IMDb > The Rescuers (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Rescuers

The Rescuers More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

I remember it in '77. It was great. Saw it again. Still is.

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
5 September 2002

There is something really nice about seeing a cartoon film that you know was hand drawn, without a speck of CGI anyplace(too early!). The voices here carry the day-Newhart, Gabor, Page, Fibber MaGee, little turns by Pat Buttram, Dub Taylor, Jeannette Nolan, etc. All fine.

Film still has a lotta heart, the songs aren't bad, the backgrounds muted and not in your face. I remember seeing the sequel (in Aussie from '90)-the character held up but it wasn't as involving.

Test for a flick like this is to see if it holds up after some years. Well I had not seen it for about 24 years or so, and ya know what? It still works very well.

Came from the mid-period team of Disney, post-Jungle Book and pre-Mermaid, a rather hit and miss era-this one stands out quite well.

*** outta ****

My favorite Disney movie of all time

Author: xxlittlekittenxx from United States
21 February 2003

Why is The Rescuers my favorite Disney movie? I'm not sure, other than the fact that it's just so sweet, and never fails to make me really happy. Seeing those mice from all over the world is just too adorable for words!

The animation is beautiful, as are the backgrounds, and the character design is some of the best among Disney movies (Madame Medusa is a great departure from typical Disney characters). The songs are nice too (my favorite part of the whole movie is the sequence to "Tomorrow Is Another Day").

They just don't make movies like this anymore. Penny, the orphan that Bernard and Bianca rescue from that nasty old Medusa, is truly warm and sweet, and you really care about her. Something was missing from the boy that Bernard and Bianca rescued in the sequel. Penny's truly something else.

The Rescuers is an underrated gem, and has something for everyone.

Pure Disney blockbuster

Author: Grace Zeh (filmgirlgz@gmail.com) from Chantilly, Virginia, USA
18 January 2006

THE RESCUERS, in my opinion, is a pure Disney blockbuster. It made me feel all warm and tingly when Bernard (voice of Bob Newhart) and Bianca (voice of Eva Gabor) set out on their mission to rescue Penny (voice of Michelle Stacy). If you ask me, Medusa's (voice of Geraldine Page) clothing was nice, but her hair was absolutely atrocious. To me, it really did look like snakes. That made it obvious as to why her name was Medusa. Before I wrap this up, I'd like to say that everyone was perfectly cast, the direction was flawless, and Disney has scored a big hit. In conclusion, I highly recommend this pure Disney blockbuster to everyone who hasn't seen it. I guarantee you you'll enjoy it.

Such a charming film!

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
27 February 2009

I can't fault this movie at all, other than to say the video I have is a bit grainy. The film is undeniably charming, based on the books by Margery Sharp, which I haven't read.

The animation was just wonderful, right from minute one. It was dark and fluid, and reminded me of the masterpieces of Don Bluth like American Tail and Secret of NIMH. It matched the music perfectly, and none of the characters were drawn stereotypically. I loved the fact they made the protagonists mice, which shows a lot of originality. I was laughing so much at the swamp animals scene, as it looked so ridiculous. Another funny scene was the one with the crocs playing the pipe organ, and then Medussa starts shooting the place down.

The songs were outstanding, and beautifully sung by Shelby Flint. I've heard criticisms that the songs were lifeless and slow, but I strongly disagree. The song at the beginning "The Journey" was beautiful beyond words, as was "Someone's Waiting For You", the one with Penny crying on the boat deck. They were truly emotional and haunting, and often misunderstood by people.

The characters were really funny and engaging, especially the two crocodiles, and Orville(especially when he cries "Mayday, Mayday!")Bernard was brilliantly voiced by Bob Newhart, likewise Bianca by beautiful Hungarian actress Eva Gabor. Penny was really sweet, but the scene-stealer was Geraldine Page as Madam Medussa, who was such a convincing villainess, very sinister yet absolutely hilarious. She reminds me of Ursula from the Little Mermaid.

The script was both touching and funny, with the dialogue between Madame Medussa and Snoops sparkling like bubbles on top of a champagne glass and the story is compelling and beautifully told. All in all, I recommend this and the sequel (which isn't quite as good). 10/10.Bethany Cox

Pure gold

Author: Katie P from United States
7 September 2011

I may be the only person to say this but I think The Rescuers was a LOT better than the sequel. Oh don't get me wrong, Down Under's pretty good. But, to me, The Rescuers is the best.

Since I was a little kid, I have had a short attention span so movies with more action generally held my attention. The Rescuers and the Pooh films were the two exceptions for me. This isn't a very fast moving film, at times it's quite slow. But that's when the tension builds. You feel a certain warmth watching it, similar to the warm fuzzies you would get from a Pooh film. It's sweet. It's fun. The characters are lovable and the villains are detestable (I mean Madame Medusa kidnaps an innocent little girl and then forces her to go into a dangerous pirate cave, if that isn't evil, I don't know what is). Even the supporting cast is awesome, if not entirely memorable. I think there were too many critters at Devil's Bayou, had they cut the cast down a bit, perhaps I could remember them all. But that's literally my only complaint.

The film is slow but it doesn't feel slow. It doesn't lag at all. It keeps you completely focused on the characters. By the way, the acting is superb, particularly Michelle Stacy as Penny. Usually child actors are hit and miss but she does an excellent job, she really makes you feel for Penny and that's the most important part. Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor as Bernard and Bianca. They really bring the characters to life.

The animation is beautiful as well. It all seems like a painting come to life. I am particularly impressed with Bernard and Bianca's animation because they look a lot like their voice actors. So you can't imagine a better voice for them. You often forget that they're mice. And that's really impressive.

So, all in all, this is one of Disney's best. Ever. It's proof that the animation studio was still going strong after Walt Disney's death. And it's still one of my all time favorite movies. I say, check it out. There's something for everyone in it.

One of the great Disney gems from the 1970's

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
21 July 2007

The 23rd animated Disney classic is underrated and somewhat forgotten, yet one of Disney's finest! It's a great movie, even one of Disney's finest underrated works.

This charming film, while undoubtedly heartwarming, is also creative and very lively. It has lots of adventure and suspense, classic humor, fine artwork, a wonderful soundtrack and a dark atmosphere. When I say "dark" I mean dark in the sense of being somewhat chilly, but without being extremely dark or a story of horror/terror. The darkness of the Devil's Bayou is amazing, creepy to the point of almost looking like a forbidding place, which helps a lot to create this distinct atmosphere.

Despite the apparent simplicity, this motion picture has some very artistic palette colors. One good example of this is the amazing and gorgeous opening sequence. The beautiful but sad song 'The Journey' matches in perfection.

The song 'Tomorrow is another day' is very optimistic and nostalgic. Not just that, it fits perfectly on that sequence: beautiful vistas painted with heart and soul. Besides, that rainbow and those New York City lights at night look incredibly real.

The song 'Someone's waiting for you' is heartwarming, but so is the sequence itself. 'The U.S. Air Force' is a delightful instrumental music, very energetic and full of life.

Medusa is a great villain. One of Disney's best villains, says I. She's mean and nasty, but at the same time funny (even hilarious at times). She is a little eccentric but not too much and not annoying. Besides, she isn't too sinister or one of the most cruel villains.

Medusa's sidekick, Snoops, is someone I don't consider a real villain. He's not bad enough to be a villain and he doesn't know how to be bad, although he attempts. I think that deep down he is a good guy. I like Snoops: he's a simple and goofy guy but funny (even hilarious at times) and not that bad. He's more of a poor guy who messed with the wrong person.

By the way, Medusa and Snoops have a nice pawn shop named "Medusa's pawn shop" or, like Medusa delightfully says on the telephone, «Madame Medusa's pawn shop boutique».

Comical characters like Luke and the albatross Orville have small roles, perhaps because this movie is more of a dramatic natured one. Numerous swamp animals appear (others than Luke), but their roles are minor (with the exception of Ellie Mae and Evinrude).

Bernard is the kind of romantic and shy hero. Bianca has a characteristic hungarian charm (her voice actress, Eva Gabor, was hungarian). Orville is carefree and spirited, as well as a comic relief. Like albatrosses in real life, he flies beautifully but is very bad at landings.

Evinrude's sounds are awesome. They sound so real! I have no words to describe them! James MacDonald really had a gift for sounds.

Penny was apparently modeled after Michelle Stacy, the cute little girl who did her voice. Penny is cute and has a very cute voice. People sympathize with Penny and her situation in the film, yet despite being very endearing she is also confident and has a strong personality - something which Snoops doesn't know how to deal with.

The crocodiles Nero and Brutus are hilarious in every scene they appear. I don't know why, but there is something hilarious about them even just by looking at them. They are at their most hilarious when they play organ. And those rascals really know how to play talent, LOL. They have talent for music, LOL! Besides, although they are Medusa's loyal pets, they are good crocodiles and not vicious. Whenever they catch Penny, they always grab her carefully not to harm her. And they are just as careful with her beloved teddy bear. Even in the water they have special care with her and her teddy bear.

A very good and timeless Disney classic! This is one of those animated classics I grew up with - and 'The Rescuers Down Under' too. Both were part of my childhood.

1977 was one of the best years in cinema ever!

This should definitely be on Top 250.

Highly underrated

Author: wildanimals from United Kingdom
17 October 2007

Movies like The Rescuers are simply not made anymore. Nowadays, it's all CGI with retarded, unfunny jokes, with no real seriousness or conflict to be found. The Rescuers has all that it says in the tagline - Mystery, Fun and Intrigue! Despite what others say, this truly deserves to be called a masterpiece.

The very idea of two little mice saving an orphan girl sounds very juvenile and slushy - but here, it isn't. The Rescuers combines dark themes such as child exploitation to light refreshing comedy which does not detract from the seriousness of the whole film. Benard and Bianca are very admirable characters, and the swamp creatures are hilarious. Madame Medusa is an excellent villainness. She's intimidating and funny at the same time. There are plenty of colourful characters, Brutus and Nero, the two crocodiles, Orville the albatross and Penny, the sweet yet strong spirited little girl.

The animation is typical scratchy 70s style, but the backgrounds are really top-notch, especially in the swamp scenes. They portray a foreboding atmosphere that works well in the appropriate scenes. The paintings shown in the opening credits were inspirational. There are not many songs in The Rescuers, which is probably one of the reasons why it's such a serious film. The soundtrack is fits in well, and nobody bursts into song. 'Someone's waiting for You' is one of the fews songs that moves me to tears. It is just so touching and beautiful.

Sure, it's not entirely loyal to Magery Sharp's books, but who cares? You might as well just get mad at 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail,' because that doesn't stay loyal to the original Arthurian legend. The Rescuers is a true delight, and deserves a much better DVD than Disney has given it.

Disney's new animators get off to a good start

Author: Neil Doyle from U.S.A.
19 March 2001

'The Rescuers' marked the advent of a new team of Disney animators taking over in 1977 as nine of the "old men" faced retirement. Under the guidance of the old pros, they turned out a charming fantasy about two adventurous mice (Bianca and Bernard) who set about to rescue a young girl (Penny) from the clutches of the villainess (Madame Medusa). As voiced by Geraldine Page, she all but steals the show--although Bianca and Bernard are perfectly voiced by Eva Gabor and Bob Newhart. A completely delightful Disney hit, welcome after some let-downs, and fortunately there would be more hits in the '80s and '90s. Don't underestimate this one. It has plenty of action, suspense and even a few nice songs--nothing spectacular, in keeping with the quiet nature of much of the story. This was a big box-office hit at time of release and led to a sequel, 'The Rescuers Down Under'. It may not be Disney's best, but it has a good amount of humor and charm. The animation is superb.

Disney at its best.

Author: fregle from Belgium
5 May 2011

Many years have gone by since I've seen this movie for the last time, and I'm always slightly afraid when re-viewing movies I liked a lot as a child, but this movie has actually become even better now that I'm an 'adult'. Everything you would expect from Disney is in this movie, and it delivers the goods in spades and without missing a beat.

First of all we expect a warm cuddly at-home-with-a-fire-burning feeling from any Disney movie, but without being too sticky and/or fluffy, and this one hits this balance just right. The protagonists are all very nice people but they don't come off as too perfect, Bianca has a mischievous streak a mile wide (with delightfully anti-pc messages like "I run red lights all the time") and Bernard would prefer being a coward to being a hero if he wasn't shamed into coming along for the ride. Even Penny has some sharp edges (if you can call them that). The antagonists come off as real people though the true viciousness of reality is of course shaved off (and this to exactly the right point so they don't become too tame either), which is a very big plus for this movie as far as adults are concerned (this must be one of the reasons Medusa has such an enduring charisma). Only the very best Disney movies pull this off so this is really one of the reasons this movie is 'up there' in my opinion. And all those characters have a real Disney feel to them as well...

Second we expect technical miracles, and on that point this movie scores very big. The animation on the Albatros is spot on, a curtain rail coming apart is a delight to see, and I could go on like that for a while, but the scenes with the rocket-boat trump all those scenes, if you look at it today you would think it was made with cell-shaded 3D models (a la Futurama), but this was 1977... To do all those rotations so perfectly (sometimes of several components in several different directions, like the constantly swiveling headlights) must have cost a lot of sweat blood and tears...

Third we expect great action sequences (which ties in with the technical miracles), and here this movie really shines out yet again. The action sequences are all very well choreographed, I couldn't find a single detail that annoyed me, but on the other hand there are tons of details that I love. The best example I can think of is the organ sequence for the way they tie in the music with the action.

Fourth we expect an engrossing storyline, which is probably the achilles heel of this movie. It isn't a very big story, nor are there any side-plots (well, maybe some very tiny ones). It is well-executed though, the screenplay did the most with what the story had to offer. Luckily I've seen and remembered this movie as a child, so I believe I can say that it is very effective towards its target audience, and that is all it needs to be. I'm not an expert in storytelling for children, it's an art all on its own...

Lastly we expect some good messages, ones that are nice without being too pc or too goody-goody, and without saying what the central messages are, I can say that they are all perfectly balanced, and that they don't all lose their relevancy once you become an adult. I also want to put in a special note for the surprising anti-pc messages in this movie (very very rare in movies for children these days), those really delighted me as an adult, and I seem to have completely missed them as a child, even the ones about home-brewn hard liquor. ;)

A top Disney movie for people aged 7 to 77.

Adventurous rescue mission from Disney!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
24 October 2013

This is a rescue mission movie from Disney, a story about two mice named Bernard and Miss Bianca from the Rescue Aid Society out to rescue a kidnapped, orphaned girl named Penny from two devious treasure hunters, Madame Medusa and Mr. Snoops. They want to use Penny to help them find a gigantic diamond from an old Pirate's cave.

It is like a daring and fun detective movie, but with animals serving as the protagonists. It's non-stop adventure from Bernard and Miss Bianca looking for clues leading to Penny's whereabouts to them facing the notorious Madame Medusa and her two crafty pet alligators at their hideout in Devil's Bayou.

I love the songs in this movie: "Tomorrow is Another Day," sung while the two mice are riding Orville as he transports them to Devil's Bayou, is a very relaxing and optimistic song, reminding you that there is always a tomorrow giving you a chance to accomplish things. "Someone's Waiting for You" is a heartwarming and hopeful song, reminding you to always stay strong and keep your faith.

All the characters, especially the critters, are lovable and memorable. The subplot of Penny looking for adoptive parents is interwoven into the main plot very well, expanding on Penny's unfortunate, but courageous character.

This movie is probably the more obscure of Disney films as it does not utilize the fairytale method, but is nonetheless one of the more exciting Disney features that would sure delight an audience of all ages.

Grade A