IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 138: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

This is exactly what a movie should be...

Author: DarthVoorhees from United States
20 June 2005

One word can describe Star Wars...Perfection with a capital P! Star Wars is so perfectly molded together filled with pieces all so crucial yet all so wonderful,John William's A+++ score, or James Earl Jones' powerful voice.Really George Lucas' picture should be put next to the word Lucky in the dictionary.He had such a bizarre concept,and people had doubts.I mean if he was pitching Star Wars to me I would too.Yet this is the Little Movie that Could so to say.The acting is A+,my personal favorite performance is Alec Guiness as Obi-Wan Kenobi.People would argue about Geogre Lucas not being a great director after the infamous Prequels,that's a load of B.S.Lucas pours his imagination on the screen and the audience is captivated.We have to give a standing ovation to ILM which started in the 70's with Star Wars.The movie is still amazing to look at nearly 30 years later and with C.G.I in the movie making mix.The plot sounds bizarre on paper but it works wonders on screen and flows quickly,I don't believe I have ever checked my watch while watching Star Wars.I have to applaud Mr.Lucas,Star Wars has fueled the imaginations of many and will continue to fuel generations to come.One moment can describe the impact of the whole Star Wars experience/impact for me,the scene where Luke looks into the setting suns accompanied by William's brilliant score.It's a very moving scene.I really think it tells you to look out for more in your life to become something so to say.Star Wars can only be surpassed by it's sequel Empire Strikes Back but looking back at both I think they are even.Empire Stikes Back and Star Wars are in my opinion the best movies ever made

Epic in every way

Author: hall895 from New Jersey
25 May 2005

A classic story with a perfect cast, memorable score and dazzling special effects. Movies don't get any better than this. More space opera than true sci-fi, Star Wars takes you on a magical ride through a galaxy far, far away.

The first moment of genius comes right at the very start with a written crawl which gives a basic plot outline and without which all that immediately followed would be hard to place in context. After John Williams' now legendary opening theme we are thrust into the first of many thrilling space battles to come. Almost immediately we are introduced to one of the great movie villains of all time, Darth Vader who is voiced with true menace by James Earl Jones, and it becomes clear that this film is not quite like anything we have seen before.

Star Wars may seem to be your typical good versus evil swashbuckling adventure but there's a lot more going on here. The hero, Luke Skywalker, is your typical simple, clean-cut farm boy who will soon be thrust into the middle of a galactic war of as grand a scale as could be imagined. But he is not our only hero. Princess Leia, a leader of the rebellion against the evil Galactic Empire, is certainly not your typical helpless fairy-tale princess. She gives as good as she gets. Obi-Wan Kenobi is the older, wiser more seasoned hero and the mentor young Luke will desperately need. Han Solo is a space pirate in it only for the money, not for any revolution. Solo's first mate aboard his ship, the Milennium Falcon, is Chewbacca, a giant Wookiee who is remarkably adept at space flight for a creature which resembles a hairy two-legged dog. Also along for the ride to help our heroes are the droids C-3PO and R2-D2 who provide not only critical help for our heroes but some comic relief for the audience.

The performances in Star Wars are all first-rate. Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker plays the young, naive Skywalker very well and Hamill grows right along with the character throughout the film. Carrie Fisher brings the appropriate smarts, skills, sophistication and determination to Princess Leia. Without Fisher's quality performance it might be hard to believe that this young woman could play such a pivotal role in a rebellion of this magnitude. Alec Guinness is reliably brilliant as old Jedi master Kenobi. He is mysterious, quiet and reserved yet very strong indeed. Stealing the show is Harrison Ford as Han Solo. It seems Ford gets all the best lines and he makes the most of them. Luke Skywalker may be the nominal hero of the film but it is Ford as Solo from which Star Wars gets most of its personality.

George Lucas has crafted a true masterpiece here. The classic struggle of the underdog against the evil oppressor takes on many new twists here. The mysterious Force, the foreboding and menacing Darth Vader, alien creatures of all imaginable shapes and sizes, the epic nature of a battle which rages across an entire galaxy...in the end it all comes together to form something unique and truly wonderful. With action and adventure on a grand scale, fascinating characters on both sides of the fight, special effects that were revolutionary for the time and an ever-building sense of drama and excitement Star Wars is an absolute triumph.

The Beginning of a Wonderful Trilogy of Films

Author: Michael Kelley from United States
16 December 2013

Well, the only way to begin this review is to mention when I saw "Star Wars" for the very first time. I was merely a baby, from what I recall my parents telling me before their divorce. I wasn't even born when this first feature film hit theatres. I'm nineteen now, but I must admit that "Star Wars" was one of the many things that decorated my childhood. I always adored it, and always looked-up to Luke Skywalker. It was the type of view I can only assume all boys had; we all wanted to be a Luke Skywalker. We wanted to be the cool hero with a lightsaber. In this review, I will do my very best not to give you a biased review. However, forgive me, for I have always been a "Star Wars" fanatic. This was my first re-viewing in quite a while, so at least I'm reviewing the film with a clear set of eyes.

When two droids, C3-PO and R2-D2, escape the clutches of a shoot-out on a spaceship, they land on a desert-covered landscape, only to find themselves captured as slaves. They are reunited among the slavetraders, called Jawas. The Empire realizes that Princess Leia Organa had sent a message along with one of the droids who managed to escape the attack, so they begin to hunt for R2-D2 and C3-PO. Little does the Empire know that a young man, Luke Skywalker, and his uncle, Owen, had just purchased the two droids from the Jawas. While cleaning the two droids up, Luke stumbles upon the message Princess Leia had left for an "Obi-Wan Kenobi". Luke considers "Obi-Wan" a possible relative of a man named Ben Kenobi and goes on the look for him. For now, I will end my synopsis for the fact that I just described the first half-hour of the film. I want there to be more for you. All you need to know is that Luke is taken on a journey that changes his entire life and purpose, helping him make a transfer from a teen who longs to leave the ranch he is stuck living on to a man seeking the fall of the Empire. This film isn't just a film; it is a true adventure.

When it comes to the acting in "Star Wars", I truly don't believe it could get any better whatsoever. Mark Hamill was born to play Luke, Harrison Ford dominated his role as the swift Han Solo (a bounty hunter Luke ends up traveling with), Carrie Fisher is courageously independent as Princess Leia and doesn't fall into the shadows of her co-stars, but Alec Guinness was exceptional as Ben (or Obi-Wan) Kenobi. There is something magical and hopeful about the way Alec portrays Obi-Wan in this film. Also, Anthony Daniels is perfect as C3-PO! He may have been the simple comic relief, but I promise you he was the perfect choice for this character. I truly cannot see anyone ever playing this golden-plated character, who has practically become the symbol for any outsider who may have not seen the films. Without a doubt, the acting was exceptional in all respects. I believe the trickiest had to have been David Prowse, seeing as how Lucas ended-up not using Prowse's real voice for Darth Vader. With that thought, I must say that I enjoy James Earl Jones' voice much more for the character.

Anyways, moving along! The writing of each character was phenomenal. I feel that the banter was so well-done that it brings these characters to life even more, seeing the situations each of them are in within the duration of the film. "Star Wars" was also plotted very well, with all events and scenes not feeling out of place once.

The special effects, I must say, are top-notch, even if they have aged a bit in 2013 viewer's eyes. At some points, the effects look fantastic, while other scenes look like a "Star Wars" fan film from YouTube. That's common with classic cinema, so I don't mind it. I sincerely believe that people aren't the only ones to age.

This "Star Wars" film is definitely not my favorite, but it runs right behind "The Empire Strikes Back" and "Return of the Jedi", on my list. Overall, it is still very enjoyable with set designs that look like legitimate places amongst the galaxy. The detailing of the sets in this film are just shockingly realistic.

"Star Wars" deserves the eight stars that I have rated it. I like it, hold it as a memory in my heart, but find it to be an action-fantasy film, for the most part. It is brilliant, it is intelligent, and it is worth a try. I highly recommend the film.

May the force be with you all! God bless, and Merry Christmas!

One of the most popular films of all time, and understandably so

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
4 November 2008

I was never a "Star Wars" guy growing up. I wouldn't say that I was a "Star Trek" guy growing up either ("Doctor Who" was my sci-fi franchise of choice growing up, and still is, even though I'm not a big fan of Russell T. Davies' version of the show), but I would definitely choose my favorite episodes of the original series or "Deep Space 9", "The Wrath of Khan", and "The Undiscovered Country" over any "Star Wars" film. I've seen the original trilogy a couple of times previously, once as a kid, once in my mid-teens, and now I sit down to watch "Star Wars" again, having been inspired by catching half of "The Empire Strikes Back" on TV recently and being enthralled by it.

The first thing that struck me is how great the opening shot is, just after the scrolling text that is. The rest of the movie was pretty much how I remembered it being- a collection of great set-pieces and memorable characters, and a great mythology, but with a story which wasn't nearly as grand and great as "The Empire Strikes Back". Although a point of criticism aimed at "Star Wars" by its (relatively few) detractors is that it doesn't quite match the real feel of a 30's/40's serial, I think that it really does, and not only in the way it is shot and the transitional wipes and all that, but in the writing, the acting, and just about everything else. It has that same sense of adventure, and although this particular film is nowhere near as good as some of my favorite serials, it remains something which very accurately captures the feel of watching one of those, and its popularity (and the popularity of "Raiders of the Lost Ark") is hence quite understandable, as very few of even the big summer blockbusters have the same sensibility and sense of adventure, and well, fun.

Watching "Star Wars", in spite of it not being my favorite of the original trilogy, serves as a reminder of the talent which George Lucas had at one point. I don't think this film is as good as his previous effort, "American Graffiti", which is the greatest 'coming of age' film I've ever seen, and one of the most beautiful films ever made from a visual standpoint, but it's still got spirit and energy which his later efforts just don't. It's quite sad, really.

There's really nothing I can say that hasn't been said already (which is true, certainly of many popular films, but this is freakin' "Star Wars", so trust me, I have NOTHING to add to what has already been said). There are "Star Wars" devotees who swear it is the greatest of the trilogy and one of the best movies ever made, there are detractors who think it's cheesy nonsense, and then there are others like me who like it quite a bit, but aren't sure where all the extravagant praise comes from. "The Empire Strikes Back"... Well, that's a whole other story.

star wars fan forever

Author: valjoemv-1 from United States
26 June 2005

When Episode IV came out I was not even born. I guess I was too young to see Episodes V & VI. So my brother and grew up with it on the TV screen. When The Special Edition was getting released into theaters my brother and I were like "We HAVE to see them!" So on opening day my brother and I got in line at Tinseltown 290 in Houston to buy four tickets. Standing behind me is a Cinemark employee dressed as Darth Vader. I don't know why I laughed at that moment. We originally wanted the 10:45pm showing but it was sold out and they added an extra showing at 1am. So at 1am myself, my brother, our Dad and our aunt went to see it. The lights went out and some guy behind us yelled "Chewie!". You those familiar drums then the Fox logo. Then Lucas Film Ltd the people applauded. Then "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away." There was silence for that. Then the "Star Wars" came on the screen the theater applauded loudly. It was great. My brother and I agree George Lucas is a genius. Such imagination. He deserved that AFI Life Acchievment Award this year. George Lucas joins the ranks of Steven Spielberg, James Cameron, Peter Jackson among others as a great director. Way to go George!

Author: Mattias Thuresson from Stockholm, Sweden
29 July 1998

The definitive sci-fi movie. Totally reshaped the genre where the movies are appropriately regarded as 'before Star Wars' or 'after Star Wars'. Best in the original trilogy. The 1997 special edition did not add much content, only effects wizardry.

A fun film

Author: gregmovies from United States
1 September 2008

Filled with great characters and a fun story, Star Wars is well deserving of its reputation as a classic. John Williams score alone makes this a film worth seeing. The characters are unforgettable and the special effects impressive for its time, but very outdated now. The different alien species are one of the best things about the film. The Cantina scene showing an array of Lucas' creations is particularly fun.

I give this film a 7/10. Looking at it subjectively, it isn't a really good film. A lot of clichés, bad dialogue, cracker jack philosophy, and unimpressive acting. Yet, for some reason, I find it hard to say anything bad about this movie. My favorite film as a child, and one I still enjoy, mostly for nostalgia.

The original version was brilliant...

Author: mentalcritic from Southern Hemisphere
31 March 2003

I was actually born about a year after this film first premiered, but being a member of a family that was the first on the block to get such things as the VCR and the proper Hi-Fi system allowed me to catch this film in a number of different formats in the years ranging from 1982 to 1997. I think it is safe to say that without this film, I would have had no idea how truly evil a thing Pan And Scan is, or why multi-channel audio is such a damned important thing to have in the home theatre environment.

Of course, I also knew that the film wasn't perfect. I could see a number of small problems where Lucas' budget just didn't quite go far enough, or where there just wasn't enough time to accomplish what was wanted. So when the announcement was made that in 1997, each film would be presented with improved special effects and footage that could not be integrated in the original cut for reasons of budget or practicality, I was excited.

For the most part, I was overjoyed to see the new footage or effects. Mos Eisley now looks like a real city or port of commerce, without the viewer's sense of disbelief at the seemingly deserted streets needing to be suspended. The flight of the X-Wings towards the Death Star in its original form was very good, a marvel of its time, but when George finally got to show it the way he wanted to, it was almost the equivalent of watching the helicopters of Apocalypse Now decimating the village to the tune of Ride Of The Valkyries. The wonderfully composed tracking shots especially made the battle look almost as if it really happened and Lucas was just there to take pictures. And Jabba? Well, he doesn't look all that real, granted, but it was just nice to have that one piece of footage in order to make the appearance of Boba Fett in Episode V and the entire prologue of Episode VI make a bit more sense, especially to dullards.

Unfortunately, there are a number of times when Lucas just goes too far in his quest to improve his work. Sometimes you can only do so much to anything before it starts to look overdone. Of course, I am talking about the scene between Han and Greedo in the cantina. In the original version, we are led to believe Han is a scoundrel who only cares about himself, giving us one of the best character arcs in the whole trilogy. It is also a great tribute to Sergio Leone, a nice reference to when Tuco shoots a potential assassin from his bathtub and tells the corpse "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!". Modifying this scene so it looks like Greedo shot first is an insult on a few levels. It insults Greedo as a character, making him look like one of the most incompetent bounty hunters in the galaxy. It insults the audience, who even at the age of six should no that you'd have to be blind, drunk, brain-damaged, or all three, to miss from that distance. Lastly, it insults the character of Han Solo by destroying a vital piece of said character arc. Watching Han go from scum to a leader of men, a space-age version of King Aragorn even, was one of the best things about the original Star Wars trilogy.

The story itself is the stuff of classics in that it shows the most unlikely of heroes doing things that everyone else claims to be impossible. What Lucas got right in terms of pacing and plot here is exactly where he went wrong in the prequels, in that he makes the jump from location to location seem important to the plot and totally natural, rather than forced and choppy. The story and sense of adventure makes one forget that there are really only three major locations other than the inside of a space ship.

Overall, the original Star Wars rates an eight out of ten. If Lucas had applied some common sense in conjunction with his rampant desire for revisionism, I would give it a ten, but as one critic who is famous for his negativity once said about Episode II, when was the last time anyone told George Lucas no? Still, this is a classic that should be shown to future generations as an example of how an imagination and enough literacy to realise it will open doors for you when nothing else will.

The good movie that ruined Hollywood

Author: The Ebullient One from Terra
29 March 2003

****Spoiler Warning********

Before I say anything else I need to point out I liked Star Wars. As a movie by itself it was a good sci-fi flick that opened new vistas in special effects and scope of story; quite literally an entire new universe was opened before our eyes.

That said, no other movie did as much to bring the "blockbuster" mentality to Hollywood, where the moguls realized it was possible to make so much money on one movie that they could not only retire but buy that island they always had their eye on. It also brought the idea of movies as franchises to the fore, where now the movie came not only with toys but books and games and fast food meals.

Sadly it seems "Star Wars" and "Empire Strikes Back" were the best of the movies, as we found out first we were starting out in the middle of the story and later we got the prequels that were supposed to expand the plot but instead only muddled it. (And they were so bad! on top of it.)

Star Wars was a cinematic nuclear bomb for 1977, and brought with it the moneymaking mess we now call Hollywood.

Classic bit of fun sci-fi – a space western!

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
30 June 2002

The Republic has fallen and the Empire rules the galaxy as a dictatorship, seeking to destroy dissenting voices. The Empire's ultimate weapon, the Death Star, is fully on line and capable of destroying whole systems. The Jedi have been destroyed, save a few living in hiding, unable to compete with the force of the Empire. However Princess Leia has the plans showing a weakness within the Death Star. Before she is captured by Darth Vader she gives them to droids C3PO and R2D2 and they escape. When they land on a nearby planet they find Luke Skywalker and set out to find the owner of the droids Obi Wan Kenobi, or Old Ben Kenobi. Obi Wan begins to train Luke in the way of the force as they try to get the information to the Rebellion before the Death Star can be used at full power.

It's not a brilliant piece of filmmaking – lets be honest, Lucas isn't the Shakespeare of our generation. However what it is, is a good story of good v's evil, a western of goodies v baddies set in space. The story is simple but contains clear characters. The thing that sets it apart is the fun – the sense of wonder for kids but also the enjoyment it brings to adult. The story is good for a sci-fi with a lot of history and back-story clearly set out up front. The action scenes are mostly great – not dry effects but with a real sense of action and excitement too.

This may be the 4th part but it's also our first chapter, it is light and enjoyable but hints that this is only part of an ongoing battle. The way it relates to kids and adults is obvious as it broke records and everyone of a certain age knows about Star Wars! The effects still look good today – in many ways the model work looks better than all digital effects simply because they are `real' and don't just exist within a computer. Sound effects, comedy, music – it's all pitch perfect and sets up the rest of the series really well.

Hamil is ok as Skywalker (`Blonde hair, blue eyes' – Chasing Amy!). He is suitable for a kids film and he does well with his role. However like part 1 has Anakin at his least interesting, part 4 has Luke yet to develop into darker areas. Ford is perfect as Han Solo – he adds character and flair to some dry performances. Alec Guinness adds maturity to the whole film and is so good is Obi Wan that even Ewan McGregor just does an impression rather than recreate the role. Darth Vader is just the right side of silly camp villain, Jones' voice is a perfect fit and he has real menace and power. Bits players such as Chewie, C3PO, R2D2 etc all add comedy in spades.

Overall this film is even better now that we know how it all fits together in Star Wars `history'. But even without all the hype this is a really fun sci-fi that is enjoyable, simple and really good fun to watch if you're in the mood. Having a deeper perspective on it just makes it all the better.