IMDb > The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

So much better than the new one

Author: cyoungjohnson from United States
20 June 2006

The Pink Panther Srikes Again is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The Pink Panther 2006 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Rent Strikes Again instead and enjoy humor that is not forced or faked. It's so brilliant mostly because of Peter Sellers, his believable and not forced delivery. I laughed until I cried. Herbert Lom was also perfection in this movie. Who could ever forget that crazy laugh? I miss Kato in the new versions also. When the French policeman came on as a poor Kato substitute in the 2006 film I was embarrassed for him. How painful the bad accents and bad acting must have been to endure. Beyonce was the worst. I give this movie 10 stars not only because it is the funniest thing I have ever seen, but because it is so much better than the Steve Martin version. Strikes Again is a classic. 2006 Panther is a disgrace.

Kato! I'm on the Phone!!!

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
24 October 2000

Oh my lord...I never laughed as hard as I did when I first saw this one....What a scream. A terrifically funny flick indeed. Where do you begin? The plunger arrow on Lom's forehead-'Kill! Kill! Kill!', the fast and furious fight with Kato, complete with floating Hunchback of Notre Dame sequence and air-hose escape scene...oh my God....Love the laughing gas scene with Clouseau and Lom...oh that one is priceless.

Lesley Anne Down as a fur coat and little else garbed Russian Spy is worth a watch too. I liked her then, I do now.

Essentially you can't go wrong with this one; it's the best in the series and makes me laugh very, very hard.

And yeah, 'Ford and Kissinger' are great too..

***1/2 outta **** oh this one is a scream

Clouseau comedy strikes again!

Author: OllieSuave-007 from California, USA
2 May 2014

This is the fifth film in the original Pink Panther series, returning Peter Sellers as Jacques Clouseau, who finds himself a target from the mentally-challenged Charles Dreyfus (Herbert Lom). The intrigue starts when Dreyfus builds a Doomsday machine and then demand someone kills Clouseau, or else he will use the machine to destroy cities. This leads to endless fun adventures where 22 assassins from all over the world are tracking Clouseau, while he himself tries to find Dreyfus and commit him back to the asylum.

Sellers' continued ineptness and bungling personality as Clouseau make this a very hilarious film as physical comedy and slapstick humor fill up the screen endlessly. The obsessive Charles Dreyfus brilliantly demonstrates how one's ineptness and clumsiness could drive someone off-the-charts, making him a pretty formidable villain in the film. Burt Kwok as Cato Fong gave another memorable and hilarious performance as Clousseau's servant/sidekick and Leslie-Anne Down as Olga gave a charming performance opposite Clouseau.

The fun crime story, adventures, and non-stop physical comedy continue in this film, along with Henry Mancini's memorable music themes and the animated opening and ending titles featuring the Pink Panther cartoon character, with some great direction from Blake Edwards.

Grade B+

A New Twist On The Old Scenario

Author: bigverybadtom from United States
26 August 2013

In "A Shot In The Dark" and "Return Of The Pink Panther", both ended with Clouseau having driven his boss Dreyfus insane with his ineptitude. This time, Dreyfus had undergone mental treatment and has supposedly been cured-but when Clouseau comes back, it's back to square one.

Except this time Dreyfus escapes from custody-and HE becomes the villain Clouseau has to find and deal with! Hiring some henchmen, he kidnaps a scientist and forces him to build a doomsday machine with far-reaching destructive powers, a la a James Bond villain. His demand-Clouseau must die, or he will rain destruction upon any part of the world he chooses.

This is better than the prior movie, at least in terms of story. Then- US President Gerald Ford is shown stumbling like Clouseau (he had such a reputation then), Clouseau manages to cause other people misery with his stumbling, but he does use genuine detective work to find his way to the castle where Dreyfus has his lair. It could have been better-for instance the scene where Clouseau is at Oktoberfest in West Germany and all sorts of assassins try and fail to kill him falls flat. Also there are irrelevant scenes of "stumbling for a laugh", though not as many as in the prior movie.

The best of the 1970's series movies, but the original two are far superior.

It's "Getting Better Each Day."

Author: BaronBl00d (baronbl00d@aol.com) from NC
18 November 2012

"Sinister Forces are at work" - Yes, Blake Edwards, Henry Mancini, and Peter Sellers combine their incomparable talents once again in, what is for me, the most hilarious, farcial, and funniest Pink Panther movie. Don't get me wrong - A Shot in the Dark is the best of the films. No doubt here or argument either. But this one is my favorite(not a lot more but I grew up with this one...so nostalgia has a firm hold on my viewpoint). This time around Chief Inspector Drefuss(actually former Chief Inspector Drefuss) is languishing in a mental facility. He appears to be cured of his obsessive hatred for Clouseau(the current Chief Inspector). On the day he is to be released, Clouseau pays him one of the funniest visits ever. We get head hit with croquet ball, stepping on a rake, falling into the water - twice - a rubberized arrow in the forehead, a bench that falls on one side when one person gets up, and more. That is before we even get to the credits. By the end of this opening scene Herbert Lom as Drefuss is all ready gesticulating wildly, rolling his eyes and having the best screen nervous tick I have ever seen. Well the gorgeously animated and scored credits come on and then we get a hilarious view of Clouseau's home, the inevitable "meeting" between him and Cato - and then Clouseau dressed as the Hunchback of Notre dame whilst Drefuss tries to kill him from the floor underneath. Gold. The rest of the film goes on with similar scenes. The scene where Couseau addresses a group of servants at an English manor(yes, the parallel bars), the one where he is at the all-men's club, the Octoberfest(a killer montage), or while he is trying to scale a German castle and when he finally gets in dressed as an old dentist. Sellers, Edwards, and Mancini and a host of great comedic talents like Kwouk, Lom, Leonard Rossiter, Colin Blakely, Andre Maranne(as Francois), Grahm Stark(as the man who does not have a dog that bites), and Michael Robbins as "the incomparable Aimsley Jarvis(great character bit here - I always laugh when he "belts" out "Until you loved me") make this a welcoming, zany, laugh-riot. I loved this movie when it came out and I was not quite ten. I saw it again recently and loved it all the more. It is almost flawless with its non-stop barrage of intended laughs. The guys playing the President of the United States and Henry Kissinger even do a great job lampooning them! Let's not forget Lesley-Anne Down as Olga. Breath-taking even if it is a small role(that is Omar Shariff as her initial great lover). Edwards really uses lots of farcial techniques in this one like the scene with Olga in Clouseau's bed or the grappling of the castle scene around the moat. Add Henry Mancini's beautiful score(particularly in those two scenes) and it is comedic ballet. What can I say about Sellers? He is genius personified. Lom is great. In many ways this is his film. He looks so mad. He plays one of the best insane men in screen history for my money. How about the nitrous oxide scene..."It's Clouseau...Kill him!" Great stuff.

Peter Sellers strikes, Herber Lom cries

Author: Petri Pelkonen (petri_pelkonen@hotmail.com) from Finland
20 April 2011

Former Chief Inspector Dreyfus is totally crazy and wants to kill Inspector Jacques Clouseau.He escapes from the psychiatric hospital and comes up with an evil plan.He forces a nuclear physicist professor to build a doomsday weapon.Can Clouseau escape Dreyfus' deadly plan? Or will he die of his own clumsiness? That, and much more you will find out in The Pink Panther Strikes Again.Blake Edwards, who we sadly lost at 88 last December, is the director of the movie, naturally.It's from 1976 and it's the fifth film in the series.Peter Sellers is once again on a roll as Clouseau, despite the fact he was in ill health and not the easiest person to work with.You've got to love Herbert Lom as Dreyfus with his eye twitching.Colin Blakely is great as Alec Drummond.Leonard Rossiter is excellent as Superintendent Quinlan.Lesley-Anne Down is quite sexy as Olga Bariosova.Burt Kwouk is fantastic as the attacking manservant Cato.Richard Vernon and Briony McRoberts are very good as Dr Hugo Fassbender and his daughter Margo.Dick Crockett is superb as The President, who looks a lot like Gerald Ford.Same thing with Byron Kane, whose Secretary of State character looks a lot like Henry Kissinger.Michael Robbins gives a great performance as Ainsley Jarvis.Julie Andrews is heard as "his" singing voice.Omar Sharif gives a brief but memorable performance as Egyptian Assansin.Henry Mancini's brilliant tunes can be heard there, as in all the Pink Panther movies.The movie is packed with hilarious stuff.When you see Sellers falling down the stairs off of the parallel bars, you have no choice but to laugh.Or his numerous attempts to get across the moat.And his disguises are very funny.Like him floating around in his hunchback disguise.Or the dentist, and you laugh with Sellers and Lom after they've had some laughing gas.Well, you don't need any laughing gas.This movie will make you laugh in any case.

Sellers, Lom, Kwouk and Edwards Build the Comedic Legend

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
17 September 2008

The Pink Panther Strike Again is one of those rare absurdist comedies, like Monty Python's Holy Grail, which is so funny that it is very easy to forgive the stupidity, impossibility and inconsistency...

In PPSA, the adversarial relationship between "France's greatest detective" Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau (Sellers) and his former boss, Dreyfus (Lom), becomes the focus of the film. The Pink Panther diamond plays no role in the film, but the cartoon version of the Pink Panther bears a striking resemblance to this film's plot structure. Dreyfus, upon his escape from an insane asylum, plots to kill Clouseau, and eventually enlists the help of the entire world by threatening all of the world's major powers with annihilation unless Clouseau is destroyed. Facing an army of assassins, and with only his ridiculous luck, bad disguises, and murderous ninja of a man-servant(Kwouk) to assist him, our intrepid, insipid, hero, must bumble his way through yet another morass of catastrophes.

Blake Edwards and Frank Waldman are at the peak of their comedic creativity in PPSA. The films departs rather completely from the formulae of A Shot in the Dark, Pink Panther and The Return of the Pink Panther, though it successfully builds on the themes of Clouseau's incompetence and Dreyfus' growing obsessiveness. As usual, slapstick permeates the film, and Edwards misses no opportunity to parody more serious films in the detective thriller genre and to simply make us laugh. PPSA is well-shot, well-edited, well-scripted and... did I mention... hilarious.

The acting is great. Sellers never disappoints, but do not overlook Lom's equally important and excellent performance and Kwouk's very amusing support role.

Recommended - but best seen after viewing the previous efforts in the series.

Probably the funniest Pink Panther movie

Author: kyle-cruse from California
22 August 2008

The Pink Panther movies are, incidentally, the second funniest comedy series I have seen, behind the Marx Brothers films. This, in my opinion, is the best film in the series, as it had the right balance to give the most laughs. "The Pink Panther Strikes Again" features Chief Dreyfuss (Herbert Lom) setting out to destroy the world if Inspector Clouseau isn't killed. What results is one of the most laugh-inducing films I've ever watched. Clouseau is his usual bumbling, clumsy self, and is hilarious in his remarks and actions as always. This film perhaps has the greatest sense of timing of the whole series, such as Clouseau floating out the window as he fills up his clothes with helium at the same moment Dreyfuss tries to blow up his entire apartment. This film's plot gets going right away, unlike the first three films which tend to drag a little until they get to the fun parts. There's not much else to say about the film; it must be seen to understand why it brings about so many laughs. If you are a Pink Panther fan, you'll definitely love it. If you're not, it's the same type of humor found in the rest of the Pink Panther films, so you may or may not enjoy it.

***1/2 out of ****

Inspector Dryfeuss officially is bonkers...

Author: Aaron1375
22 March 2007

Yes this movie has Chief inspector Dryfeuss escaping from an insane asylum with only one thing on his mind...the death and destruction of Inspector Closseu. Of course, what does one expect will come of this? Well a very funny movie that is what. Still I prefer "Revenge of the Pink Panther" and "A Shot in the Dark" a tad more than this one. Though I feel it is on par with "Return of the Pink Panther". Here the diamond does not figure in the plot at all, so forget it, it is all about the death of one very simple man. Part of the problem with it though is I always felt some of the funniest scenes in the series is of Dryfeuss at the desk and Closseu explaining a screw up or something, which is why "Shot" is my favorite. Still you get lots of comedy and quick fight with Cato who is dispatched in this film as he was in the previous film rather early. Still you get to see the great Closseu track down the completely insane Dryfeuss and also see him avoid with great skill numerous assassins out to kill him. Still the funniest scene for me was the dog scene, funny how the most simple joke can be the best. This one also features a rather funny ending scene as well so be prepared to laugh.

If laughter is truly the best medicine......

Author: Sal D'Souza from Ontario, Canada
10 September 2006

....then, The Pink Panther Strikes Back would be the cure to cancer! I loved watching this movie, it's just so hilarious. Follow the crazy adventures of Inspector Clouseau, played wonderfully by the amazing Peter Sellers, as he tries to find Dr. Fassbender and his young daughter who are kidnapped by the still-insane ex- chief inspector Charles Dreyfus. There's even a cameo with the late Omar Sharif. If you're looking for a clean (relatively) comedy that's hilarious, not just half-par jokes, get The Pink Panther Strikes Back, it's guaranteed a movie full of laughs and tears from laughing, and an aching belly from laughing; from beginning to end.

Page 3 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]