IMDb > "Roots" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Outstanding Mini Series

Author: jnkaul (jnkaul@pa.freei.net) from Allentown PA
28 April 2000

I have the complete series on tape and yet I watch it everytime it airs, Roots is a must see for everyone who is interested in history and geneology. The series really opened my eyes into a whole new perspective of the plight and the fight for the black men and women to know and win their God given freedom. To witness the love and life shared between Omoro and Binte, who's sole purpose was to raise and nurture their children was heart warming, then to watch it taken away was heart wrenching. The story eventually follows 200 yrs. of the decendants of this family who's strong will and striving finally brings them to Justice and Freedom. Do Watch!!!!!!!

wow..

Author: Anna-24 from Loveland, Co
14 March 1999

...this is a GREAT mini-series... It will guaranteed take your breath away, and then send you into the bathroom, making you take a real hard look at yourself in the mirror. It's amazing, and I think it portrays the story and history of many african americans in the world. It will make you cry, laugh and rage with anger, but it's done so great, you feel like you got a gift handed over to you. 9/10 stars! See it - you won't regret!

Still the greatest Mini TV Series ever made

Author: afijamesy2k from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 April 2009

This TV movie and mini-series is like no other has ever seen, it not only change the way we look at our ancestors, America, it has also change the world forever, this great TV movie featuring Kunte and the crew and the rest is history, great performances by the cast, wonderful story, terrific cinematography, wonderful writing and everything else, your know the 1970's was a depressing time for America, disco, Watergate and many others that has hurt the world deeply, this, star wars, close encounters of the third kind brought us deeply closer together, I Wanna thank Alex Haley and the crew for letting my watch this great mini-series and it will be on for many generations to come.

See this TV movie like no other.

the greatest mini series ever... I have never been so moved..

Author: cineasten89 from Sweden
26 May 2005

I was thirteen years old when I watched this. Oh, what much it taught me... it taught me that people used to enslave each other not many time ago. It also taught me that you never have to give yo, it taught me many things, that had shaped my life on many ways. It's why I can't forget this mini series... I got moved and cried a lot while watching this and I could not understand that there was such injustice in the world. And that it was based on the reality did it even worse. My impression was very big, and I could not get rid of the thought of this mini series for many weeks, maybe also months. The actors were beautifully performing their characters, and it gave me an impression of them playing their characters with the whole of their hearts. I have never experienced such reality (no wonder when it is based on the true events) in a mini series. I have never got such an impression of a mini series except from the movie Amistad, that can be compared with this. Both is highly recommended if you want to know the history of the slaves... Here is the truth and nothing else than truth.

Another David L. Wolper Must-See

Author: modhatter from Cypress, CA
24 January 2002

I was a child of the ABC Novels For Television, but I've missed this one, the granddaddy of them all, until now. I have the second half to go, but considering I cried like a girl watching last night, I suppose I can give this nothing less than a perfect 10... It's a true shame that no one is even attempting to tell stories like this on television anymore. In this age of Eminems preaching hate to everyone who isn't a straight white male, stories like Roots remind us that we may have come a long way, but we can never rest in the fight for equality. If we forget humanities atrocities, we slide back into them... I dare anyone to watch Roots and not come away changed for the better.

one of the best series ever probably

Author: RDCoyte from the Netherlands
19 August 2001

Roots describes the history of a family originating from a black slave named Kunta Kinte. Through wars, marriages with white people, better education etc. the family lives on. It is too big a series to describe every good part and every bad part, but I do want to say there are more of the good parts than the bad ones. 9/10 !

See it as soon as possible

Author: lawrence-14
15 December 1999

This is an appeal to everyone on the planet. If you have never seen ROOTS, then see it as soon as possible. The greatest TV mini series of all time, the way how Alex Haley's roots are told, from the start at the birth of Kunta Kinte in the African village of Juffare, is an experience that cannot be missed. ROOTS is an immortal masterpiece that has certainly appealed and inspired most of those that have seen it. So, if your local video store don't have a copy, just buy it!. It is more than worth the money, i promise you.

Glad My Mom Made Me Watch It

Author: Erich Young (erichyoung) from USA
3 September 2001

I grew up in the whitest small town in the upper midwest. I had one fellow minority high grad (out of 800) who was chinese but was adopted and named "Anne Palmquist" - that's how white it was. So I grew up without any minority contact.

My mother made me watch Roots back then so I could visualize what I read about...and it had a positive impact on my little world. Of course it was merely a lesson in my parents greater plan, I'm glad it existed and was aired.

I'd like to see it again as an adult.

Nearly 30 years on and still love it

Author: Gavin McMahon from United Kingdom
28 January 2006

I was a kid of 8 years old when Roots first appeared on our Television set on a Saturday night. I can remember my parents being as engulfed in it as we the kids were. Nearly 30 years later I watched it again right through over 4 nights and yes it still has that wonderful aurora about it. Growing up I could remember the names of Kute Kinte, Kizzy and Chicken George but seeing the story unfold again brought back memories that had seem to disappear. My wife had not seen this as a child and I also got her to watch, rightly so she was in tears of joy and sadness at some of the wonderful scenes. I have now got the disks of my own and as soon as my kids come to age one of my the first things i will so is to ensure that they see Roots and remember that no one should have to endure the hardships that Kute and his family had to. Overall a superb dramatisation and one which holds a special place in my heart. 10/10

What if we all followed suit?

Author: wobblsgurl360 from Switzerland
6 October 2005

OK, i've only seen the beginning of the movie, but what i've seen of the movie shows that it is quite historically accurate and it leaves you thinking how amazing the human spirit is even when other human beings spirits are dark like the night and just as unpleasant. If all of us could hold on to belief and hope in times like such we would all be much better people. This is a movie that makes you think about humankind, human spirit, and the human heart. If all movies were like this hopefully people wouldn't repeat those mistakes. I feel that if everyone had the spirit of Kunta Kinte and the heart of such a man maybe there wouldn't be wars crossing the borders of countless countries. Maybe people wouldn't wish for material possession, even if that were possible, would that extinguish many other problems (world hunger, AIDS, etc.) maybe, maybe not. But it does teach us that human decency though at times seem rare makes its face apparent at small, but important times in our life, if only we could grasp it and share it with others... maybe we could ...

Page 4 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]