IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 145: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

One of the most popular films of all time, and understandably so

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
4 November 2008

I was never a "Star Wars" guy growing up. I wouldn't say that I was a "Star Trek" guy growing up either ("Doctor Who" was my sci-fi franchise of choice growing up, and still is, even though I'm not a big fan of Russell T. Davies' version of the show), but I would definitely choose my favorite episodes of the original series or "Deep Space 9", "The Wrath of Khan", and "The Undiscovered Country" over any "Star Wars" film. I've seen the original trilogy a couple of times previously, once as a kid, once in my mid-teens, and now I sit down to watch "Star Wars" again, having been inspired by catching half of "The Empire Strikes Back" on TV recently and being enthralled by it.

The first thing that struck me is how great the opening shot is, just after the scrolling text that is. The rest of the movie was pretty much how I remembered it being- a collection of great set-pieces and memorable characters, and a great mythology, but with a story which wasn't nearly as grand and great as "The Empire Strikes Back". Although a point of criticism aimed at "Star Wars" by its (relatively few) detractors is that it doesn't quite match the real feel of a 30's/40's serial, I think that it really does, and not only in the way it is shot and the transitional wipes and all that, but in the writing, the acting, and just about everything else. It has that same sense of adventure, and although this particular film is nowhere near as good as some of my favorite serials, it remains something which very accurately captures the feel of watching one of those, and its popularity (and the popularity of "Raiders of the Lost Ark") is hence quite understandable, as very few of even the big summer blockbusters have the same sensibility and sense of adventure, and well, fun.

Watching "Star Wars", in spite of it not being my favorite of the original trilogy, serves as a reminder of the talent which George Lucas had at one point. I don't think this film is as good as his previous effort, "American Graffiti", which is the greatest 'coming of age' film I've ever seen, and one of the most beautiful films ever made from a visual standpoint, but it's still got spirit and energy which his later efforts just don't. It's quite sad, really.

There's really nothing I can say that hasn't been said already (which is true, certainly of many popular films, but this is freakin' "Star Wars", so trust me, I have NOTHING to add to what has already been said). There are "Star Wars" devotees who swear it is the greatest of the trilogy and one of the best movies ever made, there are detractors who think it's cheesy nonsense, and then there are others like me who like it quite a bit, but aren't sure where all the extravagant praise comes from. "The Empire Strikes Back"... Well, that's a whole other story.

star wars fan forever

Author: valjoemv-1 from United States
26 June 2005

When Episode IV came out I was not even born. I guess I was too young to see Episodes V & VI. So my brother and grew up with it on the TV screen. When The Special Edition was getting released into theaters my brother and I were like "We HAVE to see them!" So on opening day my brother and I got in line at Tinseltown 290 in Houston to buy four tickets. Standing behind me is a Cinemark employee dressed as Darth Vader. I don't know why I laughed at that moment. We originally wanted the 10:45pm showing but it was sold out and they added an extra showing at 1am. So at 1am myself, my brother, our Dad and our aunt went to see it. The lights went out and some guy behind us yelled "Chewie!". You those familiar drums then the Fox logo. Then Lucas Film Ltd the people applauded. Then "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." There was silence for that. Then the "Star Wars" came on the screen the theater applauded loudly. It was great. My brother and I agree George Lucas is a genius. Such imagination. He deserved that AFI Life Acchievment Award this year. George Lucas joins the ranks of Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Peter Jackson among others as a great director. Way to go George!

Author: Mattias from Sweden
29 July 1998

The definitive sci-fi movie. Totally reshaped the genre where the movies are appropriately regarded as 'before Star Wars' or 'after Star Wars'. Best in the original trilogy. The 1997 special edition did not add much content, only effects wizardry.

A break from the cynical films of the 1970s

Author: calvinnme from United States
11 July 2015

The latest TCM production entitled TCM Presents A Night at the Movies: George Lucas & The World of Fantasy Cinema, was really 2/3 about Lucas's films and it seemed that 2/3 of that was about Star Wars - but that was OK because it finally drove home to me what I have suspected for years - that George Lucas did not and does not have a clue as to what made Star Wars great. He got lucky with the first one (this film) because it was a product of its time and was what people WANTED to see in 1977 - something hopeful and fun. Remember - or maybe you are too young to remember - movies in the mid 70s were extremely cynical post Watergate and post Vietnam. This one was different and even religious in an ecumenical way. Lucas got lucky with the second one because of the director and his input. To me, all the ones that came after The Empire Strikes Back were special effects filled duds. Now back to the original.

In that cynical era in which nothing was black and white and everything seemed at least gray and a little tainted came this little space western. The sound effects were hokie, the graphics were poorly rendered, and all of the creatures were real men and women in rubber suits not CGI. But that was not the point. The point was that HERE was a force of pure evil - The Empire - that everybody could be completely against. The heroes were imperfect yet you could rally around them. You have a young boy of about 19 who is treated well by his farming aunt and uncle but wants a bigger destiny, you have an old man living in the hills like a hermit that wants that young boy to join the fight against the empire, and not until The Empire touches the boy personally does he make a rather hasty decision to do so. There is a girl, a princess, who is not waiting for somebody to come rescue her and helpless. She's tough, she can handle a weapon, and she can handle the fourth in their little band, Han Solo, who sticks his neck out for nobody a la Casablanca's Rick Blaine and seems completely mercenary, yet he gets involved.

If you like science fiction and good old fashioned adventure you'll like it. If you are young and feel that your destiny is slipping through your fingers and are itching to make a difference, or if you are older and want a chance to right a wrong that you feel at least partially responsible for you'll love it. And you CAN shoot first in the face of danger, have lived a pretty self involved life, change, and become the hero. As the 1977 original trailer said "Star Wars - for the fun of it" and for the philosophy of it too.

A western disguised as a Space adventure

Author: jp-vantoer-961-547107 from Netherlands
3 June 2015

Star Wars is by far the most over-hyped movie in the world. And I love it! Sure, on occasion the dialog is a bit corny, but the villains are real villains, and men are real men. And those spaceships! Man, as a kid I wanted to live in the Millennium Falcon. So, the story. Farm boy Luke Skywalker gets pulled into an war against the empire, together with an old General, a smuggler and a Wookiee ( you've got to see it to believe it) and off course a beautiful princess. Throw in two robots for some comic relief, and you are all set for the ride of your life. The original version is the one to watch because it has none of that CGI crap. You can still find it on video if you're lucky.

Pure uncut escapism

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
25 May 2015

In all honesty, I didn't plan on watching "Star Wars" on its 38th anniversary, but a happy accident nonetheless. To see this movie is to go back to a time when the mythology was in its nascent stages, before all the merchandising and parodies (really, a testament to its cultural impact, which is immense). It's deceptively simple; all of the classical elements are here - clearly defined heroes and villains, robots, space pirates, wizards, princesses, sorcery - remixed and flung off into a faraway galaxy. It all makes for a potent brew, to say the least. And when all is said and done, the movie's real power is its ability to tap into the kid in all of us. This is just plain fun, and not even Lucas' shoddy CGI rejiggering can tarnish that.

The coolest STAR WARS ever!

Author: joshuadrake-39480 from Springfield, TN
27 April 2015

STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE is a film that I really enjoyed when I first saw it and I knew from the beginning I would love it and this was the first in a much bigger series and the fourth film in the STAR WARS franchise overall (in chronological order).

The story is amazing for a 2 hour film and the film does not feel like it's 2 hours because it goes by really quick and I really think it's just amazing and spectacular and fantastically well-made and there are reasons why it is the best movie of all time and it's the best film ever made.

THE CHARACTERS: Luke Skywalker is our main protagonist and he is played by Mark Hamill and he is really spectacular. He is my favorite character, along with Yoda, Chewbacca, Princess Leia, Han Solo, Darth Vader, C3PO and R2D2, Mace Windu, Padme, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Emperor Palpatine.

Hamill does not fail in anything and his performance was really great and just amazing. Carrie Fisher was really fantastic as Princess Leia and she is not the normal damsel-in-distress in today's movies and she was the right choice for the character. Harrison Ford is really nice as Han Solo and all three actors would later become famous for their roles in these films and they really do a very well good job.

Harrison Ford would play both Han Solo in the original STAR WARS trilogy and Indiana Jones in the INDIANA JONES franchise, which I will get to.

The next performance is the late Alec Guiness in the best role of his career as Obi-Wan Kenobi and he should have won an Oscar for his part. Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker and Peter Mayhew plays C3PO, R2-D2 and Chewbacca in this film and they do a really outstanding job.

George Lucas does a very good job creating an epic space opera series that starts off with the middle of the series and that is not possible in today's film making world, but was possible for 1977 and he does a very good job writing and directing and the screenplay he wrote is one of the best screenplays that I have ever read before in my life.

John Williams composed one of the greatest musical scores ever created for a film and his Star Wars theme song is one of my favorite musical themes ever credits.

The visual effects back then were amazing and so were the lightsaber battles and the dogfight sequences and they were really cool back in 1977 and it was really cool and just amazingly created and today, they still look amazingly well-done. I have seen the 1997 special edition of this film and I think it is really good, but I also love the theatrical version is just really cool and just fantastic.

Overall, I love STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE and the movie is getting a 10 out of 10 from me because everything is just really great and fantastic to inspire a lot of filmmakers including Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, Ridley Scott, James Cameron, John Singleton, Dean Devlin and Peter Jackson and it also inspired future filmmakers including myself.

It's a smash hit, 10/10.

1977: A galaxy much too far away

Author: Gary170459 from Derby, UK
10 November 2013

I saw this marvellously old-fashioned hokum with my girlfriend at the packed out Pics on March 25th 1978. Exhausted at all the screen wipes by the end all we were thinking of was hopefully not waiting too long in the cold for the last bus home; so much for intergalactic travel. Star Wars was a phenomena then, and still is – although I did warn a big fan I knew at the time that it wouldn't take too long for the special effects to go dog-eared with age and even recommended Kurosawa's original to him instead. However, he probably still disdainfully thinks, along with many others that movies, indeed history, began with Star Wars.

Young stereotype joins forces with a disparate group of stereotypes to save the white universe and Princess Stereotype from stereotypical space baddies in a adventurous story bordering on corny with then innovative now dated film technology. Definitely nothing wrong with any of that, just that when stripped down it's not only incredible but incredibly ordinary and merely reflects back to me some lovely sunny days from the mid '70's. Even the sinister ugly aliens had somehow listened to the cleaner music of Frank Zappa. Fancy spending trillions of trillions on an immense battleship complete with a titchy flue with a security implication. I saw Lucas's 90's cgi cartoonery revision at the Pics with my daughter, the spacecraft still wobbled and there were many white borders on display but overall his team had done a good job trying to stem the onslaughts of Time on his cash cow. Many of my favourite films are pure - and poor - old fashioned corn but no one on planet Earth thinks they're life changing works of Art in the same way as they do this monument to Luck.

The film I saw was Part I full stop; if Disney ever gets to Part XXVII what if they want to do a prequel to the prequel and more pathetic re-numbering and retrospective digital title re-jigging ensues, will Lucas let them? I've always favoured the originals of anything generally and also draw the line at altering future history.

I enjoy it immensely whenever it's on UK TV, as I can feel the persuasive Force of not having to think for a couple of hours and to simply enjoy the ride.

Nothing short of a classic

Author: genstarzz from United States
15 October 2013

This film is a milestone in cinema. It changed the way movies were made with its ground breaking special effects. It launched the Star Wars saga, one of the most successful film franchises of all time. Along with Jaws, it essentially created the blockbuster genre, and on top of all that, many aspects of this film are now a cultural icons (The John Williams theme, The Millennium Falcon, The Death Star, Darth Vader, Chewbacca, Lightsabers, C-3PO and R2D2 and so much more!)

However, even if you took away this film's impact on both Cinema and the world, you would still have a very enjoyable thrill ride in the science fiction/fantasy genre! A lot of elements of Star Wars are a bit cliché: The orphan protagonist who goes from average Joe to hero, the wise mentor, the non violent duo put in for comic relief, the anti hero, the dark threatening villain and the princess. However, what makes Star Wars so great is how likable it makes it's heroes, how intimidating it makes it's antagonists and the unique spin Star Wars puts on these otherwise cliché factors.

Enter Luke Skywalker! He's a little whiny at first, but you can't help but get behind him. Mark Hamill's performance definitely helps, but it's also the character's sheer compassion and determination to become a part of something bigger that makes him so relatable. You can't help but sympathize with him as his Uncle Owen holds him back from leaving the farm. Luke also has a firm belief in the force and places a lot of faith in it.

Complementing Luke's character is that of Han Solo. Han has far less compassion, and refuses to put any faith in the force. He is certainly more a bad ass in traditional sense and is on the other end of the "hero" spectrum. This is great because it gives the audience options on who they'd like to get behind. If Luke is too much a boy scout, you still have Han to get behind. If Han is too pig headed and selfish, then you have Luke to get behind! Not to mention, Mark Hamill and Harrison Ford have great on screen chemistry.

Darth Vader is done so well as antagonist that he's arguably the most iconic villain of all time, perhaps tied with the Joker. Everything from the unique mask he wears to the size and stature of David Prowse (the actor inside the suit)accompanied by the voice of James Earl Jones gives Darth Vader a highly intimidating presence. However, what makes him interesting and gives him more depth is that he was once good, but was seduced by the dark side of the force and is now evil. He was a victim of his temptations.

Alec Guinness is a brilliant actor and makes Obi-wan Kenobi very likable as well very well spoken and wise. It's very easy to see him as a wise Jedi Master. Princess Leia is a damsel in distress, but she's also tougher than the average one and isn't afraid to take charge.

Aside from the great characters, Star Wars just introduces a very distinct and unique universe. There are so many great vehicle and character designs that are imaginative, interesting and original. All of these things keep Star Wars from being anything from generic. Then there's the pacing of the film. The film starts off with a great attention grabbing introduction, then the film starts to slow down a bit for exposition, but then the film becomes a roller coaster ride throughout the entire second half! The action is very thrilling and leaves a big impression.

Overall, Star Wars still holds up today as a great film. It hasn't aged a bit; non of it's special effects look dated or silly, the characters are still very likable and soundtrack is just epic. Star Wars, in my opinion is the definition of a timeless film. It is now 36 years old and is still better than the vast majority of blockbuster films that have been released within the last year, if not all of them! Star Wars lives up to it's name of simply being a great film.

Star Wars film review final draft 2.docx

Author: brockhunt34 from United States
27 September 2013

Brock Hunt Mr.Hicks ENG 101-008 September 20, 2013

A Space Opera

Star Wars is a movie which focuses on a rebel alliance that fights against an oppressive regime set in a fictionalized universe a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. We're introduced to the main characters Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) and Darth Vader (David Prowse) for the first time. Luke is a farm boy who doesn't have a clue of what is about to happen. Darth Vader is an evil dark lord of the Sith who is trained in the dark side of the force and wants to defeat the rebel alliance. After Luke's family is murdered by the empire, he trains to be a Jedi by Obi-Wan Kenobi to defeat the evil Galactic Empire.

George Lucas made Star Wars: A New Hope in 1976 and was released in the summer of 1977. He made episode four first because the story didn't require any high dollar special effects and wasn't sure how the movie would be accepted. When the movie opened, it received great reviews and audiences were amazed at the special effects. He would go on to direct the following sequels Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Little do people know that George Lucas had the stories and screenplays of episodes one, two, and three already done before episode four was ever released. He did this because at the time technology didn't exist to produce the first three films with the fight sequences and settings that were in the first three films.

I personally love the Star Wars films because of my personal connection with them. My grandmother introduced me to the Star Wars franchise as a child. On Saturday nights I would stay with my grandmother and she would play the movies on VHS. I never get tired of watching the films. Because every time I do, it takes me back in time when she was alive. Star Wars also opened up my interest in Sci-Fi movies. Some can say I'm a nerd but most don't know my extensive knowledge of the Star Wars franchise.