IMDb > Disco Godfather (1979) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Disco Godfather

Disco Godfather More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Kickin asses, gettin' wimmenz, savin' chilrenz.

Author: Craig Johnson from Atlanta
29 May 1999

Disco Godfather is, quite possibly, the worst film ever made. I think that Rudy Ray Moore could have feasibly wiped his tail with the celluloid and the end result would have been a more worthy feature.

Then again, Disco Godfather is probably one of the most entertaining movies I've ever seen. Aside from the three-hour-long roller-skate-disco-dance sequences and the rants about the evils of PCP, the film (and I say "film") is a karate-fightin', rappin-rhymin', booty-shakin', disco-quakin' good time! When Rudy Ray delivers lines like "But how? AND WHY?" with a knowing glance toward his captivated audience, you know you are putty in the hands of a master craftsman. The film's supa-fly climax, a spontaneous kung-fu fest at a PCP warehouse, is one of cinema's finest moments. Just sit back, let the fists fly, and let the carefree spirit of Rudy Ray Moore's 1970's America take you away.

Do you want to join the disco squad?

Author: iago-6 (scott@cinemademerde.com) from NYC
17 March 2006

Trust me that there is many more hootworthy elements in this film than I could ever hope to write about. There are definitely more stunningly tacky visuals than I could ever capture. This is a movie that demands to be witnessed. I had never seen a Dolemite film, though I had heard of them, and I had no idea that this was a Dolemite film when I saw it in a discount video store about a year ago. Though actually it's a Dolemite film in name only, as Rudy Ray Moore plays another character in this one—a character who swears less.

Probably the highest highlight in this film is the opening sequence, in which Disco Godfather (hereafter DG) is introduced. Everyone is grooving to the generic, repetitive, lyric-free disco music, then DG comes out in his skin-tight pale blue lycra outfit, open to his waist. He grinds obscenely for a few minutes, then makes his way to the DJ booth, where he energetically twists knobs on his console to no audible effect. He shouts rhyming Dolemitisms to the crowd, the most frequent being exhortations to "Put your weight on it!" He repeats this directive 24 times throughout the movie. I counted.

Meanwhile, DG's nephew Bucky, a promising basketball player, is lured away from his girlfriend, who is sporting this hideously bizarre hairdo in which her fro is tied off in a frizzy ponytail hanging off one side, making her head look like a comet or something. Anyway, Bucky is lured into one of the top 5 pimpmobiles of all time, where he consumes angel dust. He then comes back into the disco, where he proceeds to hallucinate. Please note that the several different characters who take angel dust all seem to have the exact same hallucination. Such is the power of angel dust, I guess.

Anyway, DG (his name is Tucker, but I prefer Disco Godfather… don't you?) inquires after what Bucky has had. Only he pronounces it "Heyad." The bizarre, declarative way in which Rudy speaks is one of the bizarre pleasures of this movie, and apparently of all the Dolemite films. Anyway, a helpful doctor tells him that Bucky has had Angel Dust, and that if DG stops by the hospital the next day he'll deliver a great deal of exposition about its effects. DG does, and we are given a tour of an asylum for angel dust users, all of whom have apparently lost their minds. One of them, we are told, roasted her baby and served it to her family.

Meanwhile, some reporter is doing a piece on Disco Godfather, and, after viewing the gyrations of his practicing dancers, is told: "As you can see, if you want to be a member of the disco squad, you have to get funky and get down." DG shows up, and diverts the focus of the article away from his nightclub and to the menace of angel dust. The reporter, not irked at all that she came to do a piece on a nightclub scene and is being sidelined into delivering the rantings of an anti-drug crusader, acts as though the fact that this one nightclub owner is against angel dust is a "scoop," gets one tepid quote them takes off, promising to put the story "on the front page." I can see the headline now: "Some nightclub owner is really, really against angel dust." Later DG exclaims: "Somebody knows I'm out to get them." Uh… could it be because you put an article about it in the paper? We are then treated to a performance of the disco skate dancers, featuring this one guy who I am basically in love with. He is a big mustachioed 70s hunk who chooses to wear a tank top with skin tight shorts which hug his quite fetching ass and showcase his ample basket as he is performing his deft skate dancing moves. I should also mention that this film contains what may be the largest amount of footage of people simply GYRATING that I have ever seen in one movie.

So anyway, then DG attends an anti-angel dust rally whose theme is "Attack the Whack." IT is supported by the all-female "Angels Against Dust," where Carol Speed is giving a speech. I can only assume that Ms. Speed, who was in Abby and The Mack, is only here (and received second billing) for her name, as she only appears in this one scene. She obviously didn't spend much time learning her lines, as she advises the group that she wants to "Whack the attack against angel dust." It's funnily realistic, as it perfectly, if unintentionally, captures the spirit of a public official who knows and cares nothing about a certain civic problem, and is on hand just to garner votes. Later, our friendly doctor says he wants to "Fight a thing that might save the lives of thousands of young people." A second later Ms. Speed is heard chanting "attack the whack" when she is obviously not speaking at all. Apparently they didn't have the budget for reshoots on this scene, as it contains the absolute most errors of any part of the movie.

And please no not miss the innovative use of animation mixed with live action to enhance certain scenes.

This movie has an essential sweetness and earnestness that, in addition to it's off-the-chart cheesiness in absolutely every way, makes it a special addition to any video collection.

--- Check out other reviews on my website of bad and cheesy movies, Cinema de Merde. Find the URL in my email address above.

Put your weight on it. PCP is evil.

Author: Mark Hitz (mhitz@bsumail.idbsu.edu) from Boise, ID
4 April 1999

The anti-PCP message in this film really hit home for me. In a sense, I took Rudy Ray's advice, and put my weight on my addiction. This movie changed my life, and it can do the same for you and yours. It's not as good as "Sense and Sensibility", but it's equally as touching. See this movie. ESPECIALLY if you're all hopped up and wiggin on PCP.

143

Author: willie-40
9 August 1999

Rudy Ray Moore's performance in the Disco Godfather is a thing of beauty. Classic lines include "Why, Why 143?", "You call him in Florida little lady, I got a friend out there.......alone", "Call the ambulance and when they get here, tell the driver what he has hayad". All great, and the continued run ins with telephone man are classics as well. Nothing can keep the laughs from coming when he attempts to knock the phone man out with the wrench, and then exclaims "Damn!". Great movie, a little slow at times(the drug political speech) but definitely good enough to put your weight on it put your weight on it put your weight on it!

A curious little creation

Author: Kevin Wilson from United States
29 February 2004

What can possibly be said about "Godfather" that hasn't already been repeated countless times in previous reviews? The plot is relatively simple: disco entrepreneur Rudy Ray pulls no punches against drug-pushers after his nephew gets "whacked out" on angel dust (PCP) one evening at the Blueberry Hill discotheque.

But to run down the plot of Disco Godfather without commenting on the stylistics would be the same as explaining the delightful flavor of a fudge brownie by listing the ingredients.

Foremost, this movie is the quintessential blacksploitation flick, complete with vigilante crime-fighting, brightly colored polyester outfits, and throbbing, string-instrumented dance music. Anybody who comes to the movie with a love for these often humorous elements of seventies blacksploitation will enjoy Rudy Ray's vigorous performance and whacky one-liners.

And as with most of Rudy's other works, the believability of the plot and the logical coherence of the characters' actions take a backseat to glamour (wasn't that was the seventies were all about, anyway)? Between the incredible hallucination sequences, the traces of a plot occasionally catch the viewer's eye only to vanish once more beneath layers of pointless (but entertaining) kung-fu, dancing, drug use, and gratuitous sex.

Watch this only if you have a stomach for the glitzy superficialness of the seventies or if you're a yuckster looking for a good laugh.

"Who's gonna watch the tits and ass shake, while the Disco Godfather fights crime?"

Author: Levi Ethan Cecil (lecnpc@hotmail.com) from Boise, ID
27 December 1998

Disco Godfather is the best film ever (next to Death Drug and Slithis, of course. It is the story of Tucker Williams (the immortal Rudy Ray Moore), an ex-cop, who now runs the Blueberry Hill Disco joint. He is the one, and only "Disco Godfather"!! His entrance in the film is classic.

Tucker's nephew "Bucky", a talented basketball player, hooks up with the wrong crowd. One night at the disco, Bucky smokes too much angel dust, and gets really "whacked out." The Disco Godfather vows to "Really take it to the suckas that's producin' this sheeyit!" This movie has the anti PCP legacy that Death Drug tried so hard to mimic. Disco Godfather also shows Rudy Ray at his best. Listen as he says "put your weight on it" and "You stupid sonofa beeyitch!!" about 181 million times. He also gives the best delivery of the word "Damn" I have ever witnessed. Another great element of Disco Godfather is the PCP expert. This "doctor" looks like a jazz keyboardist, and he runs his own little PCP ward at the hospital. His dialouge is so choice, if you can make it out. If you can sit through this one, you will not be disappointed! Long live Dolomite!

Crazy.

Author: kungfuel from luling, louisiana
14 August 2002

On recommendation of one of my friends, I picked up this movie. It was at Wal-Mart on DVD for $10, so why not?

The many disco scenes were refreshing to see, and seeing Rudy Ray Moore himself get down to the disco grooves was highly impressive. However, this is not one of his best works!

A large portion of this movie is just Rudy Ray saying how much he hates those who use PCP, and keep it on the streets. He's going to get revenge by [messing] up some mother[messers]!

Personally, I like my Dolemite movies with a ton of cursing and lots of action scene, not a serious message. However, the "trip" scenes, where people are freaking out because of the PCP, are well worth this. Quite possibly some of the freakiest cinematography I've ever seen.

I liked this movie mostly for the first 15 minutes and the last 15 minutes. Everything else is just filler, so you might as well watch the first fifteen minutes, go to any Drug Abuse information site and learn about PCP on your own, then come back and watch the last.

OVERALL, I would give this movie a 8/10, because the good outweighs the bad. Must see if you are a fan of Mr. Rudy Ray Moore.

"He's the Godfather of the Disco!"

Author: Backlash007 from Kentucky
27 January 2002

"Put your weight on it, put your weight on it!" Rudy Ray Moore scores big with another memorable blaxploitation hit. That's right, Rudy's back and he brought with him a great theme song boasting his title as the Disco Godfather. Rudy plays ex-cop Tucker Williams who's become the best DJ in town. But when his nephew Bucky turns to drugs, then Rudy Ray turns into Dolemite.....whoops, I mean the a$$ whooping, drug bashing, head whacking, Godfather of the Disco. They don't get much funnier than The Disco Godfather. Especially the PCP trips that Bucky endures and the drug ward of the hospital where everyone is "whacked" out of their heads. It's not as good as Dolemite, but Rudy's still the man. Can you dig it? So if you're looking for a good time, then Rudy Ray is "your tower of power, the man of the hour, too darn sweet to be sour!"

go call an amb you lance, tell them what he has had!

Author: batzu from vallejo
7 March 2003

this is hands down the funniest rudy ray moore movie! the only draw back is the sound quality, which i had hoped would be improved with the dvd release but is not-i thought my t.v. was broke when i first saw it! this movie has the best(worst) lines, best(worst) fight choreography, and the best(you know) plot. i forgot to say the best acting, but you can only imagine. the story is funny in a way no story about drug addiction could ever be. the scenes at the hospital with the people freaked out on angel dust are great, (SPOILER) especially the girl cooking her baby thinking it's the x-mas ham! priceless. i still pull this one out from time to time and laugh my ass off! i have got to say that the disco g.f.'s fighting is also one of the greatest things ever put on film. buy this one, it's cheap, and watch it a thousand times.

Put your weight on it!

Author: Lucy Furr from Toronto, Cana-duh
9 August 2001

Right from the start, Avenging Disco Godfather is not your average blaxploitation film. In an era where Cleopatra Jones and Dolemite gave us an 'inside look' at life in the ghettos of America the Disco Godfather broke the rut of jive talkin', ass kickin' cinema that had been the norm for so many years. The Disco Godfather is the story of an ex-cop turned hot DJ who turns the tables on the Angel Dust dealers who almost cost the life of his nephew, Bucky. Instead of relying on superhuman marital arts a la the Matirx and a bevy of killer bitches, the Godfather uses his raw emotion and hatred for those who would deal in his neighbourhood. While having a message of strong social and community pride, Godfather does not get too preachy. It still delivers alot of what we go to see Rudy Rae Moore films for, pure tounge-in-cheek laughs...although, many may not have been intended to be funny. From the imortal line "To be a member of the Godfather's disco squad, you have to get down. And funky" to the surreal dream sequences involving cat-women and Harlem zombies, Disco Godfather is far better than the Dolemite series, which relied mostly on Moore's stand up comedy routine.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]