IMDb > Swashbuckler (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Unusual casting but fun

Author: cwdfwtx from texas
27 April 2001

You don't watch movies like this for acting . Come on its just silly fun and yes a bit bubbleheaded. Sometimes the big stars do something silly . I saw this at a drivein theater when it came out as part of a double feature . Was a fun movie and i liked the score.Robert Shaw never looked better except for Jaws . A shame he passed away just two years later . Try and spot all the big names ,like Peter Boyle ,Genivieve Bujold ,Geoffery Holder ,Beau Bridges ,Angelica Houston and James Earl Jones.Some may say a tacky mess but it was all in fun . To me a silly spoof of all those grand pirate movies of the past. Enjoy and blow off that Leonard Maltin review .He usually is off the mark.

A great, all-around FUN pirate movie for the entire family!

Author: Shamenize from Kentucky
21 April 2005

First off, you've got to remember - This is NOT "The Life & Times Of Blackbeard"! It's a fun seventies romp - The Four Musketeers on the high seas! Now that you have that in mind, read on.

How can one NOT like this movie?! It's the ONLY example of a "pirate movie" in my entire DVD collection - but it's the only one anyone needs. Robert Shaw turns in a commanding and amused performance as Red Ned Lynch - the captain of a scurvy band of pirates including James Earl Jones as Nick and Geoffrey Holder (The UNcola guy... you remember!) as Nick's knife wielding friend, Cujo. Throw in Genevieve Bujold as the damsel in distress/female interest, add Peter Boyle as the classic slimy Governor who abuses his subjects and you've got a recipe for an entertaining hour and forty minutes! Pay attention to some of the supporting character actors and you'll see quite a few you recognize from movies and TV of the time period - Avery Schrieber, Alfie Wise and Sid Haig just to name a few. And of course, we can't forget Beau Bridges as a perfectly stiff soldier and Angelica Huston as she known only as "Woman Of Dark Visage".

Plotwise, this movie has it all - a British Governor who likes to spend his days in the bath playing with ships... a twisted little DeSade in training at his beck and call... the obligatory wronged member of the British aristocracy and his family-in-need... and of course, the moronic civil servant, Major Folly, who only wants to capture Red Ned Lynch and please The Governor.

Do yourself a favor and go rent this one for the weekend - or even better, pick up the DVD. It's relatively cheap as an older catalog title and definitely a keeper. Because EVERYbody needs a good pirate flick now and again.

One of My MOST Favorite Guilty Pleasures

Author: Jeri-9 from Redondo Beach, California, USA
17 March 2001

I LOVE this movie. I don't care how terrible critics might think it is. It's fun, romantic, entertaining, an old fashioned yarn. It came out right after Robert Shaw made a "splash" in Jaws, and he's fabulous as usual. Don't let them make you feel guilty about loving this movie. It's great.

As good as Pirates of the Caribbean

Author: CromeRose from Valley Village, CA
18 February 2005

Elliott Kastner, the Executive Producer of this movie, was unfairly disliked by many people in his day, which I believe is what led to many of the critics panning this film (who cares what they say? I like to think for myself). Elliott was a great producer and an amazing entrepeneur, and he was just doing his thing like many others in Hollywood during his heyday. He was one of the most successful independent producers of all time so he must have been doing something right, and perhaps many of the people who disliked him did so out of jealousy. I saw this film for the first time recently and just have to say well done! Robert Shaw is the best pirate ever and James Earl Jones is incredible as his equal, and best friend. It's wonderful to see him so young and full of vitality! Peter Boyle is perfectly over-the-top and what can anyone say about Beau Bridges except Bravo! The film is a rollicking good time with some of the best sword fighting and stunts ever seen in a movie -- the stagecoach off the cliff beats any CGI any day of the week. I think Cutthroat Island (which is not bad in itself) is a ripoff of this film, and even Zorro with the incomparable Tony Hopkins and Catherine Zeta-Jones borrowed a little from the scene where Robert Shaw starts cutting off Genevieve Bujold's clothing in a sword fight. Watch the making of featurette on the DVD and you'll see James Earl Jones come close to serious harm while doing one of the stagecoach stunts. It's incredible. All in all, the critics should leave this movie, and Elliott, alone! Bravo!

An unjustly buried film ...

Author: Ravenswing from Kelfour's Landing
14 April 2005

... then and now.

Alright, I saw this flick as the opener for a circus in Radio City Music Hall on my first trip to NYC in 1976. I thought it grand then, and I haven't much changed my mind.

I do agree with those who think that a better villain and ingenue could have been found than Peter Boyle and Genevieve Bujold (one of the most overrated actresses of the time), but the Shaw-Jones pairing sparkles. I loved the score so much I bought the soundtrack on vinyl -- dare I hope that it may be out on CD somewhere? The flick isn't long on plot, really, but the cinematography and action are spiffy, the characterizations work, and man, is Geoffrey Holder a bad ass! It's a sprightly movie and you'll spend a fun time watching it. Who knows, you might even have limerick contests with your mates the next time you're escaping from the local militia.

Rating: 7/10

One of My Favorite "Guilty Pleasure" Movies

Author: yuga2 from United States
19 March 2006

Yeah, yeah it was blasted by the critics (eunichs in a harem). But to heck with them! Does anyone remember the term "popcorn movie?" That's what this is; a movie to just sit back and enjoy. No complicated plot, not trying to guess whodunit, no social message... And why not? Why does every film need to make a "statement?" Well, here's MY statement:

This is one of the most fun films I have ever seen. Robert Shaw was one of my favorite actors and he shines as Red Ned Lynch, using his REAL accent here. James Earl Jones is a hottie in this as is his knife throwing buddy Cujo. Beau Bridges shows a real flair for comedy, too bad he doesn't do more. Peter Boyle may not have been the perfect casting but he chews the scenery as well as he can. This is Angelica Houston's FIRST film, hence no dialogue and enigmatic casting nomenclature. In the book adaptation (yes, there is one) it's hinted that she's the Gov.'s sister & they have an incestuous relationship. I agree that Bujold is kind of out of place here but, she manages. The duel between her and Shaw is classic. "Never fight fair when yer fighting for yer life." I love that they got the Golden Hind to "play" the Blarney Cock. A forerunner to the Lady Washington's role in "Pirates of the Caribbean." The small roles are played by character actors of high caliber. The stunts... good lord! Do you EVER think they'd do that wagon stunt again? Great stunt team!

And the soundtrack is awesome! I used to listen to it over and over. (My poor puzzled Mother.. she never got why I would listen to soundtracks.) John Addison should have been honored for this one. Like the chase music from "Jaws", it evokes a feel of the sea; wild and open and flowing. Gorgeous. The cinematography is beautiful. Jamaica is a beautiful place to shoot so how could they go wrong?

I'm a pirate lover. Have been all my life. To me, this feels more true to the spirit of the real pirate than the Errol Flynn and older ones (Not knocking them - they're great, too). One thing I always point out is that the "head" is at the front of the ship, over the water. A tiny detail, yet adding to the realism. The movie is full of these little details.

So, you say you like pirate movies? Have a couple hours, a bowl of popcorn, a beer (or soft drink) and want to laugh and have some fun? You could do a lot worse than watch this film. Be sure to try to get the Widescreen version. And never forget, "I'm not a gentleman... I'm an Irishman!"

remember what movies are for . . . . . . . ??

Author: traderviqz from United States
31 August 2005

If one can simply recall that movies are to take us away, whether from or to is personally specific, then it would take a profoundly negative person to think poorly of any well made and well acted movie. This is such a flick, decently focused relative to plot, well chosen costuming and locations, great cinematography . . . what more can you ask? If you want a 'film', with all its highbrow silliness, it's true you might not wanna go there with this one, but jeez, does anyone who only goes to 'films' even tell anyone else they know that they're painfully pretentious? This one has no pretensions, and since when is Genevieve in any state of undress a minus? Good entertainment, which is what I want when i spend money on a movie, and Swashbuckler delivers with aplomb.

Amusing adventures with intrepid pirates and exotic scenarios

Author: ma-cortes
8 September 2010

Heroism , sword-play , ambushes and full of villainy swashbuckler . The film is a nice pirate-adventures movie , lavishly produced by recently deceased Elliott Kastner with habitual dueling, dungeon getaways , disguises and sexual hostility between hero and heroine . This classic story of romantic adventure comes to life enriched by Technicolor cinematography and accompanied by an excellent score . It is the tale of a buccaneer named Ned Lynch ( Robert Shaw recent his success in ¨Jaws¨ ) who takes over a ship of corsairs and wreak havoc on the high seas . The pirate join forces to Nick ( James Earl Jones of ¨Conan¨) and a knife-throwing giant (Geoffrey Holder of ¨Live and let die¨). They square off their nemesis, the viceroy of Jamaica ( Peter Boyle of ¨Young Frankestein¨) and his hoodlums ( a stiff and idiot Beau Bridges ). They're going a buccaneer settlement where meet the plundered judge's daughter (Genevieve Bujold of ¨Fascination¨) . Meanwhile, viceroy wishes a shipment of gold to transport from Jamaica until Spain . Then , they decide to take the ruler headquarter , the location strongest fortified from Jamaica.

This is an agreeable entertainment juvenile romp well written by Jeffrey Bloom . The movie displays in grandiose style noisy action, swashbuckler, heroism , swordplay , slapdash , overwhelming fights, fist-play and humor with tongue in cheek . This release has some nice and even hilarious moments here and there , though isn't always interesting , sometimes is diverting and fresh and on a couple of sympathetic occasions is frankly delicious . Robert Shaw is cool as the pirate hero who finds dangerous situations while trying rob the shipment and save damsel in distress . This adventure movie with a high budget of multi-million of dollars packs breathtaking places , sea-fight and amusing plot . It's enriched by colorful cinematography reflecting spectacularly sea beaches by cameraman Philip Lathtrop filmed in location in Puerta Vallarta, Jalisco, Mexico and Singapore Lake, Backlot, Universal Studios, Universal City Plaza, California . Furthermore , lively and impressive musical score by John Addison . The motion picture is well directed by James Golstone ( Roller-coaster , When time ran out ). This standard and entertaining 7o's swashbuckling that combines with certain gusto all staples of the genre to be liked for Robert Shaw and Genevieve Bujold fans. Rating : Good , worthwhile watching .

Corny but cute

Author: didi-5 from United Kingdom
10 February 1999

Despite Maltin's great slagging-off of this movie (has he actually seen it, I wonder??), I reckon it was a little gem in an era when a lot of filmmakers took themselves and their work far too seriously! Guaranteed to lift the blues on any bad day, it may be a bit corny, it might have been misguided to make a pirate flick in the mid-70s, but there are certainly a lot worse examples of the genre around, and this one is quite a cute and appealing film.

Enjoyable farce

Author: Robert Reynolds ( from Tucson AZ
10 May 2000

The reviewer of this film in Leonard Maltin's Guide called this a bomb. While it is not the greatest movie of all time, there are definitely enough moments that make the movie worth watching. It's probably Beau Bridges' best work, Avery Schrieber is wonderful, Geoffrey Holder is stupendous and to top it off, James Earl Jones is in the movie! That alone makes it not a bomb in my book. It's a fun, mindless movie that I found delightful.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]