IMDb > Safari Express (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Safari Express More at IMDbPro »

Ursula is great

Author: victor cioroparu from Timisoara, Romania
15 August 2003

Definitely, this movie is for the people who like to see a sexy woman beating dozens of men! Of course, the sexy woman is played by Ursula Andress, who fights wearing high heels and a very sexy dress! There is a scene where she is prisoner of a tribe's chief and she starts to seduce him, raising up her dress, showing us her magnificent legs! Then she says to him:"Close your eyes and I will kiss you". He close his eyes and she take a big vase and break his head, leaving him out cold! Then she escapes and beats up about 25 guys! It is very possible to become a masochist watching Ursula Andress beating men!

SAFARI EXPRESS (Duccio Tessari, 1976) **1/2

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
28 December 2007

More by accident than design, my Christmas film viewings this year have been punctuated by a nostalgic flavor which has taken me back to my childhood days, either through films which I haven't watched since – the Fairy Tale Popeye cartoons, Abbott & Costello's JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (1952), the two Lou Ferrigno HERCULES movies, etc. – or ones which I recall being released theatrically at the time but which I hadn't managed to catch up with until now (examples of which I should be getting to over this coming weekend).

It follows, therefore, that the film under review is another one pertaining to the former group: actually, this is the second of two similar movies with the same trio of leads (albeit two of whom are playing different characters) and the same African setting – the first was entitled Africa EXPRESS and had been released the previous year. Giuliano Gemma reprises the role of John Baxter, ex-WWII fighter pilot turned African tourist guide extraordinaire, Ursula Andress is a nurse whose traumatic experience when her missionary camp was attacked by a horde of bloodthirsty natives made her lose her memory and Jack Palance is a shady Dutch engineer with an eye on the uranium supplies recently discovered in the vicinity of that camp. Gemma is flanked by Biba, his amiable chimp companion whose fits of jealousy (sparked by Gemma, understandably, straying in his affections for it when he meets the sultry Andress), drunken antics and "erotic dreams" (one of which opens the film itself) are often the source of amusement for the viewer.

Although I had also watched its predecessor on Italian TV, it's been so long ago that I can't hope to make any sensible comparisons with this one: still, despite finding the film enjoyable enough today, I guess I was more tolerant of such mindless fare then because it seemed that, even at 93 minutes, the pace dragged slightly in spots; besides, Palance's come-uppance is pretty lame. For the record, there are also a colorful assortment of supporting characters: Enzo Bottesini as Gemma's greedy, ill-fated partner who, at one point, is involved in a rousing fistfight with Gemma which sees them hitting dining tourists with umbrellas!; Giuseppe Maffiolo, also reprising his role of the missionary suffering carnal temptations because of Andress; Peter Martell - who, Gemma reveals in the DVD supplements, was the first choice for the role of Trinity before having to bail out in favor of Terence Hill because of a broken leg {see my comments above on BLACKIE THE PIRATE [1971]} - as a real twit of a British sergeant; an uncredited actor playing the leader of the natives who, of course, is a good friend of Gemma's and who, in his futile attempts to have a male heir, fathered eleven daughters and might well strangle his wife and the witch doctor if the former doesn't deliver next time, etc. The ubiquitous De Angelis brothers, Guido & Maurizio, typically provide a nicely percussive score – although I wouldn't say this was one of their most memorable works.

One strange "sequel"

Author: gridoon2015
4 March 2008

I mean, think about it: Giuliano Gemma plays the SAME character he does in "Africa Express". He runs a different business now, but he still has the same (very smart) pet chimp, and the same priest friend with the same pet parrot who talks only when he decides to. Ursula Andress and Jack Palance return as well, but they're playing DIFFERENT characters. This really doesn't make a whole lot of sense - how can Gemma's character not even acknowledge the striking physical similarities between these two people and the ones he had met in his previous adventure? At least they could have made them twin siblings or something. Other than that, "Safari Express" is about on the same quality level as its predecessor: recommended mainly to undiscriminating viewers - for example, to those who rate EVERY Bud Spencer - Terence Hill movie a perfect "10". Ursula, at age 40, was still one of the hottest women around; it's the long, tedious stretches in which she does not appear that kill this movie. (**)