IMDb > "CHiPs" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"CHiPs"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"CHiPs" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

One of the best TV-series of all time!

Author: Vicente Seppi Bresolin (bresolin@ez-poa.com.br) from Porto Alegre, Brazil
6 July 1999

I may say that "CHiPs" is part of my life. It was a wonderful TV-series, that influenced my childhood, that of my friends, and that of people all around the world. It was very entertaining and we always have tried to imitate them when we're playing. "CHiPs" is a reference point on the entertainment history!

All Of It Was Good!!

Author: dataconflossmoor from United States
19 June 2007

I like this show a lot!! It was wholesome entertainment that you could rely on!! The cast was great , Erik Estrada is a favorite on T.V.!! Larry Wilcox was popular on this show.. I also like Tom Reilly and Bruce Penhall...Brodie Greer was a great addition to this series, and my favorite cop was Bruce Jenner!! Sunny Los Angeles and road chase scenes with cars that got 12 miles to the gallon that "CHiPs" illustrated, became a staple to the late seventies and early eighties television prime-time lineup!! Innocuous and unassuming situations exemplified CHiPS to an nth degree!! The highway patrol cops made this show!! Erik Estrada became enormously popular as a result of being on this show!! I like watching the reruns of CHiPS all the time, and I will continue to watch CHiPS in syndication for the ensuing years ahead!! While it (CHiPS) will never be considered one of the best T.V. shows in the history of television, there really was not any aspect to this show you could dislike!! Most of CHiPS was very likable, funny, and by and large, entertaining!! This show definitely gets a thumbs up!! ALL OF IT WAS GOOD!!

Larry Wilcox And Erik Estrada Makes CHiPs A Classic TV Show!!!!!

Author: Desertman84 from United States
11 November 2011

CHiPS which stood for California Highway Patrol, television drama series that originally aired on NBC from September 15, 1977, to July 17, 1983.It followed the daily beats of two state motorcycle patrolmen as they patrolled the freeway system in and around Los Angeles. Officer Jon Baker was the straight, serious officer while Frank "Ponch" Poncherello was the more free- wheeling member of the duo; both reported to Sgt. Joe Getraer, who gave out assignments and advice in handling the cases. The show was created by Rick Rosner, and starred Erik Estrada as Officer Francis "Ponch" Poncherello and Larry Wilcox as Officer Jonathan "Jon" Baker together with Robert Pine,who portrayed Sergeant Joseph Getraer,the duo's gruff yet fatherly commanding officer.

CHiPs' each episode saw a compilation of incidents, ranging from the humorous to criminal investigations and tragic incidents.Other aspects of Ponch and Jon's daily work were highlighted as well; the social lives of both officers often provided the lighter moments. On occasion, Ponch and Jon were assisted by a female "Chippie" at first, the very beautiful Sindy Cahill; and later, the more wholesome Bonnie Clark. In 1982, Ponch got a new partner, Bobby Nelson,portrayed by Tom Reilly (when Wilcox left the show that year), while Nelson's younger brother, Bruce, was a trainee on the force. By now, the female "Chippie" was the attractive Kathy Lindahan.

CHiPs is definitely one of the best shows in the late 70's and early 80's.Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada,despite not being friends in real life,have excellent chemistry as CHP partners.Aside from that,it was an entertaining TV show for all ages as cops in motorcycles was something new,cool and original when the show came out.Added to Jon and Ponch,the TV show also had interesting supporting characters from the pretty ones and the awkward ones like Harlan.And most of all,the TV show was for family entertainment as it was funny as well as informative especially about the highways.It was also realistic and far from being contrived and cheesy.And most of all,it avoided violence on air.Add to that,the memorable CHiPs theme from the jazzy one during the first season to the disco-tuned one from the 2nd to the 6th season has always been considered a classic tune.

CHiPs started its downfall on its 6th season when Larry Wilcox left since the show became somewhat less realistic and has become clichéd and predictable.Tom Reilly as well as Bruce Penhall were never able to fill the big shoes that Wilcox left for them to carry on the success of the show.Too bad that Erik Estrada,despite being the biggest star of the show,could not carry it on his own despite of his popularity and charisma.It was evident that Wilcox was a big part of the show's success.Too bad that things did not work out between him and Estrada off-camera.If things did not turn out the way it did to back in the day,I always would have believed that CHiPs would have lasted more than 10 seasons instead of six.

CHiPs is one TV series that I definitely miss on air despite being cancelled almost 30 years ago.It was truly a classic TV show that a lot of people miss and one that could probably be never duplicated today.

One of the Best Police Shows Ever Aired On Television and Still Is I Might Add

Author: voicemaster71 from United States
3 June 2008

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!!

I get disgusted seeing some of my favorite TV shows downed for their quality, but at the same time, I can understand to a limited extent. In terms of technology, we've come a long way. But there are some things from the late 70's and early 80's that will always be priceless. Like Buddy shows, whether it be police or otherwise.

For me, I categorize three shows in particular, Starsky and Hutch, The Dukes of Hazzard, and CHiPs. People down CHiPs for its quality, because you were guaranteed freeway chases and vehicular crashes and accidents in each episode, along with beautiful women who find CHP officers, Ponch and Jon in particular, attractive. And the 70's disco music soundtrack in each episode.

I compare police shows of the era to soft and hardcore sports, baseball and football. While most police shows are grim and gritty, not to mention violent crime dramas, henceforth like football games, I compare CHiPs to baseball. Both are light hearted and the violence level was at a minimum. I don't recall Ponch or Jon ever drawing their guns. And compared to the crap we call reality TV today, the realistic factor of CHiPs was similar to Emergency and Adam 12 in that we saw professionals doing their jobs and we even got to hang out with them off duty on these shows. Through CHiPs, when I applied for my driver's license as a teenager, I knew the documents to present a cop who pulls you over were your license and registration (thanks to Ponch and Jon). I knew that on my written test without studying that one factor.

Anyway, in a nutshell, CHiPs was the adventures of the CHP both at work and at play. The two main characters of this buddy cop show were Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada as officers Jon Baker and Francis "Frank Poncherello, best known to everyone as Ponch. Unlike most people, I love the 1970's, the styles, and especially the disco music, which I wish I had on CD. For most of the time, Jon and Ponch were the main characters as well as one of their commanding officers, Sgt. Joe Getraer, whose relationship with Ponch was similar to the relationship Captain Dobey had with both Starsky and Hutch. Other than that, the only other cop who was there almost from start to finish was this pudgy cop named Artie Grossman. Other cops were cruiser cops, like Barry Barikza, who was there for most of the series seasons except the last one. Black cops, Fritz, and Turner (future Klingon Michael Dorn) and some very hot Chippies like Sindy Cahill,Kathy Linahan (final season) and my personal favorite Bonnie Clark (Randi Oakes). My least favorite character was the arrogant mechanic, Harlan. I could have done without that pathetic guy.

The show's two worst moments. A few episodes in season 5 when Ponch was temporarily replaced by Bruce Jenner as Officer Steve McLeish, who was Jon's partner while Erik Estrada was tied up in a legal contract dispute, and worse than that, all of season 6 with Larry Wilcox's departure due to the fact that he and Estrada were not getting along, probably due to Estrada's massive ego during the series. Though try as they might, neither Tom Reilly nor Bruce Penhall as the Nelson Brothers Bobby and Bruce could cut it with Ponch like Jon could, though Bruce was more interesting as we seem go from Cadet in training to official CHP before the series ended.

In the end though, you still have a great series. Erik Estrada as Ponch was the character cop who stole the show, but I was always more of a Jon Baker fan. To me, Larry Wilcox represented the type of cop I'd prefer to be stopped by or cited by.

If you want a decent reality based show, I highly recommend CHiPs. And unlike most shows, it's perfectly safe for your kids to watch. I give 2 thumbs up!!

I like this show

Author: Nickyp292 from Liverpool, England
23 September 2003

I think this is an enjoyable show. ok, at times the acting can be a bit cheesy, but whats wrong with that???

I've only just recently started watching it, they show re runs on BRAVO, and i have really got into it. Ponch is funny, but also a cool guy. The crash scenes are really good for a TV show, i mean you're churning out quality crashes like this, (a lot of films have worse ones), week in week out.

Anyway just wanted to say that its good, does anyone else think so??

The best police show ever

Author: philmaia from Orlando-Fla
15 September 2003

CHiPs was a great action series. The car chase scenes were amazing, the music was outstanding...and the actors completed each other. Ponch and Jon were the best riding their bikes through the California Highways. If you´re on a bad day, watch CHiPs and you´ll feel better!

Simple-minded but very likable cop show

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
10 September 2014

As a kid back in the 1970s, I all but completely missed "CHiPs" when it first aired. But recently the Me TV networks started showing reruns of the show, so I decided to take a look at what I missed all those years ago. My thoughts so far? Well, like a number of TV shows from the 1970s, there is a simple-minded feeling to this show. The movie often doesn't go into great depth or detail about things. Also, the show sometimes has a slight slapdash feeling to it, like filming was rushed or without adequate funds.

However, I must admit that despite those quibbles, I am finding the show to be a lot of fun. Larry Wilcox and Erik Estrada make appealing protagonists, showing dedication to their job and having great chemistry together. (Estrada often steals the show, so I understand reports that eventually a feud built between the two.) Also, there is often a light-hearted feeling in the background, refreshing after seeing so many cop shows that are harsh and dead serious. Every episode unfolds at a brisk pace, so that there are no dead spots. So if you are looking for some breezy non-think entertainment, you could do a heck of a lot worse than "CHiPs".

A fun celebration of disco, car culture, and 1970s adventure!!!

Author: stewartrandellmcguire from United States
30 April 2009

CHiPs was a delightfully entertaining television series which showcased the adventures of two California Highway patrolmen on their motorcycles in sunny Los Angeles/San Diego circa 1977-1983. The series began in 1977 as mainstream America embraced Disco and its glittering fashions. The show also represents car culture during that era as well. There were many 'special guest stars' because of the shows increasing popularity. At the time, The series seemed to get better until about 1980 when story lines became repeated, less interesting, and the hit formula behind CHiPs became eclipsed by newer more serious 1980s cop dramas like 'Hillstreet Blues' then 'Miami Vice'. When compared with what else was on TV during the late 70s, CHiPs is a winner!

CHiPs #1-fan in '77

Author: verelstbart_72 from Belgium
31 October 2008

Yes people it was... When i was a kid i watched CHiPs a lot. Every Wednesday(on TV), it was CHiPs-day. Two cops on a motorcycle, Harley Davidsons. Believe me, that was something for a 8 year old kid. Officers Francis "Ponch" Ponchorello and Jon Baker were the most cool guys in the history of Hollywood Television. Make no mistake, these dudes WERE cool. Two young and reasonably handsome guys, athletic and fit looking while living that romantic fast life in Southern California. They were the man on bikes, high pursuit cops who enforced the law. We got together with all kids from school. When we looked every Wednesday. Enjoyed the filming locations, the cars and scenery, wish i was 20 in '77. GREAT stuff!! I'm 36 in 2008, a bit different i guess....

Not a bad show as a kid

Author: mm-39 from Winnipeg
29 June 2004

I remember loving this show as a kid. As an adult, I did not find the show that interesting. Like the Duke's of Hazard Chips was geared for an very young auidence. Watching it late night on TBS, yes I could not sleep, I found some shows interesting, but others more childish. There were a few good shows, but others really dumbed down the auidence. I rememberd why I stoped watching the show as I got older, because it became too formulated. The predictability made the show not worth watching. In the end, I guess the predictability of these action show made them die out. Now, we have reality shows, and situation comedies to replace them. I wonder if tv will every go back to action shows.

Page 2 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]