IMDb > "The Brady Bunch Variety Hour" (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The little variety show that shouldn't have even tried.

Author: jeff-150 from Reno, NV
13 January 1999

I have the pilot episode of this one on tape and show it at parties. People have one of two reactions: Hysterical laughter, or a deep rooted horror/anger which could lead to violence. The Brady Bunch gets its own variety show with the scariest costumes, sets, and production numbers - ever! Pilot episode has guest star Tony Randall doing some scary atonal rendition of Dr. Doolittle, and Alice helping the gang do a disco medley. Not for the faint of heart.

awful

Author: dsnow-1 from United States
17 February 2008

One of the worst TV shows ever.

Funny thing though, Robert Reed, who hated the Brady Bunch show, agreed to do this show.

The Brady Bunch was my favorite show while I was growing up. I looked forward to it every Friday night.

Personally I never cared for any of the reunion shows, though the theater movies without the original cast were pretty funny.

It would have been better if they had just left the Brady Bunch in 1974 the way I remember it.

So things are better left the way they are.

Now For The Truth About This Show

Author: John Eveland (iuneedscoachknight@yahoo.com) from United States
14 January 2007

The Brady Bunch Variety Hour is very entertaining and packed with talent. Florence Henderson, Barry Williams, Maureen McCormick, and Geri Reischl are excellent singers. The dance routines combined with swimming in sync are really stunning. I loved the episodes of the original show when the kids started to sing and this gave me more of my favorite Brady moments.

Tony Randall was hilarious in the opening show as always. Ann B. Davis (aka Alice) comes along in every show to provide some comic relief. There are some very entertaining Brady sketches that show moments with the Bradys at home. Sometimes, they're talking about the show. It's like you're watching a behind-the-scenes production meeting. This was a brilliant addition to the show. This type of crafting allows the viewer to escape into a world where the Bradys are actually real. The show is suitable for all age brackets without any innuendo or crude jokes. Great job as always, Brady cast!!!

Maybe the worst TV show EVER!!!

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
24 July 2006

It's a really tough call--is THIS the absolute worst TV show ever created or was another Sid and Marty Kroft show, PINK LADY AND JEFF? It's really hard to tell--they are BOTH that bad! And, they actually share some things in common other than the same producers. Both are variety shows that feature people acting way outside their ranges! While Florence Henderson could sing, the rest of the cast couldn't and there was a strong effort to peddle the Brady kids as a pop group (you've got to hear their albums--they are unintentionally hilarious). So what you have, apart from Ms. Henderson, are some well-meaning but not very talented kids (and this is not just my opinion, but that of the cast when they were interviewed years later) and Robert Reed who just seems totally lost.

Okay, so the songs are a problem (sort of like WWII was a "bit of a tiff")--and that's bad because about half the show is singing and bizarrely choreographed dancing in lots of orange, pink and purple sequined jumpsuits. The rest of the show is "comedy"--something that the Brady family was really not known for--yes, they did a bland little family show, but this was far from the demands they placed on them in The Brady Bunch Hour. Here they were expected to be true comedians at times and do skits that invariably bombed.

And, if all this isn't bad enough, Eve Plumb ("Jan") refused to do the show, so they just picked another person who only had a vague resemblance to her and did it anyways! Despite the fact that almost everyone was totally outside of their element and the show featured a "faux Jan", it only got worse. The Krofts, while described by some as "geniuses", simply couldn't cut it and the show was pure 70s tackiness. It was so loud, so "in your face" and so gaudy, the show literally attacked instead of entertained. It actually reminded me of a high school talent show combined with a Vegas review! Now, you might just assume that I don't want you to ever see this show. Not exactly,...I say see it and see how unintentionally funny and awful it was. I guess I can't blame the cast, as I am sure they got very well paid and they didn't have a lot of other options for acting.

UPDATE--Well, perhaps I spoke too soon. Tonight I saw something from TV from the same time period that was worse, though it was a TV special. The "STAR WARS HOLIDAY SPECIAL" is amazingly bad--so bad that it's a train-wreck bad.

A high-camp trashterpiece!

Author: VinnieRattolle from United States
10 July 2009

What happens when you take nine of the most popular characters in TV history and drop 'em into a blatant knockoff of "Donny & Marie?" You get a show that's so bizarre and tacky that its hard to tear your eyes away! The brothers Krofft certainly did something right when developing this show (let me finish) - while other installments of the Brady franchise have been virtually forgotten ("The Brady Kids," "The Brady Brides," "The Bradys"), this one still endures with endless references, spoofs and citations in "Worst Shows in History" lists. Realistically, it's no worse than any other variety show of its time... matter of fact, it's more watchable today than many other old variety shows.

Each episode had a very Brady sitcom plot line. Whether it was Greg moving into his own pad (which Vincent Price informed him was haunted), Cindy giving Rich Little amnesia (he thought he was a Brady kid), Carol becoming jealous of Charo (whom she though Mike had eyes for) or Milton Berle attempting to take over the show (and putting Mike in drag!), the sitcom portions weren't that far off from the wacky antics on the original series. Where it deviated was the characterizations. The writers and actors seemed to be parodying the established characters... not dissimilar to the later parodies in the big-screen Brady Bunch movies. Perhaps audiences just weren't ready for that in '77.

Of course, what made the show so memorable was the musical segments. The Bradys shook their booties to an endless barrage of disco and disco-ized tunes, ranging from "Yankee Doodle Dandy" to "Love to Love You, Baby," dressed in flamboyant costumes and dancing (sometimes badly) on overblown sets. Who wouldn't be traumatized by seeing Marcia, Peter, Greg, Alice and Rip Taylor dressed as characters from "The Wizard of Oz," belting out "Car Wash?" And who wouldn't be creeped out by seeing Greg and his step-mom serenading each other with a love song? There's something deliriously surreal but oddly captivating about the songs. Then there's "Fake Jan." Say what you will about Geri Reischl, but she's a helluva singer, and she openly embraced the camp element of the show in a way Eve Plumb never could've.

Yes, you can say it's a bad show, but it's left an indelible impression on viewers that's lasted more than three decades. And that's more than one can say about most short-lived TV shows.

Yup! Bottom of the barrel stuff here.

Author: Wayne Malin (wwaayynnee51@hotmail.com) from United States
22 November 2010

The Bradys (for some reason) get a TV variety show to do. The episodes consist of them and guest stars "singing" and "dancing" and doing "comedy". Also every single fashion mistake of the 1970s (and there were LOTS of them) are worn at one time or another in this show. I'm not proud to admit that I saw every single episode of this when it aired but, even at the age of 15, I realized it was terrible but I couldn't stop watching. It was just SO wretched with abysmal comedy (even worse than the original "Brady Bunch" show) and variety acts that had my jaw dropping! Eve Plumb (Jan) had the brains NOT to do this show but the rest of the original cast was there. There were a few (very few) good moments here and there. They could all (more or less) sing and Barry Williams and Florence Henderson were very good on their own but this show was just a train wreck from beginning to end. It boggles the mind to think that ANYONE thought this could work. Even Williams in his book "Growing Up Brady" said it was the worst TV show ever. Well he's wrong. "The Brady Brides" was even WORSE! A 1 all the way.

Should be shown to the Guantanomo prisoners...

Author: topsail33 from Big Blue Marble, #3
9 July 2005

Playing this video in an endless loop at Guantanomo would have 'em all talking! So Awful, it's fantastic! Where do I begin? What does an indoor swimming pool, dancing girls, disco songs, HR Pufnstuff, horrible and I mean horrible outfits, and the Brady Bunch have in common? Nothing! And yet they managed to cram all of this into one variety hour - no small feat! The singing - and there's lots of it - is atrocious. Greg Brady ala Elvis, the fat years, Ma Brady, and even Marcia, all have solo numbers that are spell-binding...I mean nauseating.

The one gem here is if you're a Marsha fan (all of mankind), then you get to see those pretty blue eyes, and I mean pretty. Wow! Dreamy ! The tip-off that this was a disaster in the making is that it was produced by Sid and Marty Kroft - of Sigmund and the Sea Monsters, HR Puf N Stuff fame. It looks like they used some of the leftover props and ugly costumes.

The interview with Bobby and Cindy was interesting, but too long. Unscripted, they tended to ramble on. And the shocker was when Bobby actually said what every male with a pulse has ever thought: that everyone wanted to DO Marsha. I thought that was bizarre and also rude, since Cindy was sitting right there. I got the impression he was lamenting about not getting that opportunity.

It really is indescribable how bad/good this is. It represents the absolute worst in 70's television, yet at the same time, is strangely good to see a time when corny, over done productions were on TV, and not the graphic, sexual filth that is the norm today. Truly, a classic train wreck to watch!

The Corny Life After The Brady Bunch

Author: Camelot_2000 from Canada
30 July 2009

I caught The Brady Bunch Hour on YouTube and, oh man, they can't sing, they can't dance and those gaudy 1970s fashions just glitter at you like flashes from a nuclear explosion. The bubble gum music just adds to the laughs. I wonder if any of them are embarrassed about it now? I sure would be - especially during the highly glossy number of "Baby Face". Eve Plumb (Jan) was extremely wise in backing out of this one.

I don't mean to bash the wholesome goodness of the Bradys (I loved the Brady Bunch as a kid), but the fallout after wards when the show got canceled in '74 has been pretty funny. Like The Bradys (1990) where Marcia suffers from alcoholism (gasp!), gets treatment for it at the nearest rehab center and then becomes a strong supporter of fighting addiction - all in one episode! Oh yeah, and then there's another scene from The Bradys about Bobby's paralyzed state after getting into a race car crash, but in a climactic finale in one episode, he rises from his wheelchair and walks up the stage where his dad is giving some kind of public presentation and everyone cheers in ecstatic awe! It's like The Partridge Family meets The Young & The Restless!!! Oh man, I love the Bradys - before and after wards! They sure have big egos considering The Brady Girls Get Married (1981) was the only post-Brady Bunch reunion they've all appeared together in (someone always backed out and was replaced by a replica star from then on in). After the humiliating polyester/ bell bottomed glow of the Brady Bunch Hour, I would've thought the egotism would've been humbled by now.

So hilarious were those production numbers I'm dying to think of what Simon Cowell would've thought had they performed on American Idol or Britain's Got Talent - 3 strikes without a doubt!

Eve Plumb Made a Wise Decision

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
11 May 2003

This has to have been the worst television series ever (at least until "The Brady's" came along). When this show was announced, I thought it was just going to be a simple reunion show with the actors playing themselves then going into various sketches involving their characters. Instead they stay in character throughout the show. Rip Taylor was about the only funny thing on the show. Also, the other thing that was strange about this show was the fact that Eve Plumb (Jan) was the only one that didn't reprise her role (she was off doing more serious roles including starring in the acclaimed Dawn: Portrait of a Teenage Runaway). Instead, it was poor Geri Reischl to play the role of television's most famous middle daughter. It looks as if Plumb made the right choice and Reischl is nowhere to be found.

UHGGGGGG!!!!

Author: lovestonerocks (lovestonerocks@hotmail.com)
18 February 2004

All I can say is Damn awful, but funny to look at , at least once. I'd like to know what the production meetings were like for this one.

Personally I think Greg Should have actually broke from the group as "Johnny Bravo". It would have been bigger than Ziggy Stardust.