IMDb > "The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Ahhhh....great memories!

Author: Michael Richter (myklrichter@aol.com) from Beaverton, Oregon
5 July 2000

While I know that this show was no emmy-winning fare, it brings backs memories of my youth and gaining an appreciation for nature and all animals.

Somewhere in all of us, lies that Walden-esque desire to abandon the trappings of modern life and live in the wilderness among nature. While this was merely a television program, and undoubtedly fraught with errors and impossibilities (i.e. raising an orphan cub to be your "buddy"), it allowed for soles young and old to live out that Western fantasy, albeit vicarisely. I miss those days curled up with a pillow on my Grandma's floor and imersing myself in Grizzly Adam's world.

A Wonderful Subject of Being One with Nature

Author: Rosemary (zelda1964) from Long Island, New York
30 January 2005

Even though this show lasted for only a Year, the program made for a great Family series. Haggerty,Pyle,and even the actor Shanks(who plays Indian friend Nakuma)were wonderful! The program starts off, where a man is accused of a crime he did not commit. He goes into hiding off to the Mountains and befriends characters that teach him and the viewer Lessons about Life. I recall the film "Challenge to be Free"; Both main characters hide away and become "One with Nature".I do enjoy stories about Friendship, working together and Grizzly Adams is a very sweet,and wholesome show. The viewer learns about Teamwork,compromise and respecting the great gifts of the World that God gave us.

A Trip back in time

Author: E.C. Montana (epevae) from Berlin, Germany
26 February 2003

Just recently the TV series was aired again on German TV for an... x number of times. It "realizes" everyone´s dream to just leave this hectic, violent world behind. The plots are simple, which isn´t necessarily negative. As a matter of fact, it is one of the few TV series with little to no violence. It brings back memories of one´s own youth and dreams of a perfect world in which all problems will be solved in a nice way at the end. An entertaining series with good actors, beautiful sights of nature and unforgettable Ben.

a forgotten classic, please remember it!!!!

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
12 September 2003

Sunn Classic Pictures was a movie company out of Salt Lake City Utah that made a lot of good high quality films in the 1970's. Films like The Mysterious Monsters, In Search Of Noah's Ark, The Lincoln Conspiracy, Beyond And Back, The Bermuda Triangle and In Search Of Historic Jesus. This tv series was a forgotten jem. It is an absolute atrocity that people do not remember it or cannot see it today, especially in the light of the trash that they call tv shows they shove down people's throats. Dan Hagerty and Denver Pyle did a wonderful job in creating a fine show that the whole family can enjoy. Grizzly Adams was a tv hero that kids can look up to. We need him today more then ever. I watched this show growing up in Fairmont, West Virginia and have such fond memories of it. They need to put it into syndication. Shows like this and Little House On The Prarie and Doctor Quinn Medicine Woman teach such important lessons to our children. A great tv journalist named Edward R. Murrow once said that without a social conscience, tv is a horrible weapon and will corrupt our children. By the way, I loved the song for this tv show "Maybe, theres a world that we won't have to run maybe, theres a time we call our own living free in harmony....take me home, take me home.

Poor Memory About The Good Old Days

Author: JANDLBRUIN from United States
19 June 2007

srchn4 wrote:

The good old days of Sun Productions, 2 January 2006 Author: srchn4 from Park City Utah My father was a forest ranger at the Soapstone Guard Station for nearly 30 years. As a child and early teen, the Uinta Mountains, where many of Sun Productions' films and TV series were filmed, was "my childhood back-yard." With my dirt bike allowing me access to miles of travel all around the area, along with my intimate knowledge of the area and any big events occurring in or around it, I was able to watch many, many days of scenes being set-up and filmed.

FACT: THE BEAR USED FOR THE PART OF BEN IN GRIZZLY ADAMS WAS SUPPLIED BY LLOYD BEEBE, OWNER OF THE OLYMPIC GAME FARM LOCATED IN SEQUIM, WASHINGTON. THE BEAR WAS A FEMALE NAMED BOZO AND MOST DEFINITELY DID NOT BELONG TO DOUG SEUS OF HEBER CITY,UTAH.

Grizzly Adams : When The Word Quality Meant Something

Author: happipuppi13 from Phx. Arizona ("Arizona Smells Funny"!- Homer Simpson)
10 September 2014

"Deep inside the forest is a door into another land,here is our life and home...." "We are staying, here forever in the beauty of this place,all alone." "We keep on hoping..." "Maybe, there's a world where we won't have to run, and maybe, there's a time we'll call our own,living free in harmony and majesty." "Take me home...take me home."

** Now,almost a year ago,I had the good fortune to find Seasons 1 and 2 of the show on DVD,here at my local library. (I've been quite busy since.)

It was the mid 1980s when I'd last seen the show in reruns,so naturally I was very excited. The series existed on NBC until just 1 month & 3 weeks shy of 2 years and like most fans,was nothing short of shocked (and even angered) when the show was pulled (unannonuced) in Dec. of 1978.

The question on most viewers minds was "Why cancel a show with not only good ratings but good writing,acting and that the whole family can enjoy as well?" (Ever notice they didn't dare pull that with "Litle House On The Prarie" ?)

In a time filled with comedies of Norman Lear on CBS,the Gary Marshall sitcoms on ABC,violent police shows. As well as programs meant to show off women's "attributes" more than their acting.... "Grizzly Adams" was family TV at it's best. Adams,Ben The Grizzly Bear,Trapper Mad Jack and Indian friend Nakoma (and guests),were well played and thought out characters. Even Nakoma was not a "stereo-type".

The animals in the show seemed almost "charmed" by Charles Adams" as they seemed to understand everything he said and asked of them,when he needed their help. (Cynical people called this "cutesy" and "unrealistic".)

The best thing about the series,is it taught us about what was really important in living. To be glad for each new day that you're alive,to live for others as much as for yourself and to never give up on hope or even sometimes,one's dreams or aspirations.

To Haggerty's credit as an actor...The fact that Adams can win over great odds,without killing or any serious violence and still come across 100% convincing is amazing to watch.

He plays a man wanted for something he clearly didn't do and having to hide out from a society of laws that were more about vengeance than justice. ...and yet,Adams lives each day as he would any other. To just live life,should he be captured or not.

Denver Pyle's "Mad Jack" is great as well. While Pyle can make him as serious as can be,he also makes Jack a great comic relief,who is sometimes upstaged by the animals,especially his mule "Number 7" .

Don Shanks' "Nakoma" speaks no English (except in one show when conversing with another younger tribe member,so we know what they're saying). This allows us to pay even more attention to his character and his actions. Plus,it makes for a unique bond of friendship between the three.

I could go on but all I can say is in these times of Reality TV,R-Rated sitcoms and crime shows with double the violence of those from the 1970s... Give the 1974 film,this show and 1982's "The Capture Of Grizzly Adams" a look (in that order).

It's well worth it if you'd like to see something that's meaningful and again of good quality. Especially for that wonderful theme song,which I posted at the start,"Maybe" by Thom Pace.

I think that says it all. (END)

Wonderful Family Show That Doesn't Get Made Anymore!

Author: AaronCapenBanner from North America
30 July 2013

I loved the character of James "Grizzly" Adams, who was played by the perfectly cast Dan Haggerty, whose warmth and caring was conveyed effectively. Denver Pyle as his friend Mad Jack was funny and memorable, and Don Shanks as his blood-brother Nacoma performed his part as a Native American with sincerity and respect. Then of course there was Ben, the big grizzly that Adams rescued as a cub from a mountain ledge, and is now his protector and companion.

Like the 1974 film that preceded it, some will no doubt complain that the series is too simple, even corny, but I reject these views, since Adams is a good man, unjustly accused of a crime he did not commit, but has no way of proving his innocence, which is why he fled to the wilderness.

A series that presents respect for nature, Native Americans, and helping one's fellow human should be treasured, and I'm glad this series is finally available on DVD.

"Maybe", the show's theme song, is beautiful, and may bring a tear to the eye!

The good old days of Sun Productions

Author: srchn4 from Park City Utah
2 January 2006

Grizzly Adams with Doug Suess' huge grizzly-bear Ben, was one of my favorites. Doug and his son Clint still live in the Heber City area and have quite a stable of film-ready "wild animals" for hire. Another classic movie filmed in and around the area was Robert Redford's "Jeremiah Johnson." Still classic films... and even fonder memories.