IMDb > Saturday Night Fever (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Saturday Night Fever

Saturday Night Fever More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 22: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

"You're a cliché. You're nowhere...on your way to no place". - Stephanie Mangano

Author: Blooeyz2001 from Florida
10 April 2002

"Saturday Night Fever" is a late 70's classic coming-of-age film. When I saw this movie, in a packed theater on Staten Island, New York in the winter of 1977 the people around me seemed to miss the point. When Karen Lynn Gorney's character Stephanie tells John Travolta's Tony he's going nowhere the audience booed her & clapped for his response, "What the "f" you got? A stairway to the stars?" After the film's release, some people were emulating Tony's friend's negative & sometimes stereotypical behavior. The movie's message was to better yourself, but some people just didn't get this simple premise. Karen Lynn Gorney was excellent as Stephanie Mangano, the business person/Manhattanite wannabe who mesmerized Tony Manero. Although she was about 32 at the time, she was playing a 20 year old (this was common casting practice in the 70's). My favorite scene is the touching moments when Tony tells Stephanie all he knows about the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge. The bridge symbolizes Tony's desire to get out of Brooklyn. If it had been The Brooklyn Bridge this scene would have made more sense, because the Verrazano Bridge connects Brooklyn to Staten Island, not Manhattan (a place we're their lives will supposedly get better). The language is authentic, the clothing, music & dancing are filled with 70's nostalgia. The film is NOT politically correct in any way. Therefore, it's very realistic, "in-your-face", & represents the time & place in which it was made. If you have an interest in late 70's pop culture this movie is a must see.

Completely captures a time & place

Author: Boyo-2
14 September 1999

This movie is as great as any other from the 1970's. I was seventeen when this was released, so I saw it at least twenty times. John Travolta is grace personified on the dance floor and does very well with the drama too. The weakest link is Karen Lynn Gorney, but only her acting. The soundtrack is, of course, terrific in its own right.

Poorly edited, sloppy, and cringe worthy

Author: Erik Johnsgard from United States
27 June 2014

What did I just watch? Am I supposed to empathize with this character? This unappreciative, manipulative, cruel, violent, but oh-so-apologetic rapist? Is sexual assault okay if your dad is mean to you and your friend jumps off a bridge and you apologize for it? The protagonist of this movie is nothing less than abhorrent, his supposed redemption is a cheap, unearned, insulting sham.

Aside from the single good dance scene (which does NOT involve John Travolta) this film is an awkward mess of supposed class warfare, blue collar self aggrandizement, soft lighting (so romantic!), and explicit glorification of violence and rape. Don't be fooled by the "classic" nature this movie seems to have. Don't waste your time.

How disappointing

Author: Dragoneyed363 from United States
8 April 2009

I really didn't have any expectations on Saturday Night Fever, per say. I knew what kind of film I was getting into when I put it in because of all that I had read about it and heard about it, and I knew it was a big dance movie of the '70s, but I didn't have high hopes for it or vice versa; I was just expecting to enjoy it to an extent.

Well, it started off pretty ordinary. I was enjoying it on an average level and it was entertaining me. The dance scenes were really fun and cool and if you want the truth, the dances are really the only enjoyable things about this film. Other than that it is just so boring and uninteresting. I actually turned it off not even halfway through and then decided I guess I should finish it 2 days later because that's how unwilling I was to go on with it.

I like John Travolta, and in this movie, he was just so unbelievable and he really didn't convince me that what I was watching was real or convince to care for his character in any way. Everyone was so unconvincing and dull with their characters and just all around uninteresting that by the end of the film I actually had a bad taste left in my mouth. The script is definitely nothing to praise at all, and if you really think about the whole film it is just one, big, catastrophic mess. The reason I didn't give this lower is because of the dance scenes and I was intrigued at a handful of parts. Other than that, this sucks badly and I don't recommend it one bit...

If you are a movie lover, worth watching

Author: ally
23 May 2017

The movie Saturday Night Fever is one that I think every movie lover has to watch. If you are not much of a movie person it is probably not for you. I personally really liked the film. However, I did find some of the commentary slightly offensive. Specifically comments made about African Americans and gay people. There is also a rape scene towards the end. The lack of P.C.ness in this movie strongly reflects the time from which the movie came (1977). Regardless of some of the offensive terminology it is an enjoyable movie! Highly recommend.

Excellent disco film

Author: Andrew from Essex
27 April 2017

This drama film is about a 19-year-old working-class Italian-American who lives with his family in Brooklyn. He's unhappy at home and has a dead-end job. He lives for the weekend, when - due to his good looks and dancing ability - he's very popular at the disco that he goes to with his friends.

There's a PG version of this great film, which is very different and inferior to the original.

An Unappreciated Classic

Author: Negasonic_WoodChipper_Warhead from Canada
9 February 2017

This movie is not mainly about disco, it's just a setting for the characters.

Disco was fun, people were dancing and having fun, the 70's was probably more fun for most people because of it. You didn't have to like disco to go to a disco to be social and interact with people, but disco made that widely popular. Some of you reading this now probably owe your very existence to disco.

A lot of hate came from people who preferred rock, they were scared rock would vanish and be replaced by disco. But they didn't realize it would wear itself out on its own, just like rock has today. There are no real rock songs tearing up the charts now.

This movie was basically a classic from the moment it opened. The characters, the setting and the dialogue are up there with some of the best 70's movies. You can't fault a great movie for the era it takes place in. If you have never seen it because of some hang up like this, do yourselves a favor and see it. You may change your mind.

Excellent urban drama that is far more confrontational than many assume

Author: Red-Barracuda from Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
24 October 2016

Saturday Night Fever is a film whose image and reputation suggests something very different to what it turns out to be. It often sort of gets associated with John Travolta's other music themed blockbuster from the time, namely 1978's mega-hit Grease. But the similarities between the two are frankly entirely superficial, as where Grease is a feel-good musical that looks back nostalgically on a bygone era, Saturday Night Fever is a gritty urban drama with a music back-drop that takes a decidedly unglamorous contemporary look at the lives of a group of young city youths. Part of the reason folks sometimes forget SNF's true form is that a heavily circulated PG version of the film was released in cinemas very soon after its extremely popular soundtrack started selling millions, the idea being that loads of youngsters would flock to see this Travolta disco movie that was being promoted via the music charts with a constant string of smash hits. And the studio was right of course, so much so that this censored version even played TV for a good number of years too. So much so, I have to admit to being a little surprised when I finally saw the original version which had drug taking, some extremely frank sexual scenes, bloody violence and dialogue with healthy amounts of racist terms and full-on swearing. Needless to say, this original raw version is much preferable and makes for a tough and interesting bit of unsentimental drama.

Whatever the case, this was definitely the film that firmly put John Travolta on the map. His performance as Tony Manero is one of the most iconic of the 70's. This was the Brooklyn kid who isn't too bright and has a dead end existence, whose life is one of humiliations and restrictions. But due to his skills on the dance-floor of his local discotheque he is treated like a god. It's in many ways a coming-of-age story about a young man imprisoned by his environment and friends. It paints a very gritty portrait of 70's NYC and the young Italian-Americans at the centre of the story. It doesn't even glorify the disco era or experience, suggesting in fact that there were a good many unsavoury elements to that also. All these reasons make for a fairly complex and unpredictable drama with all characters having many flaws and feeling all the more real because of them.

It was also, for better or for worse, the film that moved disco from the underground to the mainstream. The soundtrack album sold astronomical numbers of records. The Bee Gees contributed four classic tracks, "Stayin' Alive", "Night Fever", "How Deep Is Your Love" and "More Than a Woman", all of which are integrated into the film very well. Obviously, the songs work well alongside the celebrated dance routines but, more importantly, the music was mixed in very well generally into the flow of what is contrastingly an often quite grim and confrontational drama. All-in-all, this is a film which would probably appeal to a lot of people who would never expect to like it in the first place, on the other hand it will also be too much of a downer for quite a lot of folks who think it's going to be right up their alley. Saturday Night Fever is certainly a film that will continue to confound a lot of expectations and its all the better for that.

Sex, drugs and disco.

Author: Casey from Hawaii
28 May 2016

John Travolta busts out when he busts a move, and I finally watched this for the first time on Netflix. I'm pretty shocked that it's not really about dancing, and seems to be more about growing up with a little bit of rape and racism.

Summary: I didn't take notes or anything when I watched it, so I have to give a very brief synopsis. Tony (Travolta) is a dancing God in his neighborhood, and he can slay whatever woman he wants. He has loyal fellow Italian-American friends in his group, and they all have a little taste for a little bit of drugs, a little bit of racism, and a whole lot of disco, even if there isn't as much dancing as you would expect in the movie. When Tony decides to enter a contest as if dancing "is the ticket out of here," like most "teenager has to get away from home" movies have. He falls for his dance partner, but she won't have him. Somewhere along the way, racial turmoil between his Italian friends and a rival Hispanic group of friends escalates, and one of his friends- who is a devout Catholic- knocks up some girl, which of course is terrifying. In the final minutes of the movie, the younger friend commits suicide right after the other two friends take turns with the obsessed girl in the backseat of the car, raping her in a short scene where she cries and wishes Tony would stop it. After a fight with the wrong people, the rape, the suicide, and even trying to rape his own love interest, Tony finally realizes maybe it's not jive to act like he has been.

Review: I'm not 70's era guy, so I don't know how well the movie captures the essence of disco for sure, but I think the movie does a pretty good job. And it has the feel that all critically acclaimed movies from a couple of generations ago have- that feel of just telling a story, and just letting it unfold. The story itself lends to the overarching themes, rather than over emphasis on a scene or a line or a particular frame. And though there are some times where the scenes are sort of saturated to show how Tony gets a high from dancing, the story is a rather poignant representation of what I suspect life was like in the 70's. Races were still widely divided. Women were second to men. Youths made rash decisions, and rarely considered the consequences. Well, I suppose that's not so secluded to the 70's after all, some may say, which is why Saturday Night Fever can certainly be found to still be relevant.

Regardless of the "era," it is in those moments that choices are made that lives truly unfold. And life is rarely much different: from the 70's to the 90's to the now, being good at one thing (dancing) doesn't mean a damn thing when you're not being good for something.

A hot dancer, dances the night away

Author: nayellibueno from United States
20 May 2016

This movie has literally changed my life for the better good. I was on the verge of killing myself until i heard the bee-gees sweet nectorous voices. They helped me believe in myself again. The moment I saw John Travolta in his hot little pants it almost stopped my already weak heart. My friends always shoot me down when I talk about the connection Johnny and I have, but it'll never cease our burning passionate love. Its a MUST SEE FLICK. You almost grow up and the movie shows John Travolta become a man and learn to love and older broad. The music really gets my blood pumping. Its the perfect soundtrack to listen to while giving birth or even driving to your orthodontist appointment. I have to find another man who will understand me and will want to dance to this at our wedding.