IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 11 of 149: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

The Legend begins

Author: Amy Edwards from Los Angeles, California
22 May 2016

I wasn't born when this movie was released for the first time in theaters. I heard many things about it especially how this movie was so badly received by the most acclaimed critics of that time and predicted very wrongly that this movie will be a bust.

Well nearly 4 decades later, yes already, force is to admit that it was a true misjudgment from them. It is a classic and it will remain a model for the genre, the movie which revolutionized everything from A to Z. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched it time and time again with the same delight and it never fades away.

There are so many to tell about that absolute masterpiece starting with the story. It has anything to please everyone. It's epic, chivalrous, has some dose of humor and first of all a story about friendship and how it pushes to make the most impossible tasks accomplished. There is also that epic aspect of the struggle between good and evil so beautifully depicted.

Many of its scenes are also classics like the space battle against the Death Star, the light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader or even the final scene of the movie when Luke, Chewbacca and Han are awarded for their heroic moves which saved countless lives.

I can talk also about the characters who are as famous as the movie itself. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia Organa, Darth Vader, CP-3O and R2D2 are part of the legend of the 7th art. It has become part of our culture, anywhere in the world.

Then you have the music by John Williams which matches perfectly the mood of the movie. It's epic a lot of time, very sad when Obi Wan dies and the rest of the team is mourning his loss. The music is a big part of the effect the movie procures to us, to keep us engaged until the very end.

The cast is also superb and there is such a strong bond between the actors which reflects a lot on the movie. At the time they weren't known but I guess there is a before and after Star Wars for Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Now they have become such recognizable figures and I was very pleased to see them back together in the last installment of the saga even if it wasn't as good as I expected. Their performance were still very accurate like they were owned by their respective characters. How I wish it would have been the same for the rest of the cast.

So this movie is how the Legend begins. How a movie supposed to crash became the starting point of a love story of almost 4 decades with the public. Like what you don't need the critics to make a movie becoming a true icon.

Laser Focused

Author: michaeltong-29180
4 May 2016

What really stood out to me after watching The Force Awakens a couple of times and coming back to A New Hope was how focused it is. It's confident in the world it's building and it doesn't try to rush everything. It's not afraid to be weird. I mean it has robots, who aren't even the main characters, walking around in the desert for 5 minutes. Few, if any, blockbusters have that kind of confidence these days.

I'm amazed at how much the film expects you to accept in just a short amount of time, but it works because it allows the audience to take in the world. In comparison, TFA has ADHD (not that I hate it).

Yes, some of the special effects are dated and some of Luke's lines are cringe-worthy, but it is full of heart and that can be felt throughout the film.

People laugh at the poor choreography of Vader and Obi-Wan's final duel, but in my opinion it is still one of the best in the series. Not because of how they are fighting, but because of why they are fighting. Almost every line in that duel is classic.

Another good thing is that ANH can stand on its own. It's self-contained and it tells a relatively complete story. These days, a lot of movies that are meant to spawn franchises suffer from sequel-baiting. While the possibility of a sequel is hinted at, the film itself doesn't hinge of having one.

It's a shame we can't get a proper restoration of the original version, but despite all the additions, ANH still maintains its essence.

That I've watched it so many times and still haven't gotten bored of it is a testament to how good it is. Few films have ever left an impression on me like this one. I don't think it can just be nostalgia. Many films that I liked as a child I later realized weren't as good as I remembered, but not A New Hope.

A landmark of the cinema-history

Author: tankace from athens
3 May 2016

In honor of May,the official Star Wars month, I will review all the Star Wars movies in chronological order. Now lets start with the New Hope: It opened on May 1977 and after that the world as a whole changed big time. This movie is even studied as the archetype of the hero journey and made the words like ,lightsabers, the Force, Jedi and names like Lya ,Luke , Han Solo and of course Darth Vader known world wide.Every science fiction flick or TV series after 1977 is in, one way or an order, a child ,godchild or imitator of Star Wars. From Guardians of the Galaxy to Rick and Morty and almost anything in between. The impact can be seen in movies or series from totally different genres, for instance due to its success studios decided to invest in the superhero stories that inspire George Lucas to create this unforgettable saga and from that it came Richard Donner's Superman ,Tim Burton's Batman and the 1992 X-men series and Batman the animated series ,which are the fathers (spoilers) of the superhero genre ,which now dominates Hollywood. In simple ,no Star Wars, no Superheroes!! If you have not watch it ,I feel sorry for you and go do it now!!

One of the most essential movies ever

Author: Ante Vrban from Croatia
3 May 2016

Star Wars. It is undeniably one of the most essential and influential movies ever. Star Wars is an engrossing adventure, and it should be seen in a non-remastered version, but more on that later. Tomorrow is an International Star Wars Day, so to celebrate it, the review follows.

The movie is a masterpiece of filmmaking without a doubt. It's use of practical effect overshadows the prequels with it's staying power, along with some gorgeous and visually impressive shots. This is true George Lucas's vision before he was trying to sell merchandise. Star Wars is a lighthearted adventure which has a lot of fun, humor and action in it.

The plot is simple, yet it pulls you in. It could be argued that there are three main characters, but for this movie I consider Luke Skywalker(Mark Hamill) to be the sole main character.He is a 20-year old who lives with his aunt and uncle on a planet of Tatooine and has dreams of becoming a pilot, little did he know that his dreams will come true in a way he didn't imagine....Galactic Empire rules the galaxy and there are rebels who are aspiring to crush the Empire, who are lead by Princess Leia(Carrie Fisher). Galactic Empire has developed an ultimate weapon a.k.a. the Death Star which has the ability to destroy planets.

The main villain in this movie is Grand Moff Tarkin(Peter Cushing) who leads the Empire troops, and he is a great villain and a joy to watch. However, this movie features one of my all time favorite villain in Darth Vader. It could be argued that he didn't do too much in this movie, but he is definitely a show stealer. The man in a costume is David Prowse, but the man doing the Darth Vader's voice is James Earl Jones. Whether it is physical or voice acting, Vader has a menacing presence.There is also a smuggler Han Solo(Harrison Ford) who is born for his role and Ben Kenobi(Sir Alec Guiness) who actually didn't like this movie at all, but nevertheless put in a memorable performance. There are also two awesome droids: R2-D2 and C3PO which have a lot of comic relief and are a joy to watch. The cast is generally very likable and very good in what they are supposed to do.

This movie is iconic. There are so much iconic things in it: The Death Star, Darth Vader, the Force(religion which is considered ancient in this movie), space battles and a greatest fictional weapon - the lightsaber. The movie is full of fun situations and every fan of adventure/space/sci-fi movies should watch it. It should be watched in it's unaltered version, because I feel Lucas's remastering only takes apart great elements from the movie, although it is still a great watch.

Overall, Star Wars is one awesome movie, which has elements of adventure, sci-fi, epic, space and fantasy in it. It features a likable cast, simple yet interesting plot and a sense of exploring the galaxy,it has a great staying power, even on multiple viewings and it is impressive how it's sequel manages to be even better.May the Force be with you!

One of the Most Iconic, and Best, Films Ever Made

Author: Nick Holland from Missouri, United States
29 April 2016

Star Wars is directed by George Lucas and is the story of a young man named Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) that lives on the desert planet of Tatooine with his Uncle and Aunt. As he reaches his late teenage years, he begins wanting to leave the planet and live his own life, away from the desolate wasteland of a planet. However, as soon as he begins to become passionate about leaving, he meets an old hermit named Ben Kenobi (Alec Guinness), that tells Luke that he knew his father, who was a Jedi Knight, before the Empire had taken over. This information leads Luke on an adventure, pitting himself against the Empire and the dark side of a mysterious energy called The Force.

Near everyone knows the impact that Star Wars had on the film industry. After the massive hit that Star Wars was, filmmaking had changed forever, and for the good. George Lucas had simply revolutionized a new era of film, bringing to life many sequels, and prequels, and an entire new generation of filmmakers and fans. Not only is Star Wars legendary, it's amazing as well. A film can be remembered, and not that great, but Star Wars is, simply put, fantastic.

The best thing about Star Wars, if there is one, is the groundbreaking special effects. Even now, almost 40 years later, the special effects don't look fake. All of them look completely believable and great at the same time. This is mostly due to George Lucas' use of models. Rather than making everything out of CGI (cough, prequels), Lucas used small models of the Death Star, the Tie Fighters, The Millennium Falcon, etc. He filmed these models shot for shot, and it payed off, due to just how great the effects look all this time later.

Not a single soul can talk about Star Wars without mentioning its score. As most know, John Williams composed the music for Star Wars, and did a fantastic job with it. The iconic opening theme is one of the most memorable songs ever composed, both for a film, and of all time. Near everyone can remember the tune of the song, and it's heard everywhere. In fact, I heard the opening theme being whistled by a worker in my local grocery store a couple days ago. The memorableness of this score is incredible, and deserves all of the praise that it gets.

The acting is also great. Mark Hamill does a great job as Luke, and plays the character like nobody else could. Harrison Ford is literally perfect at playing Han Solo, and brought to life one of the coolest movie characters of all time. Princess Leia, played by Carrie Fisher, is a great character, and is portrayed very well by Fisher. Alec Guinness is absolutely amazing as Ben Kenobi, and so is the actors that portrayed C-3PO and R2D2, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. All of the actors in Star Wars are very talented, and did great in their roles.

Also, the script, written by George Lucas, is astounding. Before this movie was made, none of the cast or crew expected it to do well, especially with the outlandish script. However, nobody could even imagine the vastness that is the Star Wars universe today. The script propelled this film in every way possible, and is the biggest reason, aside from the special effects, that Star Wars was such a success.

The last thing about Star Wars that I'll mention is the villain, Darth Vader. Not only is Darth Vader the most iconic movie villain of all time, he's the best as well. Without knowing anything about his past yet, Darth Vader is still a very compelling and fantastic villain. He's menacing, intimidating, and likable all at the same time. Darth Vader is perfectly acted, both physically and in voice (credit: Peter Cushing and James Earl Jones). He's the perfect villain, and did so much for the Star Wars franchise.

Overall, Star Wars is easily one of the most iconic films ever made, and, in my opinion, one of the best. Anyone and everyone should watch Star Wars; it's highly likely that you'll enjoy it.

Oh, ya! Such a beautiful movie!

Author: ambu96 from Italy
26 April 2016

è Una Bel film. mi è Paquito favorer Tonto, peon DI quell battle laser pew pew fig-he, poi c'è ache Ben Kenobi ch poi Si Chaim Obi Wan ma è ugly perchè Si Chaim Obi Wan Ben Kenobi Neilla version esters. Darth Feder (O Dark Vader per glib Ami's) Sabra captive ma in found Si Verde ch è Una bu-on padre, sprout quanta accede IL Sui maestro. Poi ch dire, Leia non ha IL Reggis e Si Verde, Han ha separator per prim, Greedo e per ques to mi.. E Luke è Una Rafaello Nell'anon, o almoner ha quell ambiance e quell utilità. Poi la Morte Negra (oppure DI co lore) fa molt Aura ch con Una Reggi ti incense IL can cello DI Casar. E bast, Bellini

The one movie that changed it all

Author: Dario Vaccaro from Italia
23 January 2016

Oh, boy. Reviewing a film that so many critics have been writing about is so hard, but also deserves a try for sure. The original Star Wars is not that kind of movie you love because it's so well made or so complex and deep; you love it because it makes you happy. George Lucas back in the day didn't want to create the perfect sci-fi movie (he says so in a Rolling Stones review), as that was "2001: A Space Odyssey" in his opinion; he wanted to make something special in its lightness, a space opera not focusing on space (as did its future rival, Star Trek), but on a very, very simple story of a rescue (and later on in the saga, a family). Each character is just perfect in his role: Luke, the hero, with his strong sense of duty; Han Solo, the roughneck, a guy whose role in the universe is not yet written but soon will be; Princess Leia, a role model for girls at a time when a woman leading a group of adventurers was just fantasy. And this is just the main squad. I won't dwell on the amazing comedic commentary by the two droids (one of which, without a single word, became the favorite character of many fans!), the ominous figure of the mysterious Darth Vader and the mentor Obi-Wan Kenobi, with the delicate role of introducing us to the mystical side of this world, the Force. No movie is perfect for me, and in this case I'll have to state the one, unimportant flaw in the whole original trilogy: the acting in itself isn't great and some points of the plot are off. That said, the chemistry between the actors is palpable and the story is so funny, you don't need to stress every aspect of it.

When every single scene in a movie is canon, you know you're watching a masterpiece. 9/10

Great Flick

Author: James O'Donnell from Liverpool, England
22 January 2016

Star Wars (later to be known as A New Hope) was released in 1977 after a particularly difficult production directed and written by George Lucas and staring Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Alec Guinness. It is the first film in the Star Wars trilogy (fourth if you count the prequels which we're not) which went on to be a huge unexpected success. To this day Star Wars and its successors are considered some of the greatest and most influential sci-fi films ever made, changing the way films were made and revolutionizing special effects.

I think Star Wars is fully deserving of its mass amounts of praise because it really is an excellent film, right from the beginning I was impressed. The amazing and now iconic score by John Williams booming while brilliant models (which aren't even noticeable as so) soar across the screen, a small Rebel Alliance ship and a huge Imperial Star Destroyer offer as some great visual storytelling, showing us where each side stands in this massive conflict. The good guys are heavily outnumbered and you feel this immediately as the suspense of watching the Rebel soldiers fear for their lives as the ship is attacked and quickly overrun by hoards of Storm Troopers during an exciting and thrilling action sequence.

While the action is superb throughout, it's not the only thing that the film has to offer. One reason these films are as timeless and memorable as they are is because of the brilliant characters that are all for the most part well acted, even if Mark Hamill does show that this is his first major role, often coming off as annoying and poorly performed (something he greatly improved upon in the sequels). The dialogue was well written and felt very natural with great humorous moments which are just a delight to watch. That being said I felt the interactions between characters was something greatly improved on in the sequels.

I mentioned before that the special and practical effects were seamless and stunning and the same goes with the costumes, make up and sets. All felt stunningly real considering the fact it was mainly strange aliens and far away worlds. You become immersed immediately in this huge expansive world.

A huge player in what makes this film so entertaining is how mysterious all of it is, you are introduced to more names and places you want to learn more about and when you do even more questions arise, some mentions you don't even get a resolution for until Return of the Jedi. It all added to the excitement and tension of the film which put a huge childish grin on my face.

Overall Star Wars is a brilliant film, it's exciting, it's epic in scale yet manages to be so close to the characters and emotions that drive the film and make it so classic. The effects are to this day excellent and the score is simply amazing. If you have not seen this film yet (how?), I highly recommend it, something as universal as this will be enjoyed by pretty much anyone.

A Quest to find it's timeless essence.

Author: signal7 from Michigan
21 January 2016

This review has been written in my quest to ferret out why this movie has never seemed stale to me, regardless of the dozen times viewing it since it's initial release as I wonder why it is not ranked as one of the greatest cinematic achievements of the last century.

The Editing is superb, from the exciting opening shots the tension is allowed to flow exquisitely into informative character development then the scenes start to build up again until the thrilling take off encounter with the Deathstar then the pace is halted but evenly sustained for the final grand conclusion which allows this film to stand on it's own even if a sequel was not to follow. It is action and story melded to perfection.

The Dialogue is another aspect that deserves praise, it serves either to inform the audience of the background of this new universe, to create creditable bonds between our heroes and to break the tension with spontaneous levity that allows the audience to knowingly embrace the experiences of these characters as something that they would also like to participate in. Not one single line uttered is wasted

And lastly the Cinematography. The real secret ingredient to this movies sense of realism. Is rather simple, almost every new chapter starts with a grand galaxy wide-shot then narrows slowly down to intimate close takes, pulling the viewer in and out of this newly created universe and making them feel that there are levels of depth from the galactic to the intimate in it's cinematic world building.

One could go on to further analyze the actors, the groundbreaking effects, the characters and the set designs. But I believe that it is these three essential masterclass backbones of Editing, Dialogue and Cinematography that has made this film timeless and should be elevated higher in the critical annuals of cinematic achievements.

Lucas's intense study of past grandmasters had served him well and places his first big film strongly in their welcoming company.

A Cinematic Feat Of Imagination, Vision & Creativity That Hypnotized An Entire Generation!

Author: CinemaClown from India
19 January 2016

This is the film that started it all. The first instalment in the Star Wars saga that would later go on to revolutionise its genre, change the landscape blockbuster filmmaking & become a cultural phenomenon, Star Wars (also known as Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope) is a cinematic feat of imagination, vision & creativity that hypnotized an entire generation with its freshly envisioned & awe-inspiring world, first-rate adventure, interesting characters, state-of-the-art visuals & an epic soundtrack.

Having no nostalgic relation whatsoever with this epic space opera, all I can say is that my first stint with Star Wars didn't go as well as I anticipated. Where others heaped praise upon its visual effects, set pieces & other stuff, I found it to be a picture that wasn't just awfully dated but also terribly juvenile, filled with cartoonish creatures, unintentionally hilarious & pretty mediocre in all departments. The ingredients that made it a revolution of its time are visible beneath its degraded visuals but it's not as timeless as they say it is.

Set in a galaxy far far away, Star Wars finds the galaxy in a state of civil war for a conflict brews between the Galactic Empire & the Rebel Alliance. The plot focuses on Luke Skywalker, a young boy on a desert planet who inadvertently acquires a pair of droids that possess vital information from Princess Leia regarding the Empire's latest weapon plus her request for help, following which he joins forces with a Jedi Knight, a couple of smugglers & his two droids to rescue the princess from the evil Darth Vader and save the galaxy from the Empire's tyranny.

Written & directed by George Lucas, Star Wars is his pet project that permanently engraved his name in the annals of cinema and later spawned a franchise that would go on to redefine epic filmmaking. What's commendable is the mythology Lucas created from the scratch, taking inspirations from different sources but adding an original touch to it. The movie features a simple good vs evil storyline, but what elevates it above mediocrity is its then-sweeping special effects, innovative filmmaking techniques, fascinating set pieces, stunning score, few excellent characterisations & a sense of something new yet familiar.

Considering the time it was released, Production design team makes efficient use of its limited budget to come up with wonderfully detailed set pieces, the stupid-looking aliens are brought to life with puppetry or whatever means was available back then, Cinematography exhibits some inventiveness which is quite evident from the first frame. Visual effects was groundbreaking in the 1970s but has severely degraded over the years and looks very cartoonish nowadays. Editing provides a consistent pace & fine flow to its narrative but its 121 minutes can become suffocating if you're not intrigued by its fantasy world.

And then there is John Williams who contributes with an iconic score that evokes a sense of epicness at all times plus his soundtrack comprises of tracks that beautifully compliment the story's adventurous ambiance. Coming to the performances, Star Wars is notable for launching the acting career of many and features quite an ensemble in Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guinness & others who chip in with fine inputs in their given roles. Although nearly all the characters present in this film became part of the modern culture, Darth Vader is the only one that was impressive in my opinion, plus James Earl Jones' voice did add an intimidating quality to him.

On an overall scale, Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope may not look as dazzling & revolutionary today as it was during its time of release but its influence on later sci-fi space operas & other films cannot be understated. For me, this was more or less disappointing for its severely outdated visual encapsulation never allowed me to take any of the unfolding events seriously and for the most part, it was downright laughable. It may have evoked an entirely different reaction from me if I had seen it at least 15 years ago but as of now, even though the effect of Star Wars on its genre, blockbusters & film marketing can still be felt, I feel no love for the saga that many happen to be so crazy about.