IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 7 of 150: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Epic in every way

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
25 May 2005

A classic story with a perfect cast, memorable score and dazzling special effects. Movies don't get any better than this. More space opera than true sci-fi, Star Wars takes you on a magical ride through a galaxy far, far away.

The first moment of genius comes right at the very start with a written crawl which gives a basic plot outline and without which all that immediately followed would be hard to place in context. After John Williams' now legendary opening theme we are thrust into the first of many thrilling space battles to come. Almost immediately we are introduced to one of the great movie villains of all time, Darth Vader who is voiced with true menace by James Earl Jones, and it becomes clear that this film is not quite like anything we have seen before.

Star Wars may seem to be your typical good versus evil swashbuckling adventure but there's a lot more going on here. The hero, Luke Skywalker, is your typical simple, clean-cut farm boy who will soon be thrust into the middle of a galactic war of as grand a scale as could be imagined. But he is not our only hero. Princess Leia, a leader of the rebellion against the evil Galactic Empire, is certainly not your typical helpless fairy-tale princess. She gives as good as she gets. Obi-Wan Kenobi is the older, wiser more seasoned hero and the mentor young Luke will desperately need. Han Solo is a space pirate in it only for the money, not for any revolution. Solo's first mate aboard his ship, the Milennium Falcon, is Chewbacca, a giant Wookiee who is remarkably adept at space flight for a creature which resembles a hairy two-legged dog. Also along for the ride to help our heroes are the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 who provide not only critical help for our heroes but some comic relief for the audience.

The performances in Star Wars are all first-rate. Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker plays the young, naive Skywalker very well and Hamill grows right along with the character throughout the film. Carrie Fisher brings the appropriate smarts, skills, sophistication and determination to Princess Leia. Without Fisher's quality performance it might be hard to believe that this young woman could play such a pivotal role in a rebellion of this magnitude. Alec Guinness is reliably brilliant as old Jedi master Kenobi. He is mysterious, quiet and reserved yet very strong indeed. Stealing the show is Harrison Ford as Han Solo. It seems Ford gets all the best lines and he makes the most of them. Luke Skywalker may be the nominal hero of the film but it is Ford as Solo from which Star Wars gets most of its personality.

George Lucas has crafted a true masterpiece here. The classic struggle of the underdog against the evil oppressor takes on many new twists here. The mysterious Force, the foreboding and menacing Darth Vader, alien creatures of all imaginable shapes and sizes, the epic nature of a battle which rages across an entire galaxy...in the end it all comes together to form something unique and truly wonderful. With action and adventure on a grand scale, fascinating characters on both sides of the fight, special effects that were revolutionary for the time and an ever-building sense of drama and excitement Star Wars is an absolute triumph.

The Ultimate Modern Fairy Tale

Author: LaBelleAurore from United Kingdom
22 May 2005

This film single-handedly changed modern cinema to what we know it to be today. It is the ultimate modern fairy tale. A young knight runs off with a wise old wizard to save the princess from the clutches of evil. Of course, it runs a little deeper than that, and makes the old tale of good versus evil so much more compelling. Setting it long ago in a galaxy far, far away is pure genius and it introduces us to a futuristic galaxy of beautiful style and diversity that leaves us with a fantastic space opera. Despite its unfamiliar setting, we can relate to all the characters. There's the handsome maverick, the beautiful heroine, the aspiring young knight, the wise old mentor, and the darkly clad villain. Even the droids are characters we can recognise and relate to. What is so special about this film is that the distractions of things like politics, geography, and nationality are eliminated to leave us with simple humanity. This film has everything you could ever want. The characters are great; the action's great; the story is magnificent, and of course there's philosophy too.... Oh, what am I talking about? I just think lightsabers are cool...

The first is the best

Author: overlord1987 from United States
26 April 2005

I loved this movie. I have always loved this movie. I always will love this movie. It is simply amazing. The actors, Harrison Ford, Mark Hamil and Carrie Fisher all did an excellent job. However my favorite character was Darth Vader. He is evil with being ugly or digusting. The high level of quality from a film made in 1977 is astounding. Still being from the seventies, this film has some pretty interesting hair. But it is THE film that defined how science fiction movies are supposed to be. I did my term paper on the affects of Star Wars on the science fiction genre and the movie industry itself. Needless to say I didn't have to work that hard, the movies speaks for itself. If you haven't seen it, watch it. I love this film.

I'll tell you why this movie is so great...

Author: pavo6503 from Albany, NY
8 April 2005

I was four years old when I saw this movie and I remembered the whole thing, from beginning to end. It was summer and my family was spending a month at our camp. One day my sister (2 years old at the time) and I had been fighting all day. My parents sent us off to bed for a nap before dinner and I grudgingly complied. I was awoken by my father, he was asking me if I wanted to go see a movie. "It has spaceships, and robots, and lasers, you'll love it!" I looked at him through swollen eyes and asked, "does Jenna get to go to?" When I heard him say no, I knew I was in for a HUGE treat. We arrived at a nearly empty theater, and took our seats. When the first jarring chord of the theme hit me, and my father began reading the opening story, I was captivated. It was the happiest day of my life. To hell with all your nitpicking. When something makes that great an impression on a four year old, you know it has to be something truly special. By the way, I'm wearing the Boba Fett t-shirt my son's mother gave me as a gift. And no, I'm not some greasy, Star Wars obsessed dork. Well, not any more...

It never ceases to entertain me.

Author: AppleBlossom from Australia
25 March 2005

George Lucus stunned audiences with this outer space saga when it was released and deservingly so. It was a film quite like nothing anyone had seen before a truly visual and cinematic achievement. The story begins on Chapter IV and takes us on an action packed journey filled with aliens, intrigue and adventure. The success of Star Wars is ultimately due to the wonderful imagination of its director and of course to the extremely well orchestrated cast. I think George Lucas was riding high with his previous film success 'American Graffiti, but this is far removed from Star Wars, no similarities at all. I was simply captivated the first time I saw this film in the cinema's back in '77 and still am…although the big screen does give it more of an impact. Everything about Star Wars will definitely appeal to a vast audience from children to adults alike….it's a 'must see film' in my opinion. Then when you're finished watching Star Wars, just think; you have only 5 more chapters to go. 10/10

Amazing

Author: johnboy121 from United States
20 February 2005

This was quite possibly the greatest film of all time, I agree the acting was somewhat lacking, but the effects were beyond amazing, you got to remember, this was 1977. Lucas' vision was realized to its full potential and William's score carried the film to being the most successful film ever made, behind the hunk of crap titanic. The story was one the most original I've ever come across and the movie itself sparked the career of Harrison Ford, quite possibly one of the biggest actors in the 1980's and 90's. Although this was the first and last original Star Wars film to be directed by Lucas, it was quite possibly the best film to hit the market in the 1970's.

Different things to like about this

Author: antialias11 from Bonn, Germany
3 October 2004

Well, I just re-watched this on DVD. I first saw it when I was 10 in 1981, and I still love this move (one of my all time favorites), but I guess I love it for some reasons different than most other people:

1) The movie has no love story to speak of. This is such a huge bonus that it cannot be stressed enough. For kids a love story is sheer boredom - and there are unfortunately very few films without one. For adults the love story is usually pure BS (as the over romanticizing that goes on in Hollywood movies make any love story a nauseous experience. Episodes V and VI scrape the line of how much love story a movie can take before being totally corny. Lets not talk about how much the love story ruins episodes I and II (and will probably kill episode III also))

2) There are no lengths in the movie. It dumps you right in the middle of the conflict after the opening (no opening credits to bore your pants off! This is almost unique amongst films). It practically grabs you before you have gotten comfortable in your seat. The DVD does add some lengths with gratuitous CGI which actually hurt the film more than they help (the ride into Mos Eisley and the Falcon approaching Yavin seem interminable compared to the fast paced cuts of the original version. These scenes break the rhythm of the movie badly, they add neither story nor depth nor information - luckily they are far enough apart not to hurt it too much)

3) The special effects are still spectacular after all these years. Not in what they look like but how they are shot, the dynamics of it and the ideas for cool POVs (taking old aerial battle films as scripts was a stroke of genius)

4) Detail. This thing is all about attention to detail. There is nothing out of place here. Nothing glossed over by large plastic sheeting. everything has structure and depth and looks used. The world it portrays becomes believable. economies are worked out. This has the look of a good role playing adventure.

5) The plot isn't explained by the characters. Characters involved in such a plot for some time are supposed to know what the background is without having to talk to each other about it (nobody needs to be told that the empire is evil, this is common knowledge with these people as they have lived under it for decades). Putting things into the scroller at the beginning which could not be said by the characters because it would be akin to them holding up neon signs displaying "For the audiences' information" was a stroke of genius. I cringe at other movies that insert 'let me explain what is happening' scenes.

Overall I can see nothing wrong with this movie. The soundtrack and the sound effects are amazing. Some scenes seem to be re-recorded with different sound standards and thus stand out uncomfortably, but this isn't much of a problem. The actors do their jobs well (especially Harrison Ford when he flashes that roguish grin - he is practically the archetype of the lovable, charismatic scoundrel). This DVD is definitely a keeper (10/10).

Gives me the chills!

Author: nataliep325 from new york
29 September 2004

This movie came out a few years before i was even born, but somehow one of my first memories was seeing this movie. Every kid I knew loved star wars boy and girl. So basically if i had to sum up my childhood in two words it would be star wars. From the cantina scene to the death star first rate special effects. The opening crawl probably still brings a tear to my eye. Han solo just rocked and Luke skywalker was just adorable. I love the scene in the garbage chute, but my all time favorite scene is when Luke goes outside and looks out to the horizon (the famous shot of the two suns) and the classic music cues up. Oh my god it gives me the chills. awesome!

This is what classics are

Author: sprogers from Maryland, US
29 May 2004

I first saw this movie (or at least as far as I can remember) when i was about 4. It wasn't until I was about 8 that I really got into the whole saga. I have to say #4 isn't my favorite of the films, but it is the one that started the greatest sci fi epic ever. I think for it's time the special effects were magnificent. And the acting was done by REAL actors from back in the day. Now a days all I seem to see coming up in the thespian ranks are pretty boys and girls with fake boobs. What happened. Anyways, i think everyone should watch this movie at least once. If your not "enlightened" by it you'll at least be entertained by a few good humor spots.

The Beginning of a Wonderful Trilogy of Films

Author: Michael Kelley from United States
16 December 2013

Well, the only way to begin this review is to mention when I saw "Star Wars" for the very first time. I was merely a baby, from what I recall my parents telling me before their divorce. I wasn't even born when this first feature film hit theatres. I'm nineteen now, but I must admit that "Star Wars" was one of the many things that decorated my childhood. I always adored it, and always looked-up to Luke Skywalker. It was the type of view I can only assume all boys had; we all wanted to be a Luke Skywalker. We wanted to be the cool hero with a lightsaber. In this review, I will do my very best not to give you a biased review. However, forgive me, for I have always been a "Star Wars" fanatic. This was my first re-viewing in quite a while, so at least I'm reviewing the film with a clear set of eyes.

When two droids, C3-PO and R2-D2, escape the clutches of a shoot-out on a spaceship, they land on a desert-covered landscape, only to find themselves captured as slaves. They are reunited among the slavetraders, called Jawas. The Empire realizes that Princess Leia Organa had sent a message along with one of the droids who managed to escape the attack, so they begin to hunt for R2-D2 and C3-PO. Little does the Empire know that a young man, Luke Skywalker, and his uncle, Owen, had just purchased the two droids from the Jawas. While cleaning the two droids up, Luke stumbles upon the message Princess Leia had left for an "Obi-Wan Kenobi". Luke considers "Obi-Wan" a possible relative of a man named Ben Kenobi and goes on the look for him. For now, I will end my synopsis for the fact that I just described the first half-hour of the film. I want there to be more for you. All you need to know is that Luke is taken on a journey that changes his entire life and purpose, helping him make a transfer from a teen who longs to leave the ranch he is stuck living on to a man seeking the fall of the Empire. This film isn't just a film; it is a true adventure.

When it comes to the acting in "Star Wars", I truly don't believe it could get any better whatsoever. Mark Hamill was born to play Luke, Harrison Ford dominated his role as the swift Han Solo (a bounty hunter Luke ends up traveling with), Carrie Fisher is courageously independent as Princess Leia and doesn't fall into the shadows of her co-stars, but Alec Guinness was exceptional as Ben (or Obi-Wan) Kenobi. There is something magical and hopeful about the way Alec portrays Obi-Wan in this film. Also, Anthony Daniels is perfect as C3-PO! He may have been the simple comic relief, but I promise you he was the perfect choice for this character. I truly cannot see anyone ever playing this golden-plated character, who has practically become the symbol for any outsider who may have not seen the films. Without a doubt, the acting was exceptional in all respects. I believe the trickiest had to have been David Prowse, seeing as how Lucas ended-up not using Prowse's real voice for Darth Vader. With that thought, I must say that I enjoy James Earl Jones' voice much more for the character.

Anyways, moving along! The writing of each character was phenomenal. I feel that the banter was so well-done that it brings these characters to life even more, seeing the situations each of them are in within the duration of the film. "Star Wars" was also plotted very well, with all events and scenes not feeling out of place once.

The special effects, I must say, are top-notch, even if they have aged a bit in 2013 viewer's eyes. At some points, the effects look fantastic, while other scenes look like a "Star Wars" fan film from YouTube. That's common with classic cinema, so I don't mind it. I sincerely believe that people aren't the only ones to age.

This "Star Wars" film is definitely not my favorite, but it runs right behind "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", on my list. Overall, it is still very enjoyable with set designs that look like legitimate places amongst the galaxy. The detailing of the sets in this film are just shockingly realistic.

"Star Wars" deserves the eight stars that I have rated it. I like it, hold it as a memory in my heart, but find it to be an action-fantasy film, for the most part. It is brilliant, it is intelligent, and it is worth a try. I highly recommend the film.

May the force be with you all! God bless, and Merry Christmas!