Alaap (1977) Poster

(1977)

4 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
The same but different movie
Mausam18 February 2002
This is a different Hrishikesh Mukherjee. This movie where empathises with the Indian musicians on one hand, also brings out the tale of a son of a rich father who takes a stand against his father. The movie has some really beautiful music (mostly light Hindustani classical) and of course has the battle to live poor and dying than to ask support from the father.

Can't say its a must-see for everybody. I don't even know why I love it so much other than the music. But still there is something in it that brings me back at it, probably my respect for the musicians or probably my lack of strength to take a stand like that.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Alaap 1977 . One of my favorite classics
juware11 September 2009
This movie is a great masterpiece. Light Hindustani Classical beautifully rendered by Yesudas, Lata and others. On the top of it, all the relationships between different characters. Amazing performance by all stars. In one of the scenes Amitabh (as Alok) gives ride to his father in his Horse cart. There are exchange of few dialogues between both noteworthy. Amitabh is at the top performer like his 70's work like Namka Haram, Sanjog and Saudagar like he proves he is not only action hero but has other talents to show.

Rekha, Asrani, Farida Jalal and Sanjeev Kumar well supported him. One of the songs which is available on LP was dropped from movie was "Zindagi Ko Sanwarna" by Yesudas. A must see movie.. I have to admit that I have cried few times.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
i love this movie!
hellisotherpeople16 March 2004
This movie deals with class warfare with a backdrop of music. The soundtrack of Alaap is incredibly good.There are numerous classical gems. Amitabh has never acted better in his career.He epitomises the struggling musician type to the T. Chaya Devi is sublime, not only her acting but her character in this movie is heartwrenching. Warning to all tho- this is a complete tearjerker,.,come ready with hankies..!! Rekha is good but not memorable.

6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another great film by Hrishikesh Mukherjee - Amitabh team
silvan-desouza20 April 2014
ALAAP is another combo of Hrishikesh Mukherjee and Amitabh Bachchan The film is a story of a musician who has a friction with his father who wants him to be a lawyer. The film is well handled again by Hrishida, with the right emotions and several subplots which are well dealt. The friction with the father and son is well handled, Previously in Namak Haram too Hrishi had explored that angle but not as much as here. The characters of Farida Jalal, Sanjeev Kumar(cameo) too are well handled The film does drag at times but yet is superb

Direction is superb Music is good, though it didn't have a big hit score, in this film Yesudas sings for Bachchan

Amitabh Bachchan is brilliant in his role, giving it the right pathos and sincerity,Rekha is good in a brief role,Om Prakash is superb Sanjeev Kumar is good in a cameo, Farida Jalal is superb, Asrani in a serious role leaves a mark, others all are good Chayya Devi leaves a mark as Sarjo
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this