IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 133: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Nothing short of a classic

Author: genstarzz from United States
15 October 2013

This film is a milestone in cinema. It changed the way movies were made with its ground breaking special effects. It launched the Star Wars saga, one of the most successful film franchises of all time. Along with Jaws, it essentially created the blockbuster genre, and on top of all that, many aspects of this film are now a cultural icons (The John Williams theme, The Millennium Falcon, The Death Star, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Lightsabers, C-3PO and R2D2 and so much more!)

However, even if you took away this film's impact on both Cinema and the world, you would still have a very enjoyable thrill ride in the science fiction/fantasy genre! A lot of elements of Star Wars are a bit cliché: The orphan protagonist who goes from average Joe to hero, the wise mentor, the non violent duo put in for comic relief, the anti hero, the dark threatening villain and the princess. However, what makes Star Wars so great is how likable it makes it's heroes, how intimidating it makes it's antagonists and the unique spin Star Wars puts on these otherwise cliché factors.

Enter Luke Skywalker! He's a little whiny at first, but you can't help but get behind him. Mark Hamill's performance definitely helps, but it's also the character's sheer compassion and determination to become a part of something bigger that makes him so relatable. You can't help but sympathize with him as his Uncle Owen holds him back from leaving the farm. Luke also has a firm belief in the force and places a lot of faith in it.

Complementing Luke's character is that of Han Solo. Han has far less compassion, and refuses to put any faith in the force. He is certainly more a bad ass in traditional sense and is on the other end of the "hero" spectrum. This is great because it gives the audience options on who they'd like to get behind. If Luke is too much a boy scout, you still have Han to get behind. If Han is too pig headed and selfish, then you have Luke to get behind! Not to mention, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford have great on screen chemistry.

Darth Vader is done so well as antagonist that he's arguably the most iconic villain of all time, perhaps tied with the Joker. Everything from the unique mask he wears to the size and stature of David Prowse (the actor inside the suit)accompanied by the voice of James Earl Jones gives Darth Vader a highly intimidating presence. However, what makes him interesting and gives him more depth is that he was once good, but was seduced by the dark side of the force and is now evil. He was a victim of his temptations.

Alec Guinness is a brilliant actor and makes Obi-wan Kenobi very likable as well very well spoken and wise. It's very easy to see him as a wise Jedi Master. Princess Leia is a damsel in distress, but she's also tougher than the average one and isn't afraid to take charge.

Aside from the great characters, Star Wars just introduces a very distinct and unique universe. There are so many great vehicle and character designs that are imaginative, interesting and original. All of these things keep Star Wars from being anything from generic. Then there's the pacing of the film. The film starts off with a great attention grabbing introduction, then the film starts to slow down a bit for exposition, but then the film becomes a roller coaster ride throughout the entire second half! The action is very thrilling and leaves a big impression.

Overall, Star Wars still holds up today as a great film. It hasn't aged a bit; non of it's special effects look dated or silly, the characters are still very likable and soundtrack is just epic. Star Wars, in my opinion is the definition of a timeless film. It is now 36 years old and is still better than the vast majority of blockbuster films that have been released within the last year, if not all of them! Star Wars lives up to it's name of simply being a great film.

After three decades, it still makes me amazed

Author: Evan Dewangga from Semarang, Indonesia
10 October 2013

I don't remember well what is the plot of the movie since my first and latest watch of the movie was a half year ago. But, I do remember my admiration when I watch this movie. You know, I watched it when the year is 2013, and the movie's released date is 1977. During those three decades the movie's visual effects change dramatically. Yet, "Stars Wars" is different. With all of the editor skill and their work hard, even in 1977 they can make film that has amazing visual effect as good as early twenty-first-century-movies. Of course, in my opinion, it is like "The Lord of The Rings Trilogy" of the twentieth century.

And about the war scene, what a splendid war. I remember well, that I feel really enjoy watching the war scene. It is awesomely unique war. Yes, I look some funny effect because I usually watched nowadays movie. But, once again, for 1977 movie, it is beyond imagination.

Almost perfect movie, great and unbelievable in its era.

Not just a great movie. It's important

Author: SnoopyStyle
29 September 2013

This story happened 'A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away'. The galaxy is under dictatorship. Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) is part of the rebellion but is capture by the evil Darth Vader. Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) the young hero, Han Solo (Harrison Ford) the brigand, and the wise master Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi (Alec Guinness) must together rescue the princess.

The characters are icons pulled from classic storytelling. George Lucas was able to assemble such iconic characters into a well told story. Rarely is a movie change the nature of movie-making, and even the wider culture. This may be one of the most important movie of all times.

Luke Skywalker joins the Force to fight against Darth Vader and the evil empire in order to bring peace in the universe.

Author: alex milonas from Greece
29 September 2013

Luke Skywalker is raised by his uncle in planet Totooine. One day, he buys two droids, R2 and C-3PO, to serve him. Accidentally, while cleaning R2, he discovers a message coming from princess Leia which has to be deleverd to an ex- Jedi, Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. When Luke finds him and tells him about the message, Obi Wan suggests him to become a Jedi knight. Luke accepts and these two together meet a pilot called Han Solo who is paid so as to fly them to the Death Star where princess Leia is kept prisoner by Darth Vader and the evil empire. After they rescue her, Luke , Han Solo and princess Leia travel to meet Rebel Alliance, princess Leia's team, and hand them the plans which will help them destroy the Death Star. Luke together with Rebel Alliance destroy it and escape. The "Empire strikes back" and "Return of the Jedi" come next and the epic tales continue. Τhe fantasy galaxy George Lucas invented, along with the different languages and technological creations (light saber, droids) are far beyond our imagination, but if all these existed, we would definitely die to pay a visit.

Star Wars film review final draft 2.docx

Author: brockhunt34 from United States
27 September 2013

Brock Hunt Mr.Hicks ENG 101-008 September 20, 2013

A Space Opera

Star Wars is a movie which focuses on a rebel alliance that fights against an oppressive regime set in a fictionalized universe a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. We're introduced to the main characters Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Darth Vader (David Prowse) for the first time. Luke is a farm boy who doesn't have a clue of what is about to happen. Darth Vader is an evil dark lord of the Sith who is trained in the dark side of the force and wants to defeat the rebel alliance. After Luke's family is murdered by the empire, he trains to be a Jedi by Obi-Wan Kenobi to defeat the evil Galactic Empire.

George Lucas made Star Wars: A New Hope in 1976 and was released in the summer of 1977. He made episode four first because the story didn't require any high dollar special effects and wasn't sure how the movie would be accepted. When the movie opened, it received great reviews and audiences were amazed at the special effects. He would go on to direct the following sequels Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Little do people know that George Lucas had the stories and screenplays of episodes one, two, and three already done before episode four was ever released. He did this because at the time technology didn't exist to produce the first three films with the fight sequences and settings that were in the first three films.

I personally love the Star Wars films because of my personal connection with them. My grandmother introduced me to the Star Wars franchise as a child. On Saturday nights I would stay with my grandmother and she would play the movies on VHS. I never get tired of watching the films. Because every time I do, it takes me back in time when she was alive. Star Wars also opened up my interest in Sci-Fi movies. Some can say I'm a nerd but most don't know my extensive knowledge of the Star Wars franchise.

Really One Heck of a Movie from Lucas!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
21 April 2013

George Lucas probably did not know at the time he was creating one of the biggest hits not just only of his career but also of all time! As there were rarely movies from space it seemed at the time.

Mark Hamil as the main protagonist Luke Skywalker who went from being a simple farm boy to being a grown up man and really stronger and tougher but had a sense of morals and values as he was the most developed character of all the main characters.

Carrie Fisher as the feisty yet pretty and tough action gal Princess Leia. As she really should had moved on and had the acting chops but people will forever remember her as Princess Leia no matter what.

Harrison Ford as the tough, dashing, a bit of a jerk but with a heart of gold space pirate, Han Solo. Who really began to mellow out and proved to his friends that he was not such a macho jerk and really had a heart of gold.

Darth Vader who only had twelve minutes of screen time in the first movie. Really began to also develop. As he knew he had good inside of him but was afraid to show it.

And of course scene stealers like C3P0 and R2-D2. As R2D2 is funny even though we can't hear a word he is saying but only C3PO is the only one that can as C3P0 is the perfect sidekick and straight man for scene stealing R2.

The movie had wit, charm, personality, and special effects! Wished that both Hamil and Fisher would had gone on further in their careers like Ford did!

One of the greatest films of all time that changed the world!

Author: illbebackreviews from Australia
3 April 2013

'Star Wars' is a movie that every kid on Earth has seen and has been reviewed and praised over and over again. But, me, just an average movie goer, reviewing such a classic, cannot hurt, so why shouldn't I review it?

I am pretty certain that everyone who watches movies knows the plot to 'Star Wars' but for anyone who doesn't, Luke Skywalker is taught basics about the force, a mysterious and overwhelming power that controls and binds the galaxy, by Jedi master Ben Kenobi. Along with a crew and a ship, they must go to Alderaan and deliver droids who hold the key to the Empire's brand new battle station, the Death Star, so that the droids can be intercepted, weaknesses of the Death Star can be found and it can then be destroyed.

So much works in this film, most notably the characters and the setting. Every single character in this movie is so iconic that they are discussed even in households. They are not just famous but are so amazingly written and put to screen. If directed horribly, everything with Chewie and R2-D2 would come off horribly, as they never speak a word in English but speak in their own language, to the point where subtitles aren't even used. This further adds mystery towards the film which I just love

The direction in this film is purely amazing and is some of the greatest in cinema history. A pity Lucas fell much like Anakin Skywalker did. The pacing is mostly great but after a few re-watches, 'Star Wars' at times feels rather slow compared to its legendary sequel. It isn't anything like downright boring but some scenes are oddly paced. One instance is when C-3PO and R2-D2 get on a escape pod and land on Tatooine. From there on, a good ten minutes of clear slow pacing is evident: not much indeed happens and happens rather oddly but as soon as Luke gets these robots, the things start changing. There are a few instances later on in the movie that are oddly paced but aren't as strange as the start of Tatooine.

One of the greatest things in these original films is how amazing everything looks. The effects, since all being practical, due to the fact that simply 1977 didn't hold CGI, look amazing and realistic and we feel like we are part of this "galaxy far, far away" and not in a CGI world much like the prequel trilogy.

The musical score by John Williams is perhaps the greatest to ever grace cinema. Yes, there are a few better soundtracks, to me, most notably Empire Strikes Back and any other score by John Williams along with films like the Lord of the Rings, but the music in this original film, even without the iconic Imperial March, is still fantastic. The cinematography looks superb in these movies and the action scenes are very well filmed and so easy and entertaining to follow, each containing the right amount of suspense. A later, older and weaker Lucas would fall and add CGI enemies all over the screen to the point where your mind cannot cope with what you are being shown- and not in a good way. However, in this film, the action sequences are 1 v 3 type fights to the point where everything is easily controllable and readable to us. The space battles are superb and thoroughly entertaining and the assault on the Death Star that ends this movie is downright amazing! Such perfection in film making

The acting in this movie is great and I myself clearly find it an invalid argument when one would say the acting, in even the original trilogy, isn't that great. Yes, there are a few moments where they get tired but the acting is very strong. The scene stealer being Harrison Ford as Han Solo. Each member of the cast, including legendary actors at the time, like Sir Peter Cushing as Grand Moff Tarkin gives such a chilling performance as the head of the Empire the one "who holds Vader's leash"

'Star Wars' is without a doubt a timeless classic that every human needs to see whether they have a love for movies or not. A movie that is close to perfection is only let down a little by the fact that the pacing at times is rather slow, despite the content being presented is interesting. 'Star Wars' is a definite masterpiece and one of the most revolutionary films of all time that changed action movies forever.

The.....greatest.....film...ever....made.....PERIOD!!!

Author: ryanrwessel from United States
16 March 2013

Oh........my god........I saw this film when I was four years old on VHS. AND I INSTANTLY FELL IN LOVE WITH STAR WARS!!! Through my elementary years I was OBSESSED WITH STAR WARS!!! Don't get me wrong, I still love it to this day, I'm just not as obsessed. I mean........COME ON!!!! YOU CAN'T ARGUE!!! THIS IS THE GREATEST FILM EVER MADE!!! Okay, okay, so I guess you can argue, (The Wizard Of Oz, Citzen Kane, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, The Godfather, ETC.) But......you CAN T argue that IT IS the most ICONIC film ever made. Seriously, when someone says "Star Wars"......we've all seen it. I don't know a single human being that HASN'T seen Star Wars, OR AT THE VERY LEAST DOESN'T KNOW THE PLOT!!!

1. The score is ICONIC (Won Oscar for Best Original Score)

2. The characters are ICONIC (Darth Vader, Yoda, Luke Skywalker, Han Solo,Princess Leia, Ben Kenobi, C-3PO & R2-D2, Chewbacca, The Emperor, Boba Fett, Grand Moff Tarkin (Peter Cushing). MY GOD THE LIST GOES ON!!

3. SO MANY QUOTABLE LINES!!! (May the force be with you, Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, You're my only hope, When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master, Only a master of EVIL Darth!, Use the force Luke! This is a weapon of a Jedi Knight, not as clumsy or random as a blaster. You don't need to see his identification, MOVE ALONG! Aren't you little too short for a stormtrooper? You don't know the power of the dark side! Luke, I am your father, Yes....good, GOOD!!! Use your aggressive nature BOY!!! IT'S A TRAP!!! And of course, Han Solo's famous "YAHHHOOOO!!!"

4. Ever single scenery is ICONIC (Luke looking at the two suns on Tatooine, The Cantina, Tatooine, The Mellennium Falcon, Star Destroyers, THE DEATH STAR!!! And of course, the opening scene with the Star Destroyer over the planet Tatooine

5. The effects (at the time)WERE GROUND BREAKING!!!!!!!!!

6. At it's time IT WAS THE HIGHEST GROSSING FILM EVER MADE, in fact, if you adjust it to inflation, it's probably the 3rd or 4th highest grossing film ever made (Grossing nearly 3 BILLION dollars.)

7. THE ACTORS!!! Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones, Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, Peter Cushing, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, and Alec Guinness)

8. The fact that nearly EVERY SINGLE little detail is ICONIC just makes it number #1. This film has also won 6 academy awards (oscars) and was nominated for Best Director and Best Picture. I DON'T CARE HOW AMAZING ANNIE HALL WAS!!!! STAR WARS SHOULD HAVE WON!!!!

If you haven't Star Wars, STOP WHAT YOUR DOING, SLAP YOURSELF, AND GO WATCH IT!!! I'm telling you, it's the greatest epic sci-fi fantasy adventure EVER MADE!!!

The Best

Author: SkyGirl3 from United Kingdom
7 July 2012

The original and still the one and only!

I find it pointless to review this, because I really have never met anyone who hasn't seen it, however, bear in mind I've seen it millions of times.

I know that's not much compared to some people lol. Jus check the Internet.

It hasn't aged at all and is still so much fun. It has everything a sci-fi needs, and if you haven't seen it yet, then where in the name of all that is holy, have you been????????

The sequels The empire strikes back, and return of the jedi are almost as good. But not the phantom menace, ease stay away from that one and it's sequels, just awful awful awful.

Death to jar jar!

May the Force be with you!!

Author: Lance Walsh
31 March 2012

I've seen "Star Wars", I don't know HOW many times and I just never get sick of it. It's one of my favorites and one of the greatest movies of all time. A movie that's the perfect combination of great special effects, a great story and memorable characters. All these movies that have been trying to make another "Star Wars" over the past two decades generally overlook exactly what made this movie so great in the first place. They tend to just focus on the sets and special effects and overlook the story and characters. George Lucas took great care on all three. A classic movie that will continue to be loved decades from now. Unlike all the Hollywood, big-budget crap coming out these days, this was a low-budget film, but had more magic than all the others put together.