IMDb > The Oily Maniac (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The Oily Maniac More at IMDbPro »You gui zi (original title)

A True Cult Classic..

Author: RobinsonGruesome from Poverty Row
4 July 2008

I watched this bad boy last night and I simply loved it!

If you are looking for usual Shaw Brothers' martial arts extravaganza you better to skip this one. There's only couple fighting scenes and they ain't nothing special. Oil Monster likes more to stomp, pound and strangle peoples to death than bust some kick-ass kung fu moves.

But if you are B-movie fanatic like me and you like flicks with monsters in the bad costumes, you will love this movie too! Story is based on the old Chinese folk tale.. Crippled man learns magic spell from his uncle who is sentenced to be executed The spell turns him into a Oil Monster and it's payback time! Monster starts to kill bad guys like there's no tomorrow..excellent!

'You gui zi a.k.a Oily Maniac' ain't horror, I would categorize it as a cheesy superhero tragedy. Yeah, that's right..

Monster itself is like when Superman meets Mr. Hyde and Swamp Thing. This Chinese Toxic Avenger is really cheap looking in bad costume with shining yellow eyes and heart stuck to the chest. Special effects are hilariously poor, especially when Oil Monster turns pool of oil and starts to move around.

'Oily Maniac' has lots of nudity and lots of sexual violence. Every Female character shows their boobs, except Lily Li. Don't show this film to your feminist girlfriend because there's plenty of rape scenes that she couldn't handle.

This movie could be more entertaining with more gore. There's couple of smashed skulls, but nothing more. This might be filmed at same time with Black Magic (by same director Meng Hua Ho), as many of the locations looks pretty similar. The plot is entertaining and acting isn't bad, actually pretty decent. Danny Lee shines in this as usually.

In overall, if you want to see piece of Chinese b-movie cult cinema you need to check this one out.

I also recommend Meng Hua Ho's King Kong -rip off 'The Mighty Peking Man'.

I give 'You Gui Zi' a.k.a 'The Oily Maniac' 7 1/2 oil-stained corpses out of 10

Sleazy and hilarious HK monster trash.

Author: HumanoidOfFlesh from Chyby, Poland
8 April 2007

Danny Lee plays a crippled guy who has polio.When he visits his uncle in prison,waiting for the execution,he gets a special spell thanks to the tattoo on his back.Since this day,the man can turn into the oily maniac super hero,who slaughters a bunch of criminals."Oily Maniac" is one hell of a hilarious monster flick.The main idea is completely crazy:a man can turn into a pool of oil.The special effects are primitive,but the action is fast and there is a good deal of nudity.The plot is silly,but who cares.If you like to see cheesy monster rampage and lots of breasts this low-budget monster/super hero flick is a must-see.I'd give it 8 out of 10 just for the sheer pleasure of watching this trash.

Nutty superhero sleaze from the mighty Shaw Brothers

Author: t-birkhead from United Kingdom
10 September 2008

I gotta say, I'm a huge fan of these older Hong Kong horror and trash outings. Even at their most silly, I love their energy and the abundance of craziness that goes into seemingly each and every one. Oily Maniac does a good job, telling the tale of a crippled man who gains the ability to turn himself into the awesome Oily Maniac, who looks a bit like the Toxic Avenger, but is made of tar and able to travel around in the form of an animated oil slick. Its an unimpeachably ace premise, and the special effects are more than up to the task. The main costume is hokey but pretty cool and the moving oil effects are great to watch. Sure its obviously animated and you could say it looks silly, but at least its not cgi. In fact even if it were cgi it would look kinda silly and it wouldn't have a fraction of the crazy charm. Director Huo Meng Hua, of Mighty Peking Man fame (another awesome film) gives the film a good pace and the action scenes a good thumping impact. There is a fair amount of unintentional amusement here which helps, and though the film is sadly lacking in gore the Oily Maniac does clobber or throttle his way through plenty of people. There's a good quantity of sleazy female nudity here to make up for the lack of gore, though no full frontal. Danny Lee does a great job as the hero, and the rest of the cast, including Shaw Brother's female star Lily Lee and the also pretty appealing Chen Ping, is pretty good. Altogether this is a lot of fun, though I did crave more substance, or more craziness. The film is wacky, and the villains hissable but I thought the spark of derangement that elevates these films to genius status was slightly missing. More gore would have helped, or more twisted, tasteless shenanigans. A bit more straight up random destruction from the titular maniac would have helped too. Still, these are only minor problems, for basically this is a whole lot of fun. If the crazier side of the Shaw Brothers appeals to you then this is a recommended film.

The Oily Maniac hates greaseballs....go figure.

Author: ElijahCSkuggs from Happy Land, who lives in a Gumdrop House on Lolly Pop Lane
23 June 2009

I was gonna say something about as I was watching this it just felt like I was watching a special flick, a cult classic if you will. Of course, some other user comment says the same thing. Well, TS! The Oily Maniac is a memorable and fun trip down slimy monster revenge road!

Story revolves around revenge and the moral of "justice will prevail". They say that in the movie, that this is the moral. With Uncle Ping(?) being unfairly put to death, our handicapped hero learns the secret from Uncle to get even with the baddies who are causing all this havoc. And with the directional tattoo copied off of Uncle's back, our hero will now be able to turn into, The Oily Maniac! Watch out sleazy bad guys, cause your about to get greasified!

The film is just basically our Oily Maniac taking out each bad guy that he's aware of. Pretty simple, but pretty entertaining as well. The Oily Maniac can turn into an oil slick which he can use for stealth attacks and even travel at faster speeds, though he's no slouch at running or jumping either. He also has the power of regrowth! And of course, yelling when he's about to strike.

With some fun sleaze and action to be had, the Oily Maniac delivers in the areas that it needs to be an entertaining flick. My only real gripe is the lack of any real gore. If the deaths were more gruesome this film could have been a classic, but instead it's just a cult classic. By the by, someone needs to write South Park and tell them to do a spin-off episode with Jimmy as the Oily Maniac.

Chinese swamp thing

Author: blueberry_mustard_101 from Nilbog
4 April 2013

A polio victim discovers an ancient spell that used in a oil pond should heal him from his disablement. The spell instead turns him into a lumbering monster of gooey oil that always is angry because it has no sex.

The bulky rubber suit with the ability to projectile spit oil upon people is pretty funny, and the animation effect when the monster transform into a oil puddle is a real hoot.

Something is missing though. The gore!

The kills is mostly the kind that looks like the monster is brutally pushing people one death. One guy beaten to death with his own bicycle and once I saw something that looked like a head-stomping, but that happened too quick. The monster itself has an arm decapitated that regenerates.

But we do get to see a woman being raped before slicing her throat in dismay! No prisoners taken there!

One of a kind Shaw Brothers monster madness

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
6 September 2016

THE OILY MANIAC isn't a film you hear much about, really. In fact I'd never heard of it and certainly had read nothing about it when I sat down to watch it, so I had no idea what to expect. I was blown away. Yes, this is a cheesy B-movie about a rampaging monster-man who looks a little like Swamp Thing, but it's a fantastic effort for the genre. This film was made by the Shaw Brothers studio so automatically the production values are superior and the technicalities are spot on. The Shaw Brothers always knew how to make even the most rubbishy film look fantastic and they do so here.

Another benefit is that the studio employ professional, well-known actors to lend gravitas to their roles. Danny Lee (later in John Woo's THE KILLER) is a thoroughly sympathetic anti-hero and he puts across his character's emotions very well. To be fair, it's a meaty role for any actor – Lee plays a crippled guy who's absolutely brimming with pent-up rage – but Lee is the perfect choice for the role. There are plenty of familiar actors filling out the cast, including Lily Li as a potential love interest.

There seems to be two parts to this movie. The first part is your typical monster action flick, as Lee transforms into the oily man and wreaks havoc on various bad guys. There are some extended fight scenes, most notably at the climax, where the bad guys chop off various bits of the maniac's body, only to see them grow back again! All done very well with the right balance of drama, horror, and outright comedy. Watching the oily maniac run down the street, smash a bad guy's head in or do something else outrageous is great fun, but I especially enjoyed the way Lee transforms into the creature – by literally bathing in oil! There's a really funny scene where he runs into some road works and jumps into a barrel of the bubbling stuff while the workmen look on, amazed.

Obviously, the special effects aren't up to scratch, but that's part of the charm. The rubber suited monster is a laugh riot and the bits where he turns into puddles of oil are hilariously awful with some second rate animation. The second part of the film is your typical sleaze flick with loads of topless nudity from the female cast and some protracted rape scenes. There's also an interlude at a plastic surgeon's where the female doctor performs operations on a hooker to make her look like a virgin again! It's all very bizarre and unwieldy and that's exactly the reason I liked it – I can't think of another film quite like this off the top of my head. Director Ho Meng Hua made a string of equally obscure and lurid monstrosities like THE MIGHTY PEKING MAN and BLACK MAGIC and his films are worth anybody's time.

So bad it's great!

Author: kriitikko from Kirkkonummi, Finland
25 September 2008

I saw this Meng Hua Ho's film "Oily Maniac" (You gui zi, 1976) few days ago then and I loved it. It is a terrible film but it's so bad that it's good.

The main character is a gribble named Shen Yuan (Danny Lee) who works for a slimy prosecutor. Job is terrible and relationship with the girl he's loved since childhood is not working. Then one day Shen's friend accidentally stabs a man to death and is sentenced to be executed in half an hour (talk about a legal system!). As his last wish the man asks Shen to copy a tattoo from his back that is supposed to be a spell that Shen's father, who was a shaman, put there (why he did so, is never revealed). Later on as Shen curses how bad his life is he remembers the spell. As a part of the spell you must dig a hole in the middle of your house. Good thing Shen doesn't live in a storehouse or any decent looking house either, so the digging is pretty easy. When the spell is completed Shen turns into Oily Maniac, a super powerful monster. After done the spell the first time Shen can turn to Oily Maniac by washing himself with oil. Shen decides to use his powers to kill all the bad people in the world (or in the neighborhood area at least).

The monster in this film, Oily Maniac, is one of the most cheapest and ridiculous looking film monsters ever: dressed in black overalls and with yellow eyes. His movements sometimes are so slow and clumsy that he resembles a turtle on his back (which makes other actors panicked reactions all the more hilarious). Oily Maniac also only has one roar that then is repeated over and over again. He can also turn to a puddle of oil that can move under doors (some of the worst special effects I have ever seen!) and when he moves he is accompanied by a rip-off music from "Jaws".

This film is just about as bad as it can be, but if you watch it with humor then you'll be rewarded with great laughs. The illogical plot alone would make me smile any day, but when the film is also added with bad special effects, self-ironic acting and a decent amount of nudity (I imagine the film is mainly directed for guys) the result was truly enjoyable. Not to mention that not all of the humor in the film was accidental: the court room scene was obviously meant for laughs and works perfectly.

Want to see a film so bad you won't believe it? Want to have great laughs at the expense of cheap movie? Want to see a clumsy monster killing a rapist and then decently covering the unconscious victim's breasts? If so then "Oily Maniac" is your film!!!