IMDb > The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Pink Panther Strikes Again
Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

One of the better "Panther" escapades...

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
8 February 2004

The Pink Panther Strikes Again **** / *****

Dir: Blake Edwards; Starring: Peter Sellers

Funny gazillionth sequel (not literally!) sees Chief Inspector Clouseau (Sellers in his iconic role) being chased down by an escaped madman with nervous ticks. Fun from start to finish, and I actually prefer it to the original "Pink Panther" film. It's zanier, fresher, and seems more like a wild spoof in the vein of "Austin Powers" rather than an outdated, unfunny bore like (I find) the first film.

Highlight: Clouseau trying out the "Hunchback" costume and inflating himself into the air. This was used again in one of the worst films of 2002, "The Master of Disguise," but this is inarguably much better.

**** / *****

But that's a priceless Steinway!...Not any more!

Author: John austin
20 December 2014

For my money, The Pink Panther Strike Again is the funniest of all the Pink Panther movies.

Peter Sellers is back as the clueless Inspector Clouseau. Herbert Lom is hysterical as Chief Inspector Dreyfus who has finally gone mad and kidnaps a scientist in order to construct a death ray.

Clouseau's slow motion kung fu battle with Cato rates as one of the funniest slap stick bits of the 1970s. There are good comedy performances all around, and a cameo from Omar Sharif as the Egyptian assassin. The cross dressing butler, Jarvis, does a great job with "Until You Love Me," (voiced by Julie Andrews, who was married to Blake Edwards at the time).

There hasn't been comedy like this in years. Peter Sellers makes the others look second rate by comparison.

A great time

Author: Terrell Howell (KnightsofNi11) from United States
29 December 2010

Now here is a slice of classic comedy. The Pink Panther Strikes Again is the third film in the Pink Panther saga, and it is arguably one of the strongest in the series. It picks up where the second film left off, with Charles Dreyfus, the villain from the second film, escaping the mental institution he was admitted to. After he escapes he swears his revenge on the new Chief Inspector Jacques Clouseau. He does so by building the ultimate Doomsday machine, capable of destroying whole cities. He threatens to use this machine unless Clouseau is killed. The whole of the film delivers some of the most amusing and riotous gags from the bumbling Clouseau, and unlike the first film, it was a complete delight to watch from start to finish.

The only other Pink Panther film I've seen is the original, and I wasn't impressed. The film was simply just mildly amusing, as opposed to truly funny. The Pink Panther Strikes Again accomplishes what the first film couldn't and is actually very funny. There are a lot of jokes and gags to laugh about in this movie, both visual an verbal. It takes all the antics that were present in the first film and utilizes them much more effectively to make the film a hilarious experience. The jokes never go on too long, but are drawn out just enough to make each silly antic worthwhile and everything from smile inducing amusing, to laugh out loud hilarious. This movie is comedy done right. It's goofy but smart, and there's a lot to be said about that.

After the first two movies Peter Sellers was ready to perfect his role for the third film. And perfect it he did. Jacques Clouseau was a great character in the first film and arguably the best thing about it. But by the third film Sellers had mastered his portrayal of this bumbling inspector fueled by dumb luck that saves his life every time. Everything Clouseau does in this film provides a laugh. The originality of his character is uncanny, and it makes him so much fun and such a riot from start to finish. He has grown a little sillier and slightly more bumbling since the first film, but it still isn't overplayed or annoying in any way. His goofiness doesn't tire in any way. Peter Sellers as Jacques Clouseau is pure comedy gold.

As far as the story goes in The Pink Panther Strikes Again, there isn't much to it. It's fairly straight forward, but its nothing worth complaining about. If you go into a pure comedy like the Pink Panther series expecting a groundbreaking mystery story then you are clueless. The storyline in this movie isn't complex and obviously lacks the kind of depth you will see in a drama, but that's understandable. The best thing I can say about the story is that despite not having the kind of complexity as a heightened drama or thriller it isn't a completely brainless and idiotic comedy. It definitely has a story with plenty of fun characters, and accomplishes a lot more than your typical idiot comedy does. I can really commend a comedy when it does this.

I was very happy with The Pink Panther Strikes Again. Overall, I'll never enjoy a comedy like this as much as a drama, but that is solely out of personal taste. But despite this I can't say that this film in any way a bad film, and I definitely found it worth my time. It is a very funny movie and Peter Sellers is so memorable as the wacky Jacques Clouseau. As far as comedies go, this is a very well made film. A film like this will never make it onto my list of favorite films, but I can definitely enjoy it for what it is.

More death and destruction at the hands of Inspector Clouseau

Author: blanche-2 from United States
6 October 2007

"The Pink Panther Strikes Again" is an apt title for this hilarious 1976 film starring Peter Sellers and Herbert Lom. In this story, Dreyfus, driven mad by Clouseau, escapes from the mental asylum. Determined to destroy Clouseau once and for all, he kidnaps the inventor of a Doomsday device along with his daughter. This machine makes buildings disappear without a trace, and can do the same to people and whole countries. The world has 7 days to kill Clouseau or Dreyfus, who has already used it to destroy the United Nations in a dazzling display of power, will turn it on the world. When the inventor says something about using it on Clouseau, Drefus replies that to Clouseau, this doomsday machine would be as effective as a water pistol. Yes, it's true, the man is a menace with an uncanny way of killing and trashing anything around him and walking out unscathed.

There are too many funny bits to go into, but Clouseau trying on his hunchback disguise and overinflating it so that he floats outside is great; Clouseau attempting to get into the castle is wonderful; there's the drag club scene, the scenes with Olga (Lesley-Anne Down) - well, the movie will keep you laughing. And, if you're like me, it's just what the doctor ordered.

A fabulous farce.

Author: Bynovekka1 from United States
11 May 2001

By rights this should have been just another moderately amusing pink panther film. Instead "The Pink Panther Strikes again" is an uproariously funny film that is not only the best in the series but one of the funniest comedies of all time.

As usual the main charactor is Klutzy French inspector Jacquez Clouseau. In this outing Clouseau has been promoted to chief inspector thanks mostly due to that fact his sheer idioicy has driven his former boss Charles Dreyfus insane.

After spending three years in an asylum, Dreyfus seemingly has overcome his Clouseau complex. However on the day the former chief inspector is to be released his old 'friend' Clouseau pays him a pratfall laden visit. Within minutes Clouseau's bumbling antics undo three years of intense psycho therapy and Dreyfus flies into a murderous rage.

His release revoked, Dreyfus is committed for life but refuses to except his fate. He escapses with one objective in mind, kill Clouseau. But the insideous plotting of a determined madman is nothng compared to blind luck and Clouseau none to gracefully eludes every attempt on his life.

Undaunted, the lunatic Dreyfus embarks on his most sinister scheme to date. A plot designed to force the governments of the world to use their top assassins to destroy Clouseau once and for all.

Peter Sellars is priceless as Clouseau. Herbert Lom is nearly as good as straightman supreme Charles Dreyfus. Still much of the success for the film belong to producer Blake Edwards who oversaw nearly every aspect of this brillant farce.

Hilarious From Beginning To End

Author: tgibbs279 (tgibbs@insightbb.com) from Lexington, Kentucky
24 October 2000

It's the best Pink Panther movie by far, and one of the few movies I've ever seen that successfully parodies the then-current occupant of the White House. An actor named Dick Crockett is great playing Gerald Ford, the president when this movie came out. Movies generally never mention the current president, let alone show an actor playing him, perhaps out of concern that it would "date" the movie. But Blake Edwards did it anyway, with great results. Granted, this isn't the most important element of the movie, but it's a nice touch that deserves to be mentioned.

Another funny farce.

Author: Anthony Einsel from ...
10 October 1999

This Pink Panther film ranks as one of the best there ever was... The plot was simple, Chief Inspector Dreyfuss (who is becoming a psycho since A Shot in The Dark), escapes from the mental institute and plan to kill Inspector Clouseau (which is by far one of the best comedy characters of all time). He then kidnaps a professor of high rank and builds a Doomsday device to kill off the world so that Clouseau is gone. Peter Sellers is at his best still as the bumbling Inspector Clouseau, getting into and out of trouble with hilarious concepts and quotes. Dreyfuss is very funny and shows his psychotic personality when he becomes an even more psychotic person. Best scene is when Clouseau and his manservant Kato, wreck Clouseau's apartment as they usually do. THIS is comedy at it's finest along with A Shot in The Dark.

So much better than the new one

Author: cyoungjohnson from United States
20 June 2006

The Pink Panther Srikes Again is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. The Pink Panther 2006 was one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Rent Strikes Again instead and enjoy humor that is not forced or faked. It's so brilliant mostly because of Peter Sellers, his believable and not forced delivery. I laughed until I cried. Herbert Lom was also perfection in this movie. Who could ever forget that crazy laugh? I miss Kato in the new versions also. When the French policeman came on as a poor Kato substitute in the 2006 film I was embarrassed for him. How painful the bad accents and bad acting must have been to endure. Beyonce was the worst. I give this movie 10 stars not only because it is the funniest thing I have ever seen, but because it is so much better than the Steve Martin version. Strikes Again is a classic. 2006 Panther is a disgrace.

Kato! I'm on the Phone!!!

Author: gazzo-2 from United States
24 October 2000

Oh my lord...I never laughed as hard as I did when I first saw this one....What a scream. A terrifically funny flick indeed. Where do you begin? The plunger arrow on Lom's forehead-'Kill! Kill! Kill!', the fast and furious fight with Kato, complete with floating Hunchback of Notre Dame sequence and air-hose escape scene...oh my God....Love the laughing gas scene with Clouseau and Lom...oh that one is priceless.

Lesley Anne Down as a fur coat and little else garbed Russian Spy is worth a watch too. I liked her then, I do now.

Essentially you can't go wrong with this one; it's the best in the series and makes me laugh very, very hard.

And yeah, 'Ford and Kissinger' are great too..

***1/2 outta **** oh this one is a scream

Striking

Author: sol- from Australia
30 January 2016

Radically different from the previous three 'Pink Panther' movies, this popular fourth entry takes the story to absurdist extremes with a now completely mad Chief Inspector Dreyfus escaping from an insane asylum and holding the whole world hostage with a doomsday device, demanding Clouseau's life. The extra screen time that Herbert Lom gets as a result of this plot deflection is welcome given that he was one of the main highlights of the previous two 'Pink Panther' films. The multiple failed attempts by international assassins to be the successful one to kill Clouseau also leads to several funny sequences, the best of which involves some madness in the restrooms at Oktoberfest, which of course Clouseau is completely oblivious to. While his parodying of a megalomaniacal Bond villain is spot-on, something is definitely lost though by having Lom insane from the get-go as there is no delicious gradual descent into madness as in the two earlier films. The film also unsteadily walks a tightrope between absurdist lunacy and simple inane silliness and a number of gags backfire as a result of the filmmakers pushing things too far (the climax in particular is very over-the- top). And yet, for all its detriments, 'Strikes Again' is a hard film not to warm to since the filmmakers show such obvious passion for doing something different with series and as Lom proves himself to be worthy of every extra percentage of screen time that he is given. It is probably a film that is worth giving a spin even if one disliked the first three films -- that's how different it is.

Page 2 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]