IMDb > The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Duchess and the Dirtwater Fox

THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THIS ANYMORE!

Author: p m f from Melbourne Australia
1 June 2004

This movie is a treat from start to finish. Fantastic writing is the main reason why, and terrific character actors at every turn. Not quite as bawdy, but reminiscent of Blazing Saddles in its depiction of the Wild West - I mean, one of the funniest characters is BlackJack, George Segal's loyal steed.

Highly recommended for laughing out loud - a real gem - can't wait for the DVD.

Don't be afraid to show it to the kid's either, just a bit of language to manage, but otherwise, funny for almost all ages. Wish Segal and Hawn had done more work together - a great team!

Enjoy!!

A Romp!

Author: Iroffman from Toronto, Ontario, CANADA
22 March 2005

Although the music may be a little dated now, I believe any fun-minded viewer will find this offering to be a thoroughly enjoyable romp.

George Segal and Goldie Hawn are at their best and deliver one delightful comic situation after another, much like, and in my opinion, better than, Mel Gibson and Jodie Foster in the also enjoyable but more recent "Maverick." I wouldn't be surprised if Mel and Jodie, not to mention the "Maverick" producers, wisely drew on this film for inspiration as the chemistry is interchangeable between the two movies.

One of many moments not to be forgotten is in the excellent turn of Conrad Janis as the blissfully unaware mark or the sidesplitting pig-Latin (pig-German?) argument Hawn and Segal develop in his presence.

I would very much like to see this film again and so will you.

Lip-licking & plum-touching...

Author: moonspinner55 from las vegas, nv
21 January 2001

This western comedy gets off to a smashing start: Goldie Hawn, dressed like a lascivious German barmaid, singing in a San Francisco saloon full of rowdies. It's a Marlene Dietrich bit that out-Dietrich's Madeline Kahn from "Blazing Saddles". Thin plot has a card-sharp in the Old West trying to keep vicious sidewinders from stealing his stolen loot; a dancehall girl gets there first. This is one of those comedies from the 1970s best described as 'bawdy', with some memorable moments: Hawn, pretending to be the Duchess of Swansbury, singing for a drooling Mormon; she and George Segal talking gibberish-French in a stagecoach; the couple floating down a river to the vocals of Bobby Vinton, and later getting tied to stakes in the sweltering desert. Sloppy, yet ingratiating film gets by solely on charisma and energy. It didn't find a sizable audience in theaters, though I would suspect Hawn-buffs will enjoy it on DVD. Raffish Segal also charming, and working effortlessly with his co-star. ***1/2 from ****

confused mess

Author: (winner55) from United States
20 May 2009

A half-decade after "Laugh-In" and a half-decade before "Private Benjamin," Goldie Hawn reveals that she not only has beautiful thighs (which the director takes very opportunity to remind us) but that she can act. Hawn herself takes every opportunity to develop a well-rounded character given a script that doesn't invite it - she exhibits a wide range of responses that the director doesn't really ask of any other actor.

Otherwise, the film is a confused mess. Beautiful location photography, and not much else. The story-line is a real jumble. If I cared about the characters I might have invested more in following it, but there's no reason to care about these lowlives, they have no direction and no motivation beyond greed.

At one point George Segal squeezes Hawn's breasts publicly and exclaims 'honk honk!" First, this is anachronistic (it references automobile horns not yet in use in the movie's culture), second, it is degrading, and third - most importantly - it is not funny. It needs a "topper," some remark that would give it comedic relevance. Director Frank's attempt at a topper is for Segal to repeat the line twice. I am not amused.

A botched job, only interesting for Hawn fans.

classic western comedy

Author: iago_is from NYC
17 August 2003

if you are a sucker for western romantic comedies...then none will please you more than this one. goldie hawn and george segal make a hilarious couple, fighting and sparing all the way to the love that awaits. good movie to watch with someone you love--pleases both the gals and the fellas.

Full of fun and of joie d'vivre.

Author: dragonetteza from Johannesburg, South Africa
2 April 2001

This is a rather naughty little film, with a lot of Goldie Hawn on view at times. It is however done with such a lovely sense of fun and mischief that my kids and I watched it many times with great enjoyment.

Goldie sings some fun songs - including one about fruit, naughty fruit - and goes adventuring across the Old West in the company - at times - of the handsome and talented George Segal. [My favourite GS film, this one!] There are some sidesplitting scenes - for both audience and Goldie's clothes - and there is a very well-trained horse.

Best of all is the running gag! - How many times did you....? - Including this time? Once!

I use it all the time!!!

The Duchess And The Dirtwater Fox (Melvin Frank, 1976) **1/2

Author: MARIO GAUCI (marrod@melita.com) from Naxxar, Malta
25 January 2008

1976 was probably a crucial year in gauging the status of the Western as a feasible Hollywood film genre: apart from well-regarded titles like THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES and THE RETURN OF A MAN CALLED HORSE, you had to contend with some notorious flops, of both the art-house – Robert Altman's BUFFALO BILL AND THE INDIANS OR, SITTING BULL'S HISTORY LESSON and Arthur Penn's THE MISSOURII BREAKS – and the spoof – THE DUCHESS AND THE DIRTWATER FOX and THE GREAT SCOUT AND CATHOUSE THURSDAY (which I've yet to catch up with) – variety. The star rating I gave to the film in question is an indication that it wasn't, in fact, as disastrous as contemporary (and even more recent, in view of its release on DVD) reviews would have you believe and I'd say it's even worthy of earning a place in my collection…which should, of course, imply that it has rewatchability value.

Goldie Hawn, George Segal and his amiably clumsy horse Blackjack are practically the whole show here and this is clearly one of those movies which rely heavily on the charisma (or lack thereof) of its leads for its success or otherwise. The screenplay does have some good lines – including an amusingly protracted stagecoach conversation (supposedly in French) between the two stars which actually incorporates slangy English, French, Italian, Spanish and some Latin, too – but the plot is rather too thin to sustain the film's length. Hawn is a saloon entertainer/hooker with ideas above her station: she gets to wear tarty outfits, sing a bawdy song in an English accent and board the aforementioned stagecoach to become "The Duchess" of the title, an English governess to a host of kids borne by a wealthy Mormon; on the other hand, Segal is a luckless womanizing cardsharp who keeps getting caught cheating and finding himself at the wrong end of the noose; he eventually manages to abscond with $40,000 in stolen loot to the eternal chagrin of a ramshackle band of outlaws. The bag containing the money changes owners more often than these characters take a bath and, along the way, Hawn and Segal finally make love aboard a canoe approaching some deadly rapids, take refuge in a Jewish wedding ceremony and are bound together and left to roast under the baking desert sun. The change in mood towards the end – where Segal is repeatedly shot in the final confrontation with the gang – is far from smoothly handled but the open-ended conclusion nevertheless manages to end the film on a lighter note.

Good Fun!

Author: jim-watson from United Kingdom
30 September 2007

I first saw this film when I was about 10 & thought it was a great film. Saw that it had been recently released on DVD & decided to take a trip down memory lane to see if Goldie was as hot in the movie as I remembered......she was. The film starts off pretty funny & moves along at a good pace. Some good gags, some good dialogue & a bit of slapstick. But what I think lets the film down is the finale. It just peters out & is a bit of a damp squib.

George Segal & Goldie Hawn work well together & I'm surprised they didn't do anything else together. All in all an enjoyable little film...if only for Goldie Hawns dance routines.

Weak!

Author: moviedude1 from Minneapolis, MN, USA
25 January 2009

Goldie Hawn teams up with George Segal in this comedy western about a card shark and a dance hall girl who end up on the trail together, chasing a valise with $40,000 hidden in the bottom of it. The trouble is that the guys that Segal stole it from while they were in the process of stealing it want it back and are hot on their trail.

When this movie first came out, I was only about 12 years old, so, for obvious reasons, my parents never let me see this show when it first came out. But I feel like I can get on the phone, call my mother and thank her for not letting me waste my time in watching this. I'm a fan of Hawn, but not that big of a fan.

There's no chemistry between the stars. In fact, I think Segal had more chemistry with the horse in this film. Maybe BLACKJACK should have gotten top billing over Hawn, because all she ended up being was fluff and a bit of eye candy (very little bit, that is).

3 out of 10 stars.

This was fun!

Author: mackenzie-16 from United States
9 November 2006

I liked this movie. It is a bit dated and it does lose the thread a bit at times, but generally is funny and spontaneous. I really wondered if some of the humor was unplanned. For example, when the Fox turns the corner on his horse and falls off. It really looks like this wasn't in the original script but it happened anyway. I particularly liked the song Don't touch my plums and especially when Goldie sings it to the Mormon family. Goldie Hawn is at her finest and suits the role she is playing. Watch it when you want to smile or need cheering up and don't want to think too deeply! We watched this by accident on TV last night and I managed to stay awake all the way through (ask my husband, that's amazing!)