IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 50: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

One of the best movies ever made

Author: InaneSwine from Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England
5 September 2006

There are few books-turned-movies that one can truthfully say that the movie is better than the book. However, this terrifying and disturbing masterpiece from director Brian de Palma is one of those few.

Carrie White (played by Oscar nominated Sissy Spacek) is a bullied outcast who secretly possesses the gift of telekinesis: the ability to move objects using forces of the mind. When she is asked to go to the senior prom, her life seems to take a turn for the better. But when a cruel joke is played on her, she finally snaps, forcing her to exercise her terrible gift.

The first hour or so of the movie is a powerful lead-up to the film's climax, where Palma unveils one of the most terrifying scenes in cinema history. With spectacular performances from Spacek as Carrie and Piper Laurie as her mother Margaret, 'Carrie' is one of the best films ever made.

A complete Horror movie in all the sense of the word.

Author: insomniac_rod from Noctropolis
27 August 2006

Extremely chilling Horror Drama that once you watch it, it will change your life forever. This is a movie that will stick in your mind for a long, long time. I can't think of any other Horror Drama that is moving, scary, and shocking at the same time.

The plot is well known and has been copied through the years, but nowhere as brilliant. "Carrie" is a complete Horror movie in all the sense of the word. It was great, great acting. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie deliver unforgettable performances in the genre. Thank you Mrs. Spacek for your moving, thrilling performance. The rest of the cast is just good. The direction is stylish but very dark. You can't feel secure in any moment. The f/x are excellent and remain among the most shocking of all time.

I just want to recommend this shocking movie to anyone who has not watched it because believe me, this is an essential and defining movie in the genre. Plus, you can't get a scarier and shocking ending!

Awesome De Palma

Author: fer_herreros from Spain
10 June 2006

This film is another proof, of why the Palma is one of the best directors of his generation, is much more than a horror movie is drama, love the first scene is just superb.But most of all is high quality cinema.

I give this movie the best rate for being one of the best movies in 1974's American Cinema.

Get the risk of doing that movie in that time in the USA is so admirable.

If you like movies, you'll like this one.

Another great film from one of my favorite's movie decade.

Great 1970s Horror movie

Author: monkey-man from Australia
8 August 2005

I bought this great movie on DVD 1 year ago and i have not watched it in a long time and i was bored so i watched it and it was so dam great.The acting in this movie is good by most of the cast like actors and actress like Sissy Spacek,Amy Irving,Piper Laurie,Betty Buckley,William Katt and Jhon Travolta.This movie is not scary at all and there are some good scenes in the end of the movie like when Carrie (Spacek) stars to kill all the people in the prom and the scene a bit later in the movie when Carries mum attempts to kill her.Over all this movie is really great and its a must watch movie and my rating is 7 out of 10.

A Masterpiece In Horror...

Author: americanadian25 from United States
4 August 2005

...Yes, it is a masterpiece. Carrie is an excellent movie based on the excellent Stephen King novel. This movie is a classic that appeals to hardcore horror buffs and others too.

The Plot: Carrie White is an outcast to her friends at school. She is the girl everyone picks on, she isn't very pretty, she is awfully shy, and people seem to hate her for no reason. Her mother, a obsessed and at times psychotic devout Christian, abused her daughter in the most terrible ways. Things begin to look up when Carrie is asked out to the prom by one of the most popular guys in the school. Prom will be a night to remember... if they live through it.

The Good: This movie is a classic and definitive film in the horror genre. It set many standards for the horror movies that followed it. This will probably forever be remembered as Brian De Palma's most famous movie, and it is easy to see why. Carrie has some of the most impressive direction and cinematography I've ever seen. You will believe it when you see it. The acting is superb. Although some of the actors may seem a tad to old for teenagers, I think they are good. Sissey Spacek gives a groundbreaking performance as Carrie, the character who made her a star. Piper Laurie was the perfect choice for Margaret White, Carrie's crazy mother. Most of the supporting cast excels too. Also, look for a pre stardom John Travolta, in his first major motion picture performance. The movie starts out with a creepy and dramatic theme, and picks up into a scary bloodfest for the finale. May I add, the final scene is so crazy, it will make you fall out of your seat.

The Bad: Some of the acting in this film is merely average at best. My other complaint about this movie is how it deviated from the book at the end, but it sticks to its source very well until then.

Overall: Carrie is a must see! I Give it a 9/10!

The type of horror you don't find these days

Author: FrankBooth_DeLarge from someplace
24 July 2005

Carrie is a teen horror film that isn't mindless a slasher flick. It is a horror film that does have a great, now famous climax, and it follows how a tormented teenage girl is pushed over the edge. This is the type of horror movie that focuses more on the characters than on the blood and gore.

The story is about Carrie White. A pretty, but shy and abused teenage girl. Her life at school is a living hell, as she is ruthlessly tormented by the stuck up popular girls, and her life at home isn't any better. She lives with her mother, who is a psycho religious nut that thinks everything is a sin and strongly enforces religion upon her. To add up to Carrie's misery, her mother never allows her to have any friends.

One day in the school shower room, Carrie had her first period. She was never taught about menstruation, and she freaked out. The other girls thought this was hilarious and humiliated her over it. The gym teacher punishes the girls involved by taking away their privilege to go to the school prom. While one of the girls, Sue, feels sorry for Carrie, the most popular girl in the grade, Chris, is upset with the fact that she is banned from the school prom. Chris plans a revenge against Carrie. At the same time, Sue asks her boyfriend to take Carrie to the prom in order to make things better for her. Not everything goes well. Carrie has a rare gift known as telekinesis. When she is pushed over the edge at the prom, everything goes awry, and ends up with one of Hollywood's most famous climaxes, and one of the bloodiest scenes in movie history.

Carrie is the type of horror film that you don't find these days. It has blood, but it focuses on the character development.

This is a very smartly written story, mainly due to the fact that there is no real villain. Carrie did what she did out of rage, Chris was just an uptight popular girl, and Carrie's mother was just trying to protect her daughter from what she didn't like about the world.

This is Stephen King's first novel to be published, and remains to be one of his best. The performances in this movie are great, Sissy Spacek is excellent as Carrie, and this movie was John Travolta's acting debut.

This is one of the all time greatest horror movies, and should be seen by any King fan, or horror fan.

So sad and so brilliant

Author: epa101 from United Kingdom
9 July 2005

First thing to say is that, even if you don't like the film, the music is absolutely brilliant. It's hard to describe; classical, but heavier than normal. I've never known anyone who doesn't like the music.

The story of a girl who is bullied at school and at home is heart-breaking and Sue Snell recognising her duty to help Carrie gives the film an uplifting part. What Carrie does for revenge is wrong, but she does not gain anything out of it. It's a very, very sad film overall, where nobody gains and all the tragedy could have been so easily avoided. The mindless brutality of Carrie's classmates have disastrous effects. The insanity of the mother is not as over-the-top as in the novel, which I personally thought was an improvement. Sissy Spacek is really good as Carrie. The scenes when she acts nervous and scared are best; she looks a little unusual and this suits the character.

I've read the book too. The film is a fairly faithful rendition, but there are bits that are different. It's not quite as sad as the book and there are bits of humour here and there. Tommy Ross is less of a character here and the part of Carrie's infancy is missing (because the scene went wrong and they didn't have enough money to film it again).

I love this film, although I'm not sure whether someone who was Popular at school would find it so effective.

This movie will blow your mind!

Author: Brian T. Whitlock (GOWBTW) from WILMINGTON, NC
8 July 2005

One of the best social misfit movies of all times, only this one has a twist. It's "Carrie"! Made in 1976, Sissy Spacek the beautiful redhead from Texas, plays the title character hands down! The girls' locker room scene was just the beginning of teenage boys' "wet dreams". The showers, the dressing, and the late period Carrie gets that gets her all freaked out. I know she looks like your common outcast. However, hanging with people who ostracize her is a mistake anyone would make. She took care of that little bike brat who shouts "Crazy Carrie, crazy Carrie!" She should have popped his bike tires with her mind. Then there's the memorable prom scene. "Dirty pillows" are breasts and the mother was all high and mighty, and full of you know what! The prom was great, expect the pig's blood joke was the ultimate no-no. Everyone in on the joke paid the price big time, by feeling Carrie's rage, telekinetically. And the couple in the car, had their running her over plan went up in smoke as well. If I ever pull a prank on Carrie, she drag me telekinetically to her, either slam me against the wall, or kill me outright. For goodness sake, DON'T CROSS HER! Rating 4 out of 5 stars.

Carrie For Prom Queen!

Author: Freya(sableOnBlond) the-real-roobeemoon from orbiting around Marz
18 September 2004

Extremely interesting , unlike any other... Great , great movie. Love horror - love Stephen King - love the story. A lot of stars here also. One of Stephen's finest...and actually captures some truth on the horrors of outcasts of sorts in high school.A very real feeling ensues from this. The beginning and the end get my attention every time. Keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting for the extremes. I know this movie by heart I've watched it so many times.

PEACE

Unique horror

Author: Kronocide
24 June 2004

I watch horror movies like I watch a fantasy or science fiction flick. What I want is usually the paranormal mystery that needs resolving, and the revelation at the end. I live for the twist. Very few horror movies have actually scared me. I can think of two. Trouble Every Day, with Vincent Gallo and Béatrice Dalle, made me feel genuinely sick in a way that no other movie has and like I thought none could. The other is Carrie, which made my hair stand on end several times. I mean, I was seriously creeped out.

I think that for me it was a combination of DePalma's imagery--Spacek is a truly haunting figure, pure nightmare stuff--and the script. And here's what makes Carrie unique. It is actually a character-driven horror story. It just doesn't not follow the mandatory horror movie formula, but it takes its motivation and narrative momentum from the very realistically depicted inner torment of the protagonist. This had the effect of emotionally grounding the story for me, so that when all hell breaks loose, and the blood-drenched Spacek stares at us with empty eyes, it was the proverbial fist squeezing my guts.

Recommended viewing, especially if you are wary of the boring standard-compliant stuff.