IMDb > A Circle of Children (1977) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

A Circle of Children (TV) More at IMDbPro »

You might want to grab some tissues

Author: kmacph (kmacph@shaw.ca) from British Columbia, Canada
14 October 2001

This is by far one of the best t.v. movies I have ever seen. I saw A Circle of Children for the first time when I was about 7 years old. It proves that special needs children can do anything they choose to if people would just take time and have patience with them while they learn. I highly recommend seeing this movie if you ever get the chance. I would love to see it again.

Amazing movie

Author: Texaswondergirl from United States
6 August 2014

One of the best movies about special needs children ever. As a special ed teacher, I particularly love movies like this. The acting is good for a 70s movie. It is one of the movies that I saw as a child that inspired me to teach special needs children. It is based on the book, a Circle of Children. Mary McCracken begins as a volunteer in a harsh teachers special ed classroom. At first all she seems to do is cause problems with the children. However over time she becomes very attached to the children and begins to make a real Difference in their lives. One of the best parts is when she discovers the way a young boy (Albert from Little House on the Prairie ) is trying to communicate.

This movie is wonderful

Author: luvbearbut from United States
13 April 2009

I remember seeing this movie and it's companion sequel "Lovey: A Circle of Children II" as a youngster and found them very moving, if not for anything other than the fact that they were both such wonderful stories and so well acted. I haven't seen them in years since the networks rarely if ever repeat them. I find it bewildering that neither of them have yet to be made available on VHS or DVD given that fact that the first was nominated for an Emmy. I don't recall specifics of the plots, only certain powerful moments. The plot's vehicle is Jane Alexander's character Mary Maccracken and her initial overwhelming impressions of the realities of dealing with emotionally disturbed children. Along the way she becomes close to fellow employees of the hospital, including the head teacher Helga who clues her into what is really important in dealing with such special needs children. Helga's eventual dismissal from the hospital by the state because of her emphasis on the kids' emotional needs over the state's robotic, standardized, intellectual requirements, give Mary even more determination and compassion to go above and beyond to help the kids with their special needs. The first movie includes a story about a boy who "seems" to be unable to communicate with the world around him through normal conversation and only utters loud, non understandable, gibberish causing his parents or anyone with him great frustration. The word "seems" is key here and it takes Mary a bit of time and intuition to discover what the boy's gibberish is really all about. Jane Alexander beautifully brings her character and these movies to life and make these two stories an engaging four hours of movie watching.

LIFTS THE HEART MOVIE

Author: bjrlk from woodbridge, VA
27 November 1999

This is an excellent old movie that our family enjoyed many times. All I can say is too bad it is not showing today. My son and I watched this movie every time it came on. He was about 7 or 8 yrs old at the time. The movie is the story of a little boy who talks in the form of jibberish. Thought to be retarded, a teacher takes an interest in him & the results are amazing. Can't tell more, would give away the story. See it if possible.