IMDb > Treasure of Matecumbe (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Treasure of Matecumbe

Treasure of Matecumbe More at IMDbPro »

Another great Disney movie....

Author: tchevyz71 from United States
3 June 2007

I first watched this movie when I was about 7 or 8 and I watched it over and over again it was so good. I wish I could see it again, but the DVD is still very hard to come by. The movie deals with a young boy and his companion who are forced to flee from their home in search of a treasure. Jim and Ben end up meeting lots of different people who can help them along the way, but they also have a lot of things happen to them that either slows them down or simply gets in their way, but none the less it's a very entertaining movie and has a good plot to it. It's a good show to see as a kid or even adult if you like stories that entail treasure hunting. It actually has a good story to it unlike some movies today that are just filled with special effects. So if you want to see a good old fashioned treasure hunting flick then you have found it.

Treasure of Matecumbe is enjoyable Disney filler for kids and maybe some adults

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
29 October 2006

This is one of those Disney flicks from the '70s that you may or might have enjoyed as a kid and while it retains some charm when you watch it as an adult, you notice some plot holes you didn't notice or were willing to overlook when you were younger. I'm 38 and this is my first time seeing Treasure of Matecumbe which I'd been meaning to watch for 20 years but somehow didn't get to. Anyway, it concerns two boys looking for a treasure in the Florida Keys. Along the way, they encounter a bride escaping from her husband to be, a medicine man, and an uncle of one of them as he's about to be lynched by the Ku Klux Klan! I'll stop right here and mention some of the players: Robert Foxworth, Joan Hackett, Peter Ustinov, Dick Van Patten, Dub Taylor, George 'Goober' Lindsey, and Jane Wyatt who died at 96 a couple of weeks ago, bless her soul. The plot is pretty entertaining though it takes a while to get going. Best sequences involve a hurricane and some pirates led by Vic Morrow. Like I said, this might be more enjoyable for kids than adults so watch it with them if you can.

Just Good Disney Fun... in Florida

Author: pbolla80 from United States
24 July 2011

This is a good Disney film; not a great one. The film has two major assets: the Florida location and Peter Ustinov. He was the reason I checked it out over a decade ago in the first place. If anything, he is the only reason to see it. The plot follows a boy (Johnny Duran) trying to find a treasure in the Florida keys that his late father buried; along the way he encounters four adventurers (Robert Foxworth, Joan Hackett, Peter Ustinov and Billy Atmore) who join him on his quest. And of course they are being pursued by a bad guy (Vic Morrow, a fine but wasted talent, like Joan Hackett, he passed away before his time). A great adult cast supporting a boy and his treasure hunt. Merely meant for kids; but I finally got it on DVD, with some scenes added that were not on the video!! Dub Taylor has a brief but comic role as Sheriff Forbes. This movie is just good fun. Ustinov, of course, had more success with Blackbeard 10 years earlier.

A very enjoyable Disney adventure romp

Author: Woodyanders ( from The Last New Jersey Drive-In on the Left
30 January 2009

The south just after the Civil War. Brave young David Burnie (likable Johnny Doran) and his equally gutsy best buddy Thad (an appealing performance by Billy Attmore) gain possession of a map for a treasure located somewhere in the Florida Keys. The lads are assisted by charming rascal Jim Burnie (a fine Robert Foxworth), spunky Southern belle Lauriette Paxton (delightfully played with radiant aplomb by Joan Hackett), and flamboyant charlatan physician Dr. Ewing T. Snodgrass (a marvelously robust portrayal by Peter Ustinov). Moreover, a rival group of scurvy pirates led by the ruthless Spangler (a perfectly nasty Vic Morrow) are also determined to get their grubby hands on the treasure. Director Vincent McEveety, working from a colorful and eventful script by Don Tait, relates the thrilling story at a constant snappy pace, maintains a lighthearted tone throughout, and offers a rich and flavorsome evocation of the 19th century deep south. Of course, there are plenty of perils faced along the way which include a run-in with the Klu Klux Klan, a lethal horde of deadly mosquitoes, and a fierce hurricane. Popping up in nice supporting parts are Mills Watson as Spangler's mean right-hand man Catrell, Jane Wyatt as the feisty Aunt Effie, Robert DoQui as friendly ex-slave Ben, Dub Taylor as the peppery Sheriff Forbes, Dick Van Patten as a flashy con artist gambler, and Brion James as a mangy thief. Both Buddy Baker's rousing score and Frank V. Phillips' crisp cinematography are up to snuff. A fun film.

Leisurely paced, but agreeable.

Author: gridoon
21 July 2001

A prettily photographed, occasionally enjoyable but rather leisurely paced Disney adventure. It features an amusing Peter Ustinov (as a good-hearted quack), some pretty good special effects (except for a mosquito attack, which looks awful) and a few unusually adult elements (one character is nearly executed by the Ku Klux Klan). The two leading kids are not irritating at all, and the film is agreeable enough, but too long and not very compelling story-wise. (**1/2)

Disney and the KKK?

Author: szetts from London, England
9 July 2004

Yes, this is the only Disney film to feature the Klu Klux Klan.

But, horrible racist morons aside, this film can be very enjoyable if you remember seeing it as a child. I remember my father taking me to see this in the theatre when I was very young, and, now that he's no longer with us, it an opportunity to relive some childhood magic. Even if it's just for a moment.

Peter Ustinov is wonderful as always.

And the opening theme music is very cheesy but COOL in a silly 70's sort of way.

If you enjoy the vibe of Disney films like "Child of Glass", you'll probably dig this one too.

Boring Disney movie

Author: Wizard-8 from Victoria, BC
6 August 2015

The Disney movie "Treasure of Matecumbe" has all but been forgotten today, and it doesn't take long into watching it to figure out why. The main fault with it is that despite it involving youths on a treasure hunt, the movie is surprisingly boring whether you are a kid or a kid at heart. There's very little action, and the movie moves at a snail's pace. Though there are signs that it could have been worse, since there are several moments when it's clear that linking footage was either edited out or not filmed at all. The cast tries their best under the circumstances, but their roles aren't written to be particularly interesting, though Ustinov does manage to bring a little color at times.

Still, I will admit that no movie that has an appearance by Dub Taylor can be completely bad.

This was the Disney I grew up with

Author: James from United States
23 May 2015

I saw this film at the cinema as a boy in 1976 and then recently online. While older me wasn't quite as impressed with it as 10 year old me, I still found it to be an entertaining Disney style romp with charming characters like Dr. Snodgrass and over the top villains like Spangler (Not very villainy sounding I know.)It has that kind of 1960's/70's live action Disney charm and a bit of corniness thrown in. Buried treasure, Gators, Indian burial grounds, and other elements, make for an exciting adventure kids and adults will both enjoy. By the way. Yes there is a brief scene with people dressed as KKK. But they are treated as buffoons and morons.

Thar's Treasure In The Florida Keys

Author: bkoganbing from Buffalo, New York
8 April 2008

Although Treasure of Matecumbe is listed as a theatrical film, it seems that it plays more like a couple of episodes from The Wonderful World of Disney.

The only reason to watch it is for Peter Ustinov who is having a great old time playing the traveling patent medicine man. This is his second film for Disney the first being Blackbeard's Ghost which was infinitely better.

Young Johnny Doran is told about a fabulous treasure hidden on Matecumbe island in the Florida Keys. He makes a Huckleberry Finn like journey on the river from Kentucky with a young black kid Billy Atmore who Doran's family would have recently owned. Along the way the two plucky lads pick up Robert Foxworth who is Doran's rascally Uncle Jim. Joan Hackett a young bride running from a hideous marriage and Ustinov.

Vic Morrow is the chief villain here leading a band of cutthroats seeking the Treasure of Matecumbe for themselves. Our intrepid band of five has more escapes from them and other villains than used to be in one of those old time movie serials. In fact Treasure of Matecumbe feels like one of them. Foxworth and Ustinov have two unbelievable escapes from certain death.

Morrow and his gang have an interesting fate in store for them which I won't reveal, but if you see the movie and think about its logical implications with the terminology used, it definitely isn't Disney type material.

For the juvenile trade and for fans of Peter Ustinov only.

A Great Family Film - Full of Laughs and Suspense!

Author: jamie-81 from San Lorenzo, California
3 December 1999

This is a great film that will keep the kids interested. The friendship between Davie and Thad is immeasurable. And the bonds that form between the adults and kids is something that is surely missed in today's cinema. Outstanding performances by Peter Ustinov and the late great Joan Hackett. On a personal note: Ms. Hackett may you rest in peace. You are surely missed....!