IMDb > Bruce Lee, the Legend (1984) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Bruce Lee, the Legend More at IMDbPro »

interesting, but very incomplete

Author: rdoyle29 from Winnipeg, Canada
19 September 2003

A tribute to the incomparable kung-fu master. It includes rare footage of his athletic capabilities and interviews with some of the people who knew him. Produced by Golden Harvest, it is light on details of Lee's early life and heavy on the details of his films for Golden Harvest. As such, it leaves out several interesting and important incidents from Lee's life, and gives short shrift to what is arguably Lee's most important film "Enter the Dragon". It also focuses heavily on some of his co-stars from his early Hong King films, and makes no mention of his most prominent co-stars, Chuck Norris and John Savage. It's difficult to say just who its intended audience is since dedicated Lee fans will find it uninformative, yet casual fans may find the immense amount of detail about his early films tedious.

An interesting movie for Bruce Lee fans and others

Author: kenneymljken from U.S.
13 December 2000

The film that would make me a life long fan of Bruce Lee, who died two years before my birth. Although my further studies would later prove this documentary to be a little underdeveloped and one-sided, but those who are willing to suspend their disbelief might find this to be an interesting watch. Golden Harvest truly knows how to immortalize its former star.

New information hadn't heard before about Bruce Lee.

Author: guyster-2 from Alberta, Canada
9 February 2000

This documentary included footage from movies Bruce Lee made as a child. I didn't know he started making movies when he was 6 years old. The movie definately shows him in a very positive way; they only mention some of the rumors in passing. There are film clips throughout which made it more interesting. If you like Bruce or martial arts films, this is a movie worth seeing.

Good If Not Definitive

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
12 January 2015

Bruce Lee, the Legend (1984)

*** (out of 4)

Good, 90-minute documentary taking a look at the life, career of death of martial arts legend Bruce lee.

BRUCE LEE, THE LEGEND is without question a good documentary that features some wonderful stuff but there's no question that it falls well short of being the definitive film out there. I will be the first to admit that I don't know too much about Lee and while this documentary answered many questions, it still left me wonderful a lot more. I think the strengths of the film include some of the wonderful footage we get of various movies from Lee's childhood. We learn that his father was a professional actor and we get to see some terrific clips from some early Hong Kong movies. Even better is that we get to see a lot of behind-the-scenes footage to his films including THE BIG BOSS, THE Chinese CONNECTION and THE WAY OF THE DRAGON.

There's a lot of good information given about the actor's personal life, his rise to fame and why even Steve McQueen was amazed by his talents. The documentary does have some very weak spots including the direction, which is just all over the place. While the stories being told are entertaining, there's no doubt that the way they're told is a bit off and the overall film just doesn't have a very good pace to it. Still, thanks to the footage, fans of Lee will still want to check this out.

Bruce Lee is the Legend

Author: Payback1016 from Canada
8 January 2010

I come to think of this film as "the first 48" of Bruce lee documentaries, because although it was released 4 years after his death it was still fresh in the viewers mind at the time, and that most documentaries sometimes, not lie, but dilute the truth depending on the year it was done while others give us insight on stuff we haven't heard of. this one was the latter because it was the most recent of the decade it told us about a lot of his movies before leaving for the states as well as interviews from one of his instructors, pictures of costume tests for future films and to top it off, demonstrations of his Gung fu book. I even found it surprising that it only has been four years since his action films and death, that people already called him a legend when most historical figures would take more than 10 - 1000 years. Between those times it used to be person to rumour, rumour to myth, myth to legend. Bruce lee skipped rumour and myth and was in the legend category earlier than Heracles completed his first deed. Good documentary