IMDb > Saturday Night Fever (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saturday Night Fever

Saturday Night Fever More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 22: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Saturday Night Fever

Author: Jim Colyer from Nashville, Tennessee
6 October 2007

John Travolta and The Bee Gees team up, and the result is the biggest selling soundtrack in history. Travolta's feverish dancing put a face on the Gibb Brothers' disco beat. We still imitate him in his white suit, our fingers pointing to the sky. For awhile, I thought The Bee Gees were singing "Bald Headed Woman." I was informed that it was "More Than A Woman." It is unlikely that the movie would have gone far without The Bee Gees music. Songs like Stayin' Alive and Night Fever echo today. I particularly like Yvonne Elliman's rendition of If I Can't Have You. It was painful to watch The Bee Gees renounce the disco era a few years later. The characters and storyline of SNF are downers. A sequel called Staying Alive was released in 1983. It was so bad that it killed Travolta's career for a decade.

Enjoyment, flair and kick ass dancing all on Saturday Night

Author: Alex da Silva from United Kingdom
5 October 2007

There have not been many dance films since it's arrival and certainly none to beat.But don't forget this film isn't all about the dancing and polyester suits or platform shoes, it does have a descent story added to it's power are the classic Bee Gees songs like Night Fever, Stayin Alive and others. Despite not being born in the 70's, i can still picture the elements that made the 70's so memorable as it has with Saturday Night Fever thirty years after its release. You really have to watch this film about twice to really get the story and characters.

The only perspective that could have been improved was MORE DANCING! It just didn't have enough, but the elements it did contain were beautifully stunning with John Travolta taking the lead and no doubt "King" of the dance floor. By all means see this for a class piece of cinema masterpiece.

An OK travolta film

Author: jamiem-20 from United States
25 June 2007

well, what can i say? it wasn't bad even though i only saw part of the PG version on TV. yet, it wasn't as good as Grease. It reminds me almost of Purple Rain, 8 Mile and Flashdance. Wanna know why? because they all have battles. this and flashdance had a disco battle, 8 mile had a rap battle and purple rain, i don't know what kind. it's about this man, Tony (Travolta) who wants to be a disco king. He falls in luv with this ballet dancer Stephanie but has so many issues at home, his family's broke, despite the fact he looks like a real New Yorker. He also has his womanizing skills. I don't know what happens later. but maybe i'll find out soon..... when i watch the PG version. if ur parents don't want u 2 watch the R rated version.... the next time it's on... watch it. so rent it, watch it, dance once in a while and if you like it, buy. Also watch the sequel even though it's not as good as this.

User rating 6.6 - Come on folks!

Author: cwatson6387 from United Kingdom
25 August 2006

I was a bit surprised to see this film was rated 6.6 by IMDb contributors. I think it should be higher in the 7.5 - 8.0 range.

It's got a killer opening scene - Travolta strutting down the street to the music of The Bee Gees.

*********************************************

The movie stars JT as Tony Manero, a troubled Brooklyn youth whose weekend activities are dominated by visits to the local disco. While in the disco, Tony is the king, and the visits help him to temporarily forget the reality of his life: a dead-end job, clashes with his unsupportive and squabbling parents, racial tensions in the local community, and his associations with a dead-beat gang of friends.

Tony connects with the aloof Stephanie one night at the disco. Despite her initial frosty and superior attitude toward Tony, she agrees to partner with him in the dance contest after much urging. Tony then has to ditch his current partner Annette, who had actively pursued Tony, despite his obvious disdain for her. Stephanie has a job in Manhatten and is poised to move there. This awakens in Tony the need to transcend his working-class roots.

After a series of twists and turns Tony and Stephanie are fall out and are reconciled although not necessarily as a couple. Will he make it to the promised land – I've never watched the sequel and don't really want to know, as I think the film ends at the right place.

*********************************************

My only disappointment with the movie was the fight scene which for a film aspiring to be realistic was unconvincing otherwise I'd be arguing for an even higher score!

MY favorite musical movie!!!

Author: tlmmtibet from Peru
8 August 2006

Saturday Night Fever marked the beginning of a new generation,a young dreamer called Tony Manero (John Travolta)is the king of the NYC discos at the 70s,works for some coins in a store by day,but when is the night, especially the weekends,he turns in the greatest dancer of the "big apple",along with his nasty friends,lives in a world of lust and pleasure. Being an Italian descendant,into a mid-class family,his room shows the posters of 2 icons for then:Bruce Lee,deceased 4 years ago and "Rocky" or better to say Sylvester Stallone already all an idol,his parents so funny and bizarre,a brother the pride of the family owing to his devotion to the faith:a priest,but he will be carried by Tony into the disco world,How can we forget that music full of energy?Regretly many youngsters despises that great rhythm,intolerance and absurd slim less noises crowd those heads,it's so funny to watch a young Fran Drescher(the gorgeous "Nanny")STANDING WITH HER PRETTY AND SEXY GREEN CHANNEL DRESS awaiting for Tony Manero taking over the lighten ballroom with "YOU SHOULD BE DANCING" by the Bee Gees,THE PLOT IS NOT EXTRAORDINARY,but for those years children,young boys,adults and even elder people enjoyed this flick. But the final was sad after one of his frolic friends dies,everything crumbled down,and even Tony felt the emptiness of his rushed life, his occasional partner Stephenie went away from him,because he tried to make non-desired love and she refuses all the Tony's behavior. It's unforgettable the moment when they waved goodbye,"How deep is your love" by "The Bee Gees" penetrated all the inner being of us, it was not a happy end,you can dislike so many things about this movie,regrettably the Disco is underrated,many teens prefer to burst their minds with ugly screams,rhythm-less noises claiming hate,anger and violence for free,please learn to respect,understand what you cant analyze,this film and its soundtrack will be eternal!!!

It's good, but the stage-show is better.

Author: along_came_bialy from United Kingdom
5 August 2006

I've seen the Film and the stage show, and I actually prefer the stage show. However I was born after the film was released so it would be interesting to see it on a larger screen. I saw the stage-show a couple of years ago while visiting my sister at university. The songs were so infectious that we danced through the streets of Canterbury for hours. I cant' believe the energy of the actors, they danced and sung live, unlike most Pop Stars. I love the contrast between high octane songs such as "Staying Alive", to poignant songs such as "how deep is your love" My main problem with the film is that it lacks the energy of the stage-show. Th scene where Bobby throws falls of Brooklyn bridge, it had a much greater effect in The Stageshow.

Staurday Pastache

Author: Jedi2000000000 from United States
16 July 2006

Saturday Night Fever released in 1977, captures an era that is unique and yet prevalent throughout every era. It is a time piece that transports the viewer to the golden age of Disco and the sweet sound of the Beegees. The opening sequence captures the southern section of New York City and the beautiful design of the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. It gives the viewer the perspective of the era through Tony Manero, and his moments with friends, encounters with women, and confusion and acceptance of his older brother (Frank) decision. Also, it shows the beauty of relationship and love and how there are times of conflict and moments of helping. I enjoyed this movie very much and inspires me to visit the sites that are in the movie. However, Disco 2001 has since closed the feeling and light still exists. Thank You to all the cast and crew of the film and to the individuals involved in the Disco era.

Great Fever to Catch ***1/2

Author: edwagreen from United States
20 January 2006

John Travolta truly shines as dance hero Tony Monero in this wonderful 1977 production of "Saturday Night Fever."

When Friday night comes around, Tony can quickly forget about the rest of the week, get those dancing shoes ready, dress up and head down to that Bay Ridge Disco and dance the night away.

The songs from the Bee Gee's are great. Shockingly, they were not nominated for best song among the Academy Award nominations. Why not? What was the nominating committee thinking?

Tony has his problems at home and frustration at work. Dancing becomes an outlet for him and what an outlet he has. Fast on his feet, Arthur Murray praised Travolta's dancing in this film;although,prudish Arthur and Katherine objected to the language.

We see the lives of average Italian Brooklynites on the streets of Bay Ridge as well as the disco.

Complications ensue. Tony's brother, a priest, comes home and announces that he is leaving the church. There may be homosexual implications but that is fortunately glossed over.

Karen Lynn Gorney is an excellent dance partner for Tony. Usual TV good girl, Donna Pescow turns in a surprisingly good performance as a girlfriend rejected by Tony.

There is plenty of excitement beyond the dance floor. That memorable scene on the bridge, where tragedy befalls a pal of Tony's, is terrifically done.

Get out your dancing shoes and dance up a storm. This is sure one fever well worth catching.

Dated, but crisp, appealing performance by Travolta

Author: Dan Franzen (dfranzen70) from United States
7 January 2006

John Travolta's high-octane performance took his stardom (earned on Welcome Back, Kotter) to otherworldly levels. His Tony Manero isn't a perfectly nice Brooklyn kid, but he's also not a rotten jerk. He's 19, has a job that he enjoys (selling paint at a hardware store), and at night he's the king of the dance floor at the height of the disco age.

The movie is very dated - as most movies that rely on topical music score and fashion must be - but the theme runs true. Tony dances to build his own self-esteem, since he gets little in the way of positive enforcement from a family that dotes upon his older brother, a priest. He hangs with his arrested-development pals, drinking and dancing and carousing and fighting.

Travolta is fantastic as Tony; he's not as loud and arrogant as his friends, but he's clearly their leader. He's not terribly bright, but he's smart enough to know his limitations. He's a little thoughtful, but not too reflective, choosing to live in the present. Until, that is, he meets the slightly older Stephanie (Karen Lynn Gorney).

It's easy to see why audiences flocked to this one, with its strong soundtrack (all Bee Gees, all the time) and electric atmosphere. The movie's uncharacteristically well directed by John Badham, and Travolta's supporting cast is appropriate, not slipping into caricatures.

S10 Reviews: Saturday Night Fever (1977)

Author: suspiria10 from The Void
23 April 2005

Tony Manero (John Travolta) is "Tres Cool" spending his days at the local Brooklyn paint shop slaving away and supporting his parents and siblings. But when the sun goes down he puts on his polyester leisure suit, throws on his chains and spruces up his platform shoes to head down to the local discothèque where every woman wants him and every man wants to be him. There he is the king of the night-time world. Manero and his hoodlum friends aren't all that nice but they ooze gutter cool when the mirror ball starts to spin.

I am not fond of disco music so I figured I would hate the film with a passion. But I was wrong. "Saturday Night Live" is now like a time-capsule of the late 70's music scene which is surprisingly interesting. Travolta does a great job of making his flawed and ultimately unlikable character, likable. The production is a flashy musical-hybrid at it's' roots but it has a surprising dramatic sophistication when you see Manero working his way through the mess of his life. Obviously a movie about disco can't be made without it. So I forgive them that fact. But I won't be getting the soundtrack. Can you dig it?