IMDb > The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Pretty funny, but overall so-so.

Author: movielover200
6 September 2004

In the fourth of the Pink Panther series, The Pink Panther Strikes Again, Inspector Clouseau must save the world from his former boss, Former Chief Inspector Dreyfuss, who has been driven mad by him. In this one. Inspector (now Chief Inspector) Clouseau has even more clumsiness, fights with Cato, unwillingly drives Dreyfuss up the wall, and mispronounces more words. The fourth in the series. Directed by Blake Edwards. Starring Peter Sellers and Herbert Lom.

Grade: 5/10

MPAA Rating: PG

My Rating: Ages 13 and up (comic violence, sexual innuendo)

The newest, craziest Panther of all!

Author: coffeekid21 from Canada
12 March 2004

(Spoilers Alert)

The title of my review basically summarizes `The Pink Panther Strikes Again'. It had some very funny moments but at the same time was a bit bizarre as well.

In the story, Inspector Clouseau has taken over as Chief Inspector of the Surete since his ex-boss Dreyfuss is recovering in the mental hospital. Dreyfuss has recovered well though and at the outset we find out he is scheduled for release from the hospital. But when Clouseau pays him a visit, Dreyfuss snaps and goes back to his old crazy self. Dreyfuss eventually escapes from the hospital and begins to devise a dangerous scheme. Gathering a group of thugs, he captures a British professor who is capable of making a sort of deathray. Dreyfuss then threatens to destroy the earth. The only thing he asks is for Clouseau's destruction so the world community says OK. But the incredibly clumsy Clouseau is saved once again by his dumb luck. One that allows him to avoid being knocked-off by 26 of the world's top assassins!

As I said, this Panther episode had some great moments. Some of the best scenes occur when Clouseau is sent in to Professor Fassenbender's manor to investigate his kidnapping. There some great gags in that part, especially Clouseau goes flying off a set of parallel bars! What I didn't like about this Panther though was that the humor has sort of lost the charm it had in the first two movies. Clouseau is simply too clownish in this movie, which wasn't the case in the first two films, maybe because he hams up French accent too much (possibly because Peter Sellers was no longer as confident portraying the character). Also the plot is very bizarre. The whole concept of the death ray looks like something out of a Bugs Bunny cartoon. Still, if you can ignore these things, you'll find this is one of the best `Pink Panther' episodes. Check this out and get ready for some good laughs.

Star Rating: 3 out of 5.

Arguably the funniest of the Clouseau caper comedies

Author: george.schmidt (gpschmidt67@gmail.com) from fairview, nj
16 April 2003

THE PINK PANTHER STRIKES AGAIN (1976) ***1/2 Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom, Lesley-Anne Down, Bert Kwok. Arguably the funniest of the series with Sellers in top form as inept Inspector Clouseau out to stop former Chief Inspector Dreyfuss (Lom in perfect foil unfoiled form; one giant tic) from destroying the world with a lethal laser. Some classic moments of slapstick hilarity especially Clouseau being "attacked" by his house boy Kato (Kwok) in slo-mo, his endless disguises and finally this little bit of business between a hotel clerk: Clouseau: "Duz your doggg bite?" Clerk: (shakes head negative), Clouseau goes to pet doggie who promptly bites him. Clouseau (incredulous): "I thought you said your doggg doeszn't bite!" Clerk: "Dat iz not my doggg." Directed with masterly skill by Blake Edwards.

The best one out of the series.

Author: Boba_Fett1138 from Groningen, The Netherlands
3 May 2008

This is just one of those movies that, no matter how many times I've watched it, is an hilarious comedy that genuinely makes me laugh.

What I often love about Blake Edwards' comedies is his almost cartoon like approach of it. This is like a life action road runner/Wile E. Coyote movie. Along with "The Great Race" this is perhaps his most cartoon like comedy. The slapstick and timing of it in this movie is amazing and it of course also obviously work out due to the comical brilliance of Peter Sellers.

Out of all the Pink Panther movies this is the one with the most laughs and classic comical moments in it. Great moments such as the slow motion fight between Clouseau & Cato (it's the best Clouseau vs. Cato fights out of the whole series), in which Dreyfus also somehow gets involved, the Oktoberfest sequence, the questioning of the staff, Clouseau trying to enter the château, Clouseau disguised as a dentist and I'm sure I'm forgetting many more great sequences. It are all moments that just bound to make you laugh, even if you really don't want to.

For the comedy and the story itself is actually quite lame and predictable. You can often see things coming from miles away but this seriously doesn't make it any less funny to watch. Perhaps its even somehow part of the reason why it works out so incredibly hilarious. It's obvious that Blade Edwards and Peter Sellers both were lovers and inspired by the slapstick comedies of the '20's and early '30's. This movie features the same type of comical approach but not in an old fashioned way. The Clouseau character is still 'modern' and the approach original, even if it all has done somewhere else before.

Of course most credit goes to Peter Sellers. He was a brilliant comedian who never tried to be funny but simply just was funny. The way he handles all of the comedy within this movie is just brilliant. It are not just the antics but also the accent and other small subtle things that made him great and turned Chief Insp. Jacques Clouseau into an absolute classic comedy character. Even if you've never seen a Pink Panther movie you still know who Jacques Clouseau is.

But also the other actors deserve credit. Especially Herbert Lom, who just as Sellers doesn't try to be funny and instead plays a mean hateful character, who at the same time is of course totally hilarious. He is especially great in the scenes with Sellers, the two of them had some great interaction and chemistry together.

If you've never seen a Pink Panther movie and you have to see just one, be sure to watch this one. It's the absolute best and most hilarious one!

I Love all the original Pink Pathers

Author: joe-cronin from United States
22 April 2006

The Pink Panther movies are great and Herbert Lom (Chief Inspector Dreyfus) is absolutely the funniest part (Next to Sellers of course).

If you have seen this movie you will understand the following: I'm 42 and recently had a bad snowboarding accident, I suffered a pelvic dislocation, internal bleeding and a severe concussion that caused a mini-stroke in my brain, anyway the recovery has been sorta slow for the brain part and people keep asking me how I feel and how I am doing (as is normal), well the only thing I can think to say is "EVERY DAY IN EVERY WAY, I'M GETTING BETTER AND BETTER" well if you have seen this movie you know that is what Chief inspector Dreyfuss says to the shrink that is caring for him at the mental hospital at the beginning of the movie. It makes me chuckle every time I think of it or say it. I know this probably sounds sorta goofy but in my condition every little thing helps.

Joe

One of the best movies ever made

Author: DonutLover from United States
20 February 2007

If you love a movie that you can watch a thousand times over, and always find something funny in it, then this is a movie for you. My family and I can watch this and relax, any time, and find comforting humor in so many scenes. The night my first child was born, I was in the hospital and it hurt so much to laugh, but I couldn't stop because that scene where Clouseau's nose is melting was on, and it was priceless!! I'll always love this move. ( apparently I haven't written enough here ). The other night on Discovery Channel, I watched a special on asteroids, and how the heck can we prevent them from smashing into earth? I thought if only we could develop that technology that the kidnapped scientist creates, whereby he dissolves the UN building......funny funny okay I wrote enough.

Actually, I think I liked this one better than the first two

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
19 June 2006

The Pink Panther Strikes Again is the completion to the trilogy of the Pink Panther. Once again the detective is up to his clumsy ways of trying to save the world away from a man who has a machine that will make very important things disappear, maybe even a city or country! My favorite scene was definitely when the detective dresses up as a dentist and comes to the villain's toothache pains. The laughing gas gets to both of them and together they just have a good time pulling out teeth that don't need to be pulled out. This is a pretty entertaining movie and I'm now kind of interested in seeing the remake. Hopefully it's a good one.

Back she is the Panther

Author: Dr Jacques COULARDEAU from Olliergues, France
28 July 2010

Everything is special about these films, all of them even the postmortem one. The plot is not interesting. It is as empty as empty can be since it is not a thriller but a comedy and it does not pretend to be a thriller. As comedies these films are all of them absolutely superb. The gags, the antics, the absurd funny events are all just as laughable as you may both imagine and hope. And yet these films are a lot more than just comedies. They are in a way very dramatic, but on the side. Chief Inspector Clouzeau is by far one of the best characters I have ever seen in that line and consistent enough to last four films plus a post mortem. The character is so illogical in his logic that you cannot but laugh and laugh and laugh again: he is pathetic. He is an anti-Sherlock-Holmes with the simple logic of doing exactly the reverse of what standard logic would tell you should do. He is an anti-Hercule-Poirot since he is in no way calm and collected. He is looking for trouble, he is creating trouble because trouble brings the wolf out of the wood and then he gets what he wants, the wolf itself generally in an overkill or cosmic catastrophe. In fact Hercule is his assistant. You could think of Colombo and his very special trench coat and sloppiness, but even Colombo is short when compared with Inspector Clouzeau. There used to be a female private eye on TV with a black panther. But she can't compare since our panther is pink, like the famous elephants. Amos Burke is no equal to our hero because Amos was born with a golden spoon in his mouth. Murphy is no catch either because that one is beyond the line of standard police work and has to do with plotting and networking and the gangsterism of the next generation that only aims at killing and certainly not at making their bystanders laugh. He can in no way be compared to Miss Marple or whatever other famous private dilettante detective. He is his own and no one else's. But the films without Peter Sellers would not be even worth watching. Peter Sellers himself in his faces, in his antics, in his way of speaking a type of Frenglish that even the characters in "Allo Allo" did not match in spite of all their efforts, in every single element of his acting and behaving he is funny and hilarious, and at the same time touching and sensitive. He has a heart, in spite of all. The music is a marvel and a miracle of film music. It is so perfect that they could not even try to get away from it. The animated credits with the real Pink Panther are in their own style masterpieces. There is no deeper analysis you can do because these films are not deep, and yet. Why is our society so thrilled by such funny comedies making fun of the French policeman, of the French gendarme, of the French detective and inspector? Because I guess in France making fun of their national Chickens has become a national Olympic sport, even in advertising. They have been compared to all kinds of animals and what's more every Frenchy finds that funny, except maybe the Minister of Interior who is responsible for security. But the day when the French Froggies are not able to laugh, or croak, at their cops or coppers, the world will really be finished, incinerated and disposed of. Let's never dream of such a bad ending to the present thriller our lives are.

Dr Jacques COULARDEAU, University Paris 1 Pantheon Sorbonne, University Paris 8 Saint Denis, University Paris 12 Créteil, CEGID

the best of the first four

Author: disdressed12 from Canada
29 November 2009

for me,this this forth installment of the Pink Panther series is the best of the first four.i not only found it entertaining,but i also thought the story was interesting.this film did not have many spots that lagged.it was fairly fast paced,and amusing.it starts off quickly and never really slows down.Herbert Lom is great here as former Chief Inspector Dreyfus***spoiler ahead who,after spending three years in an insane asylum thanks to Clouseau,escapes from the asylum and hatches a scheme to kill Clouseau once and for all.***end of spoiler.of course,things don't quite work out the way they should.for me,The Pink Panther Strikes Again is a 6/10

Uncredited appearance by Christopher Reeve

Author: donald2007 from Canada
7 February 2009

Halfway into the movie I saw an "extra", a cop, who was almost certainly Christopher Reeve. I checked Reeve's IMDb page and he could have been an extra when this movie was made. Reeve didn't even get any credit in the credits to this movie. Someone should confirm this and add Reeve to the IMDb credits.

This was one of the first movies I ever saw in a theatre. It made quite an impact on me. The humor, the plot, the sensuality, the Pink Panther, and most especially Peter Sellers. All imprinted on my mind.

Not long after Christopher Reeve starred in Superman and it made an even bigger impression.

Page 5 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]