IMDb > Smokey and the Bandit (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Smokey and the Bandit

Smokey and the Bandit More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Burt Reynold's best movie (and Sally Field doesn't hurt)

Author: William (wmattifo) from Lubbock, TX
23 September 2002

This is Burt's best movie because he lets other people be funny. The jokes work as Burt plays straight man to both Sally Field and Jerry Reed. Jackie Gleason did so many great things in his career (that's why he was called "The Great One"), but this may have been his funniest movie role. He's great as the Sheriff (of Texarkana, TX) who thinks he outranks every law enforcement official in America. The music is also outstanding. This movie looks like it was fun to make and it sure is fun to watch. It's an American classic.

Funny and hilarous, one of the best movies of all time!

Author: Jman4ever from Norwalk Ohio
12 September 2002

Smokey And The Bandit is a great movie. The movie starts out with the famous Burdette brothers (Little and Big Enos) betting the famous Bo " "Bandit" Darville (along with Cletus Snow) to go from Georgia to Texarkana, Texas to hall Coors in Cletus' semi and back to Georgia in less then 28 hours, but there is a catch... they call it bootleggin' and that is illegal!

That starts out one of the greatest movies of all times. But there is some terrible editing problems to it that they forget to edit out. But other all the whole movie was funny. I think that Jackie Gleason (Bufford T. Justice) was the funniest thing of the whole movie. But I warn you to avoid the other two sequels because THEY COMPLETELY SUCK!

From the Jman to everyone else out there have a nice day!

Doin what they say can't be done...

Author: Thomas Connors Jr. from Wisconsin
14 June 2002

Smokey and the Bandit is one of those films that defines a generation, and along with films like, Jaws, Star Wars, and Superman changed the way we not only went to see films, but the way they were made and marketed.

Although when someone talks about the said films, they'd probably leave out Smokey and the Bandit, because the film does date itself, and, although it's not Smokey's fault, hundreds of copies and retreds have ruined this film for anyone who wants to enjoy it's original humor and style. By now, everyone has been bombarded with the same action, stunts, and gags that made Smokey and the Bandit a "Blockbuster", in 1977.

Even through the muck of mimics and sequals this films stands alone as the crowning jewel, and should be cherished among the greats. Sure it's no Citizen Kane, but it's a damn good time, a hell of a rush, and the Jerry Reed soundtrack was the perfect backbeat. I rate the film a 10, and deservedly so.

For the time, this was just perfect!

Author: Timothy Campbell from Toronto, Ontario
15 April 2002

I rated this movie as a "9". Yes, I know it wasn't insightful, and it didn't open up new vistas to me. However, it was a wonderful reflection of the time.

I fondly remember the CB radio craze of the 70's. I was very into that. I also enjoy tearing around in fast cars. (Actually, I had my CB radio installed in a motorcycle, but the idea is the same.)

"Smokey and the Bandit" will stand the test of time, because it is a snapshot of the 70's. Yes, it is silly and inane, but it wonderfully captures the spirit of that decade. There's no deep philosophy, here, but it is a glorious romp. The movie doesn't try to teach us anything about the human condition, but it does seek to entertain. In that respect, it succeeds very well.

Every movie has a goal. In some cases, the movie tries to enlighten us. However, this movie sought merely to take us away from our mundane lives for a while. It accomplished that very well indeed.

Has it been twenty five years?

Author: The Ebullient One from Terra
12 April 2002

I was surprised how low the ratings were for this movie; it's almost forgotten how big a sensation this one was when it came out, and in some areas of the country (such as the rural South) I think it was more popular than Star Wars.

This movie may claim credit to starting the zillions of cop cars crashing everywhere comedies that were the trend in the late seventies and early eighties. I remember seeing it as a wee kid and except for a small romantic interlude near the middle where it went -thud- it was a non-stop fun ride that I didn't want to end. (I didn't think I was the only one who expected the sequel to take off right where this one ended.)

It still is enjoyable, albeit if dated to late seventies Americana and it all ends way too soon. Compared to modern "comedies" which either seem exercises in gross out humor or just plain stupidity, "Smokey and the Bandit" is one of those movies that will probably still be funny in another twenty five years.

A Lot Of Fun

Author: subcityii from Noth Hollywood, CA
8 April 2002

I think there is very little I can add here to what has been already been written about this film but I will try. I first saw this film when it opened in Colorado where I was born and raised. I saw it in a theater with a teenage buddy of mine from junior high. We really enjoyed this movie because, even at that age, we realized it was nothing more than harmless fun. The perfect 1970's Saturday night or Sunday afternoon good-time down-home movie.

Both Sally Field and Burt Reynolds were on the Bravo series "Inside The Actor's Studio" in separate episodes and they both had interesting comments about the making of this movie twenty plus years later. Sally Field said that they were forced to improvise a lot of their lines because they had "no script." Reynolds said that Alfred Hitchock had the movie screened over and over. Reynolds said he spoke to Pat, the great director's daughter about this and she said Hitch loved the movie because he could see the people making it loved each other and that they were having the time of their lives.

This film has its roots in the type of low-budget movies being made in the 1970's. With the success of films like "Easy Rider," "Bonnie and Clyde" and "Bullitt" in the late 1960's, Hollywood was eager to make chase movies that featured "anti-heroes." Characters that were either breaking the law or enforcing the law outside of established procedures but you still rooted for them anyway. Couple this with the popularity of CB radios and truck driving slang and you have movies like "Vanishing Point," "Thunderbolt and Lightfoot," "Convoy," "Dirty Mary and Crazy Larry," "Sugarland Express," "Breaker, Breaker" and this one. I still marvel at how I know practically every funny scene in the movie but I still laugh like I was a Colorado teenager all over again. Maybe I see some of the qualities Hitchcock saw in it.

Fun Movie!

Author: William A Cook (DeeWee2002k@yahoo.com) from Monroe Wa. USA
2 April 2002

If you like trucks then this is your movie!I've seen a lot of truck movies,and I have to admit that this was the most fun.I do find that Convoy(1978)was a little more realistic when it came to the trucking part,but a good movie all and all.I own a couple of trucks myself and I think seeing this movie as a kid got me interested in trucks.Jerry Reed is great,I wish we would see more of him these days.This movie also has a lot of cool car chases."Ten four good Buddy"

A good craic

Author: (jolliet@gmx.de) from Germany
28 March 2002

A wonderful movie for boring afternoons. See it with some friends, have some beers, relax and enjoy!

"go bandit...Reynolds style"

Author: (billybrown41@hotmail.com) from Kimberling City, MO.
3 March 2002

Okay, it's kinda weird that I'm finally writing a review for this one. First thing, this is the FIRST movie I ever remember watching and second, I reviewed Part 3 before I reviewed this one. I'm not even bothering with the Second one.

Anyway, here I sit, bored out of my mind, and mad as hell at the snow on the ground, but I can't help that. I have "Panama Red", by the New Riders of the Purple Sage blaring through my speakers right now and it's setting the perfect mood to write a review on a movie that came out during the same era as that classic song. Here goes nothing...

Smokey and the Bandit, as many of you already know, was filmed during Burt's big hey-day, and to the film-maker's (and Burt's) surprise became a smash-hit when it was released only in the south, during the same year as Star Wars. By the end of 1977, after the movie was released nation-wide, (depending on who you believe) only Star Wars had grossed more than the red-neck action/comedy. It was released among a whole slew of films of the same genre, but "Smokey" stood out due to it's talented cast, funny dialogue, and well-done action sequences. Rumor also has it that this was Alfred Hitchcock's favorite movie. I'm not sure but I wish he were still around to say so.

The premise works WAY better than it should. Here it is: A bored pair of millionaires (father and son, in this case), the Enises, get wind of a hot-shot truck driver and think that it will make for some good laughs to challenge this guy (the bandit) to a little game of "transporting 400 cases of Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta in 28 hours." Oh, and that's "round-trip" I might add. What's in it for the Bandit? Well, $80,000 if he wins. That's what. Just what he needs for buying a new rig. Now, having a little more than his share of self-confidence (and ego), the Bandit accepts and even dupes the two into putting up more money so he can buy a sports car to block for the big-rig. So the Bandit rounds up his good buddy "Snowman" to drive the truck while he leads the way in a brand spankin-new Trans Am. Let the games begin...

Getting to Texarkana and picking up the beer is a breeze. It's on the trip back that the Bandit picks up a runaway bride (Sally Field) and catches the attention of yet another father and son duo. This time, it's THE SHERRIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE and his bumbling idiot son "junior". This is where things shift from light-hearted fare, to laugh-out-loud hilarious. What I think makes it so funny is Jackie Gleason's portryal of a red-neck sherrif that is so cock-sure of himself that he doesn't even realize that he's a legend only in his own mind. Did I mention that he treats his son (a grown man who appears to be in his 30s) like a seven year old kid? As a result, junior ACTS just like a seven year-old kid with a mental deficiancy. Also, I might want to mention that the previously mentioned "runaway bride" was the bride-to-be of the unfortunate junior. So, with that said, Sheriff Justice has not one, but two reasons for apprehending the Bandit.

That is the set-up right there. And it works. This type of movie was common back in the day, but this one stands above them all. It's a little bit glossier and you can tell that the budget was a little higher than say, that of "The Great Smokey Roadblock", which I found horrible. All of the characters (even the sheriff) are likeable and the music is fun and upbeat. I can honestly say that this movie never wears out it's welcome because I've seen it more than any other movie. Having Jerry Reed as the Snowman is just fun times. The guy is truly a great actor and you'll wonder why he never did more movies. He's got a fun screen prescence (Just check out the Waterboy) and his delivery of the lines is dead-on.

If you haven't seen this movie (have you been living under a rock?) please do. I'm somewhat of a fanatic about this one. Hell, in high school, I even wrote a persuasive essay to my English teacher, trying to get her to let the class watch this movie...don't ask.

Even if you're not a fan of the genre, I'm sure that you will enjoy it. I don't know ANYONE who doesn't like this one. It's definitly one of Burt's best. So break out the bell-bottoms and the checkered western shirts, crack open a coors, and pop this in the VCR. WAHOO!!!

Ah, the 70s

Author: XRANDY (RANDYANDJANELL@JOBE.NET) from Korea
16 December 2001

(Minor spoilers)

If you like a frothy 70s song like "The Streak", you'll surely enjoy this mix of bonhomie and highway hijinks. Though the movie depends largely on the persona that is Burt Reynolds, (who can not only drive like AJ Foyt but can stop for some off-road coitus to boot) Field, Reed and of course Jackie Gleason (truly in his metier) are all enjoyable to watch. It is a humourous, unfettered affair that plays on our own venial habit of speeding (and the game that speeding and tickets really is--hey I'm a cop I know!). One of my greatest laughs as a child is still the picture of Sheriff Buford T. Justice walking out of that restroom with the trail of toilet paper following.