IMDb > Shadow of the Hawk (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Shadow of the Hawk More at IMDbPro »

Much more than just a horror movie!!!

Author: James Christopher Wierzbicki (filmbuff-31) from Salida, California, U.S.A.
9 June 2007

Shadow of the Hawk is a film that can be viewed on many levels. It is at once a parable about the use of power and a young man's conflicted response to his vocation. I am speaking of power as it is defined in various North American Indian traditions. Power in such traditions is neither good nor evil in itself. It is the person using it who is good or evil and uses it to those ends. It is in the portrayal of black vs. white magic that the film has serious flaws, introducing non-Native American elements for dramatic effect. Nevertheless, the essential understanding that power has the potential for personal enlightenment or self-destruction manages to come through. There is also the drama of the vision quest operating here. The vision quest, found in the traditions of many North American Indian tribes, is a experience through which one conquers one's fears in a journey which culminates in a crucial aspect of self-knowledge. All of these elements, aided by the entrancing scenery throughout, combine to make this film well worthwhile viewing.

Eerie and mysterious Native American witchery.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
9 August 2010

The aging Indian medicine man Old Man Hawk arrives in the city to to find his grandson Mike.Old Man Hawk is fighting a magical war with the witch Dsonqua who was executed two hundred years before and is now seeking revenge.Reluctant at first Mike decides to help his grandfather,but during their way to home Dsonqua increases her magical powers."Shadow of the Hawk" is an eerie tale of Native American witchery.The white Indian mask is creepy as hell as are mysterious spells and magic rituals.The scene where black car smashes into the invisible wall is truly chilling and memorable.The demonic Wendigo wind is also a nice touch.9 spells out of 10.An effectively eerie and forgotten horror film.

Effective, spooky 70's thriller - amazing Canadian scenery!

Author: robespierre9 from Colorado
16 August 2008

I would classify this as a horror/suspense movie. It deals with Native American black magic in the beautiful Canadian forests of British Columbia. Jan Michael Vincent plays Mike, or young "Hawk" (which is funny since in Airwolf he's HAWKE too!) who has to come to terms with an old Indian curse which is troubling his grandfather. Arriving in Vancouver(?), his grandfather persuades him and a journalist, Maureen, to drive him back to his Indian village. Meanwhile, Jan has been haunted by a really spooky, white-faced, grotesque mask that freaks him out at night and in the pool with his girlfriend. Apparently an ancient Indian witch is trying to destroy his grandfather, and now him! There are some really creepy moments in this movie. There's a Stephen King like 50's car with blackened windows that appears and reappears eerily. Weird things happen to Jan's 70's style SUV while driving - the breaks go out, a tire almost falls off. In the forest, a bear tries to kill JMV. Just a a lot of black magic evil abounds!! Anyway, Jan eventually comes to terms and confronts the evil in the Indian village after going through a 'ritual' of sorts. I think the scenery is the best part about this film. It has that 'X Files' look of spooky Canadian forests - just stunning mountain vistas. The movie is effective enough to keep you creep-ed out. This is a great Jan Michael Vincent role for his early career. I wouldn't call is great acting, but he does maintain his 'cool' while still showing skepticism and caution at all the strange happenings around him. Plus, he looks great! That's probably the best reason to see this movie - for JMV fans especially!

A young man must reluctantly come to grips with his heritage.

Author: Murray Melander (gallard@access1.net) from Seattle, Wa.
5 April 2000

Jan Michael Vincent is very good in this role as "Hawk", the grandson of a Native American medicine man, played by the venerable Chief Dan George. The plot? He must return to his tribe to safeguard them from an evil spirit. Along the journey through absolutely beautiful Northwest woods, Hawk, his grandfather and girlfriend must face attacks from both spirit and flesh and blood foes. An exciting and sometimes rather spooky road-trip. I give it ***1/2 out of *****.

I really enjoy this movie

Author: nardini from Canada
14 May 2005

This movie like a lot of them made in the 70's contains an interesting plot and some substance. It gives a subtle touch of spirituality and some thrilling scenes of action and even creepiness. The characters seem convincing in their roles and the old man ( played by Chief Dan George) has a lot of personality in which he speaks very little being a very wise powerful medicine man. The other characters seem to pull of f their roles as well with the acting being realistic and not forced or awkward. I found the suspense in this movie to be "real" without all the special effects thrown in to make it look over the top and ridiculous like a lot of action flicks out there today. I guess you can think of this movie as one that leaves you with a good feeling at the end. The score of nine may seem a little high but I feel it really deserves it , due to it's subtle way of telling the story and leaving it up to the person watching the film to exercise their imagination. Also I think being someone who saw this film when it originally was released it brings back some memories and didn't disappoint years later when I watched it again for maybe the third or fourth time. A lot of movies that you had watched growing up appear a little different as you remember them but this one is in good standing. I also think that this movie is my favourite among the Native North American themes.

Quick an simple. One possible spoiler.

Author: Ilharn from United States
3 October 2013

This is my first review . This show is well worth a watch, It shows very well how we can deny who we are all we want but it will still affect you. The conflict of serving self vs serving all is clear, excepting who you like it or not. The 1970's was not the best time for accurate depiction of native American tribal rites but they did fair,I'm sure Dan George did his best. After all he was chief of the Burrard Band of North Vancouver, British Columbia. I myself have been through a dream quest I found some of the things in the movie similar. I personally enjoy every show Dan George has been in, he adds a bit of real to his parts. I thought Jan-Michael Vincent did a pretty good job making his character believable. The obvious thing to me was the evil spirit has decided to return and the tribal shaman feels he's to weak to stop it alone, so off he goes to get his heir (grandson Mike) to help him. I'm no shaman but I think the training takes awhile but Mike is a natural and with a little guidance from Hawk he takes to the fight all the while evil followers try to stop them. The way evil works is really shown well in this film. In short remember when it was filmed and enjoy its a great show with many life lessons .

enough here to engage those looking for something a little different.

Author: christopher-underwood from Greenwich - London
6 March 2013

A likable enough film that didn't really grab a hold of me. Chief Dan George, previously seen in Little Big Man, made earlier and Outlaw Josey Wales, made the same year was born in 1899 on a Canadian Indian reservation and here plays an old medicine man seeking to pass on his powers (and responsibilities) to his grandson as he makes his way back to his village for the last time. There are some amazing sequences, notably a hand to hand fight with a black bear and others involving a strange car and a rope and slat bridge high above the rapids. Indeed the Canadian location shooting is ever impressive and if the tale starts to drift towards the end there is enough here to engage those looking for something a little different.

If you like the X-files or Twin Peaks you will enjoy this movie ..

Author: jarkko_inkovaara from Canada
16 September 2005

It's been about 20 years since i've seen Shadow of the Hawk ,i remember i came on TV quite often in the early 80's and i even taped it once , watched it multiple times and enjoyed it more with each viewing . The movie kind of has a "X-files" feel to it being spooky and mysterious the British Columbia wilderness gave it a very haunting feel much like the X-files and Twin Peaks had.I remember the spirit with the "white mask" gave me shivers ,especially when it attacked Jan- Micheal Vincent in the pool at he beginning of the film that was freaky ,and stalked the main characters throughout the film .I was fascinated by Chief Dan George and his character in the film ,his appearance alone with the long white hair and weathered face made you believe he was the wise old Indian who had great power and knowledge ,the most impressive effect in the film was the invisible "wall" he made to stop a pursuing car . At the beginning of the film Jan- Micheal Vincent's character rejects his native heritage but as the film progresses he sees it is his destiny and accepts his heritage to fight evil ,the Pacific northwest Indian culture is fascinating and it is nice to see it explored with this film . This movie is impossible to find on DVD or VHS and doesn't get played on TV much more either ,which is a pity because it is very entertaining i gave it a 9 out of 10 because of the many times i enjoyed watching it and the fact i think it is a good film .

the first scariest movie i ever saw alone

Author: robulos900 from United States
12 August 2006

at 14 years old this movie scared the living bejesus out of me. ultimately, it is responsible for my love of being scared to this very day. i actually scratched my legs to the bleeding point through sheer nerves. i have never seen it since. i have not bothered to check on its availability, and i don't know that i want to. i hate disappointment. the last movie that threw me for such a loop was Phantasm. it was my first DVD purchase and by the time i got it all hooked up and running, it was late and i was all alone. i couldn't finish the movie til the next day, sunshine and daydreams! but enough of that movie, this was a milestone.

Very well made film!!

Author: BigLaxFan94 from Mono, Ontario - Canada
26 December 2003

I first watched this film back in 1980 when first acquiring my love for Native people of the Americas. The last time it was on TV was back in 1987 and it was a good thing I taped it because it was the last time shown on TV.

This is an all round good film. However there are a couple of false misconceptions that viewers must know. First of all, regarding the spirit Dsonoqua (the awesome looking white mask)--> she in fact is the Cannibal Woman of the Woods who captured and ate disobedient children who misbehaved. She was NEVER an "evil spirit" who went after people whose ancestors "put her to death" more than 200 years earlier like the way the film portrays. That was just added in to help create suspense.

The other misconception ... the voodoo dolls of Mike and Old Man Hawk were only used to add more suspense. The reality is that the First Nations of the Northwest Coast never practised voodoo.

Anyways ... I give the film a 9 because of my love for all the original People of the Western Hemisphere ... not trying to be biased in any way. ONLY my opinion. Most other viewers gave the movie a 6, which is fine. Everyone sees the film differently from different viewpoints. But I would certainly recommend this to all Canadian film fans.