IMDb > Echoes of a Summer (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Echoes of a Summer More at IMDbPro »

An excellent movie on the strength of the human heart

Author: van (shrinkv) from OKC, USA
3 June 2000

All of the acting is as good as it gets. Jodie Foster as the main character gives a flawless performance, in this extremely well written story about the life of a precocious child that is dying. Director Don Taylor, creates a visually beautiful, yet simple canvas on which the actors ply their craft. This is a movie with much raw emotion, but as light as is possible on the cliche tear jerker stuff. It offers a range of emotions and insights into the human condition. Makes you proud to be human, even with all of our flaws. Don't miss it, but be prepared to be emotionally wrung out.

Great Movie

Author: douglaswlsh from Canada
22 September 2005

I seen this movie when it first came out in 1976. This is my all time favorite Jodie Foster movie. I think this is one of Jodie's best as a child actress. Not that she didn't do a great job in her other roles; but for whatever reason, this movie has been my favorite. Dealing with the reality of death and dying, which most children around this age(between 7 & 13)it's a big fear factor. And for the family(mother and father, siblings)dealing with with the emotional stress of losing a love one, at such a young age. Has to be the most heart breaking experience. I love the drama of this movie. How it deals with reality. It's a great movie. Richard Haris does a great job portraying the father. It helped me deal with the reality of death and dying.

Lovely, if somewhat monotonous, treatise on the realities of death...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
27 January 2001

When Jodie Foster-admirers discuss her long career, this title usually gets left out. It's a simple, sentimental story of an ill young girl and the effects her strength and will has on the people around her. Richard Harris is a bit heavy as her father (and I could have done without his non-singing over the credits: "Deeer-draaah!"), but Foster makes the most of her scenes, particularly with William Windom as a doctor surprised by her maturity and Brad Savage as a local boy who's curious about sex (they hold hands and lie together on the beach in a stunningly delicate moment). Based on the flop Broadway play "Isle of Children", which starred a post-"Miracle Worker" Patty Duke, the movie gets a little hectic in its final stages as the filmmakers try to wrap up the story with a birthday party sequence I didn't much care for. Still worth-seeing for Foster, luminous at eleven years and holding this picture together. **1/2 from ****

Echoes of a Summer

Author: yesiam_best from United States
12 August 2005

Since it's been a long time since I saw the movie, and since I have searched for several years for it I would have to give it a 10. Since I have remembered only how it made me feel; what a wonderful, warm sense I got at that young age that has lasted, to make me want to; no, really, crave to see this movie again. I couldn't remember the actors. All I could remember was the little girl was dying and the love between her and her father was so beautiful and there was a sand castle. Tonight I decided that I had to find the movie and I did a search and remembered the name Richard. I found it. And my goodness, Richard Harris and Jodie Foster - two of my very, very favorite actors and what a wonderful job they did. I could see them. I don't know why I couldn't recognize them. I would recommend this movie to everyone. I will be getting it (finally) and won't let it out of my sight. Enjoy!

Beautiful but incredibly sad film

Author: gasmaskproductionsbooks (gasmaskproductionsbooks@gmail.com) from Canada
15 September 2014

A little girl (age 11), suffers from heart trouble that her parents know could end her life. Heading towards the beautiful province of Nova Scotia for her final days, they try to make the last of her life as enjoyable as possible.

Not only was the Nova Scotian scenery beautiful, the story itself was too; it's incredibly tragic and melancholy but shows how you can make the most out of things at even the most horrible of times.

Jodie Foster acted in one of my favorite films that year, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (also filmed in Canada but on the horror side rather than drama), and she was just as good in this role, playing Deirdre, as she was playing the murderess Rynn Jacobs. Even similar movies like Never Let Me Go(2010) and Paperhouse (1988) are lacking something compared to this one. With its great acting, memorable soundtrack, beautiful scenery and original plot, Echoes of a Summer is one movie that really stands out.

Engaging and poignant

Author: Matt James from Blighty
27 February 2012

Jodie Foster (Diedre) solidly plants her feet in this role and has flashes of the brilliance that made her the darling she became. Philip's (Brad Savage) dialogue is at times unrealistically savvy or philosophical as he alternates between being 7 and 37 but he has some good comic lines and Savage performed creditably.

The relationship between Eugene (Harris) and Diedre is more poignant in what is, initially, left unsaid. When a child is dying words are cheap, better to make the most of the time left. Despite the sadness of the core theme, there are light moments and it serves the right message: death isn't the important thing, it's what we do before then.

Some gripes. For a singer/songwriter, Richard Harris sang the opening/closing theme sounding like a bag of irate cats being pushed through a revolving door, a tender piano instrumental would have served. The overpaid (Dr.) Hallet's callous offhandedness was flawed and grating. If he was using psychology it was from a Martian textbook. Sarah's implication that Diedre was paying for a godless household seemed trite, insensitive and out-of-character.

That aside, the film was better than expected. Jodie was more feminine in this role than she was in Freaky Friday or Candleshoe and it suited her. I was glad to catch this example of her on the cusp of greatness.

In essence a movie of a loving dad and his dying daughter

Author: richardjetters from United States
14 August 2009

I have never seen this before until today. The acting was tremendous...I don't know if it is because I have a daughter the same age as Jodi Foster's character or because I am so emotional about my child's future.....but this was a great reminder of how to live life to the fullest and to really treasure every moment you have with your kids...no matter how good or how bad.

My daughter was born with health issues and thank God that things worked out for the best. She had an injury at 5 that almost caused her to be paralyzed. I guess I was in a sad state when I saw this but it is truly a good movie. A dad that would do anything to make his girl happy. That dad is me and I love my daughter more than anything.

but why the low ranking? it is an excellent movie...

Author: salva_tee from Romania
5 November 2006

i was very disappointed of the votes for this movie...why the low ranking? because is a classical? it is a very, very good movie, it is an excellent one, i might say. it has beautiful, brilliant lines...the kid (the sick girl in the movie) is simply genius... just watch the movie, i can't describe it's beauty, words simply are not enough. Yes is a typical one, it makes you cry, is sensible, it has a classical drama...but who are we to judge this in 1976?? i know that many hide behind the concept of strength, behind laughter, behind violence, behind...philosophy. is true, in 2006 homo sapient is dead...mow lives homo videns (sartori). Today, we are very visual, we communicate very often through visual arts, in media, in advertising, in entertainment, in everything...we meed special effects? too bad. this movie is too simple for us? think again...i just love it.