IMDb > Star Wars (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 137: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Most Memorable movie of all time...

Author: skywalke from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
6 August 2001

No other movie could ever have the same influence on the movie industry as well as lives as Star Wars has. Not only was this film by George Lucas one of the most popular films of all time when it came out in 1977, but in 2001, almost 25 years later, Star Wars continues to sell and continues to be talked about as one of the best. The Special Edition is also proof of its still popularity, proving it is still popular today. John Williams' score is also heard almost everywhere and received the biggest ovation when I saw him in Pittsburgh this year. I am sure 20 years from now Star Wars will still dominate and still be one of the greatest films ever made. Thank you George Lucas.

Defining Moment Of The 20th Century

Author: bleakeye from not sure
5 August 2001

"Star Wars" is perhaps the most successful movie franchise of the 20th century. From movie ticket sales alone, it has made George Lucas a very wealthy man. Add the toys, games, t-shirts and other merchandise and it should establish Lucas as part of history. A person has just got to start wondering how this movie ever become so incredibly profitable. Although this movie is watchable and even innovative, I really cannot put "Star Wars" in the same categories as impressionable films like "Sunset Boulevard", "Stagecoach", "Casablanca", "The Bridge On The River Kwai" and even "Pulp Fiction".

My reason for saying that pertains to one factor, director George Lucas. Although many would argue, I think that Lucas is not a good director. He always seems to be lacking focus with Star Wars' story, in which was almost the case with "American Graffiti" (Thankfully, he didn't). I'm very impressed with the innovative visual effects of "Star Wars" as I am with any film afterwards that ever utilized it justifiably in connection with the certain film's story (it's sequel, "The Empire Strikes Back" is much better in many aspects). Unfortunately, outside of it's visual delights, it just doesn't have anything that other films hadn't already shown (even if this was made for children). From the whole "boy leaves home" beginning (Mickey Rooney has done it before with more feeling) to it's much appreciated "bar room scene" (straight out of many westerns and even some war themed films), there isn't anything we haven't seen before. Although the whole galactic twist on which the movie is based is totally original, majority of the ideas are still pretty much re-hashed from greater films (Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress", Errol Flynn/Michael Curtiz movies, etc.).

To re-evaluate, the bad parts consists of lack of originality. The idea's, topic's and situations' originality in which a film's greatness lies are sadly missing. The good parts which are visual design in terms of special effects and costumes definitely proves it's place in being a great landmark picture. I just don't recognize it as the one of the greats. This reaction could be the result of years of watching movies again and again and unexpectedly realizing a certain film's depth and lasting capabilities. A good, not great movie full of innovation yet lacking any depth that is only realized when seen again.

11 in 77

Author: Pale Flag (Paperhouse@imagination.freeserve.co.uk) from London
2 August 2001

To truly appreciate the impact Star Wars had on the life on the average kid in 1977, you just had to be one of those kids. I was 11 back then and you can take it from me, Star Wars, was just the most exciting thing ever. Yeah I played with the toys, joined the fan club, bought the comics and all the rest of it but that's just regulation kids stuff. Star Wars fired the imagination like nothing before. I remember in the school playground acting out different scenes with my friends and arguing over who was going to be Luke. One time, so may kids wanted to join in we had to get a little creative in deciding who should do what. So just like in the film we got two people to play Vader. One did the voice and the other the sound of his breathing. Someone else had a curious talent for imitating the sound of doors opening and closing. We even had a couple of Jawa's for heaven's sake (Orteedee!). We'd have endless discussions about what Vader really looked like and how cool it would be to own a real Light Sabre - Wow! We kept scrapbooks, put posters on the wall, made models (badly) thought up quizzes to test each other, entered competitions and found endless other ways of enabling Star Wars to enter our lives. I just can't explain how much more of a "force" for fun and escapism it became above and beyond those first two awe inspiring hours at the picture house. Looking back I remember those days with much affection and still retain a fragment of the sense of wonder and excitement only "Star Wars" could evoke. The force is with me, even now.

Awesome movie! Couldn't be better

Author: bookmorphfan from A galaxy far, far away
2 August 2001

This movie is BRILLIANT!! It couldn't be greater! From the opening scenes with the Star Destroyer and Leia's Corellian Corvette to Harrison Ford ad-libbing his lines in the Detention Area to the Battle of Yavin, this movie keeps you sitting on the edge of your seat. If you haven't see this movie, was it nice in that cave you were living in? This movie is a classic sci-fi movie, and it will always be one of my favorites!

One of my favorite movies ever!

Author: rtf2001 from Brainerd, Minnesota
28 July 2001

Star Wars is a triumph in filmmaking. It has a simple plot, good acting, and it is one of the most original and creative films I have ever seen. And all of those elements combined make for one of the best movies I have ever seen.

Most of you who are reading this probably have seen the film, but for those of you who haven't, (See it now!) I won't give away the plot of the film, even though you might already know it. The film stars Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Harrison Ford (Han Solo, who is my favorite character), Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia), Alec Guiness (Obi-Wan Kenobi), and James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader, who is one the most evil and menacing villians to ever grace the screen. The film co-stars Peter Cushing (Grand Moff Tarkin), Kenny Baker (R2-D2), Peter Mayhew (Chewbacca), and Anthony Daniels (C-3PO). The relationship between R2-D2 and C-3PO adds some humor to the film, also.

Like I said earlier, Star Wars has a simple plot, but it still has a good plot. That's one of the reasons why I like the movie so much. The movie does have some good performances, also. Harrison Ford brings sarcasm and wit to his character Han Solo. Alec Guiness does a great job and the wise, old Jedi Knight Obi-Wan Kenobi. James Earl Jones does a very good job as the voice of the villain, Darth Vader. Mark Hamill does a pretty good job as Luke Skywalker, but he sometimes tends to get a little annoying. The film also has exellent visual effects for its time.

This film is directed by George Lucas, who hasn't directed many other movies, but he is still a very good director and writer. He wrote all of the Star Wars films.

Overall, I think that this is the best of the Star Wars movies, including Episode 1, which was a bit of a disappointment, but a good movie all the same. If you haven't seen this legendary film, don't waste your money to rent it, go out and by the whole trilogy. You won't regret it. 10/10.

The film that started it all

Author: Altaira from Wellington, New Zealand
28 June 1999

It's 1999, 22 years since the original release of Star Wars, and we still have people flocking to SW conventions, dedicating entire web sites to SW, spending hundreds of dollars on posters and action figures, and generally assuring that the SW frenzy will live forever. Okay, I'm not critical of the die-hard fans, since I am one myself and very proud of that. I am told I bear a striking resemblance to Carrie Fisher, so I dressed up like Leia for Halloween once, complete with the cinnamon-bun hair. (I wanted to be Yoda but the costume shop said the outfit only had one ear.) Regardless whether you're nuts about SW or not, it is a masterful exercise in filmmaking and the original movie was, of course nominated for an Academy Award. Pretty unheard of for a sci-fi/fantasy.

George Lucas famously described the trilogy as a "three-act play." Everyone is introduced in the first act, SW; they are placed in a dark, desperate mess in the second, ESB; and finally they get out of the hole in the final third, ROJ. This setup works fairly well for the trilogy, although some find fault with Lucas's idea. They say Star Wars has too little character involvement, Empire is too dark, and Return is too happy. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but I think Lucas's strategy works well in the long-term effect. We grow to love the characters after three movies; things like that take time and sometimes multiple movies!!!

Although SW is not my favorite of the three (I find it somewhat campy and unemotional,) it was a fantastic starting block and lead-in to The Empire Strikes Back, which was one of the most anticipated sequels of all time. Mark Hamill was adequate as Luke Skywalker, although the whining was a little irritating. The aerial battle above and around the Death Star is fabulous. James Earl Jones immortalized the ominous voice of Darth Vader. Carrie Fisher is young and tenacious (and not as drugged out as in the second movie. I'm not cruel, just honest!) And Harrison Ford was absolutely perfect as the rough-n-tumble Han Solo.

Judging by its cult-like following (heck, even Wedge has his own fan club!), Star Wars is one of those immortal things, so you might as well love it.

Time has been kind to it

Author: Meredith-7 from Melbourne, Australia
26 June 1999

Having just seen Episode 1, I watched Star Wars Episode IV again to see if I could get some sort of idea of how the story may join up in two episodes time. I couldn't really figure this out, as there are thousands of possibilities. But I must say that Star Wars is still as good today as it was 20 years ago. The special effects were still good, not as impressive as Episode 1 but for the time, they were excellent. What is weird is that in basic terms Star Wars is just a good vs evil story, but its the way its done with all the other elements interwoven that make it so good. The end battle scene is the best, and has been copied many times over in numerous inferior films. I cant really imagine what life would be like without Star wars, i grew up on it and it holds a special place in my memory. As soon as the now famous score by John Williams starts up you know you're in for something special. Why can't they make more films like this?

STAR WARS--The Original American Film Epic

Author: Jason C. Atwood (atwoods@mindspring.com) from Suffolk, Virginia
9 May 1999

A long, long time ago, I was never familiar with STAR WARS until this familiar sound of music played on the radio. Later, visions of action figures on TV commercials dominated my Saturday mornings. This sure was a completely giant success story that even I couldn't understand way back in my pre-school years, but it was just happening. It took years of waiting experience to get a new VCR, and I finally took advantage of the Force. If you were like me, your early childhood days have been rough because you never got to see the STAR WARS trilogy. Fascinated by flying spaceships, bold warriors, and especially C-3PO and R2-D2, the days were a joy to behold. George Lucas' sci-fi epic that includes this first original movie is a timeless treasure, thanks to his establishment of a fantasy adventure that goes galactic. He's not just an ordinary director, but a director of technology. The excitement of its epic combat battles are worth infinite viewings, and was destined to blow away the audience with a rapid-fire force of impact. And this revolutionary piece led to numerous imitators!

You can very well remember how George Lucas and the whole ILM gang made this trilogy through its history of complications. The original STAR WARS was a terrible undertaking for Lucas because he wanted a movie that feels true to realistic. When JAWS was playing in 1975, it showed off some new special effects technology of a great white shark, and managed to achieve in editing. That hit film was released at a time when production values remained tight, which they were often called "B" movies. STAR WARS has been the same thing, and it wasn't exactly clear that high-quality visuals would ever be possible. It would take more than the entire National Football League to create a 70s masterpiece. Lucas tried, and won by displaying a thrilling speed of action with a lightning fast pace. One example is the brief "hyperwarp" scene, where one blink of an eye ruins your day. When you have an incredible view of the fireworks, there's always a big plot to make more excitement. Like the movies themselves, one good story leads to another.

Without characters, there wouldn't be a movie at all. Make them appealing and then everyone can enjoy the fun. Han Solo (Harrison Ford) lives the adventure; Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) is always the bold type; Chewbacca The Wookiee adds to the chemistry with his furry appearance; likeable droids C-3PO and R2-D2 are loved by the kids. But there's always the villain, Darth Vader whose familiarity would still be hated through fun, but always recognizable. This first installment actually serves as an introductory platform for the characters and their potential of things to come. We know them well, but this is only the beginning (in Episode four!). Keep in mind, though, that Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) has always been the central hero of the series. Pretty fascinating!

Always take notice of the 1997 Special Edition. This is a mandatory must for STAR WARS newcomers who still haven't taken advantage of the Force in all these years. The myth is that there aren't a whole lot of changes. The truth is that they're saying quite a lot because the editing of these enhancements is phenomenal, and hasn't been done before. It's a remarkable achievement in modern film technology, and the scene with Jabba The Hut explains why. Remember that some of original pieces of footage remain the same with a certainty of noticeable glitches, which is still a minor offense. Add to this some incredible restoration and we still have a sci-fi gem that will stick around longer while the new trilogy slowly builds on. Think of this, you're watching an entirely new movie!

I hope this original movie and the whole trilogy in itself doesn't fall victim to a terrible amount of backlash when EPISODE ONE arrives. That one will do excellent business based on our cravings for special effects; they actually sell the movies! Should it happen, this would be a fatal blow to preserving a quality image to American cinema, past or present. We must take for granted that movies are essential as entertainment, and how the many possibilities can be discovered. Judging a movie's popularity against the odds is only going to hurt it. It is currently being demonstrated with E.T. (1982) and TITANIC (1997), two highly acclaimed films that are receiving tons of negative criticism and scrutiny from the public. They do this by pushing popularity off the wall. At least we know how to handle STAR WARS movies carefully, and while we enjoy science fiction as a make-believe cushion, it's important to know that it took a genius like George Lucas to create a universe where excitement exceeds the imaginable. Without him, the movie industry would be in deep space beyond the far reaches of our galaxy. The greatest movie ever made? Only on a cult level; it is the best one for the crowd, but consider this a fine American piece of movie art for all.

The Force will be with us.....always.

The Best Film Ever!!!

Author: chewie-15 from Exeter, England
6 February 1999

This film is a really great film. It has everything from sci - fi, comedy, action and romance. It does not matter what age you are Star Wars can appeal to anyone at any age. Star Wars is much more than just a film, one only has to look at the cult following it has. For anyone who has not seen it this timeless classic is worth watching again and again.

Captures the imagination

Author: Erik Goodwyn (edgood01@homer.louisville.edu)
3 February 1999

Probably everyone has heard of the Star Wars movies. They stand out as pieces of mythology, classic film lore, and technical wizardry. Star Wars set the standard in Sci/Fi movies and special effects have been a huge part of movie making ever since. Simply put, Star Wars is a masterpiece, made with meticulous attention to detail by a reclusive but highly knowledgeable film maker known for experimenting. Star Wars speaks to the child in all of us, that naive spirit of adventure, of Good versus Evil, that pure idealism that surrounds us with feelings of awe and wonder. It's a great work of imagination, of tribute to the classics of the past, of legends, heroes, magic and wide open fantasy. George Lucas was right when he said that modern audiences longed for a mythology all their own, and he delivers with his epic story, aimed at kids of ages 8 to 80, with a grand sweep. I love these movies.