Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) Poster

Ray Harryhausen at his very best
wvcruffler13 February 2005
When I saw this in the theater as a 7 or 8 year old kid, I cried when it finished. It was by far the most captivating movie I had ever seen. I liked it better than Star Wars. The unbelievable stop-motion effects of Harryhausen still look great, even when compared to CGI. Things have not improved much. And Jane Seymore in the belly-dancer outfit! Good Lord! You must see this movie to believe it! The gold minotaur rowing the boat and the fight between the troglodyte and the saber-toothed tiger at the end stand out in my mind so strongly when I think of this movie.Get a copy of this movie, Jason and the Argonauts, and then Clash of the Titans and you have a fantastic Saturday afternoon of movie watching.
34 out of 38 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Really cheesy but lots of fun
Marta7 February 1999
This is one of my guilty pleasures; everyone makes fun of me because I love this movie. Ray Harryhausen has been panned over this film, but I think he did a fantastic job. It's inventive and eye-catching, and the Minoton is a marvel.

Patrick Wayne is strong-jawed and stalwart as Sinbad, but Jane Seymour, as the princess, obviously hadn't done much acting yet when she made this film. She's really bad in the role of Sinbad's love interest. She beat Bo Derek by 4 years in starting the cornrow hairstyle, and most of her hairdos in this movie are more interesting than her acting. The biggest hoot in the movie is Margaret Whiting as the evil Queen. She's got an accent that won't quit, but as the film goes on that accent begins to fascinate the viewer; she's a really good actress, which surprised me. Even when she turns herself into a seagull.

It's the outlandish creatures, scenes, and settings that a Harryhausen movie always has that are its great charms, and this film is one of the most inventive of his career. Don't expect rocket science when you watch this, just expect to be royally entertained. The new Twilight Time Blu-ray release (December 2013) of the film is a wonder and highly recommended, but hurry and order it today...there are only 3,000 copies available.
22 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
DVD release is a gem for Harryhausen fans
midnightrane29 December 2001
Okay, so the film isn't a masterpiece for anyone involved, but the DVD is worth the price for Harryhausen fans. I won't reiterate a fairly lame plot but to say that a prince is morphed into a baboon and Sinbad must find a way to correct this untimely development in order to repay a friend and win the hand of the lovely Jane Seymour. All in all, the film turns out to be rather entertaining once Patrick Troughton makes it on-screen to flesh-out the dialogue. Overshadowing the movie's multiple shortcomings, however, is the always inspiring stop-motion work of Ray Harryhausen. The Trog and sabre-tooth are two fine creations and while we don't see anything on par with the 7 skeletons in "Jason & the Argonauts" or Medusa from "Clash of the Titans" there are some great moments with other creatures. While to be treasured as one of Harryhausen's last films the DVD also includes the added bonus of "The Ray Harryhausen Chronicles", an in-depth documentary narrated by Leonard Nimoy featuring a bio and interviews with today's FX masters. This and other features combine to make an otherwise average fantasy/adventure film worth a look--if you're a Harryhausen fan and you've got a DVD player. For all the extra features, I'll give the DVD a 6/10.
27 out of 31 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
7/10 ~ 4/5 ~ Imperfectly Wonderful Ray Harryhausen Fantasy Fun.
Doctor_Mabuse10 March 2005
Sinbad the Sailor voyages to the mythic northern realm of Hyperborea to restore a caliph from an evil witch's transformation.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger, the follow-up to the classics The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, is an uneven conclusion to Ray Harryhausen's celebrated "Sinbad Trilogy". The troubled production began with a draggy script, budgetary restrictions and an inexperienced director; the film as released suffers from choppy editing, over-length and routine music scoring. One animation highlight (the giant walrus) is obscured by an optical snowstorm. The attractive cast performs listlessly and the villain is campy rather than truly menacing, although former "Doctor Who" Patrick Troughton is delightful as a befuddled wizard.

Yet, for all its flaws, Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger remains an entertaining escapade in the old-fashioned Saturday-Matinée tradition. Costuming and settings are colorful and the film looks handsome in widescreen. The quest for the mystical Shrine of the Four Elements has a particularly epic quality with the usual eclectic blend of mythical elements set against the backdrop of the Arabian Nights.

Most importantly, Harryhausen's realistic stop-motion animation is as extraordinary as ever, with two of the animated-puppet creatures -- Kassim the Baboon and Trog the Troglodyte -- successfully functioning as actual communicative characters within the body of the story. Other wonders include insectoid demons, an over-sized mosquito, Minaton the Brass Minotaur and the saber-tooth tiger of the title.

Genuine movie fantasy is a rare commodity, and Ray Harryhausen's vision and conviction shine through the circumstances of production to make this a satisfying final visit to the land beyond Beyond.
16 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
For children when wonder and Imagination were still in vogue!
lambiepie-228 June 2003
(Minor Spoilers)

Let's be honest and a tad realistic about this film, shall we?

By TODAY'S standards, this is a "cheesy" kinda film compared to what technology we've got. And I think at the time of this release we had gotten "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "Star Wars" so our expectation levels were running higher for "special effects" and "whimsy" than this.

But I still can get entertainment out of this film.

By remembering how old I was when I saw it and WHOM I was with when I saw it. My family.

I was a child. This film wasn't in my all time top ten, but it It was one of those movies local channels threw on Sunday afternoon before or after a televised ball game..or when a ball game was rained out. Come on, admit remember!

And that's the point. This film's special effects were nice..not spectacular..not even up to Ray Harryhausen's standards, but the Harryhausen mark was there which made it entertaining (Admit it, you LOVED the walrus scene!! How 'bout that Cyclops?!?! As a child this was all good! You remember!!).

For very young girls, this Sinbad was REALLY nice to look at back then. For the very young guys, so was Miss Jane Seymour and Miss Taryn Power. Then there was the story which was kinda fun, the adventure which was kinda whimsical and the happy ending where the bad guys got theirs'.

This was done at a time of assuming children would love this kinda stuff. Back then, more would have. Now, most children don't even think "Spy Kids" can give them a buzz.

This movie is about childhood and remembering what it was like to have an imagination and watch a story unfold for nothing but the sheer enjoyment of it...the fun of eating "Good 'n' Plenty", "Snowcaps", "Malted Milk Balls" and Popcorn without thinking about calorie content to make this even more fun to watch...and the "eye candy" of Wayne, Seymour and Power help a so-so story that's really better than a lot of stuff I've seen today that they charge ya $10 a ticket for! Parents may not have liked it as much as the children but that too is part of the fun!

Have a heart when watching this. Watch this as a "fun" remembering when families watched shows together (..or in my case my dad mumbling under his breath about how the game was due on and he had to sit through this 'crap' first!), the pre-teen tingles of watching a handsome Wayne, young Seymour and/or Power (...ya know...before having breast implants and weighing 95 pounds was mandatory in Hollywood for women to do this kind of film work?!?) and telling your parents you were REALLY interested in the story...really.

Maybe I've got a more "nostalgic" view about this film..its because I'm not looking for academy award winning material with this kind of film, but it does its job of...entertaining...and if you have children and want them to be children for a tad longer, this may be the film fare for them. Or just for you, if you want to curl up with some popcorn and remember "the good old movie fluff days" where special effects were done by hand and stop motion photography by the "grand-daddy" of the genre and a Sinbad movie where Sinbad actually looked like you might imagined him to look like back then and evil characters who were evil and got theirs....pretty much simplified.

Open your mind and when you have a moment...enjoy. Don't take it seriously just sit back... watch...and HAVE FUN..with your children, as a family.
32 out of 41 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Excellent third and final Sinbad movie from Ray Harryhausen
Chris Gaskin9 February 2005
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger was the third and final Sinbad movie with Ray Harryhausen creatures.

In this one, a prince is turned into a stop-motion baboon and Sinbad and crew go on an expedition to Ademaspai to restore him back to human form. They face plenty of dangers on the way including several giant creatures, some of them prehistoric (more on those later). He is being followed by an evil witch with magic powers, Zenobia, along with her son and a stop-motion metal creature, Minoton. On one occasion, she turns herself into a seagull to spy on Sinbad and on return to her ship as she transforms back, she is left with a webbed foot as she has ran out of potion. She is defeated at the end in the form of a Sabre-toothed Tiger and the prince is restored back to human form.

Now to those creatures: we start with a trio of ghouls and other creatures include a giant wasp, a giant walrus, a Troglodite and the above mentioned Sabre-toothed tiger. The other two stop-motion creatures, Minoton and the baboon appear throughout the movie. All of them look impressive, thanks to Ray Harryhausen.

Sinbad is played well by the Duke's son Patrick Wayne (The People That Time Forgot) and the rest of the cast includes Dr Who actor Patrick Troughton, Bond girl Jane Seymour (Live and Let Die), Taryn Power, Margaret Whiting as Zenobi and Nadim Sawalha.

Though not as good as the first Sinbad movie, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, I still enjoyed watching this one. Excellent.

Rating: 4 stars out of 5.
15 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Weak in some ways, but strength wins
Neil Welch1 March 2011
Harryhausen's crop of creations in this third and final entry in the Sinbad "series" are, perhaps the least effective of all of them (I think feathers and fur don't help), yet this film is maybe the strongest of them all in terms of story, character and emotion.

And, while the creatures themselves may not be as effective as some, they are beautifully animated and, as usual, flawlessly integrated into the background plates. Plus both the baboon and Trog give performances of enormous emotional subtlety when you consider that they are essentially no more than rubber mouldings over a metal skeleton. There is no doubt that their creator is an artist of the highest order in a field where artists simply aren't recognised.
5 out of 5 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful adventure filmed in Spain where Sinbad seeks to restore a prince from monkey spell to which an evil witch has reduced him
ma-cortes22 May 2012
Loose retelling of the ¨ 1001 Arabian nights¨ , based on ancient legends , deals with Sinbad The Sailor (Patrick Wayne) sails to deliver a cursed prince Kassin (Damien Thomas) to a dangerous island in the face of deadly opposition from a powerful witch (Margaret Whiting) . In the mysterious land Hyperboria Sinbad along with a sorcerer (Patrick Troughton) and his crew encounter magical and mystical creatures .

This exciting picture contains swashbuckling , magic , fast-moving plot , thrills , impressive fights among monsters and lots of fun . It is an exciting fantasy-adventure full of special effects created by means of stop-motion technique by the magician Ray Harryhausen . The runtime is adequate with various incidents and sub-plots . Harryhausen works his animation magic around a passable-developed screenplay and engaging acting by the entire performers . The cast is enjoyable with sons of famous actors as Patrick Wayne and Taryn Power and a gorgeous and very young Jane Seymour . Agreeable film but hamhanded and confusing if you seek the hidden plot . Ray can once again claim credit for the unusual and marvelous mythical creatures springing to life , such as Smilodon , Troglodite , Mandril , an enormous mosquito , a giant Morse and many others . The picture belongs a trilogy , produced by Ray Harryhausen and Charles H. Schneer , along with ¨The seventh voyage of Simbad¨ (1958) by Nathan Juran with Kerwin Matthews and Kathryn Grant and ¨Golden voyage of Simbad¨ (1973) by Gordon Hessler with John Philip Law , Tom Baker and Caroline Munro . Great and rousing musical score by Roy Budd . Colorful cinematography by Ted Moore , filmed in Jordan (Petra) and Spain . Rating : Acceptable and passable . The motion picture was professionally directed by the usual actor Sam Wanamaker . Don't watch this one for the screenplay , which almost doesn't exist , otherwise , mildly fun .

Other pictures about the great hero Simbad are the following : ¨Sinbad the sailor¨ (1947) with Douglas Fairbanks Jr , Maureen O'Hara and Anthony Quinn ; ¨Sinbad of the seven seas¨ by Enzo G Castellari with Lou Ferrigno and John Steiner and the cartoon movie ¨Simbad the legend of seven seas¨ (2003) produced by Dreamworks , a combo of computer generator and hand-drawn animation by Patrick Gilmore and Tim Johnson with voices from Brad Pitt and Catherine Zeta Jones.
8 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A weak Sinbad, but still a first-rate tale.
G.Spider30 October 1999
A film with animation by Ray Harryhausen. It's a pity he couldn't have animated Patrick Wayne, who's bland performance means he comes across as the least interesting Sinbad. It is Patrick Troughton's excellently enigmatic Melanthius and Margaret Whiting's icy Zenobia who are the real stars of this show.

Sinbad travels to find a way to break the spell which has turned a prince into a baboon, but Zenobia, who has plans to ensure her son is crowned king in the prince's place, calls upon the help of various mythical creatures. The minotaur is by far the best of these and ought to have faced Sinbad and his crew rather than just being crushed in an ignoble exit. Other memorable creatures include a giant walrus, insectoid-faced demons and a sabre-toothed cat. Though the central character of the title is somewhat lacking, this is still first-rate entertainment and genuine escapism, two things somewhat lacking in more recent films.
16 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Brilliant magical adventure.
Paul Andrews19 September 2006
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger starts with Captain Sinbad (Patrick Wayne) arriving ashore after a long voyage to see his friend Prince Kassim (Damien Thomas) & his sister Princess Farah (Jane Seymour), however he discovers that Kassim has been transformed into a Baboon by his evil step mother Zenobia (Margaret Whiting) using black magic so her son Rafi (Kurt Christian) can become king. In order to prevent this Sinbad agrees to do all in his power to turn Kassim back into a human being & see him take his rightful place as king of his land. First he must find a wise man named Melanthius (Patrick Troughton), but that is just the beginning of the journey that spans continents & is full of danger & evil...

This English production was directed by Sam Wanamaker & I personally liked it a lot, I like all the Sinbad fantasy films & this is no exception. The script by Beverly Cross & producer/special effects man Ray Harryhausen has a simple yet functional story, it has a villain, plenty of monsters & mythical creatures, exotic locations, action scenes, sword fights, black magic & a chess playing Baboon, what more do you want? The film moves along at a nice pace, is never boring or dull & provides terrific entertainment of the kind that will never be seen again. The character's are a bit on the thin side with only Zenobia the villianess standing out as being memorable & the dialogue isn't great either but that's not the reason you would want to see Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is it? Persoanlly I think it's a magical, hugely entertaining fantasy adventure with plenty of monsters thrown in there for good measure. I really, really liked it, it's as simple & straight forward as that.

Director the late Wanamaker seemed an odd choice, he's much more widely known as an actor & Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger was the only theatrically released film he ever directed, everything else he directed was made-for-TV. Anyway, he does an OK job & he integrates Harryhausen's effects & monsters into the action quite well although no one set piece really stands out as being brilliant, they're all very good but not as memorable as some of the other monsters & fights Harryhausen created for some of his earlier films. I loved the bronze Minatour & he was easily my favourite creature from the film. The special effects don't hold up that well in the light of today's multi million CGI effects but I'd rather watch the magical work of Harryhausen rather than a soulless computer graphic. Interestingly Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger came out the same year as Star Wars (1977) which probably put Harryhausen out of business & just about ended his career.

Technically the film is good, with nice locations, decent effects, costumes, sets & production design. There seems to lots of varying locations as well including the open sea, rocky mountains & a snow covered pole. The acting isn't anything special apart from Whiting who seems to be enjoying herself as she plays it up as the villain.

Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is a terrific film, it has all the elements one wants in a fantasy film such as this. My only question is why is it called Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger? Sure there's a cool sabre-toothed tiger in it but it doesn't have much significance & it's eye is never even mentioned or has any relevance at all. This was the third & final Sinbad film following The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958) & The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973).
7 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sinbad's final voyage
ShadeGrenade2 April 2010
Patrick Wayne ( son of John ) was a busy little guy in 1977. Not content with fighting dinosaurs and volcano worshippers in 'The People That Time Forgot', he also starred in Ray Harryhausen's third and final 'Sinbad' epic. Now, for those of us of a certain age, the name Ray Harryhausen conjures up powerful memories. Whenever one of his films opened in '70's Britain, it was as though manna had fallen from Heaven: 'Clapperboard' ( an I.T.V. children's programme about movies ) devoted a two-part special to its making ( featuring interviews with everyone including the tea boy ), clips found their way onto 'Screen Test', 'Blue Peter', and, if you were lucky, 'The Krypton Factor', and bubble gum cards containing action scenes went on sale in sweet shops. There'd be a paperback book ( the one for this film was by John Ryder Hall ) and a poster magazine. Then you'd trot along to the local picture house to get in line to buy popcorn and see the thing ( praying the best seat in the house would not be taken ).

The plots were identical - Sinbad and his crew ( with a pretty girl thrown in for good measure ) are on a dangerous quest to find some mythical artifact which gives its owner eternal life or magic powers or whatever. But an evil wizard would try to beat them to it, and conjure up all manner of grotesque monsters to slow them down. Of course good would triumph over evil at the end. So it is written.

'Tiger' opens with a coronation going badly wrong. Just before young prince Kassan ( Damien Thomas ) is crowned Caliph of Bagdad, he is unexpectedly changed by magic into a baboon. Being an ape can seriously impair one's ability to be a Monarch ( though its never proved much of a hindrance in Britain ), so his comely sister, Farah ( Jane Seymour ) turns to Sinbad for help. He sets sail for the home of benign magician Melanthius ( Patrick Troughton ). There must be a good hairdresser amongst the crew, as everyone's crowning glories looks permanently fresh and clean. Along the way they pick up Dione ( Taryn Power, sister of Tyrone ). Zenobia ( Margaret Whiting ) the evil witch who changed the prince in the first place, gives chase in a barge rowed by a minotaur-like creature ( Peter Mayhew ) with a clockwork heart. What about the monsters? Well there's a giant walrus, a big wasp, a troglodyte, a sabre-toothed tiger, and some weird looking skeletal things who fight Sinbad near the start of the picture. And we've got Jane Seymour and Taryn Power skinny dipping for good measure. All you want from a movie.

While not the best 'Sinbad' ( 1974's 'The Golden Voyage Of Sinbad' scoops that honour ) by a long chalk, this is still good fun, beautifully photographed by Ted Moore and nicely scored by Roy Budd. It drags in parts, most notably the scene where Zenobia changes into a seagull to eavesdrop on her enemies. As 'Zenobia', Whiting chews the scenery nicely. I wish her character's fate had been resolved though, and dear Pat Troughton's wizard anticipates his later role in 'The Box Of Delights' television series.

'Tiger' opened to a mixed critical response, but us kids loved every absurd word of it. No more 'Sinbad' pictures were made surprisingly. Ray went on to make 'Clash Of The Titans' ( recently remade for no apparently discernible reason ) in 1981 before retiring. While his stop motion animations ( or 'Dynarama' as they were grandly called ) may seem dated to modern eyes, to those of us who were there at the time they remain as thrilling as ever. His monsters look as though they were the creation of a genius. Which they were.

Directed by Sam Wanamaker ( Zoe's dad ).
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A hugely enjoyable and underrated fantasy adventure treat
Woodyanders4 February 2007
Evil witch Zenobia (a wonderfully robust and wicked portrayal by Margaret Whiting) casts a spell on Prince Kassim (handsome Damien Thomas) which transforms him into a baboon. Courageous legendary sailor Sinbad (a solid and likable performance by Patrick Wayne) embarks on a dangerous journey to the chilly Artic in order to reverse the spell before it's too late. Assisting Sinbad on his perilous pilgrimage are fiery Princess Farah (radiantly played by the beautiful Jane Seymour), flaky wise old wizard Melanthius (a delightfully dotty Patrick Troughton) and Melanthius' feisty daughter Dione (a winning turn by luscious blonde looker Taryn Power). Standing in Sinbad's way are Zenobia and her no-count son Rafi (a nicely venomous Kurt Christian). Director Sam Wanamaker ably maintains a brisk pace throughout, stages the frequent thrilling action scenes with considerable brio, and effectively creates a charming magical atmosphere. Ray Harryhausen's extraordinary stop-motion animation creatures include a chess-playing baboon (the sequence where the baboon reacts to its reflection in a mirror with startled grief is truly remarkable), a trio of skeletal sword-wielding humanoid insect demons, a powerful bronze colossus called the Minoton, a savage gigantic walrus, a helpful horned club-brandishing troglodyte, and a ferocious saber-toothed tiger. The scene where Power and Seymour go skinny-dipping is pretty bold for a G-rated film. Roy Budd's splendidly stirring'n'sweeping majestic orchestral score and Ted Moore's exquisitely rich, vivid and vibrant saturated color cinematography further add to the overall enjoyment of this engaging and satisfying fantasy adventure treat.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
good harryhausen fantasy movie
r-c-s29 December 2005
This is a good, mild, entertaining family-oriented fantasy movie. SFX by Harryhausen are good era & genre-wise. However this movie is not quite a pure SFX extravaganza, but belongs better to a fairy tale, say Krull or else. You get many conventional subplots: * good prince is turned into a baboon while his evil stepmother wants to see her own son becoming Calif. * belle princess in love with the brave sailor Sinbad. * a secret hermit from a mysterious island. * mummies out of hell, giant tigers, a robot minotaur. * only six moons to counter the spell. * a trip through the north pole. etc etc. A nice movie, very easily watchable.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Rounds out the trilogy nicely.
Spikeopath9 July 2010
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger is directed by Sam Wannamaker and is the third and final Sinbad film that Ray Harryhausen (and his stop-motion creations) made for Columbia after The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. It stars Patrick Wayne (Sinbad), Jane Seymour (Princess Farah), Taryn Power (Dione), Patrick Troughton (Melanthius), Margaret Whiting (Zenobia) and Nadim Sawalha (Hassan). Studio work was done in England, with the exterior location work done in Spain, Malta and Jordan.

Evil sorceress Zenobia has designs on the throne and transforms the heir, Prince Kassim, into a Baboon. Kassim's sister calls on Captain Sinbad for help, who learns that a fabled man by the name of Melanthius may be their only hope. They face a perilous journey to the end of the World (a place called Hyperborea) with Zenobia and her black magic tricks in hot pursuit.

Depending on if you are a fantasy/adventure fan or not may determine how much, if at all, you get from Sinbad & The Eye Of The Tiger. For the film is chocked full of cheese and acting of the hammiest kind. The plot is your standard set up for the irrepressible Sinbad-he must travel to some remote destination to stave off evil and realign the World, and our faith, in the name of good. While it's safe to say that the film is about 15 minutes too long for a Sinbad adventure. On the other side of the coin, tho, fans of the genre and Harryhausen's work are in for a treat.

The cast have as much charisma than you can shake a stick at, perhaps not surprising when you have the offspring of John & Tyrone starring, and the adventure is colourful and dealing nicely in the realm of the fantastique. It also finds Harryhausen on super form as we are treated to skeletal demons, a bronze minotan, a big bad wasp, a gigantic walrus, a trog and a snarling sabre tooth tiger. But best of all is his baboon because the creature is part of the cast from practically start to finish, thus it interacts with the human actors and has a personality all of its own. With one particularly emotive scene a real standout in the Harryhausen/Sinbad trilogy. For the girls is the sight of Wayne in fine physical and swash buckling shape, and for the boys is the twin niceties of Power and Seymour who steadily get skimpier in their attire during the course of the story. Troughton has a good time as the mad/eccentric/genius alchemist, while Whiting owns the film with her delightfully over the top trip into evil villainy.

It's presumed that newcomers to the movie know what to expect going into this one, whilst old fans revisiting it should hopefully find that it's holding up rather well considering the genre it sits in. Good old family fun that may be weak on story but strong on popcorn entertainment value. 7/10
9 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Sinbad Genre with Minotaur added
NYLux28 August 2009
If you ever wondered what movies you should be watching in high resolution technology this one should be on top pf the list. You want to see the details on the bronze minotaur (called Minaton here) the intricate patterns on the thousands of fabrics, and precious jewels, the different eye lash-layers on "evil" queen Zenobia and the expanse of ultra blue seas.

The third of Ray Harryhausen's Sinbad films has apparently gotten a bad rap over the years, which I can not understand. It may be for Beverly Cross' script and some of the performances, notably Patrick Wayne as Sinbad, which I happen to think is totally fine and entertaining, but may not be perceived as such for those searching for dramatic acting. This rap should be disregarded as it is not only largely unfair, but inadequate in noting the entertaining values of this movie. No doubt it could have been better, but as an exciting adventure it is more than good, thanks to a strong cast and Ray Harryhausen's excellent animation.

The story is about Kassim, the caliph of Baghdad, who mysteriously disappears at the very moment of his coronation. Sinbad, arriving in Baghdad both to sell his merchandise cargo, and also to see again his love interest, the caliph's sister played by a luscious, very young Jane Seymour. He is drawn into a trap, by Rafi, a dark handsome prince played by Kurt Christian set in a magnificent tent, which includes belly-dancing entertainment. His mother, the evil dowager queen Zenobia, played Margaret Whiting, who is more than familiar with the black arts is behind this plan and all others, as we know just by looking at him, that Rafi has no brains or sense of direction. Barely escaping an attack by three sword-wielding fire skeletal creatures, Sinbad finds Kassim's sister and a baboon, which is actually prince Kassim, as transformed by the magic of queen Zenobia so her own son could be caliph. At this very point we should wonder if this 'evil' woman is not actually just career oriented. In New York she would have been directing a real estate emporium or huge corporate conglomerate, maybe both, where Rafi could have just looked good in the publicity ads as she ruled ruthlessly; yet in time she would have done the charity balls, she would have even sponsored some cultural causes, eventually she would have been perceived as a pillar of society. It's all a matter of perception and historical placement, above all Location, location, location!

In order to break Zenobia's spell on Kassim, Sinbad enlists an adequately wise and aged wizard, Master Malanthius and his sexy daughter, the hyper blond, hypnotized-looking Dione (Taryn Power), who also has some of the most vapid dialog in the movie. They meet in the ancient city of Petra, where the wizard lives, and the scene of arrival, and seeing the city through a rock is totally rewarding as a reason to see the whole film, it is so well done and awesome. All have to set sail for Hyperborea, a land at the North Pole magically immune to the polar region's snows. However, Zenobia and Rafi are following. Zenobia had actually had a confrontation scene by Sinbad's ship when she arrived in a feathered and veiled litter and argued with the silly vizier who was trying to look his best in a day-wear saffron and gold ensemble that was striking for the pheasant feathered adornment of his turban that looked like the whole bird was alive, and in heat. Zenobia has decided to enlist help too. She will be aided by a mechanical beast, a bull-headed robot created by Zenobia, and animated with a golden heart, baptized with the name Minaton, close enough to the ancient Minotaur of the labyrinth story. Although great looking as an accessory he is just an elaborate rowing machine in their metalized ship that looks more like an early submarine. The first thing they do is crush the spies that the vizier had set to watching their moves, against a rock as they start on the pursuit, an appropriately delightful moment of evil indulgence.

The best part of the movie is Zenobia's transformation into a seagull so she can leave her ship and spy on Sinbad in his. She takes a potion and has a series of very erotic spasms in her elaborate bedchamber, and suddenly she is the bird. Her flight is not as lucky, once arrived, she transforms into a miniature version of herself and is unfortunately discovered by the baboon, who wrecks her plan, only after much difficulty she manages to change back to the seagull and escape, but there is not enough potion left when she turns into herself: She is left with a huge foot of a seagull attached to her leg instead of her human foot, and will stomp her way through the rest of the film.

This film features quite a bit of character animation by Harryhausen. The baboon Kassim looks totally real playing chess and most of all in his dramatic scene when he sees himself in a mirror, and despairs over his change. Trog, a prehistoric giant who "is as frightened of us as we of him," as Malanthius sweetly remarks, is a direct ancestor of Shrek, and looks frightening yet endearing. Kassim and Dione manage to befriend Trog, and when Kassim is finally liberated of Zenobia's spell, we feel genuine regret as Trog is killed by Zenobia, again transformed, this time as Smilodon the tiger of the snows. This battle is unusually gruesome, and absurd, yet an exciting delight to watch as both her and Sinbad are endangered by falling ice spears.

The happy ending in the coronation of Kassim as caliph allows us to admire in detail the Jewelled splendor of his court, the plasticized Formica of the rings, the unique, early zircons and other stones are all mystifying, specially when thrown together with pearls and feathers.
7 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Harryhausen creations carry the day.
Bynovekka119 September 2001
Tip your hat to Ray Harryhausen. His stop motion animation monsters constantly distract viewers from the worst plots and the most awful acting performances within his films. In his third and final Sinbad outing, we again find bad acting personified in the form of Patrick Wayne in the title role. He's stiff as the perverbial board. But unlike John Philip Law in 'Golden voyage of Sinbad' he at least tries hard. And if nothing else, he looks the part.

The rest of the cast is somewhat better. A drop dead gorgeous princess. A aged greek scientist. His attractive daughter. An evil sorceress Queen and her just as evil son.

"Possible Spoilers!!!"

The plot....such as it is.....consists of the following; The aforementioned evil queen makes a monkey out of a soon to be crowded prince.....literally!!! In fact the poor guys been transformed into a baboon to prevent him from taking the throne as king. Hence the evil queen will be the big cheese in the kingdom.

The prince's ultra hot sister seeks a way to save him. To this end she enlists the aid of her soon to be hubby, the square jawed sea captain......Sinbad.

Sinbad informs his intended that the only one capable of helping her is the aformentioned aged greek scientist. The catch is he lives on a far off island and the prince must take the throne by a certain time or the evil queen's son.......who like any good son does everything mama tells him.......will become the new king.

Sinbad and crew set sail to the aged greeks isle. The evil queen pursues. Along the way both party's meet up with a number of impressively constructed Harryhausen visual whammys. Including: Bug-eyed sword wielding ghouls. A metal minator. A giant wasp. A giant stone aged primative. A monstrously large walrus. And a deadly sabertoothed tiger.

It is these non-living charactors that steal the show. But with Harryhausen pulling the strings we the audience would expect nothing less.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still holds up pretty well after 26 years
Apollo_Tweed4 December 2003
After having re-visited Harryhausen's Sinbad trilogy recently, I have decided that this one, overall, compares very favourably with the other two. It is the most epic of the trilogy and has the most ambitious storyline (POSSIBLE SPOILER) involving a voyage into a lost world hidden behind the ice sheets at the North Pole (no doubt an idea partly influenced by Disney's 1974 'The Island at the Top of the World').

The creatures in this one are the least spectacular of the trilogy (THE SEVENTH VOYAGE & THE GOLDEN VOYAGE have better and more spectacular ones) but Harryhausen's artistry is as great as ever and he really should have been given a special accolade for imbuing Kassim the Baboon and the Troglodyte with so much character. It really is remarkable watching them 'act'. Demanding kids may find the creatures disappointing but now that I am older I can appreciate the fine work that went into realising them. Harryhausen's puppet work possesses a tangibility that CGI is only just now coming close to emulating.

I also find that I care about the characters in this film and what happens to them. The woodenness of the acting and the dialogue of the previous 2 films in some way stopped me from caring very much. This picture does not suffer in the same way, as both acting and dialogue, while nothing special, are better here. Jane Seymour is also very easy on the eye and is the best looking Sinbad girl of them all.

Overall, highly recommended for young (but not very young) children and for adults who were kids when it first came out and want to recapture some nostalgic vibes. I feel that this one is best for a sense of epic adventure and empathetic characters, THE SEVENTH VOYAGE OF SINBAD is best for the monsters and THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD is quite possibly the best of the trilogy overall.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A fun 70's flick!
daria8414 November 2004
I've seen this movie probably about over 10 times when I was little, but now I can't find it and I really want to watch it again!

This movie is plain entertaining, about one of many adventures that Simbad had, including a witch that practices black magic, a terrible curse, an old wise man with lots of answers for lots of questions and even a golden bull, Zenobia's slave. cool huh?

Anyways the plot is fun, you know how's going to end but that doesn't ruin the fun. The Actors are good, not Oscar winners but they do their job and do it well. Script? it's OK, it has some fun lines, most of all from Zenobia.

Bottom line: if I find this movie, I'll buy it in a heart-beat!
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Far-Out Tale Involving Sinbad
BaronBl00d29 June 2003
Okay, the story for this film, already stated to some length, is obviously weak. A prince turned into a chess-playing baboon is taken to the Artic to go to some mystical land, Hyperbalia or something like that, so that he can resume his former shape. The legend basis of this film is almost non-existent as we see a pyramid at the the northern-most part of the world that is guarded by an ice-covered sabre-tooth tiger. Hmmm...okay, Ill buy. In the process of this "world", we see images of Egyptian, Indian, and even Greek deities abounding throughout. Boy, what travelers all these folks were! Story notwithstanding. This film is fun if not ridiculous. Patrick Wayne easily makes the weakest and least-interesting Sinbad. An in-grown toe nail oozes more passion. The female leads are "fleshed" out with Jane Seymour and Taryn Power(daughter of Tyronne Power). Seymour has moments that show her ability to act; Power has no such moments. The real plusses come from supporting players Patrick Troughton( a former Dr. Who) and Margaret Whiting as the evil Zenobia, foil to Sinbad and his baboon-changing-back-to-prince plans. Troughton plays Melanthius, the wisest man on earth, yet makes one inept, incredibly stupid mistake after another when the ship is visited by Zenobia ala gull. Watch and see if his actions make any sense to you. Troughton CAN act though and brings some much needed life to the human cast of the film. The real joy of the cast is Whiting playing this thickly-accented evil persona chewing up as much scenery as she can. Watching her hobble about and use her eyes was a real hoot! But like any other Harryhausen film, the "real" cast takes a backseat to the animated ones. The film definitely has a weaker array of creatures for a Harryhausen film, and no one stand-out creature, but there are some good ones like the gold Miniton(minitour), the sabre-toothed tiger, and the Trogolyte, a creature that exudes a great deal of emotion for a figure such as this. The giant walrus was a bit lame as were the creatures created out of flames by Zenobia in the beginning of the film. Harryhausen and Producer Charles Schneer still deliver some good action and effects amidst the very, very weak script(co-written by Harryhausen), the mediocre direction of Sam Wanamaker, and the listless performance of Patrick Wayne.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sinbad: Third time's a harm. The first real blunder of Dynamation!
Death_to_Pan_and_Scan15 July 2006
The third film is the weakest of the Sinbad trilogy. The trailers should've said "Starring John Wayne's son and Tyrone Powers' daughter!", I wasn't impressed by that casting. Personally, I thought Jane Seymour was one of the casting highlights in this flawed fantasy film. "Eye of the Tiger" not a bad film, but it is also not the great film that some people want to remember it as from their childhood.

I saw these Sinbad films as a child and re-watched them this week. Let's face it; this was the weakest of the 3 Sinbad films and of the 5 films in that Harryhausen boxset. The IMDb voters even seem to agree with me on this. Luckily for us, Ray Harryhausen, special effects genius and one-man workforce, followed this film up with "Clash of the Titans" before retiring thereby leaving the film world on a high note instead of this uncharacteristic stumble. This might have had 7 times the budget of the first Sinbad film (7th Voyage), but it was a big letdown to me after watching much better, more entertaining Sinbad films. If I seem harsh in this review, it is because I have recently re-watched several of Ray Harryhausen's films and some interviews and documentaries in said box set about his work. I know the magic his genius is capable of and I am grading this film against his other films. Some people on IMDb are whining because it came out around the same time as "Close Encounters" and "Star Wars". The real problem isn't that movie visual effects had moved forward, so much as that the work here isn't as impressive as it is in previous Harryhausen films.

The plot was basically a weak mirror of the 7th Voyage plot (gotta help restore a friend to normal, go to some crazy island to obtain magical help and faceoff against a purveyor of the dark arts). Actually all 3 Sinbad films can be vaguely described that way. The script makes some weak/lame turns to get to its destination.

While a friend didn't like Sinbad 'having an afro', I didn't mind Patrick Wayne's look as much as his uninspired acting. He never sold us on the Dynamation effects like Kerwin Matthews or John Philip Law (of Danger Diabolik fame).

THE CREATURES. I am 'grading on a curve' against Harryhause's capabilities from other films. His work here is good (and above what anyone else save possibly Willis O'Brien could do with similar tools), but definitely has been better in his previous efforts. -Golden Minotaur was very cool, but never properly utilized in this film. -bug-eyed demons were unimpressive creations. -sabretooth was fun, but looked more like a stuffed toy than past Harryhausen creations. -Trogolodyte was good. There were also: a baboon, a giant walrus and an overgrown bee. There isn't anything here to compare to his greatest creations: the Cyclops vs. Dragon, the Roc, 6-armed swordfighting Kali, 7 skeletons (in Argonauts), Griffon vs. Centaur, Pegasus, Medusa, etc. He doesn't top himself in this film, which was a letdown for me after seeing his better films.

I also felt that some of the travelling matte work had footage that to my eye didn't quite match up and distracted from the usual wonder of 'Dynamation' I've come to expect. Viewing this in my childhood I probably overlooked this, as an adult I cannot.

The film suffers from an abundance of what I call 'IDIOT PLOT MOMENTS', the likes of which one would expect from a slasher film. This happens too often in entertainment (especially in genre films and TV) when the writers need to get the plot from point A to point B and are either too lazy or lack creativity to get there properly or they are attempting something extremely unlikely for the characters and don't care about undermining the credibility or reality of the world they are creating. There were far too many moments where I wanted to scream at the screen while watching.

The Minotaur is a great mythology creature and could've been a great opponent for an exciting battle with Sinbad's crew, but was totally wasted here. What does he really do? He rows a boat, spears a drowning man and then proves his lack of sentience by pulling a large brick onto himself thereby crushing himself to death. Lame.

Melanthius the supposedly wise sage acts cluelessly so the plot can proceed where the writers want. He captures the witch (already established as highly dangerous and has turned Sinbad's friend into a baboon) and promptly evacuates the room of all other people (who could possibly stop him from his forthcoming blundering). He then reveals the map and key to the enemy and (inadvertently?) tells her where they are headed. Then, after taunting her with a dangerous bee, he gives the bee some of her potentially 'enlarging' potion so that it can become a danger to the crew and the witch can be afforded an escape and further plague the party.

After not running the treacherous witch through with a spear, the party inexplicably forgets to keep a close eye on Zenobia after the death of her worthless son while all watching starry-eyed as the Prince transforms back. Lo and behold Zenobia uses this oversight to possess the frozen sabretooth and attempt her vengeance. This begins the sabretooth vs. Trog battle. I am still annoyed by Sinbad's crew not taking the opportunity to slash the monsters legs thereby crippling its fighting abilities even if it wouldn't seem sporting in a G rated film (not that it stopped Koura from stabbing the Griffon's hindquarters to cripple it in Golden Voyage).
5 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I liked this Sinbad movie!
I haven't seen many Sinbad movies, but this one I liked very much. I remember seeing the preview when I was younger. And I said to myself, "This movie looks like fun!" The animation in the movie gave it plenty of character. And Sinbad(Patrick Wayne) was a fine man as well. The witch(Margaret Whiting) was a very fiendish woman. She makes all other witches look like amateurs, especially when she used her sorcery. Her only flaw is when her re-transformation from a bird didn't complete itself. It's when her right foot is still a bird's. The growth formula was something when one of the bees drank it. and was later killed by Sinbad. Jane Seymour does a great job playing Princess Farah. She really knows how to control, and tame things that Sinbad couldn't do. The giant walrus, the golden minotaur, and a the vicious saber-tooth tiger gives the movie something to see. I think this movie is very watchable, and very entertaining. I wished it had gotten better reviews than it did. 3 out of 5 stars!
Enjoyed this film in 1977
whpratt113 January 2007
Enjoyed seeing this film after first viewing this film in 1977 and was spellbound and enjoyed the great acting of Patrick Wayne,(Sinbad) who manages to accomplish his task against the forces of Evil vs. Good. Taryn Power, (Diane) was very beautiful in her supporting role along with Margaret Whiting, (Zednobia). Sinbad has to face the evil powers of a wicked witch who uses all her powers to prevent Sinbad from carrying out his mission. It was nice to see Jan Seymour, (Princess Farah) who was very young and just starting out on a great career on the Silver Screen. In 1974 I really enjoyed that Sinbad film and this was even better when I first viewed this in 1977, it brought back fond memories, however, I love the films today and all the great graphics. This was just a look back at movies we thought were outstanding. They STILL ARE!
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
...not a strong Harryhausen-movie, but better than many people say...
Prometheus92636 December 2002
I must say first that I´m a great fan of Ray Harryhausen, and that may have a great influence to my opinion, but that movie isn´t really bad. It has good actors and the best-looking-Sinbad ever (if I should say that because I´m a man...). The effects are, as always in a Harryhausen-movie, excellent, but many people say that it was not for the best that Harryhausen took some creatures from earlier films: that might be partially true, the creatures from the beginning sequence are looking like the selenites from FIRST MEN IN THE MOON, but it is not the right of the master to copy himself? He did also in JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS with the fighting skeletons, where he copied Kerwin Mathews´ fight in 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD against the skeleton that Torin Thatcher took to life. Margaret Whiting (surely a good actress) as the opponent of Sinbad is not very strong. No comparison with Torin Thatcher in 7TH VOYAGE OF SINBAD or Tom Baker in GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In need of a script editor.
Dave from Ottawa13 April 2012
The script here is very weak for a work of epic fantasy. Scenes run on too long and character interactions are not particularly strong or convincing. You get the feeling that the script was being re-written on the fly while the production went forward and that there was a hope that it would all come together in the edit. It didn't. For instance there was a whole scene early in the movie in which the princess (Jane Seymour) confronts the evil witch which should have been cut out. The whole dramatic upshot of this scene was to show that the witch was evil and the princess hated her. Well, even the youngest members of the audience had this figured out long before, so let's get on with the action. Problems like this irritate and cut into the enjoyment of the picture.

The production design looks good, but then this is to be expected for any Harryhausen movie - Harryhausen made meticulously detailed production sketches for every set, model and creature in the film. Indeed, the sketches had a more finished look than many of the sets themselves did, due to limitations of budget. Veteran character actor Sam Wanamaker is the nominal director, but the effects unit was run as always by Harryhausen, and for its time the stop motion animation was very good and the actors did their best to interact with models which weren't there. Nevertheless, as an entertainment whole the movie leaves one wishing for a better result.

The shoot itself clearly had some entertaining moments. For example, Jane Seymour recounted later how the Arctic scenes in the movie were actually shot on Malta during a summer heat wave. Fake snow blew all around, while the cast sweltered in heavy parkas!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great Harryhausen effects make up for poor screenplay
Albert Ohayon6 April 2006
**Some light spoilers** If you compare the three Sinbad movies produced by Charles H. Schneer and Ray Harryhausen, this one is easily the weakest. Firstly, Patrick Wayne is dull as heck in the role of Sinbad. Secondly, the film is much too long. Thirdly, the dialog and story are poor even for this kind of movie. But not to despair there are several great reasons to watch it. The great Harryhausen monsters and the very sexy Jane Seymour are the main reasons. The great locations in Malta, Jordan and Spain are also very well chosen and add to the atmosphere. They seem like mysterious lands where monsters could be lurking at every turn(and usually are). The Harryhausen monsters are great especially the Troglodyte and the chess playing baboon. The Minoton is also cool (only in the animated sequences but certainly not when it is a man in a rubber suit). What can I say about Jane Seymour but WOW!! What she lacks in acting ability she makes up for in screen presence and beauty. Upon re-viewing the film I realized that the Sinbad character does almost nothing useful until the very end when he fights the Tiger. He is mainly there to go along with the other characters and look good. Wayne plays him with almost no personality whatsoever. Taryn Power (Tyronne's daughter) is OK in a secondary role but I suspect she was cast more for her looks than anything else. Margaret Whiting is completely over-the-top as the villainous Zenobia but at least she seems to be having fun with all the corny dialog(her transformation into a seagull is laughable and the only bad special effect in the film). One thing that struck me as odd is with the amount of great location footage shot in this film almost all the closeups were shot in a studio with a blue screen. This is very weird as it is obvious that the main cast are in the long and medium shots, shot on location. Did the producers run out of time or money before shooting the close-ups or what? Overall a good film to see on a rainy day or with a child. If you let your imagination take over it works even better.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this