IMDb > "3 Girls 3" (1977) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"3 Girls 3" More at IMDbPro »

A summer replacement series, courtesy of NBC.

Author: movibuf1962 from Washington, DC
9 June 2003

I guess it all depends on what you remember. I was still a teenager when this series came on in the summer of 1977. In those days networks had summer replacement series, many of which were just 4 episodes for their entire run and screen tests for the networks. If they had strong ratings, the network just might take a chance on them full season. (Nowadays they've been replaced with summer reality shows.) 3G3 was such a series- only 4 episodes were taped- touted mainly as an introduction for its 3 leads more than anything else. (And it's precisely the 3 leads that viewers now remember, since some went further than others.) Mimi Kennedy was the comic of the group- and of course, eventually did "Dharma & Greg"; Ellen Foley was packaged as a kind of singing sex symbol. She eventually turned up on "Night Court" and the movie "Hair". The one who surely broke out the biggest was Debbie Allen, the Texas-born dancer whose appearance in this show paved the way for "Fame," "A Different World," and everything that followed. I enjoyed the show- such as it was- because its format was highly unusual: it alternated between a backstage sitcom with the three actresses rooming together -all hungry for their big break- and a variety show which featured them performing in front of a studio audience. (Of particular note were Mimi Kennedy doing a spoof of 'Wonder Woman-' a hit TV series at the time, and Debbie Allen doing a full spotlight dance of "A Chorus Line's" 'The Music and The Mirror.') It was a curiosity to say the least, and should be on home video. It's a fun time capsule.

I thought I dreamed this little series...

Author: soyarra-1 from United States
1 July 2005

...because like the other person who wrote about it here, I was a teen when it premiered in the late '70s, and well, my memory is faulty at best. The only reason I remembered it is because today I heard Stevie Wonder's "I Am Singing," and I suddenly recalled that these girls did a terrific version of it on this show. At first I only remembered that Allen was one of the three, but then I recalled Kennedy, who was sort of a comedy staple at the time, and then I finally put Foley together with her roles in "Hair" (the "White Boys/Black Boys" number, which also featured the late Nell Carter) and the pre-Markie Post "Night Court."

Good grief. I wish I could see this show again, if only to prove to myself that I didn't hallucinate it.

Not a bad show IMO

Author: mcthumber from United States
31 March 2008

Actually, I thought this show was pretty good and very under-rated.

The other 2 girls actually had successful careers themselves: Ellen Foley went on to star as Billie in "Night Court" and was the girl singer in Meatloaf's "Paradise by the Dashboard Light". (That is not her in the video but the girl is lip-syncing Ellen voice.) She's done quite a bit on Broadway as well.

Girl 3 was Mimi Kennedy who went on to do a lot of TV, most notably as Dharma's mother on "Dharma & Greg".

My best memory of the show-- Ellen doing a particularly evocative rendition of the Eagle's "New Kid in Town". She has a great voice.

Fizzled Variety Show

Author: hillari from Chicago, USA
27 March 2001

This was an attempt to showcase the talents of three young women. From what I remember, this was a pretty lame variety show. The production numbers were extremely bland. It didn't even last the entire season. However, the three women did go on to other things. The most successful cast member was Debbie Allen, who went on to appear in "Fame" (both the movie and the TV series), co-produce the movie "Amistad", and choreograph the dancers at the Academy Awards.