IMDb > Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope More at IMDbPro »Star Wars (original title)

Page 2 of 154:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

An adventure story, replacing six-shooters or swords with laser guns and horses with rockers…

Author: Righty-Sock (robertfrangie@hotmail.com) from Mexico
30 November 2008

The film turn on the endlessly renewed battle between good and evil, the former represented by the Jedi knights and the mystical Force which they are in touch with, and the latter by the Galactic Empire with its Nazi-like storm-troopers…

Luke Skywalker's simple farming life on a remote planet is dramatically changed when he intercepts a distress call from rebel leader Princess Leia Organa… The message leads him to Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi and with the two droids C3PO and R2D2, and later Chewbacca and Han Solo, their journey to release the princess from the evil Empire begins…

Now a quarter of a century old, Lucas' project has benefited from improvements in special effects technology, but his vision has remained the same: a naive, even childlike belief in absolute good and evil, a preference for action over character and spectacle over everything…

a film that opened new doors

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
14 April 2007

It is a shame that not any other of George Lucas's films were as fun and inspiring as his unforgettable epic "Star Wars: A New Hope". It was a film that has since been spoofed and ripped-off in many forms of media. It has five sequels, and has many branch-off television series. And it is undeniably one of the most financially successful and definitely one of the better science-fiction films of this or any other age.

"Star Wars" has one of the most brilliantly constructed and detailed alternative reality settings ever. Literally everything in it makes the "galaxy" seem like a real place. Not only is there civilizations of humans, but civilizations of other creatures, and there are livestock and other creatures like in our world. Names such as droids, banthas, and wookiees work out. But I do feel that the "sandpeople" could've had a more compelling name. The concept of blasters and lightsabers were pure genius and the effects used on these weapons were state-of-the-art for their time. The props and CGI used for the other creatures, such as Chewbacca, may not be acceptable if "Star Wars" came out today, but were great for back then. Costume design was magnificent, especially the great details put into the villainous character of Darth Vader, who is perhaps the most memorable movie villain ever. Although he wouldn't really make his terror so profound and complete until the first sequel "The Empire Strikes Back." The concept of the Death Star is also a fine one.

But while "Star Wars" most certainly looks great in terms of detail and special effects, and even moreso on the entertainment level, there are some details that I have a really hard time accepting. Mostly, it's concerned with the screenplay. George Lucas is truly a great screenwriter when it comes to developing story, but when it comes to dialogue, he's not the best there is. Some of the dialogue in the film, mostly the lines spoken by Princess Leia, make me wince. For example her quote "I should have known it was you holding Vader's lease. I smelled your foul stench when I was brought onboard." What sensible person would even think of saying a line that dumb? I also personally felt that Luke Skywalker asked WAY too many questions and too many times. In the Tatooine part of the movie, he asks "Do you know what he's talking about?" numerous times, more than necessary. And all of the lines featuring the word "sandpeople" just seemed weakening to the script. The "sandpeople" were suppose to sound frightening, but they just sound pathetic.

Basically, the one and only thing that I have wrong with "Star Wars" is its dialogue sequences. And that is because George Lucas's weakness at writing is dialogue, which he freely admits to. But that does not make "Star Wars" a bad movie. Perhaps I was disappointed with it, but it's still a great movie to watch.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... was the greatest movie of all time.

Author: Tomius J. Barnard from United Kingdom
26 May 2005

Star Wars is the God of all movies. It is the greatest film to have ever been made, bar none. Nothing can be compared to it, nor should it be. It is definitive to our world, our society. It changed the way movies were made: for the better.

In the 1970s, there was little unknown director named George Lucas. Little did he know (dispite a nightmarish shoot), that his galactic space opera would literally change the way people lived, worked, played and thought. The secret behind his success? His imagination.

The script, the characters, the events, the locations, the humour, the opening, the ending... all perfect.

Of course, it's not the most well-shot movie of all time, but there's no denying that nobody actually cares. Star Wars has become a cult and a religion, and earned it's place in my heart as the greatest film to have ever been made...

...Millions will agree.

Whatever I say cannot reach the real truth behind Star Wars: just watch it and you'll know exactly what I mean.

The force will be with us, always.

Overall: A definitive masterpiece. Will never be forgotten, and will remain in the hearts of young and old for generations. Perfect. (10/10)

The Movie that changed the way we make and look at movies

Author: Steven Smith from United States
29 May 2005

This has been by far the greatest movie of all time. The special effects are very fantastic especially when the movie was made before I was even born, even Return of the Jedi was made 7 years before I was born, or should I say it was completed 7 years before I was born. It's like George Lucas who's the Director for all the Star Wars movies including Episode III- Revenge of the Sith, it's like he went back in time a long time ago and he traveled to a galaxy far, far away. I must say George Lucas, I am very impressed. This probably did all happen a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I just can't believe it, I mean how did he do it, this film is just ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE. George Lucas can make any kind of movie he wants. He can even make a movie about what happens far before Star Wars Episode I- The Phantom Menace and he can even make a movie about what happens far after Star Wars Episode VI- Return of the Jedi. So George Lucas I have been a huge fan of Star Wars since I saw Episode IV when I was 5 and I'll be honest, I didn't really understand the storyline because I was only 5. But I was just amazed on the Special Effects, it was incredible for it's time, 1977. And when I turned 7 my mother bought the Star Wars Trilogy Special Edition and it was even better with all new Advanced Digital Technology and I started to understand the storyline a lot better. And when I turned 14 I bought the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and it got much better with one of the best pictures I have ever seen in a movie. But the Number 1 thing I hated about the DVD was that in Return of the Jedi at the very end of the movie you see the ghosts of Obi-Wan Kenobi, Yoda and Anakin Skywalker. I hated the fact that in the DVD you replaced Anakin Skywalker's ghost with the Anakin Skywalker from Episode II and Episode III. You shouldn't have done that George. It's great you re-modified the Trilogy and all with new technology but don't destroy the plot, because not even Luke Skywalker is going to have no idea who that person is, and you didn't make Obi-Wan Kenobi look like Ewan McGregor so I don't see why you did that. George try to re-modify Return of the Jedi that way it was before, the face that Luke Skywalker saw him as when he took off that black mask and helmet that Anakin Skywalker needs to live. Alright. That's all I have to say.

A fun film

Author: gregmovies from United States
1 September 2008

Filled with great characters and a fun story, Star Wars is well deserving of its reputation as a classic. John Williams score alone makes this a film worth seeing. The characters are unforgettable and the special effects impressive for its time, but very outdated now. The different alien species are one of the best things about the film. The Cantina scene showing an array of Lucas' creations is particularly fun.

I give this film a 7/10. Looking at it subjectively, it isn't a really good film. A lot of clichés, bad dialogue, cracker jack philosophy, and unimpressive acting. Yet, for some reason, I find it hard to say anything bad about this movie. My favorite film as a child, and one I still enjoy, mostly for nostalgia.

One of the Most Overrated Movies of All Time

Author: Nick Lester from United States
15 June 2017

Why is the movie considered on of the best sci-fi movies of all time? It makes almost no sense from start to finish:

Vader kills one of the passengers, then says he wants the passengers alive.

The gun operators don't shoot down the escape pod just to be sure that no one is inside.

C-3PO and R2-D2 somehow survive atmospheric entry and walk away without a scratch after plummeting to the surface of Tatooine at a rapid speed.

Both droids end up in the same sand crawler despite leaving in opposite directions.

Luke finds R2-D2 on the vast, empty desert planet of Tatooine before the sand people do despite waiting until the next morning to start looking.

Luke walks away from getting hit by a club with spikes on it without a scratch or bruise of any kind.

Obi-Wan waits almost 20 years to give Luke his father's lightsaber instead of introducing it to him at a young age so he'd be more trained with the weapon by the time he's a teenager.

It wasn't explained until 2005 how Obi-Wan even got the lightsaber in the first place.

It's never explained why Obi-Wan didn't tell Luke about his relationship with Leia right after they viewed her message.

Why did the stormtroopers kill Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen instead of simply asking them if they had seen the two droids? There's no reason to believe they wouldn't have cooperated.

How did Han, Luke, and Obi-Wan know their way around the Death Star considering none of them had ever been on it before?

How did Obi-Wan know how to turn off the tractor beam?

How did the dianoga end up in the trash compactor and how has it survived up to this point?

Why did neither Obi-Wan nor Darth Vader use the Force during their duel? We know Obi-Wan has experience with the Force because he used a Jedi mind trick on a stormtrooper earlier, and we know Vader has experience with the Force because he nearly choked one of his military generals earlier, so what was holding them back?

How was Luke able to take out several TIE fighters despite having never operated the guns on the Millennium Falcon before?

After our heroes escape the Death Star, it's revealed that Vader wanted them to escape the whole time so they could track their ship back to their secret headquarters. But, if that was the case, then why did the stormtroopers and TIE fighters bother firing on them at all and risk killing them?

How does Luke master flying an X-wing so quickly?

How is Luke able to use the Force to destroy the Death Star? The only Force training he had was a very brief introduction to the general concept with Obi-Wan, so it almost certainly wasn't enough to instantly master it on his first try.

Han Solo ex-Machina's Luke out of trouble during the assault on the Death Star despite not knowing which X-wing Luke was in (or if he was still alive). Also, how did Han and the Resistance get on the same radio frequency to allow communication with other ships?

What was the point of the medal-giving scene at the end? Those medals are never seen again in any of the other movies. That scene could've been cut from the movie entirely and nothing would've been lost.

Not mention that C-3PO is ANNOYING AF and contributes almost nothing to the story...

...Or that Luke is a whiny brat throughout most of the movie...

...Or that Leia literally sits on the sidelines the whole time while the men do all the work (casually sat in the pilot's seat during the attack by TIE fighters after escaping the Death Star and casually stood over a monitor while Han and Luke destroyed the Death Star)...

...Or the fact that the lightsaber fight between Obi-Wan and Vader was so poorly choreographed, it looked like a third-grader created it...

This movie may have been good for its time but doesn't hold up today NEARLY as well as most people think. I like The Force Awakens more than this because it had better acting, better action, more impressive special FX, a female lead that isn't on the sidelines the whole movie, an ending that isn't pointless, a better droid (BB-8), and fewer plot holes.

And before anyone says, "But The Force Awakens is just A New Hope on repeat!"

The Lion King is just Hamlet on repeat... Avatar is just Pocahontas on repeat... All 3 of Sam Raimi's Spider-Man movies stole their plot from each other... A Bug's Life stole its plot from Antz... X-Men: Days of Future Past stole its plot from Terminator 2... Big Hero 6 stole its plot from X-Men: First Class... The Incredibles stole its plot from The Lost World: Jurassic Park... Man of Steel stole its plot from The Bible... The Dark Knight Rises stole its plot from Hook... Moana stole its plot from Hercules (1997)... Captain America: Civil War stole its plot from Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice... Finding Nemo stole its plot from Toy Story 2... Ant-Man stole its plot from Iron Man... Toy Story 3 stole its plot from Child's Play 2... The Terminator stole its plot from Halloween (1978)... Inside Out (2015) stole its plot from Osmosis Jones...

That's not an excuse. Just because you were first doesn't mean you're better...TFA > ANH

Star Wars: The iconic world changer!

Author: Marco Verbeek from Netherlands
9 October 2013

It is now 36 years after this movie hit theaters, but it is not too late to write a review! This movie will and already is in the history books as the movie that changed the world! Star Wars, created by George Lucas, is the most iconic, awesome, epic and action-packed space opera ever made. This movie contains everything you want to see in a movie, for example: action, adventure, mystery, humor, emotion and, above all, creativity. The great visual and imaginative mind of George Lucas made it possible for other filmmakers to get from realistic movies to a generation of movies containing imagination and fantasy.

The beginning of the movie is so perfectly written and makes it almost impossible for people not to like it. Firstly, the title scrawl. Although this scrawl was the same as the Flash Gordon series, in Star Wars this iconic and epic beginning was made great by the extraordinary music by John Williams. The music he composed made this movie what it is today and what it was then. His epic score for this movie was deservedly rewarded with an Academy Award.

This great creation by George Lucas has influenced me, the American population and the rest of the world completely!!!

The opening installment of the greatest trilogy in cinematic history...

Author: MovieGuy from Boston, MA
25 May 2005

Truly a landmark film. When it came out, there had never been anything like it before, and it truly caused quite a stir. I would contend that it is not as good as its sequel, Empire Strikes Back; but it is still a great movie. There is humor, action, and some heartfelt moments. It is also our introduction to some great characters that people will never forget - Chewbacca, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Luke Skywalker, Obi Wan Kenobi...and of course everyone's favorite villain, Darth Vader. Alec Guinness really is outstanding in this movie. His role as Luke's first mentor is understated and believable...his somewhat tired attitude in retrospect seems very understandable after watching the prequels - after all he's been through, it is very believable when he tells Luke, "I'm getting to old for this sort of thing." The visual effects are not only groundbreaking, but they still hold up very well even in this CGI-effects laden era. I would contend that ILM's use of modeling and lighting in the old films actually lends a more believable look to the action scenes than the prequels' use of video-game style battles and sensory overload. There is great chemistry between the actor's - and while Luke is a bit annoying, the back and forth of Han and Chewbacca, and C-3PO and R2-D2, as well as Leia's chemistry with Han and Luke, make this movie extremely entertaining on an emotional level - it also makes you care about the characters. Let us compare the lightsaber duel of this movie with that from Phantom Menace. Although the acrobatics and sheer fury of the duel just are not there in A New Hope, we actually feel something when Obi-Wan allows Vader to strike him down. Conversely, when Qui-Gon Jinn is slain, there is not the same (if any) feeling after it is done. Well, I'm rambling now. But this movie has it all. Space battles, lightsaber duels (a la Samurai flicks), chase sequences, thinly veiled references to the Western genre in the Canteen on Tatooine. A Truly great adventure that, as it ended, was really just beginning.

The worst movie (by far) in an otherwise great series

Author: JediFake
15 May 2017

- The Force Awakens: 10/10; - Rogue One: 9/10; - A New Hope: 4/10; - Empire Strikes Back: 8.5/10 - Return of the Jedi: 7.5/10; - Phantom Menace: 5/10; - Attack of the Clones: 6/10; - Revenge of the Sith: 7.5/10

You're welcome X )

A milestone in film-making- a superlative sci-fi movie

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
22 November 2009

I couldn't have asked for anything more. Star Wars: A New Hope had it all. If I had to sum it up in one word, superlative would be my answer. I saw the film for the first time three months ago and loved it, and since then I have watched all the Star Wars movies. I was disappointed with the prequels (Attack of the Clones was my least favourite), but this, Return of the Jedi and Empire Strikes Back were perfection.

I have to say that the film looks absolutely amazing even after thirty plus years, with highly imaginative sets and dazzling special effects. And the action sequences were superbly choreographed and brisk, the Death Star climax was a knockout. The music by John Williams is absolutely outstanding, by far one of his more exciting and rousing scores. The story is fast-paced, intelligent and has an essence of sophistication, and the screenplay is sharp and decisive.

And the performances were flawless. In the prequels I had problems relating to some of the performers, namely Hayden Christensen as Anakin. Here, all the actors played their parts with superlative skill. Alec Guiness, one fine actor and will be sorely missed was a standout, likewise with Peter Cushing and Harrison Ford(hilarious here). Carrie Fisher was a fine Princess Leia, spunky, beautiful and sexy, and Mark Hamill was a completely likable Luke. And the villain Darth Vader, without doubt one of the best and in-depth villains in cinematic history, and James Earl Jones's deep booming voice was perfect for the character.

All in all, a definite sci-fi classic, that blew me away. 10/10 Bethany Cox