IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 11 of 154: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Impressive,the most impressive!

Author: nikxatz from Greece
28 June 2016

Star Wars!A brave hero,a princess,an amazing bad guy,a cool smuggler,2 funny robots and of course a green alien!Everything that a perfect science-fiction film needs!In my opinion,Star Wars is and will always be one of the best movies because it combines adventure with drama and a...lot of science fiction!It is also a nice story about an evil father, his powerful son and his courageous daughter,Leia!Moreover it has great effects for a film in the 80s and includes amazing characters,an interesting plot and nice fights between evil and good!Star Wars 4 is great,due to ...everything and especially the begging with Darth Vader and the blowing of the Death Star!!!Although, my favourite Star Wars film is" The Empire Strikes Back"because of Yoda,the green alien and of the fight between father and son which is absolutely amazing!I consider all Star Wars films epic!Star Wars is a part of my life and of my culture and it will always be!May the force be with you!

The day the world changed forever!

Author: danielaustin-735-484497 from United Kingdom
12 June 2016

A low budget sci-fi popcorn flick that changed movies and Hollywood forever!

I don't know where to start with this film as it changed the world. We had had some SFX in old fantasy films like Sinbad or Jason and the argonauts or space oddessy 2001 but when I sat down I the cinema for the fist time nothing could prepare me for what was about to happen!

The opening sequence where the camera pans down to the planet followed by the rebel ship and then the star destroyer flying over your head. No one had seen or imagined anything like this was possible let alone watching it right before their eyes! And it kept on getting better!

it was like having a black &a white TV and then suddenly walking into a 3D IMAX! You couldn't comprehend what was actually happening.

There is often a debate about the greatest movie of all time. Some say Citizen Kane or Shawshank to name a few but for me it's Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back.

The score is ahead of its time. To be honest nothing has ever come close. It makes a massive impact on all 3 original films.

Let's review it by breaking it down:

Story - classic story which had stood the test of time Special Effect - absolutely amazing Set design - original, faultless and imaginative Musical score - absolute classic Pace of the film - spot on

When I first saw this film I was blown away! I had never seen anything like it and come to think of it I really have. for me it's an all time classic that changed the movie industry for ever.

If you're sitting at home reading this, rake it out and watch it now. It will put a smile on your face and that's what it's all about.

For those who haven't given this a 10 I can't understand it.

The movie that is the definition of 'a movie'

Classic Film

Author: Justin MacIver from Belton Tx
10 June 2016

This movie has defined a generation, and spawned a multimedia empire. With its now classic scrolling text, it created a new genre of film - the space opera. Influenced by Joseph Campbell, Lucas created a space western that hadn't been re-created since in any serious way. Even the much loved Firefly never had the same cult following. Star Wars' timeless feel resides in its classic archetypes the white hats. black hats to boo, and a classic princess to be rescued. It has a John Ford feel, with comedic relief in the twin yin yang feel of the droids R2-D2 and C3P0, the teacher with Obiwan, the lovable rogue Han Solo, the sidekick with a heart of gold Chewie, the student Skywalker and the love interest with a kick Lea. This is one film series that will end up outliving us all.

Where it all began

Author: davekeanu
6 June 2016

I remember when I was 9 years old when this movie was repeated on channel 10 and I found it really enjoyable to watch. The story is very strong for a SCIF movie. The costumes are very good for the aliens and the robots too. The most likable characters are Luke sykerwalker Han Solo and C3po and R2D2 But I think its the droids are the ones who steal the comedy in this movie As always the story always go for a part 2 so their is always a little more more to the story and secrets being revealed latter on in the series. Overall This is another classic masterpiece that is wroth watching.

The beginning of a movie symbol.

Author: Filipe Neto from Portugal
28 May 2016

In this film, we see the struggle of the rebels to destroy a secret weapon of the Galactic Empire, whose great general is Darth Vader, a dark, sadistic and mysterious character. Directed and written by George Lucas, this film has the participation of Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Alec Guinness and David Prowse.

This film marks a before and an after in the sci fi. It's essential in this film genre, becoming, thanks to an imperishable popularity, a cinema icon, given the social and cultural importance that it has acquired over the decades. With an audience always faithful and unconditional admirers, the Star Wars saga continues to this day to impress and captivate. The actors were always excellent in their roles, the director/writer is one of the biggest sci-fi genius, the script is very good and the story has no dead moments: it's an intergalactic adventure that only stops at the end. No doubt that this film is excellent, it is a work of art. However, it seems that the latest audiences have more difficulty in enjoy this film, given the lack of the colorful and vividness of the actual computerized effects and cinematography. They have to understand that this film has been done in a given period, with all the available techniques at the time. And if they understand this well, they're more easily able to admire it. In fact, although the picture is quite different from what we are used to actually, it's still very well done. The special, visual and sound effects have always been good, and leave us amazed to think it's a movie with more than thirty years. The soundtrack is something that makes our hearts pounding. John Williams did an extraordinary job and managed to catapult himself to stardom, with great and deserved merit. I only have one bad comment to do: some of the effects and scenes, such as explosions and fire in the middle of outer space, where there is no oxygen, are scientifically impossible, and this should have been predicted by the production team before the film release. But this kind of errors are endemic in sci-fi.

This film won the Oscar for Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, Best Sound, Best Editing, Best Visual Effects and Best Soundtrack, which shows the quality of the work developed here. Definitely, despite some wrinkles, this film is like a well-dressed and made up lady, looking younger than it really is.

The Legend begins

Author: Amy Edwards from Los Angeles, California
22 May 2016

I wasn't born when this movie was released for the first time in theaters. I heard many things about it especially how this movie was so badly received by the most acclaimed critics of that time and predicted very wrongly that this movie will be a bust.

Well nearly 4 decades later, yes already, force is to admit that it was a true misjudgment from them. It is a classic and it will remain a model for the genre, the movie which revolutionized everything from A to Z. It is one of my favorite movies of all time. I watched it time and time again with the same delight and it never fades away.

There are so many to tell about that absolute masterpiece starting with the story. It has anything to please everyone. It's epic, chivalrous, has some dose of humor and first of all a story about friendship and how it pushes to make the most impossible tasks accomplished. There is also that epic aspect of the struggle between good and evil so beautifully depicted.

Many of its scenes are also classics like the space battle against the Death Star, the light saber duel between Obi-Wan and Darth Vader or even the final scene of the movie when Luke, Chewbacca and Han are awarded for their heroic moves which saved countless lives.

I can talk also about the characters who are as famous as the movie itself. Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Chewbacca, Leia Organa, Darth Vader, CP-3O and R2D2 are part of the legend of the 7th art. It has become part of our culture, anywhere in the world.

Then you have the music by John Williams which matches perfectly the mood of the movie. It's epic a lot of time, very sad when Obi Wan dies and the rest of the team is mourning his loss. The music is a big part of the effect the movie procures to us, to keep us engaged until the very end.

The cast is also superb and there is such a strong bond between the actors which reflects a lot on the movie. At the time they weren't known but I guess there is a before and after Star Wars for Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher. Now they have become such recognizable figures and I was very pleased to see them back together in the last installment of the saga even if it wasn't as good as I expected. Their performance were still very accurate like they were owned by their respective characters. How I wish it would have been the same for the rest of the cast.

So this movie is how the Legend begins. How a movie supposed to crash became the starting point of a love story of almost 4 decades with the public. Like what you don't need the critics to make a movie becoming a true icon.

Laser Focused

Author: michaeltong-29180
4 May 2016

What really stood out to me after watching The Force Awakens a couple of times and coming back to A New Hope was how focused it is. It's confident in the world it's building and it doesn't try to rush everything. It's not afraid to be weird. I mean it has robots, who aren't even the main characters, walking around in the desert for 5 minutes. Few, if any, blockbusters have that kind of confidence these days.

I'm amazed at how much the film expects you to accept in just a short amount of time, but it works because it allows the audience to take in the world. In comparison, TFA has ADHD (not that I hate it).

Yes, some of the special effects are dated and some of Luke's lines are cringe-worthy, but it is full of heart and that can be felt throughout the film.

People laugh at the poor choreography of Vader and Obi-Wan's final duel, but in my opinion it is still one of the best in the series. Not because of how they are fighting, but because of why they are fighting. Almost every line in that duel is classic.

Another good thing is that ANH can stand on its own. It's self-contained and it tells a relatively complete story. These days, a lot of movies that are meant to spawn franchises suffer from sequel-baiting. While the possibility of a sequel is hinted at, the film itself doesn't hinge of having one.

It's a shame we can't get a proper restoration of the original version, but despite all the additions, ANH still maintains its essence.

That I've watched it so many times and still haven't gotten bored of it is a testament to how good it is. Few films have ever left an impression on me like this one. I don't think it can just be nostalgia. Many films that I liked as a child I later realized weren't as good as I remembered, but not A New Hope.

A landmark of the cinema-history

Author: tankace from athens
3 May 2016

In honor of May,the official Star Wars month, I will review all the Star Wars movies in chronological order. Now lets start with the New Hope: It opened on May 1977 and after that the world as a whole changed big time. This movie is even studied as the archetype of the hero journey and made the words like ,lightsabers, the Force, Jedi and names like Lya ,Luke , Han Solo and of course Darth Vader known world wide.Every science fiction flick or TV series after 1977 is in, one way or an order, a child ,godchild or imitator of Star Wars. From Guardians of the Galaxy to Rick and Morty and almost anything in between. The impact can be seen in movies or series from totally different genres, for instance due to its success studios decided to invest in the superhero stories that inspire George Lucas to create this unforgettable saga and from that it came Richard Donner's Superman ,Tim Burton's Batman and the 1992 X-men series and Batman the animated series ,which are the fathers (spoilers) of the superhero genre ,which now dominates Hollywood. In simple ,no Star Wars, no Superheroes!! If you have not watch it ,I feel sorry for you and go do it now!!

One of the most essential movies ever

Author: Ante Vrban from Croatia
3 May 2016

Star Wars. It is undeniably one of the most essential and influential movies ever. Star Wars is an engrossing adventure, and it should be seen in a non-remastered version, but more on that later. Tomorrow is an International Star Wars Day, so to celebrate it, the review follows.

The movie is a masterpiece of filmmaking without a doubt. It's use of practical effect overshadows the prequels with it's staying power, along with some gorgeous and visually impressive shots. This is true George Lucas's vision before he was trying to sell merchandise. Star Wars is a lighthearted adventure which has a lot of fun, humor and action in it.

The plot is simple, yet it pulls you in. It could be argued that there are three main characters, but for this movie I consider Luke Skywalker(Mark Hamill) to be the sole main character.He is a 20-year old who lives with his aunt and uncle on a planet of Tatooine and has dreams of becoming a pilot, little did he know that his dreams will come true in a way he didn't imagine....Galactic Empire rules the galaxy and there are rebels who are aspiring to crush the Empire, who are lead by Princess Leia(Carrie Fisher). Galactic Empire has developed an ultimate weapon a.k.a. the Death Star which has the ability to destroy planets.

The main villain in this movie is Grand Moff Tarkin(Peter Cushing) who leads the Empire troops, and he is a great villain and a joy to watch. However, this movie features one of my all time favorite villain in Darth Vader. It could be argued that he didn't do too much in this movie, but he is definitely a show stealer. The man in a costume is David Prowse, but the man doing the Darth Vader's voice is James Earl Jones. Whether it is physical or voice acting, Vader has a menacing presence.There is also a smuggler Han Solo(Harrison Ford) who is born for his role and Ben Kenobi(Sir Alec Guiness) who actually didn't like this movie at all, but nevertheless put in a memorable performance. There are also two awesome droids: R2-D2 and C3PO which have a lot of comic relief and are a joy to watch. The cast is generally very likable and very good in what they are supposed to do.

This movie is iconic. There are so much iconic things in it: The Death Star, Darth Vader, the Force(religion which is considered ancient in this movie), space battles and a greatest fictional weapon - the lightsaber. The movie is full of fun situations and every fan of adventure/space/sci-fi movies should watch it. It should be watched in it's unaltered version, because I feel Lucas's remastering only takes apart great elements from the movie, although it is still a great watch.

Overall, Star Wars is one awesome movie, which has elements of adventure, sci-fi, epic, space and fantasy in it. It features a likable cast, simple yet interesting plot and a sense of exploring the galaxy,it has a great staying power, even on multiple viewings and it is impressive how it's sequel manages to be even better.May the Force be with you!

One of the Most Iconic, and Best, Films Ever Made

Author: Nick Holland from Missouri, United States
29 April 2016

Star Wars is directed by George Lucas and is the story of a young man named Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) that lives on the desert planet of Tatooine with his Uncle and Aunt. As he reaches his late teenage years, he begins wanting to leave the planet and live his own life, away from the desolate wasteland of a planet. However, as soon as he begins to become passionate about leaving, he meets an old hermit named Ben Kenobi (Alec Guinness), that tells Luke that he knew his father, who was a Jedi Knight, before the Empire had taken over. This information leads Luke on an adventure, pitting himself against the Empire and the dark side of a mysterious energy called The Force.

Near everyone knows the impact that Star Wars had on the film industry. After the massive hit that Star Wars was, filmmaking had changed forever, and for the good. George Lucas had simply revolutionized a new era of film, bringing to life many sequels, and prequels, and an entire new generation of filmmakers and fans. Not only is Star Wars legendary, it's amazing as well. A film can be remembered, and not that great, but Star Wars is, simply put, fantastic.

The best thing about Star Wars, if there is one, is the groundbreaking special effects. Even now, almost 40 years later, the special effects don't look fake. All of them look completely believable and great at the same time. This is mostly due to George Lucas' use of models. Rather than making everything out of CGI (cough, prequels), Lucas used small models of the Death Star, the Tie Fighters, The Millennium Falcon, etc. He filmed these models shot for shot, and it payed off, due to just how great the effects look all this time later.

Not a single soul can talk about Star Wars without mentioning its score. As most know, John Williams composed the music for Star Wars, and did a fantastic job with it. The iconic opening theme is one of the most memorable songs ever composed, both for a film, and of all time. Near everyone can remember the tune of the song, and it's heard everywhere. In fact, I heard the opening theme being whistled by a worker in my local grocery store a couple days ago. The memorableness of this score is incredible, and deserves all of the praise that it gets.

The acting is also great. Mark Hamill does a great job as Luke, and plays the character like nobody else could. Harrison Ford is literally perfect at playing Han Solo, and brought to life one of the coolest movie characters of all time. Princess Leia, played by Carrie Fisher, is a great character, and is portrayed very well by Fisher. Alec Guinness is absolutely amazing as Ben Kenobi, and so is the actors that portrayed C-3PO and R2D2, Anthony Daniels and Kenny Baker. All of the actors in Star Wars are very talented, and did great in their roles.

Also, the script, written by George Lucas, is astounding. Before this movie was made, none of the cast or crew expected it to do well, especially with the outlandish script. However, nobody could even imagine the vastness that is the Star Wars universe today. The script propelled this film in every way possible, and is the biggest reason, aside from the special effects, that Star Wars was such a success.

The last thing about Star Wars that I'll mention is the villain, Darth Vader. Not only is Darth Vader the most iconic movie villain of all time, he's the best as well. Without knowing anything about his past yet, Darth Vader is still a very compelling and fantastic villain. He's menacing, intimidating, and likable all at the same time. Darth Vader is perfectly acted, both physically and in voice (credit: Peter Cushing and James Earl Jones). He's the perfect villain, and did so much for the Star Wars franchise.

Overall, Star Wars is easily one of the most iconic films ever made, and, in my opinion, one of the best. Anyone and everyone should watch Star Wars; it's highly likely that you'll enjoy it.