination like nothing before. I remember in the school playground acting out different scenes with my friends and arguing over who was going to be Luke. One time, so may kids wanted to join in we had to get a little creative in deciding who should do what. So just like in the film we got two people to play Vader. One did the voice and the other the sound of his breathing. Someone else had a curious talent for imitating the sound of doors opening and closing. We even had a couple of Jawa's for heaven's sake (Orteedee!). We'd have endless discussions about what Vader really looked like and how cool it would be to own a real Light Sabre - Wow! We kept scrapbooks, put posters on the wall, made models (badly) thought up quizzes to test each other, entered competitions and found endless other ways of enabling Star Wars to enter our lives. I just can't explain how much more of a "force" for fun and escapism it became above and beyond those first two awe inspiring hours at the picture house. Looking back I remember those days with much affection and still retain a fragment of the sense of wonder and excitement only "Star Wars" could evoke. The force is with me, even now.

The film that started it all

Author: Altaira from Wellington, New Zealand
28 June 1999

It's 1999, 22 years since the original release of Star Wars, and we still have people flocking to SW conventions, dedicating entire web sites to SW, spending hundreds of dollars on posters and action figures, and generally assuring that the SW frenzy will live forever. Okay, I'm not critical of the die-hard fans, since I am one myself and very proud of that. I am told I bear a striking resemblance to Carrie Fisher, so I dressed up like Leia for Halloween once, complete with the cinnamon-bun hair. (I wanted to be Yoda but the costume shop said the outfit only had one ear.) Regardless whether you're nuts about SW or not, it is a masterful exercise in filmmaking and the original movie was, of course nominated for an Academy Award. Pretty unheard of for a sci-fi/fantasy.

George Lucas famously described the trilogy as a "three-act play." Everyone is introduced in the first act, SW; they are placed in a dark, desperate mess in the second, ESB; and finally they get out of the hole in the final third, ROJ. This setup works fairly well for the trilogy, although some find fault with Lucas's idea. They say Star Wars has too little character involvement, Empire is too dark, and Return is too happy. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I think Lucas's strategy works well in the long-term effect. We grow to love the characters after three movies; things like that take time and sometimes multiple movies!!!

Although SW is not my favorite of the three (I find it somewhat campy and unemotional,) it was a fantastic starting block and lead-in to The Empire Strikes Back, which was one of the most anticipated sequels of all time. Mark Hamill was adequate as Luke Skywalker, although the whining was a little irritating. The aerial battle above and around the Death Star is fabulous. James Earl Jones immortalized the ominous voice of Darth Vader. Carrie Fisher is young and tenacious (and not as drugged out as in the second movie. I'm not cruel, just honest!) And Harrison Ford was absolutely perfect as the rough-n-tumble Han Solo.

Judging by its cult-like following (heck, even Wedge has his own fan club!), Star Wars is one of those immortal things, so you might as well love it.

Masterpiece in disguise

Author: Zachary Aufdemberg (ska7733@aol.com)
29 December 1998

Some claim that Star Wars is nothing more than a simple morality tale that borrowed from classic mythology with good special effects. Comments have been made about the film that it has a simple story and that the movie has simple characters. While all of these claims may have some validity, to say that the film has no depth is unfair. When one studies how much thought really was put in Lucas' trilogy, they should be amazed. While the film borrows from mythology, Lucas has made sure that each film has a major twist from its ancestors. In the first film for example, Luke goes to rescue a princess, but instead she is the one that ends up saving him. Not only does the story telling have a twist on classic mythology, it has an underlying theme and many sub-themes that no other movie can match. After studying the trilogy, redemption is the theme most often explored. Every major "good" character in the trilogy at one time falls and then redeems himself. The ultimate redemption being Darth Vader who will be the main character in the new trilogy being developed as I type. As for the characters being simple, this seems unfair. They are archtypes. Characters common throughout all cultures. Also, all the major characters have motivation for their actions unlike most good guy/bad guy movies. The bad guys in the films are bad because of human flaws such as the struggle for power and greed. They are not simple bad for bad's sake. Even the main villain of the trilogy becomes very human by the end of the trilogy when he redeems himself. The film doesn't show the bad guys only as something to shoot at, but as human beings that have been lead astray. The two trilogies are ultimately about how a human being can become a monster, and that a monster is still a human being in the end. The Star Wars trilogy has more depth than at first glance. Though it does have spectacular effects, this is only to pull the viewer into the great story-telling.

The Best movie of all time!

Author: Leareth from Perth, Australia
25 November 1998

I have seen this movie so many times, I know the script, I collect the books, ask me any question on Star Wars I could probably answer it.

Star Wars is the best movie ever made. It has everything - plot, special effects, great script, endearing characters, one could go on and on about it. It has opened up an entire new universe in a galaxy far, far away. And the best thing about it, it can never end. As I had never seen Star Wars in the cinema it was absolutely AMAZING to see the famous opening line and the prologue disappearing into space. The best thing about it is that it is labelled Episode 4 - a promise of things to come. Of course everyone has seen this movie and its sequels (if not, you've been living in a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away . . . .) And everyone has to admit that its originality at least makes this one of the best movies of all time.

great film

Author: ScottSchewe from Honolulu, United States
3 December 2013

Classic film. Great story & characters. graphics & technical stuff was good for its time! The Sci-fi era had started to really boom after this movie. Character chemistry & casting were really great. the interaction with Luke, Han, Leia, Darth Vader was brilliant. Music is timeless, always fun to listen to, especially the French horns! The sound effects, robotics & animation were so ahead of its time, simply awesome. modeling were brilliant. Costumes were spot on for the vision of the film. Make up only enhanced the costumes. Classic good versus evil is always a good sell. I am now a sci-fi watcher because of this film, and I now can really appreciate the hard work & far out vision it took to make this film.

The First of a great series

Author: fbger
17 November 2013

Probably the best Star Wars movie ever made, if not the best movie ever made. Great Sci-Fy movie which should have been seen by any who like science-fiction (or any who enjoy cinema). The actors are great, especially Harrison Ford and Alec Guinness. This movie is a Masterpiece, flawless, never aging. George Lucas greatest work (followed close by the Raider of The Lost Ark). The Star Wars Universe is rich, grandiose, with so many opportunities, this movie really is the beginning of the greatest movie series of All time. Every scenes are really impressive, might feel avant-guard for the time it was released in cinema but still receive a great public appreciation.

A Favourite Childhood Memory!

Author: ChristinaNicholls from United States
23 June 2013

There is nothing I can type here that has not been covered by previous reviewers so I will just leave it at this:

For those that haven't watched Star Wars; please remedy that if you're a Sci-Fi fan or just a fan of films with a rich story. Star Wars was one of my favourite films as a child and it continues to be a source of both nostalgic wonder and a film that will always hold a special place with a geek/fan girl like me. The reviewer whom stated that Star Wars is a "Kid's Fantasy. An Adult's Memory" was spot on! I was three years from being born when the film was released in theatres but I was lucky enough to grow up with big brothers who introduced me as soon as I was old enough to watch. I cannot thank them enough for that.

There is nothing better than reliving the epic stories of the Star Wars films on a rainy weekend!