IMDb > Smokey and the Bandit (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Smokey and the Bandit

Smokey and the Bandit More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 17: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Burt's 'Gabby Hayes' impression

Author: tynesider from Tyneside, United Kingdom
4 April 2012

This is a very entertaining picture despite (or maybe because of) the simple plot. The two stars Burt Reynolds and Sally Field blend well together and they gradually fall for each other on the long trip from Texas to Georgia being pursued by dogged Sheriff Jackie Gleason. I haven't read all the reviews for this film but has anyone else spotted the following: About 69 minutes into the film Burt Reynolds does a George 'Gabby' Hayes impression. Driving along with Sally Fields he twists his face in the manner used by the real Gabby when he was about to speak and says the line 'Are yuh ready Roy?' Sally Field replies 'I was born ready.' This dialogue is probably inspired by Gabby Hayes' appearances in many Roy Rogers pictures.

Kinda unrealistic but packed with humor and entertainment

Author: le-dux
22 January 2012

I liked the movie. It's very original and I find it very entertaining. I didn't see any bad acting in it. Everyone were in their role in exactly the right way they should be.

I found a lot of original humor, like when Sheriff Justice loose the roof of his patrol car and his son must hold the hat for him while he drives.

Although it's a bit unrealistic, it's still a good movie because producers have a good sense for humor. It's a 1977 film which requires you to get back in time a little bit to get everything right.

If you like cars, chasing and good laugh, this is a good choice.

Extremely silly . . . and a whole lot of fun!

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
3 January 2012

As Nick "Ron Swanson" Offerman describes it, the Pontiac Trans Am is "the most throbbing boner of a vehicle you could have". And I don't think there's a better showcase for this wicked beast than "Smokey and the Bandit". Oh sure, the movie might bill Burt Reynolds and Jackie Gleason first, but that hot rod is the real star of this thing; jumping bridges, sailing into football fields and tearing asphalt across the South. GM couldn't ask for a better commercial.

Which isn't to say the sweet ride is the movie's only lasting quality. No, that's simply the icing on the cake. This stands the test of time primarily for its southern charm and enthusiasm; the kind of movie that you hang in with 'til the end whenever it's on TV (as CMT's ratings can attest). A breezy chase movie with a likable cast, or irascible in the case of Gleason. This is a thoroughly entertaining flick, and a not-at-all guilty pleasure.

Without Jackie this would've never worked

Author: thekyles99 from Canada
15 December 2010

It was time for my annual Sheriff Buford T. Justice dose! Thought i would jump on here and actually review a few of the oldie but goodies as i re watch them. What can't I say about this film? One of the best 70's Trucker themed movies of all time, a movie that actually gets me in the mood to listen to Jerry Reed's CD's, or country music in general for that fact, and last but not least the ever so excellent Jackie Gleason as the aforementioned sheriff. The movie in a whole was funny however its Buford's scenes with his son junior, that after all these years still provides me with that" I cant breathe " laugh. For the youngsters who have never heard of this let alone seen it in any form or capability, such as my 10 year old son...who mind you had to be coaxed with the "humour me" or the "do it for dad" pleas. He did seem to like the scene where Snowman after getting the crap kicked out of him at the bar repays them before leaving by running over their motorcycles, however is in a way different genre then i was a kid...oh well whatta you gonna do? A great classic in my books!

It Just Clicks

Author: qormi from United States
7 December 2010

Smokey and the Bandit is a lighthearted and funny movie that doesn't take itself seriously - and that's its genius. Jackie Gleason nearly steals the show from Burt as the stereotypical southern sheriff. Mike Henry is brilliantly cast as his dimwitted son. Henry, who can out macho Reynolds any day, deserved a better career than he got, but that's another story. Sally Field had a lot of chemistry with Reynolds. They hit it off in real life and had quite a fling together for awhile. The Trans Am scenes where they zip around the southern backroads and do some stunts were awe inspiring. Jerry Reed as Reynolds' sidekick had a lot of charisma as the dumb redneck country boy trucker. Who cares if he never got pulled over doing 90 mph in an 18-wheeler? That's Hollywood. TYhe revenge he got on the bikers was very memorable. Break out the popcorn - it's a great ride.

A bit to much Bandit, needed more Smokey.

Author: Aaron1375
16 August 2010

This film was a bit better than "The Cannonball Run", but it is certainly in the same vein. Better in the fact it had more of a plot, though really not by to much. The thing that probably makes it stand out more than Cannonball is the Character of Justice played by the late Jackie Gleason who during the time of this movie was more of a television type star rather than a movie star and Mike Henry as Justice's son, Junior. These two characters were very funny, providing the biggest laughs in the film. Also funny in this one is Big and Little Enos, especially Paul Williams as Little. His exchanges with the Bandit are just great. They would be featured more in the second film which was good, but I hear they were overused in the third installment, however I have never seen that particular film. This one has Big and Little Enos needed The Snowman and the Bandit to get some beer across some state borders cause they are really thirsty. The Snowman drives a rig and is transporting said beer while the Bandit drives a Trans Am to try to get the police to focus on him rather than the speeding trucker. Well a woman is getting married, and has second thoughts thus flees the wedding of Junior whose father is a sheriff thus the feud between he and the Bandit begins. Lots of stunt driving and jokes involving the destruction of the sheriff's car ensue. So do the laughs for the most part and unlike part two we do not have to worry about Bandit blowing the bet because he has feelings for an elephant.

Crucial Americana

Author: tpaladino from United States
14 February 2010

Regardless of what you think of the premise of the film itself, or the actors and its story line, I believe that this film does stand on its own as a truly important piece of Americana, every bit as significant as any of Norman Rockwell's work.

It is a snapshot (albeit an idealized one) of a simpler life in America. One of a lovable outlaw folk hero and small town sheriff and county fairs and bygone car culture and life on the open road. Its a simple story to be sure, but that is the charm.

As for the film itself, its of course not going to win any Oscars. The acting isn't exactly fantastic in a lot of the scenes, and nothing really groundbreaking was happening there. But the characters were developed beautifully and you genuinely care about them and their adventure.

Its worthwhile viewing for sure.

The way movies should be made today

Author: AleaClint from United States
10 September 2009

I'll never forget the first time I watched the tail end of the movie and I actually quite liked it, then a couple of months later I taped it on the KSTW channel (cable station is located in Tacoma, WA) and they got rid of that channel sometime around 1994 or 95 which was kind of unfortunate cause I grew up on that channel and that channel will always take me back to the golden days of my childhood. The movie begins as the Bandit (Burt Reynolds) takes a $80,000 bet to see whether he can haul off about 600 cases of beer from Texarkana, Texas to somewhere in Georgia within' 18 hours and he brings his buddy Cledus (Jerry Reed) to drive the semi truck so he can haul off the beer while the cops (better known as the Smokey's) can concentrate on just the Bandit and the Bandit buys a brand new Trans Am, then he meets up with a runaway bride (Sally Field) and Buford T. Justice (Jackie Gleason) is on their tail cause she ditch Buford's dimwitted son Junior and boy wouldn't it be funny if every cop was as dumb as Junior? There are some other great moments throughout the film like Buford driving through a pole and the top of the car comes on, or when the police cars collided into each other and a trucker crashes into the open door of Buford's car and he gets all angry, if you like high speed chase movies or fast cars then you'll like Smokey and the Bandit, I wouldn't recommend watching the sequels unless if you really enjoyed watching this movie and they don't come close to how good this movie is although I do kind of like watching Smokey and the Bandit 3, if you're on a budget then I would get the Smokey and the Bandit pursuit pack which generally costs around $17-$20 and it's less expensive than buying Smokey and the Bandit 1 and 2 separately.

Smokey and the Bandit

Author: mrtroll2006 from United States
24 June 2006

I really really love this movie even though it came out 4 years before I was even born. This movie to me symbolizes simple America on top of being funny and exciting.

The good ole boys Bandit (Reynolds) and Snow (Reed) must deliver a truckload of beer across several states...Beer...mmm...could there be a more better cause..*drools*...mmmmm beer. Err,never mind on to other things,lol. Carrie "Frog" ditches a wedding to the ever so dumb junior and who can blame her. Sure he's curer,I suppose to a females perspective,but he doesn't got smarts,charm,manners...so she ditches his ass at the alter,runs in front of the trans am gets picked up and the fun really begins.

I cannot really say anything terribly bad about the film,sure it didn't have the greatest plot but the actors and action makes you forget all about the simple plot. Burt Reynolds was awesome and again a females point of view he was gorgeous. Sally Field was always funny. Reed was I have to admit surprisingly good and he sung some classic songs which after being introduced to the film years ago on VHS am a fan of his music.

This film is great,a must see.

a true classic

Author: electlgy from United States
22 May 2006

truly a classic,one of my five favorite movies.i watch it every time comes on the air.i was in high school when the movie first came out.Coors beer was the beer everyone i went to school liked,i once forgot a term paper for school i was able to bribe a friend to take me home at lunch with a promise that i would give him some Coors beer.as a senior i got to drive a black trans am complete with t-tops,the shaker hood and the big bird on the hood, to school for a while cause my parents owned two car dealerships,when you have a car dealership you all ways get trade in's this car was a trade in sometime before or after Christmas.