IMDb > "Roots" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Roots"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Roots" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Black History Month Movie Pick

Author: Penelope Ana Mn
20 February 2014

If a person wants to understand Black History in the US then watch this movie. Roots is about one man telling the story of how his family came to the colonies and became a slave. Slavery did not just affect black people but the institution of slavery affected everyone in the colonies (United States). You can't turn a blind eye to the mistreatment of one ethnic group and then say all is well. I loved this movie because the acting is great. The cinematography is great and the writing is realistic. I hate slavery movies where they don't tell the inhumanity and exploitation that actually happened in the slave trade. Amistad is another movie about slavery that should be watched. It tells how slaves were stacked up like cargo and shipped to the US, South America, parts of Europe and the Caribbean and treated worse than animals. You wouldn't put horses or dogs in a ship like that. This movie is intense but the whole movie is worth watching.

Miniseries needs to be seen past, present, and future!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
19 March 2013

As we are still striving to make sense and harmony of racial relations. As this miniseries from the 1977 TV season that drew over 100M people and how it introduced the world to how racism really began about.

It shows the struggle to be free and how it looks at the descendants of the late Alex Haley, author the book thinking that the word "free" would never, ever come.

By showing the struggles that these people have. From Kunta Kinte the main protagonist to his line of family linage like Kizzy, Chicken George, etc.

A great cast led by a then unknown Levar Burton and great writing. Shows us that this miniseries needs to be seen not just in the past, but present and future generations to come.

No matter what race, color, creed, gender, religion, etc we belong in. For it is the fight to accept others like in the past that has since occurred in the present and in the future to come.

Haley should take a bow for opening up 100M to the fight to remain free and accept others!

A story that needed to be told...

Author: Naberrie218 from United States
19 May 2011

I decided to look up Roots recently after remembering that LeVar Burton starred in it. I had heard about it somewhere years ago, as a kid, and knew it was about slavery, but not much else about it. I'm glad I decided to take the time and watch it. It's a story that should be seen by all people, regardless of skin color or background, for it is first and foremost, a human story. That people could treat other human beings the way the slaves were treated is completely appalling.

It is heartbreaking to see an innocent young man taken away from his home and forced to be a slave. It is sickening to see the grim reality of slavery and how people were treated worse than animals because of their skin color. Although many parts of the movie are disturbing, it is necessary that that those things are shown in order to fully understand the extent of what these human beings had to endure. Kunta Kinte is the image of the indomitable human spirit, and has become one of my favorite characters. I admire how he refused to submit and be treated like he was nothing, how he fought to keep his name and heritage though they were all trying to change him.

If you are human, then you will definitely feel immense compassion for the main character, and for all the slaves who had to endure such cruelty from people who called themselves human and civilized. There are many parts of it that will leave you feeling disgusted about how anyone could do such things to human beings.

The actors do a great job of making you love or hate their characters. You will feel repugnance at characters like Slater and Ames, and Edward Asner does a great portrayal of a Captain Davies, commanding a slave ship but at the same time deeply bothered by his own conscience and morality.

Of course, the star is LeVar Burton and he is excellent as Kunta Kinte, bringing all the emotions of his character to life. Through Kunta's eyes, you see the horrors he is forced to endure, you feel his pain, and the endearing innocence of his character makes it all the more heartbreaking. The only thing I did not like about the movie is how they used two very different actors to portray the same character. Especially since John Amos doesn't look, sound, or act like Levar Burton.

I understand that they couldn't believably make a 19 or 20 year old LeVar Burton look like like he was 50, so getting an older actor to play that part was necessary, however, John Amos came into the movie way too soon. In 1776, Kunta is only 26 years old and still a young man. It makes no sense that they got John Amos to play him at that age, it should have definitely been LeVar Burton still portraying Kunta. (And as many people know, in real life, LeVar still looked pretty much the same in his 30s as he did at 19) I also feel that they should have gotten an actor who resembled LeVar a bit more than John Amos did and that he shouldn't have come into the movie until much later, when Kunta was to be portrayed as a graying and middle-aged man, not someone still in his 20s. What they did took away from the continuity of the story and I lost some of that sense of immersion that I'd felt since up till then.

That said, the story itself is a great one, a very tragic and heartbreaking human story that reflects the struggle of all the oppressed people in this world, as well as educates people about the grim and disturbing reality of a part of this nation's history. It also is a reminder that they can never take away who you are as a person, no matter what, and that the strength of the human soul rises above all. Now that I've seen it on screen, I'm definitely going to read the book, which will undoubtedly have more details than can be shown on screen and enrich the story even more.

From Gambia to North Carolina

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
30 September 2010

This TV mini-series has become a classic in some twenty or thirty years and it deserves to be, both in its first part and in its second part. Yet the quality of the filming and editing has aged and the film is not served by the fact it was done for television that tends to show too many close-ups and to avoid vast rapid movements and wide landscapes. But it has become a classic by the theme it deals with. The first mini series deals with the fate of black people from when they were captured in Africa to their liberation after the Civil War. The vision of Africa in the 18th century is slightly improved on what it was. Some rituals are nicely evoked but not shown, circumcision for example, and nothing is said about excision for the girls. The capturing of Bantu blacks in western Africa and their enslaving had been going on for centuries. The new thing is that the captured Bantu blacks were no longer sold as slaves to the northern Moslem tribes or even Moslem Maghreb people, but to the whites for only one reason: the whites paid better and more. This is not done out of decency. It seems to be done in order to avoid any rejection for the family public, any restrictive rating. It is the same thing with the whole period about slavery. The film concentrates on odious facts but all together rather limited facts: one whipping, a couple of children sold, very few rapes by the whites in order to produce mulattoes that could be sold for a profit. The hardships of field work are also curbed a lot. The living conditions and quarters were quite luxurious when we know what it really was. Even the Civil War is shown with a lot of reserve. They may say the number of dead but they don't show the battles, the medical care of the wounded, the savagery of the war itself and the innumerable amputees and other victims after the war. Altogether the first part is rather tamed. That of course enhances the main theme of this first part, and also of the second part, the fact that one has to retain the memory of one's origins, roots, past, even if it is only a name, a few words, a few episodes. It is those recollections passed from one generation to the next that feed and strengthen the sense of belonging, the hope that will bring the future out of the present, the light that may one day illuminate the dull and dark present. One day at a time but always with the past in the conscious background. And the joy of the liberation is important, but the first part ends on a closure too: the whites are still there and the blacks have to live with them and compromises are not always easy to find and not always to the real benefit of the blacks. Slavery is replaced by sharecropping but what's the difference when the black sharecroppers start with the debts that are attributed to them to pay for what they need to work and they should get free since they worked for nothing for decades. That's how it works with the whites in the South, and yet the family we are speaking of managed to finagle a plan to get the mules free and to move out without paying for the debts of slavery from North Carolina to Tennessee where one freed member who got the chance to make some wealth in England had bought some land. That's the real freedom this family achieves after the Civil war: to possess the land they till and thus the harvest they grow.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Paris 8 Saint Denis, University Paris 12 Créteil, CEGID

The 'War & Peace' Of Television

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
9 January 2009

When the American mini-series 'Roots' debuted on B.B.C.-1 in 1978, I was pretty cynical. Here we go again, I thought, yet another overblown soap opera, 'Rich Man, Poor Man' Mark Two. I do not know what compelled me to tune in for the first instalment, but am so glad I did, else I would have then missed one of the greatest series of all time.

Based on the book by Alex Haley, the story begins with his ancestor Kunta Kinte ( LeVar Burton ) disobeying his father's advice by venturing beyond the perimeters of his African village to find wood with which to make a drum for his baby brother. He is caught by slave traders, who ship him back to the United States in the most appalling conditions imaginable to begin a new life as a slave called 'Toby'. The scene where Kunta is incarcerated in chains and screams at the top of his lungs is one of the most harrowing ever broadcast, and shocks still.

Making repeated escape attempts, Kunta has part of his foot chopped off. Years pass, and he marries another slave named Bell ( Madge Sinclair ), and they have a daughter called Kizzy ( Leslie Uggams ). She is taught to read and write by the spoilt daughter of her owner, a fact that ultimately leads to her being sold off to the disgusting Tom Moore ( Chuck Connors ), a man who thinks nothing of having sex with his female slaves.

I will leave the synopsis here. 'Roots' is an epic that spans decades, taking in major historical events such as the American Civil War, and although grim for most of the time ends on a note of optimism for the future. It brought history to life in a way no book could ever hope to do. My knowledge of the shameful age of slavery was increased a thousandfold. With race riots having been in the news only a few years earlier, it made me think: "my God, no wonder the blacks hate us.".

It took stick from some quarters over historical accuracy. While it is true that the African village seen at the start of the series was like something out of an old 'Tarzan' movie the sense that a monstrous injustice had been committed was there. Yes, Haley took liberties ( it is called 'artistic licence' ), but did not invent slavery. He did not need to because it actually happened. If nitpickers want to remain blinkered to the evils of history, that's fine by me. As long as they do not expect everyone else in the world to think the same way.

John Amos as the adult 'Kunta', Lou Gossett Jr as 'Fiddler', Leslie Uggams as 'Kizzy', and, in particular, Ben Vereen as 'Chicken George' were brilliant, and the show not only was viewed by the highest audience in American history ( at that time ), but also won countless awards, including the prestigious Peabody ( which Bill O'Reilly later claimed to have won! ).

I doubt it but hope Enoch Powell ( and those cretins who marched in support of his extreme views ) was among the millions who saw it in Britain.

Interestingly, 1978 was also the year in which 'The Black & White Minstrel Show' ( a singing/dancing variety show starring white performers in minstrel make-up ) ended after a twenty-year run. After 'Roots', those hand-waving 'yassuh, boss!' stereotypes were no longer welcome on our screens.

Though repeated several times, 'Roots' has not been seen here for years, but thankfully is on D.V.D. It should be compulsive viewing in all schools.

a masterpiece

Author: funexpert from jax, fla
13 February 2002

I just watched the ist two episodes on dvd. and I'm speechless. get this movie and bring friends. It brings so much to the table other than slavery. It spoke volumes to me. Levar Burton is a revelation and it surprises me that he isn't doing more movies. He reminded me of those silent film stars who show with their eyes.

Hard to Stomach.. But great film

Author: harperdk
20 May 2002

Wow... It is hard to believe that people would actually treat other humans in this manner. I find it hard to watch the film.. I found myself turning it off... reflecting and then returning to the film. I hope this is a wake-up call to all people to understand that prejudice needs to stop. At all costs! What a price that has been paid for freedom!

Historically Inaccurate depiction of slavery

Author: Casey Reeves from Chicago, Illinois
13 May 2014

Let me start off by saying I don't hate this series. In fact, it is actually quite good. The problem is Roots has become somewhat of a black culture idealization of what slavery was like, and it is not even historically accurate.

In the 18th century, the West African slave trade was a seasoned machine, and other than the Portuguese, "white men" rarely set foot on the continent for more than a few weeks, as they lacked the immunities to fight off many of the diseases that were prevalent in the region. As such, the slave trade was really conducted at the auction block, after the slaves were captured. "White men" didn't often go and capture their slaves themselves, they bought them from tribesman and other more prominent African slave traders. The concept of owning slaves has existed well before the invention of the boat, so until the invention of the boat and then the pressures from the Catholic church and other churches to stop enslaving its own people, slavery was a way of life that rarely migrated beyond the immediate reaches of that particular countries borders.

It is only in recent centuries that slavery crossed oceans, a time when everybody was purchasing slaves. Half the population of Ireland was wiped out, lots of poor European countries were wiped out, the Philippines even up until the early 1900's, West Africa, East Africa, China, Russia, etc. There is obviously an agenda with Roots as the writer has personal feelings of animosity however I feel the historical inaccuracy for the beginning of this mini-series seriously hurts the amount of respect I can give to the show as a whole.

Like I said its good if you are looking at it as a fictional show and nothing more, but if you ever use Roots to combat someone who actually knows history, you will lose every time.

Roots trivializes the slave trade for the black community and creates a slanted view at the atrocities that existed far before a black man was ever enslaved.

Grossly overrated

Author: James J. Matthews (mattogre@interlog.com) from Toronto, Canada
12 February 2000

The story of Alex Haley's ancestors is a powerful one, and he turned it into a very fine (if partly plagiarized) book. The 1977 miniseries, on the other hand, is an example of television's "dumbing down" process. It's relentlessly obvious, cheesy and cliched. The writing is dishonest when not just inept. Scene after scene is played to the rafters. African-Americans in particular deserved better.

You want specifics? Chicken George (Ben Vereen) was born after his mother was raped by his master. In the book he's aware from childhood that their master is also his father, which is exactly what you'd expect. Here, however, we're asked to believe that this is a Big Secret he doesn't know because his mother didn't tell him. (Does he think it was a virgin birth?) That's so she can finally tell him when he's grown up with children of his own, and give the episode a cheap emotional climax. This is a familiar TV cliche.

The conclusion is particularly laughable. Formula requires "empowerment," so they have an unbelievable scene where the ex-slaves tie the Evil Klansman to a tree before leaving town. First they point a gun at him, then his henchmen come out and get the drop on them, then other blacks get the drop on the henchmen. (This happened on GET SMART once, but the laughs were intentional there.)

True, there are fine performances by actors like Louis Gossett and Vereen, but the white cast is mostly at sea. (As the slave ship's Ineffectual Christian Liberal Conscience, the normally able Edward Asner gives one of the 10 worst performances in TV history.) As for production values, ABC spent more on ROOTS than on any past TV movie, but you'd never know it: it looks very cheap.

In sum, the miniseries ROOTS (like the miniseries HOLOCAUST) was "politically correct" before we knew the term.

powerful

Author: vixen-17 from Miami, Fl
13 August 2000

I only know how to summarize this series in one word...powerful. I saw it for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it literally took my breath away. The issue of slavery has always upset me quite a great deal and this movie only made me so angry that I couldn't do anything while it was happening.The series is done so well I don't even know if I can critique.All I have to say is go watch it if you haven't seen it yet.It's beyond incredible.It displays the cruelty which was deemed acceptable in those times and the struggle of the central characters.If a movie has never made you cry before,it will this time.The acting is superb and it will quickly make you forget that you're watching a product of tv execs.

Page 2 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]