IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 7 of 148: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Author: Mattias from Sweden
29 July 1998

The definitive sci-fi movie. Totally reshaped the genre where the movies are appropriately regarded as 'before Star Wars' or 'after Star Wars'. Best in the original trilogy. The 1997 special edition did not add much content, only effects wizardry.

The original version was brilliant...

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
31 March 2003

I was actually born about a year after this film first premiered, but being a member of a family that was the first on the block to get such things as the VCR and the proper Hi-Fi system allowed me to catch this film in a number of different formats in the years ranging from 1982 to 1997. I think it is safe to say that without this film, I would have had no idea how truly evil a thing Pan And Scan is, or why multi-channel audio is such a damned important thing to have in the home theatre environment.

Of course, I also knew that the film wasn't perfect. I could see a number of small problems where Lucas' budget just didn't quite go far enough, or where there just wasn't enough time to accomplish what was wanted. So when the announcement was made that in 1997, each film would be presented with improved special effects and footage that could not be integrated in the original cut for reasons of budget or practicality, I was excited.

For the most part, I was overjoyed to see the new footage or effects. Mos Eisley now looks like a real city or port of commerce, without the viewer's sense of disbelief at the seemingly deserted streets needing to be suspended. The flight of the X-Wings towards the Death Star in its original form was very good, a marvel of its time, but when George finally got to show it the way he wanted to, it was almost the equivalent of watching the helicopters of Apocalypse Now decimating the village to the tune of Ride Of The Valkyries. The wonderfully composed tracking shots especially made the battle look almost as if it really happened and Lucas was just there to take pictures. And Jabba? Well, he doesn't look all that real, granted, but it was just nice to have that one piece of footage in order to make the appearance of Boba Fett in Episode V and the entire prologue of Episode VI make a bit more sense, especially to dullards.

Unfortunately, there are a number of times when Lucas just goes too far in his quest to improve his work. Sometimes you can only do so much to anything before it starts to look overdone. Of course, I am talking about the scene between Han and Greedo in the cantina. In the original version, we are led to believe Han is a scoundrel who only cares about himself, giving us one of the best character arcs in the whole trilogy. It is also a great tribute to Sergio Leone, a nice reference to when Tuco shoots a potential assassin from his bathtub and tells the corpse "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!". Modifying this scene so it looks like Greedo shot first is an insult on a few levels. It insults Greedo as a character, making him look like one of the most incompetent bounty hunters in the galaxy. It insults the audience, who even at the age of six should no that you'd have to be blind, drunk, brain-damaged, or all three, to miss from that distance. Lastly, it insults the character of Han Solo by destroying a vital piece of said character arc. Watching Han go from scum to a leader of men, a space-age version of King Aragorn even, was one of the best things about the original Star Wars trilogy.

The story itself is the stuff of classics in that it shows the most unlikely of heroes doing things that everyone else claims to be impossible. What Lucas got right in terms of pacing and plot here is exactly where he went wrong in the prequels, in that he makes the jump from location to location seem important to the plot and totally natural, rather than forced and choppy. The story and sense of adventure makes one forget that there are really only three major locations other than the inside of a space ship.

Overall, the original Star Wars rates an eight out of ten. If Lucas had applied some common sense in conjunction with his rampant desire for revisionism, I would give it a ten, but as one critic who is famous for his negativity once said about Episode II, when was the last time anyone told George Lucas no? Still, this is a classic that should be shown to future generations as an example of how an imagination and enough literacy to realise it will open doors for you when nothing else will.

A long time ago in a childhood not too far away...

Author: Spikeopath from United Kingdom
29 March 2009

Princess Leia is captured and held hostage by the Imperial Army as it seeks to rule the Galactic Empire. An old Jedi Knight by the name of Ben "Obi-Wan" Kenobi may just be her's, and the rebels only hope. Teaming up with farm boy Luke Skywalker, scoundrel Captain Han Solo, and a couple of quirky droids, Kenobi sets off on a mission that could well shape the destiny of the Galaxy, and all who dwell within it.

Back in 1977 I was but a wee 11 year old boy, weened on films from all genres by my movie loving parents, I had no idea that Star Wars was to have the same impact on me as Jaws had two summers previously, where yet again I found myself queueing around the block for two whole hours to see a film in a one screen theatre. My love of cinema firmly cemented, Star Wars was the start of a love affair that lasts to this very day.

As the years have rolled by and my love of cinema has taken on more in-depth and serious tones, I have come to realise that Star Wars proves to be a far from flawless picture. Certainly its detractors do point to some frayed acting and call the plot structure a jazzed up good versus evil axis, while the charge of George Lucas referencing many prior pictures most assuredly stands, but really do those things matter? No they do not, because Star Wars opened up a new world of cinema, something of a portal to youngsters such as I, it got people talking and debating about the merits of model work in films (which is of an extraordinary high standard here), it nudged film makers to explore being bigger and bolder in their approach, and crucially, above all else, it got film goers hungry again, a hankering for more please if you may. Now it has to be said that all that followed 20th Century Fox's historic blockbuster didn't run with the baton, in fact most pale into comparison on impact value, but for better or worse (depending on the discerning viewers peccadilloes), Star Wars stands as a bastion of adventure laden entertainment.

It is by definition one of the most successful films in history, George Lucas perhaps didn't know it at the time, but in what was to become an almost operatic anthology, he didn't just make a movie, he created a whole new world seeping with style and rich texture. Almost as amazing as the success of the series, is how it has become part of modern day pop culture, anything from religion to everyday speak has at some time or another referenced Lucas' baby. Ultimately, though, it's one single thing that made (and still does make) Star Wars so great, it's that it has the ability to lift the audience into a rousing united feel good cheer; and that is something that few films can ever lay claim too. In 1977 it was an awe inspiring event to watch in the theatre, now here in my middle age it's an event that is like hugging a dear old friend, a friend that I know will never ever let me down no matter how many times I turn to it. 10/10

The first movie of the great old trilogy

Author: Lady Targaryen from Brazil
1 February 2006

''Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope'' is the first movie from the old trilogy. I will always prefer the old Star Wars' trilogy than the modern one, and watching again this movie makes me feel very good! It is a period of civil war,since an evil Empire controlled by Darth Vader and the Emperor has the control of all the galaxies. Rebel bases finally had their first victory against the horrible Galactic Empire, and princess Leia, who is part of the Rebel Alliance is made a prisoner by Darth Vader, since she refuses to say where are the plans of the lethal weapon called 'Death Star'', who were stolen by the rebel spies. The Death Star is a big space station,capable of destroying an entire planet if it's owner desires. Darth Vader also wants to know where is the secret base of the Rebels to destroy it.

Since Princess Leia is a clever girl, she placed the plans of the Death Star in R2-D2, and send him to a special mission with C3PO in Tattoine, where he needs to finds where Obi Wan Kenobi is.

R2 and C3PO arrives in Tattoine with success, but after a time they are kidnapped by the Sand People, who wants to sell them; for their luck, their buyer is Luke Skywalker and his uncle Owen. At the same time that Lukes discovers that R2 needs to show the message for Obi wan, Vader's army went to Tattoinee to find R2 to recover their stolen plans. R2 goes after Obi Wan, and C3PO and Luke go after him. After being attacked by the Sand People and saved by Obi Wan, Luke tells him about the message in C3PO. All this time, Obi wan was hidden in Tattoine as a hermit with the name of 'Ben Kenobi'. Obi Wan then tells Luke many things about his past as a Jedi, and the fact that he was a friend of Luke's dad, Anakin. He also gives Luke a light saber that once belonged to Anakin. The Lars knows about the truth behind Luke's past, that's why specially uncle Owen never let him leave Tattoine.

Worried that the Imperial troops are searching for R2 and C3PO, Luke runs in his home's direction, but he discovers too late that his uncle and aunt were killed by then. Sad and without any attachments in Tattoine, Luke decides to go with Obi Wan to Alderaan to help Leia.

They two meet Chewbacca and Han Solo, who can take then to Alderaan. Once the money payments is sealed, they enter in the ''Millenniun Falcon'',Han's ship ,and they go to Alderaan's direction. The problem is: Alderaan is not there anymore. The ''Death Star'' destroyed Leia's native planet,since she refused to say where the rebel base stays.

Once Luke,Han and Obi Wan comes to save Leia and they succeed in their mission,they know will have other problem: destroy the Death Star.

Ps: I think that Obi Wan's death is too weak!

Ps2: How does Luke understand what R2 says to him?

Classic bit of fun sci-fi – a space western!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 June 2002

The Republic has fallen and the Empire rules the galaxy as a dictatorship, seeking to destroy dissenting voices. The Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, is fully on line and capable of destroying whole systems. The Jedi have been destroyed, save a few living in hiding, unable to compete with the force of the Empire. However Princess Leia has the plans showing a weakness within the Death Star. Before she is captured by Darth Vader she gives them to droids C3PO and R2D2 and they escape. When they land on a nearby planet they find Luke Skywalker and set out to find the owner of the droids Obi Wan Kenobi, or Old Ben Kenobi. Obi Wan begins to train Luke in the way of the force as they try to get the information to the Rebellion before the Death Star can be used at full power.

It's not a brilliant piece of filmmaking – lets be honest, Lucas isn't the Shakespeare of our generation. However what it is, is a good story of good v's evil, a western of goodies v baddies set in space. The story is simple but contains clear characters. The thing that sets it apart is the fun – the sense of wonder for kids but also the enjoyment it brings to adult. The story is good for a sci-fi with a lot of history and back-story clearly set out up front. The action scenes are mostly great – not dry effects but with a real sense of action and excitement too.

This may be the 4th part but it's also our first chapter, it is light and enjoyable but hints that this is only part of an ongoing battle. The way it relates to kids and adults is obvious as it broke records and everyone of a certain age knows about Star Wars! The effects still look good today – in many ways the model work looks better than all digital effects simply because they are `real' and don't just exist within a computer. Sound effects, comedy, music – it's all pitch perfect and sets up the rest of the series really well.

Hamil is ok as Skywalker (`Blonde hair, blue eyes' – Chasing Amy!). He is suitable for a kids film and he does well with his role. However like part 1 has Anakin at his least interesting, part 4 has Luke yet to develop into darker areas. Ford is perfect as Han Solo – he adds character and flair to some dry performances. Alec Guinness adds maturity to the whole film and is so good is Obi Wan that even Ewan McGregor just does an impression rather than recreate the role. Darth Vader is just the right side of silly camp villain, Jones' voice is a perfect fit and he has real menace and power. Bits players such as Chewie, C3PO, R2D2 etc all add comedy in spades.

Overall this film is even better now that we know how it all fits together in Star Wars `history'. But even without all the hype this is a really fun sci-fi that is enjoyable, simple and really good fun to watch if you're in the mood. Having a deeper perspective on it just makes it all the better.

The ultimate space adventure!

Author: Stefan Ellison from Canada
5 July 2007

I don't think there's any denying that Star Wars changed cinema history and deservedly so. At the time of its release, science-fiction was considered a dead genre with the only major films from Hollywood's recent cannon being the work from Stanley Kubrick and cheesy, yet still fun flicks like Logan's Run. Yet, no other futuristic movie wowed more than George Lucas's space opera. From that infamous opening scroll, featuring that amazing heart-pumping score, to the end credits, people were gripped and hoping their heroes that had grown to know those two previous hours could come out alive. While, George Lucas did give his Jedi knights more adventures, I don't think any of those sequels and certainly not the prequels have managed to come close to the original Star Wars that practically defined the baby boom generation. Watching the film again recently, I am still impressed by the awesome power of the movie and the fact that even after thirty years after its release, it gets me more excited than the latest Hollywood blockbuster. Sorry, Michael Bay, but you're no George Lucas, that's for certain.

After two droids crash-land on the desert planet of Tatooine, they are immediately captured and sold to a young farm boy called Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), who desperately wants to leave the rock he lives on with his aunt and uncle. While fixing one of the droids, he finds a message from Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher), requesting the help of Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guiness). Luke finds Kenobi, a hermit living in the mountains, who tells Luke of his family history. His father was a Jedi knight, killed by the evil Darth Vader and now Kenobi decides it is time to teach him the way of the Force. After Luke finds his family's home destroyed by stormtroopers looking for the two droids, they decide to find their way to another planet. They enlist the help of space pirate Han Solo (Harrison Ford), who decides to give them a lift. On the way, they find the Death Star, a giant space station run by Darth Vader, with the ability to destroy any planet of the solar system. Now, they must enter the Death Star, find and rescue the Princess and destroy the station before it produces anymore harm.

George Lucas has been criticised for his so-called lack of direction and screen writing abilities, but I don't think most people can deny that Star Wars packs a mean punch in terms of solid entertainment. While Star Wars is playing, all eyes are on the screen savouring every delicious moment, whether it be a fantastic lightsaber duel or a quiet scene between Luke and Obi-Wan. The visual effects (including those in the special editions) are seriously some of the best in motion picture history as they manage to make the viewer believe they're in space, surrounded by various creatures and flying ships. Lucas has gotten a lot of negative criticism for the fact that he believes that the updated version of Star Wars is the ultimate way to see the film, but I don't mind. The special effects are better and they certainly do add to the experience. Greedo shooting first? It's such a quick, minor scene that goes by at such a fast rate, that I don't really mind. I understand where the die-hard fans are coming from, but for the casual viewer, it's practically nothing. Adding to the impressive technical delight of Star Wars as well is John Williams's magnificent score, the best in any Hollywood film. I seriously don't think the film would be as highly regarded as it is, if it wasn't for the fantastic music. I seriously would probably enjoy the film even less without it.

Yet, I think the lasting appeal of Star Wars has to be the characters. Every child growing up wants to be like Luke Skywalker, the young Jedi who just wants to save the universe from possible destruction. Meanwhile, the older folks in the audience have the wise Obi-Wan Kenobi to relate and as Yoda shows in the other five films, that old age does not remove one of their abilities. Han Solo represents the coolness of Star Wars and Harrison Ford plays him with enough spunk and gusto to warrant what might be a minor character as a personal favourite of mine. And then, there's Darth Vader, the most famous character and the most chilling villain of the 20th century. James Earl Jones will always be connected with with this constantly breathing menace with a past of many hidden secrets. Even the stormtroopers tremble in his wake, for fear that he will force-choke them to death. With thrilling action, impressive visuals, lovable and both frightening characters and a world full of fascination and adventure, it's hard to go wrong with Star Wars, the epic journey of our hearts and inner wants.

The GREATEST summer blockbuster of all time...

Author: TheTenTwentyOne from United States
4 July 2015

While Jaws may have started the summer blockbuster, Star Wars perfected it. Out of all the movies I've seen, this movie has the BEST cast in a movie. Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, Han Solo, RD-D2, C-3PO, and Darth Vadar are memorable and portrayed perfectly. They are characters who we care for and want to be with. The story is just as good as it's cast. It's well-paced and contains no dull moment. There was never a scene where I felt was unnecessary. We start off the story with Luke and stick with him the whole way through. We watch him change from a farm boy to a hero. The ONLY bad thing I can say about this movie is the Special Edition. I know you heard this a million times, but the changes in the special edition, INSULT the movie. They are REALLY out of place and bother the heck out of me. Other than that, this is a flawless movie.

Cinema Classic

Author: owenmul from United Kingdom
27 March 2015

Star Wars is simply a fantastic film, on every level this film is amazing.

Each of the characters in this film are so well developed and so interesting that you just cannot wait for the next scene with them in it, the interactions between the characters us at times tense and at times downright hilarious, leaving no room for boring or lacking dialogue. The particular stand outs in this respect I feel are: Han Solo, the wise cracking bounty hunter with a tendency for arrogance that makes every scene as entertaining as possible. Secondly there is Darth Vader, who is the optometry of cool, scathing evil who poses as the ultimate villain.

Surprising to me, the cinematography and special effects have held up all this time. Although there are some minor issues, one particularly notable one is during the scene where Luke is training with the training droid aboard the Millennium Falcon there are a few frame skips where Luke extends and contracts his lightsaber. Other than this though, the cinematography and special effects are amazing to have held up, particularly the shots of the Empire's space fleet moving through space which are absolutely stunning.

One of the things that absolutely makes this film for me is the magnificent score, composed by John Williams. This score, while being one of the most iconic scores of all time, manages to make every single scene, fitting the mood of the scene perfectly.

The story as well is fantastic, there is never a dull moment; every second of it an absolute thrill ride. Whether its the attack on the Death Star or the Cantina of Mos Eisley the story takes you through the twists and turns of this classic space opera.

If I could recommend one sci-fi adventure film to someone, it would be this, it's an absolute must see.

More Reviews at: http://12yearsacinephile.tumblr.com/

grandiose.

Author: witster18 from United States
23 February 2015

One of my co-workers, who's about my same age(40ish), was talking about an argument he was having with his 17yr-old son. The argument was whether or not the new "Marvel" films were bigger and better, and whether or not the whole "buzz' around them was bigger and better than the original Star Wars trilogy.

I don't think the younger generation will ever fully understand the scale of the first trilogy. They MAY get a better understanding after JJ Abrams returns the trilogy to it's awesome roots.

The first Star Wars film, known simply as Star Wars, was a land- breaking milestone of film-making, with a story, characters, and effects(not all effects are cgi people) that melded together into the greatest interplanetary adventure of all-time(at least until the sequel came out).

Today's generation can pick between Spiderman, Ironman, Captain America, and the Guardians of the Galaxy to find the film that they love the most, but when I was a kid there was one film, or should I say one trilogy, that stood far, FAR above the rest.

The number one argument that is made today by the younger generation is that the effects are outdated etc, but it was in fact Lucas' commitment(at least early on) to use models and make-up to create a world like no other. SOmething that CGI just can't capture. When I saw Guardians in the theater I thought it was amazing, but later I saw it on the 4K 60" TV, and like many flicks, it kinda accentuated the small flaws of the cgi and the set-pieces, whereas I watch Star Wars and it actually shows how amazing the film was in that aspect.

CGI isn't necessarily an improvement. It's films like Star Wars and Blade Runner, whose "Gritty" qualities actually add realism to an unreal world. The only problems I have with the first three Star Wars films are the "digitally enhanced versions" that Lucas added later. That's why I eagerly await the original untouched films' release on Blue-Ray.

Scores usually drop a bit over time, and as it stands now, the weakest of the original trilogy is scored 8.4(Return of the Jedi), and that is higher than Avengers, Guardians, Cap 2, and Ironman, and FOR GOOD REASON.

And the original Star Wars is a superior film in every way as well. No Hokey opening like "Avengers", no lack of storyline like Guardians, no under-menacing not required to act Villain like Cap 2, and while I can't nitpick anything about Ironman, overall it just doesn't stand- up against Star Wars, it's a beatdown.

Simply put, it's EVERYTHING about it that makes it better. The acting, the story, the character development, the scale of the production, the start, the finish, the middle and every minute in- between.

Part of the problem here is that the added material in the re- released versions really detracts from the original films flow. The stupid dancing crap in Jedi, the Walking Jabba in Star Wars, etc... it did nothing but hurt the original films. The only added footage that didn't detract from the original films was some of the added bells and whistles to "Cloud City" in Empire, and Biggs early appearance in empire, which was wasn't an 'enhancement', it was cut-footage from the original tapes, other than that, the added stuff only hurt the overall quality of the original films. He basically added stuff that was the kind of stuff that ruined the second trilogy, so the original untouched films are still the real gem here. And that's not what these kids are watching either, because the untouched versions are HARD TO FIND!DOn't even exist on DVD or blu-ray. One of the times I'm glad I still have my VHS. Uh-Oh, Gotta-go, Re-tro:)

And WHile I love the new marvel films, they don't have what Star Wars and it's two sequels(i'm a purist) have.. that tangible something you CAN put your finger on - because it's REAL.. they built those ships, they designed and made those costumes and set-pieces. That kind of attention to detail, and scale just isn't in the Marvel films. Sure, it's cool to see Hulk crumbling down a building, but this galaxy really doesn't "SEEM" so far away in Star Wars. It has that 'realistic' edge to it. It's the reason that you couldn't make a legit remake of Ben- Hur, Ten Commandments, or other older "epic" films... it would literally cost Billions.

Even some of my favorite Sci-Fi's of all-time like Blade Runner and 2001, while milestone's in their own right(especially visually), just do not have the sheer entertainment value that Star Wars has.

Star Wars and Empire are 2 of the 42 out of the 3400 films that I have ranked 10/10, and they are two of the most deserving, if not THE most deserving.

The beginning of a new era!

Author: raphaklopper from Aveiro, Portugal
22 September 2013

Before the genius George Lucas was about to go help Spielberg make the majestic " Raiders", he decided to do something, something that many were surprised when it was announced and didn't take a lot of faith on, which after his release was an absolute success both at the box office and critical, and today the masterpiece of Lucas is a classic that will live forever in the history of cinema!

"Star Wars" (not Star Wars IV A New Hope, please), begins with the yellow title suddenly appearing on the screen with an amazing soundtrack from the master John Williams giving us a resume of the history we are about to watch. It all starts with a small spaceship full of rebel soldiers start being invaded by imperial troops led by the sinister and cruel lord Darth Vader (David Prowse). Suddenly the film transports us directly to another side of the galaxy where we have the story of the young Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), a simple machine repairman teenager who lives with his uncles. A day after his uncle buy two servant robots, R2 - D2 (Kenny Baker) and C-3PO (Anthony Daniels), which inadvertently bring Luke the chance to realize his dreams of becoming a rebel and fight against the tyrant of the empire, a mission that will take him to the ends of the galaxy and will bring new friends but at the same time extreme dangers.

From the beginning, "Star Wars" revolutionized cinema forever, especially the genre of sci - fi that at the time was just "Star Trek" with great success. Lucas of course certain elements form "Trek", since the crew of a spaceship with name style and friendship among the crew, but everything else was a tremendous attack of originality. Unlike "Star Trek" Lucas took the story and the great adventure with a lighter and fantasy tone, not childish but humorous, fun and even a certain religious point when the Jedi Obi - Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) appears in Luke's life with secrets of him and Luke's father past.

And just like "Star Trek", Lucas gave his masterpiece unforgettable characters, of course: Luke, R2, C-3PO, Obi-Wan. But also the unforgettable Han Solo (Harrison Ford), the bounty hunter from space who ALWAYS shoots first and asks questions later, giving the film a great humorous touch and a lot of fun (never one character caused such influences as Han Solo did), and even Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) no royal woman before her in a film had never taken up arms showing she knew very well how to take care of herself. Not only the good guys who stand out perfectly in the story, but also the great and unforgettable antagonist ever put to film, Darth Vader, no villain was so cruel and yet so adored by fans.

Characters and stories fitting perfectly, but the adventure to be full completed it needed the huge Galactic scenario, which is not lacking in this film. I think Lucas should have thanked Kubrick about "2001" because if it were not for this film, visual effects would never be the same. And thanks to that Lucas gave the film with beautiful scenery and a vast galaxies and an unforgettable and thrilling final battle.

The classic that redefined cinema forever with a story well-crafted and told, full of suspense, humor and adventure thanks to its unforgettable characters and stunning visual effects , the legendary George Lucas gave the world a film with tremendous quality and early one of the best trilogies ever made.