IMDb > Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown

best peanuts ever

Author: nacelle69 from United Kingdom
3 October 2005

Definitely the best Charlie Brown film ever. Chuck and the whole peanuts gang are off to summer camp. Superb animation sequence with Snoopy and Woodstock arriving by motorcycle. As usual Peppermint Patty wants to be in control of everything, but this is a movie were everyone gets to do their bit. Linus standing up to the bullies is particularly funny. ( amazing what he does with that blanket). The music is brilliant and the songs will have your kids singing along. I don't want to give to much of the plot away but suffice to say Chuck really saves the day. He's what we all know he really is "a hero". Your children, like mine, will watch this film over and over again. DELIGHTFUL. Will be buying DVD version when released.

1977 was definitely a glorious year in cinema

Author: Atreyu_II from The world of artists
6 February 2008

The year of 1977 was definitely a triumphant one. That year brought us timeless classics like "Pete's Dragon", "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", "The Rescuers", "The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh" and this "Race for your life, Charlie Brown".

"Race for your life, Charlie Brown" is the 3rd of the Peanuts's specials and one of their best. The story is relatively simple and predictable, but who cares? The movie is great fun, very entertaining, thrilling, exciting and funny. Besides, the artwork is pretty good (great colorful sceneries).

As for the soundtrack, the song "Race for your life, Charlie Brown", which plays in the opening and final credits, is nice. Aside that, there's very few when it comes to soundtrack - one of those few exceptions is a piano solo by Schroeder.

The whole story has lots of amusement and classic humor. One of the most different things about this movie is that it features the whole Peanuts gang... or at least pretty close to that.

In this story, the gang goes to a Summer camp at the Rogue River (in Oregon). Their main aim is to compete in a river rafting race. The gang is in separate groups: the boys (Charlie Brown, Linus, Schroeder and Franklin), the girls (Lucy, Sally, Marcie and Peppermint Patty as the leader), Snoopy and Woodstock and last, 3 bullies and their vicious cat.

Our friends live many adventures and face many challenges in this race, including to get lost in numerous places and to confront the schemes of the 3 bullies and their weird cat (a malicious cat, very much like Lucifer from Walt Disney's "Cinderella"). The bullies win everything by cheating and apparently that is the only explanation for their success. In the end, although Woodstock is the only one to cross the finish line, at least the bullies get what they deserve - they do not win! The Peanuts gang doesn't win, but the bullies don't win either.

Peppermint Patty is funnier than usual here. But still, she can be quite irritating sometimes, temperamental, hostile and unfair towards the boys, especially Charlie Brown, and it happens a few times here either. Nevertheless, funny or not, she's always a tomboy for me.

Sally Brown is childish in a funny way, while Lucy tends to be often annoying and, of course, often accuses Charlie Brown of being a blockhead.

Linus... woah! I just love the way he slams the bullies and their cat with his blanket as if he was doing martial arts! I never thought I'd see something like this someday! Simply hilarious!

Oh yes, and it's funny when the bus forgets Charlie Brown twice and he begs «Wait! Don't forget me!», leaving Charlie Brown with no choice but to hitch a ride on Snoopy's Harley Davidson-like motorcycle. It's hilarious when he screams like that at the beginning because Snoopy is driving very fast. Poor Chuck! He's got so much lack of luck, but at the same time this makes Peanuts so funny.

This movie has yet delightful and hilarious scenes with Snoopy and Woodstock, of course. I adore whenever they say «Hey!» to each other.

"Race for your life, Charlie Brown" is one of Peanuts's classics, almost as good as "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and don't come back!)". Truly a shame that both "Race for your life, Charlie Brown" and "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and don't come back!)" are still not available on DVD. These two animated jewels deserve to be on DVD.

This should definitely be on Top 250.

The Brightest of the Peanuts Movies

Author: LVJeff from Los Angeles
20 April 2000

If there were common themes uniting the four Peanuts movies, I would most readily point out two of them: a going-against-the-odds theme and an adventurous spirit. For the other three movies, those themes were accompanied by a theme of darkness. In fact, one couldn't help but feel lonely as Charlie Brown spent the night studying in a big city in "A Boy Named Charlie Brown"; as Snoopy got kicked out of place after place in "Snoopy Come Home"; or as Charlie Brown and Linus encountered a dark, daunting chateau in "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown."

And so it was great to see that for this movie, they decided to lighten it up. The result is bright and delightful! Part of the way the mood is set in the other movies is the use night and isolation; that can create the scene for adventure, but there is always a scary side there. Although there is a little of that in this movie, one remembers it more for the scenes of the Peanuts gang interacting and encountering fun/peril on the rapids or making the best of a bad situation while lost in the woods. This one has more comedy and action than any of the other Peanuts movies, and it all makes for an enjoyable ride.

Perhaps the best part of the movie is that fact that you finally get to see all the major members of the Peanuts gang play off of each other (the other movies each concentrated on a few of the characters). They antagonize a lot, and then learn to stick it out together in the spirit of teamwork. Few things are as fun as taking a group of extreme and different personalities, forcing them together, and watching them go. Some of the funniest scenes are when the girls' team wrangle over the strategies involved in the raft race. It's hilarious!

This is easily my favorite of the Peanuts movies, and, for me, one of the great examples of what kinds of great comedic/dramatic situations one can draw from a diverse cast of characters. Not nearly as dark in mood as the others, Race For Your Life is punctuated with gags and back-dropped against the sun and nature. Perhaps one of the only major drawbacks of the movie is the evident proof of Schulz's own claim that he can't draw cats!

Cute, funny, and fun for the family.

Author: ultramatt2000-1 from Orlando, Florida
6 February 2004

The year was 1977. Dino Dellaurentiis' KING KONG gets "King Cloned". There was a UFO that can communicate with music? We were introduced to STAR WARS. And Charlie Brown is standing up for what he wants, and gets leadership. We finally see CB get into action! And for the first time in the film series, we get to see villains. These 3 bullies are Charles Schultz's answer to The Three Stooges. They have a mean cat with them. And for the first time, we get to hear adult voices. None of this muted trumpet voices like in SNOOPY COME HOME (1972). Sally is whiney, and Peppermint Patty gets to do some democratic business. There are some morals in this film. No one likes a cheater, look before you leap, and no matter how big or small you are, you can do mighty things like winning, plus get tough, and take action. Also never give up until you do. Parents show this film to your kids. This teaches them to be brave, leadership, and get assertive. Now there is something about the cat. He appeared cameo in SNOOPY: THE MUSICAL (1988), but was he The Cat Next Door? Or a speices of cat whose scientific name is "felinius destructivus horribillis". The waterbed sequence with Peppermint Patty and Snoopy was edited into the opening sequence of THE CHARLIE BROWN AND SNOOPY SHOW (1983-1985). It seems to me that watching the Peanuts films is like watching the specials. The closing credits were different form the previous Peanuts films. It looks like something a bit Terry Gilliam-esque, mixed with psychadellic. This film should be released on DVD, with commentary by Lee Mendleson and Bill Millendez, theatrical trailer, TV ads, and when you click on "play movie", you see the 70's "Our Feature Presintation" clip before the picture starts. Plus trailers to other Peanuts films. Or better yet, a box set with the 4 theatrical Peanuts films. I don't to got to camp, because, it is not my gig. I'd rather go to the disco.

Delightful

Author: jonpd from San Diego, CA
30 October 2002

Regardless of all the cartoons appearing on television and video in the 1980s, I was always stuck on this delightful Peanuts feature. Wonderful animation and a great story make for the best Peanuts feature ever produced. 10/10

A very positive and uncommonly pleasant Charlie Brown Film

Author: ENDING-MAN from United States
8 January 2005

This is a positive, enlightening film that, until recently I almost forgot about. It's significantly less static than most other Charlie Brown films and programs such as The Great Pumpkin, even though it has been edited and is less static now. Charlie Brown is actually now a kid who has a solid ego. It is after he discovers the cabin and spends the night is where he develops his most significant leadership qualities. This is not a commonly shown movie and other movies maintain the stereotype that Charlie Brown is a sorry sucker. This is a great movie for kids to watch because of it's character and originality. The movie doesn't a bad soundtrack, either. The songs are lively and pompous. In short I think this is one of the best family/kids movie I have ever seen and I'd recommend it to any fan of Charlie Brown movies.

Says, THE ENDING MAN

Fantastic!

Author: pleiades10 from Woodbridge, VA
15 November 2000

This is the only Charlie Brown full length motion picture I have ever watched, but I believe I have seen it at least 20 times by now. I caught it on Thanksgiving Day afternoon on channel 7 in Washington DC around 1983 or so, and have been compelled to stop and watch it every time I see it, ever since.

The plot centers around the Peanuts gang going to a summer camp, where a group of punk kids and a nasty, mangy cat are intent on humiliating the other kids, and winning the raft race. The Peanuts gang competes in the race, with the guys (Charlie Brown, Schroeder, Linus, and Franklin) sharing one raft, the girls (Lucy, Sally, Peppermint Patty, and Marcie) sharing another raft, and Snoopy and Woodstock having their own raft. Of course, mishaps ensue and the gang ends up working together to defeat the bullies.

This movie really has what a lot of real life movies don't have. Perfect comic timing. There's so many hilarious scenes... Snoopy rides in the abandoned tire, the debate over cold cereal for breakfast, Charlie Brown is promoted to leader of the gang but can't get a word in edgewise due to Peppermint Patty ("That's IT CHUCK!!! You're LEADING!!! BOY WHAT A LEADER!!!!! LEAD ON CHUCK!!!!"), Lucy's insistence on doing things democratically ("The question before the group is... Do we have the boys join us? Marcie! Prepare the secret ballots!!!").

Highly entertaining. Charles Schultz has done his characters proud.

a river runs through the "Peanuts" gang

Author: Lee Eisenberg (lee.eisenberg.pdx@gmail.com) from Portland, Oregon, USA
3 December 2012

Charlie Brown and company go to summer camp and then have to compete with some bullies on a river-rafting trip. Most "Peanuts"-based movies are pure comedy, but "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" does turn a little more serious when Snoopy and Woodstock get separated during a storm. But for the most part, it's pure humor (partly owing to Peppermint Patty's insistence on voting, no matter how trivial the issue). It goes to show that Charles Schulz (who would've turned 90 last week) never lost his touch. To be certain, this movie allows Charlie Brown to find his inner strength when he becomes the leader.

No, it's not a masterpiece, but it's definitely fun. Some scenes look thrown in for comic relief, namely the water-bed, and Snoopy's motorcycle ride. Pretty neat.

2011 & Race For Your Life Charlie Brown has even yet to be mentioned!

Author: Gary DeLozier (DELOZ@webtv.net) from United States
12 March 2011

Here it is 2011! "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown" has even yet to be mentioned. When it is released, with all the strain it seems for the rights owners to do so, I doubt they will ever remaster it, the colors could be bumped up and the late seventies sound could use some manicuring. The entire gang, camping, rafting, through desert and wood, Snoopy and Woodstock on a chopper, multicolor ending. Why have they put this ultimate Charlie Brown Movie out to pasture. Please let me know if there are Any further possibilities on it's being released. I have stopped purchasing anything "Peanuts" "Snoopy" or "Charlie Brown" since the Remastering of "A Charlie Brown Christmas" due to the Non-Release of this, my third favorite Peanuts Movie. Fantastic remastering!

Thanks People, VOTE for "Race For Your Life Charlie Brown" on tvshowsondvd.com

Gary

"Peanuts" never fails to amuse, delight, charm, and make you grin from ear to ear

Author: TheUnknown837-1 from United States
19 July 2010

"Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" is the third of four feature-length movies based on the beloved comic strip "Peanuts" by the great Charles M. Schulz. It precedes "Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (and don't come back!!!) and follows "Snoopy, Come Home" and the marvelous, underrated classic "A Boy Named Charlie Brown." For the third film, the animation quality was taken down a notch, but the real charm of "Peanuts", the comic strip and the specials, was never in the visual look. It was all in the story, in the characters, in the gags, and dignity of everything that Schulz created. And this short and delightful little movie captures that effectively.

A common recurring theme in the "Peanuts" universe is summer camp, where Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty, and sometimes others go to the remote woods and uncover fall into challenges, predicaments, and situations, all to the amusement of the audience. Here's a feature-length movie based on that. Charlie Brown and all of his pals are sent to summer camp and are pitted against a group of bullies and their rascally pet (I wasn't sure if it was a dog or a cat) in a river raft race. The race consumes most of the movie's running time as Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus, Lucy, and the others make their way through the wilderness and as usual, our round-headed protagonist, is trying to find a way to stand up for himself and prove that he's not a born loser.

The story for "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" could have been done effectively in a half-hour short, as it very well may have been originally intended. Even at a feature-length running time, it still comes off as very amusing. The charm of "Peanuts" was its ability to never fail at amusing you, delighting you, charming you, and making you grin positively from ear to ear. And I was grinning and laughing all the way through. The voice acting is considerably good as well. The only real complaint that I do have about the movie is that the animation quality has been taken down a notch from the previous two movies and the animated specials. It seems a little incomplete, a little sketchy to me and a little rushed. At times, for example, Linus's head would be of the appropriate proportion to his body, but at other times, it would seem to oversize itself.

From an effective opening to a most effective ending, "Race for Your Life, Charlie Brown" is another example of the countless charm that rectifies Charles M. Schulz as one of the true creative geniuses of all time. Well-directed by Bill Melendez, this is a sweet little family movie that will charm and engage adults at the same time it works its wonders on children.