IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 4 of 150: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Legend is Born.........

Author: Jenny from Ireland
6 February 2007

All folklore no matter where you come from as several basic tenants. You have the hero, the villain, the damsel in distress, , sidekicks, minions, guides, heroic battles, tragedies and victories. Good stories but hardly the stuff of a blockbusting movie. Or is it...? How on earth to take something as basic as a Good-vs-Evil Hero-vs-Villain story and make a movie that will capture imaginations? It can't be done can it? You just can't do it? Well yes actually you can. If you're George Lucas.

I was but a babe in arms when the incredible triumph that is the Star Wars Saga was wowing generations of movie-goers worldwide.But although I didn't experience it on the Big Screen I can honestly say I fully understand and appreciate Lucas genius today 20 years on.I can honestly say I have yet to see another Saga measure up to Star Wars in both its look and its content.

The premise of course the story of a young farm boy Luke Skywalker, wonderfully played by a young Mark Hamill who captures Luke's frustrations and desires perfectly.Young Luke seems destined to spend his life on his Uncle's farm on the remote planet of Tatooine doing chores but he dreams off more. He longs to be a pilot and see the universe. But that seems to be nothing more than a dream.

That is until a chance meeting with two droids called C3PO and R2D2 results in his befriending an old hermit by the name of Ben Kenobi( Sir Alec Guiness) changing his life forever. For the old Hermit is in fact a great Jedi warrior called Obi-Wan Kenobi and the droids carry a distress message from a Princess on a Star Ship under the captivity of the Galactic Empire and it's ruthless leader Darth Vadar. Now Luke will leave his home and begin an adventure he could only have dreamed of, make new friends and learn things about himself and his family that he never knew were possible.

Thus began one of the greatest movie adventures of all time and thus were created some of modern cinema's most memorable characters. All the folklore-type characters are present in Lucas masterpiece but he has managed to change and alter them enough to fit his incredible vision.

The Hero of course is young Luke. Spirited and dreamer, Luke is also fiercely brave and loyal and something of an adventurer. He is also desperate to learn more about his Father, about whom his Aunt and Uncle refuse to speak.Mark Hamil is top notch in the role.

The Damsel in distress is the Plucky Princess Leia , played with gusto by the then just 19 year old Carrie Fisher. Leia is the sender of the message that changes Luke's life. She is a member of a Rebel Alliance formed to oppose the mighty Galactic Empire and she was carrying the plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon , the dreaded Death Star to members of the her Alliance when the Imperial Fleet attacked her convoy.Little do either she or Luke know that they are connected by more than the droids.

Luke also acquires a side-kick in the form of the smart, selfish rouge Han Solo. Smuggler and skilled pilot Han also proves to be a useful ally and a firm friendship is formed between the seasoned Solo and the young idealistic Jedi-in-Training. Solo is played by the ever wonderful Harrison Ford who lends just the right amount of sarcastic selfishness to an essentially good lovable character.

Sir Alec Guiness is a cinematic legend and his wise old Jedi Knight is yet another fine performance from this seasoned veteran. Just mysterious enough to make you wonder just who he is and what he knows ( you learn more in EpV) he is also wise and a comfort to Luke ( and indeed the viewer) as he guides the young man ( and us) through his development as a Jedi and a man.

Star Wars also gave rise to perhaps one of cinema's most iconic and best loved Villains. His almost mechanical breathing and deep sinister voice ( courtesy of James Earl Jones) have made Darth Vadar the best loved of all villains and indeed the most feared. At this time he is in command of the Imperial Fleet and rules the Empire with an Iron fist. All in black with that fearsome mask he is the epitome of the Dark Side and is wonderfully brought to life by Earl-Jones and David Prowse who wears the suit.And of course as we see later on he is also one of the most human and pitiful characters in the Saga despite being more man then machine.He will become Luke's biggest threat but also his strongest connection, a connection Luke never dreamed he would find but the last he wants to have.

This was a new genre of film, Sci-Fi mixed with Fantasy and it worked a charm. The world was, and indeed still is, captivated, and its easy to see why. Its got action, suspense, romance, humor, danger and fear. And all this from Lucas twin interests in Space Travel and Folklore combined with a love for and real skill at making movies. The Saga, so wonderfully brought full circle with parts 1,2 and 3 recently , took off from the base so amazingly created in A New Hope and has gone from strength to strength ever since. This film is a wonder of modern film and I firmly believe it will stand the test of time.

From the Lucasian Chair of Entertainment - a masterpiece

Author: prichards12345 from United Kingdom
22 May 2006

I first saw this film on a warm March Sunday evening in 1978, after queueing for a whole hour to get into the cinema. Oh, the anticipation! The excitement! The magic! And here was a film that changed the whole concept of cinema forever, for no matter how many times I return to it, in the flickering dark of the cinema, or the wondrous, glittering DVD release, or in where the film really scores - at the centre of my imagination, that night will live forever in my memory. ANYTHING was possible, wonders could be achieved. Miracles in the here and now. And how lucky I was to share in it.

To the squares that loathe it - I pity you daddyos; you'll never experience what millions of us have felt these past three decades. Go and see Henry Jaglom again; I'll stick with Mr. Lucas - he is THE MAN!

I love this film. Forget what flaws it has - minor they are indeed. Star Wars has become a mystic myth and that sorcerer supreme, Jedi master George Lucas, has given me more pleasure than I can measure. My favourite bit? Almost impossible to choose. Okay, if I must...the stunning Tie Fighter battle with the Millennium Falcon, a work or art in the editing room. It should be hung on a wall somewhere.

George, old chap, if you're ever passing my house please knock - and I'll make you a cup of tea. You deserve that much at least!

This is the first film I ever saw...

Author: Jason Berkley (jdberkley@hotmail.com) from Chicago, Illinois
17 May 2006

Having read a lot of the other comments here, I have to say it's interesting to see how many people begin by saying how old they were when they saw "Star Wars" for the first time(Full disclosure: I was three. My parents saw it at a drive-in theatre, and all I can remember of that experience was seeing Darth Vader for the first time, and knowing that he was very, very bad). I think that speaks to its extraordinary impact. "Star Wars" was an event, I suppose in the way that the Beatles on Ed Sullivan for the first time was an event. It dates you, to a degree, but the reason it was important-- the reason it remains important-- is that it showed you what was possible. For much of the 1960s and 1970s, filmmakers had concentrated on showing us the brutal, heartbreaking truth of our world(The Godfather, Chinatown, Nashville-- some of the best movies ever made), and many of them succeeded brilliantly. But there's a place for dreaming dreams of things that have never been, too, and "Star Wars", with its epic tale of an Empire and a rebellion in a galaxy far, far away, was the dream a generation didn't know it wanted to have until George Lucas gave it to us.

Is it juvenile, at times? Simplistic, even? Sure. So's the truth, sometimes. We want to believe there's a Force, and that Luke can master its use in time to defeat the forces of darkness. So we believe it. Are the effects a bit dated now? Sure, although I still believe them. Did the success of "Star Wars" possibly kick off the modern blockbuster era, which gives us more and more special-effects-drenched dreck every year? Sadly, it probably did. But the thing the wannabe heirs of "Star Wars" usually lack is the one thing that made "Star Wars" such an event--courage.

Back in 1977, nobody was making movies like this. Nobody thought a film like this, with its mythic storytelling arc and its sweeping vision of intergalactic war, could possibly work...with the exception of George Lucas and his fellow filmmakers.I didn't know all that at the time, of course. Like I said, I was only three. But having watched more movies than most people my age now, I feel comfortable saying that in its way, "Star Wars" is as much an independent auteur's film as anything by John Cassavetes or Woody Allen-- it has the same sort of daring, the same desire not to settle for less than showing us something we've never seen before. A bold, grand sense of old-style craftsmanship infuses everything in "Star Wars", and the film delivers on the promise contained in its subtitle. At the time, it really was a new hope.

Brilliant, entertaining space epic of good versus evil

Author: roghache from Canada
26 March 2006

This is an incredibly entertaining and well crafted space epic that has become a modern day legend and spawned several (for me, disappointing) sequels and prequels. This classic is a basic story of good versus evil, combined with a futuristic space setting and special effects. While it may be kind of fun to jokingly tell others 'May the force be with you', no one should seriously be getting their theology from it (as a few cult like followers seem to) since really, it's essentially a science fiction fairy tale.

As everyone must surely know, this original Star Wars tells the story of a handsome young farm boy and our hero, Luke Skywalker, who teams up with Han Solo, Chewbacca, a couple of 'droids' (C-P3O and R2-D2), and of course the grand master, Obi-Wan Kenobi to protect the galaxy from the villainous Darth Vader and save the beautiful Princess Leia from the clutches of the Evil Empire.

The movie became part of everyday life in the late 1970's and 1980's, and the phrase 'Evil Empire' so commonplace and universally understood that President Raegan used it to describe the Communist regime of the former Soviet Union. His proposed plans for defensive space weaponry even became known as the Star Wars missile defense program.

The actors are all perfect in their roles. Mark Hamill gives a charming boy next door heroism to the young Luke Skywalker, Harrison Ford a charismatic magnetism to Solo, Carrie Fisher a vulnerability, yet smart and feisty competence to the captive Princess, and Alec Guinness a mature wisdom to Kenobi. Of course the real stars of the show are C-P3O and R2-D2, an extremely lovable character who never actually speaks but simply pops and whistles. Each droid has a clearly defined personality and their interaction together is priceless.

It's a great story with wonderfully noble, courageous heroes and dark, dreadful villains. Wonderful special effects of course and star fighting action sequences. In fact, the problem for me with the later Star Wars movies is that, apart from developing the character of Darth Vader and revealing the origin of his wickedness, the other films are primarily effects, star fighting, and galactic bars. Short on plot for adults, in my opinion. I really enjoyed this original picture, but found the prequels and sequels boring to sit through. Also, the Star Wars movies do not have anything comparable to the character interaction present in the Star Trek TV series or films, which I much prefer to Star Wars, even this original episode.

However, George Lucas and his string of Star Wars pictures are a legend, and this first movie at least is a barrel of entertainment for both kids and adults.

Silly kid's movie or world-changing classic?

Author: bobsteimle from United States
29 June 2005

From a scientific point of view, C3PO is as silly as you can get, from the way he looks and walks to the ridiculous things he says. He goes from berating his friend, R2D2, to worrying for his safety, from calling him incompetent to saying "I knew you could do it" when R2 eventually saves them all. Aside from the incessant whining of Luke, who manages to be funny without having a sense of humor, we relate to him. We feel the frustration he feels when he is stuck on the farm, the pain he feels from the death of his aunt and uncle and later when he loses Ben Kenobi.

The waving of blasters with flashes of light which are obviously added later, the terrible aim of anyone shooting at our main characters, and the big presentation of awards to our heroes at the end of the movie make me feel retarded for liking this film so much. But the pure goodness of the good guys (except for Han) makes me want them to win and makes me glad when they do. They're trying to save us all from the evil empire. Star Wars is so popular because most of us want to be the good guys, the ones who risk everything to do the right thing for the right reason and be appreciated by the people we save. This is the reason Spiderman was so enormously popular. He's just a kid who has some moral goodness, whom we can be proud of. Most of us would love to be Luke Skywalker.

Magical and unique experience

Author: MarSco from Luxembourg
19 May 2005

What else can there be said about this galactic masterpiece which has not already been said? Now in times where the saga is (hopefully) complete, "Star Wars" still stands out as one of the most important movies of the film history.

Even though some dialogs may be silly (but memorable nevertheless) and in spite of several logical mistakes, George Lucas' Science-Fiction-film can easily be considered as one of the most entertaining works ever. The spectator is introduced in a universe full of fantastic concepts and locations and meets there some archetypal characters, such as the beautiful and innocent princess, the keen, naive hero, the dark, evil villain, the wise, old man, etc. The mixture of fairy tale and western elements is extremely fascinating and seems almost perfect. Lucas' direction is so skillful that even the above mentioned drawbacks eventually appear as positive characteristics of this space odyssey.

No matter its meantime rather bad reputation, "Star Wars" is and will always remain one of the most magical cinematic experiences you can make. It is one of those movies you would like to talk about hours and hours, but which after all cannot be taken into words.

Rating: 96

MarSco

One for the history books!

Author: hansololover (dudewerzmycheese@hotmail.com) from NY
18 April 2005

This movie, along with the whole original trilogy, just blows me away! It truly has all the elements a good story needs. The characters have suction cups all over them that glue them to your memory, because they're just so great! The story revolves around young Luke Skywalker, a farm boy who wants more adventure in his life. Adventure finally arrives to him in the form of two droids, sent by Princess Leia, a beautiful woman begging someone named Obi-Wan Kenobi for help. Leia is a huge part of Rebel Alliance, a group of people determined to stop the Empire's reign of terror and evil. When Luke meets up with Obi-Wan, they set out to deliver plans inside the droid to Leia's father, plans that can stop the most destructive weapon ever from destroying any planet that stands up for good. Teaming up with a cocky pilot who is more caring than he lets on named Han Solo and his CoPilot Chewbacca (big dog/ape/bigfoot like creature) the heroes are thrust into adventure beyond Luke's wildest dreams, complete with a heroine, henchmen, space ships, battles and the most menacing villain a movie has ever seen.

Star Wars is a movie you won't forget soon after watching it. It's full of excitement, humor, romance (more so in the ESB, the sequel), great dialogue danger, and a never tiresome fight between good and evil. I recommend the trilogy to anyone and everyone who hasn't seen it (that would be...3 people...don't worry though, I'm a pretty newly converted fan too!) Han Solo rocks! May the force be with you all. 10/10

Do movies get much better than this?

Author: highflier81 from United States
23 January 2005

Not really. Almost 30 years later, Star Wars is a household name. It would be a challenge to find someone who has never heard of Mr. Lucas's little adventure story. This highly imaginative story is one that almost anyone could find enjoyable. The weaving of action, adventure, drama, conflict, and a plethora of other genres and literary devices is absolutely remarkable. All of this encased in a theme of science fiction is a clear cut example that great writing is just that, great writing. A New Hope along with its sequels, especially the two that followed, TESB and ROTJ will be remembered for a very very long time, even in a galaxy far, far away.

Say what you will

Author: velvets203 from United States
12 January 2005

Say what you will about this movie, its legions of fans, its prequels and sequels. No other set of movies is as well-liked by both "geek" and normal cinema lovers than Star Wars. People of all ages, race, and gender enjoy the movie, unlike many other cult-ish sci-fi movies (Star Trek anyone?) This movie has crossed all culture barriers, with characters, lines, and creatures all well known from one set of movies. You have to live under a rock to not know some of the story lines, statements and characters from this film. The funny thing is how some special effects from this movie look BETTER than some effects made in the 2000's (The Rock in Mummy Returns, anyone??) CGI, to someone like me, just can't compete with scale models, puppets, and camera tricks. I highly recommend this movie to the five people in the universe that have not seen it yet. 25 years later, and it is still, and will forever be, a classic. 10 of 10

The movie that made me a movie fan!

Author: brandonennals from New Jersey, United States
17 December 2004

This was it! When I was growing up, this was the best and more influential movie of my childhood. Classic good versus evil tale. I love watching this even more now that newer episodes have been releasing. Their are a lot of references to what is going on in the new movies. This movie is a classic and ranks as one of my favorite movies. I love the story lines and for its time, the visuals were incredible. I watch other movies that came out around the same time as this movie, and visually, you cant even compare them. This was a movie that raised the bar. Nothing felt forced even though many movies were going to be spun off of this one. One of the greatest heroes and villains in the same movie. Everything about this movie is great, even if it is a little cheesy.