IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 49: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

An creepy, sometimes moving, scary, horror film.

Author: Lucien Lessard from Canada
5 November 2010

Carrie White (Oscar-Winner:Sissy Spacek) is the least popular teenager at her high school. She is tortured by her classmates but she suffers worse at home by her crazy, religious mother (Piper Laurie). Carrie slowly realized that she has powers of telekinesis. But once, she is pushed too far by the sadistic classmates and her mother. This once-shy teen decides to use her powers for revenge.

Directed by Brain DePalma (Blow Out, Dressed to Kill, The Untouchables) made an scary, often creepy horror movie with terrific performances by Oscar-Nominated performances by Spacek and Laurie. But this movie does have an sharp supporting cast like Amy Irving, William Katt, Nancy Allen, John Travolta, Betty Buckley and P.J. Soles. DePalma's film is also part satire as the look and feel of a teenage life. "Carrie" did went on to be a horror classic picture. Although dated, the feature still does play very well. Although by some viewers (and critics) felt this movie is overrated.

DVD has an grainy anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1) transfer and an fine digitally remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound (Also includes the original Mono soundtrack). DVD includes two documentaries, an featurette, animated photo galley, "Stephen King and the Evolution of Carrie" biography and the original theatrical trailer. "Carrie" is flawed in some places of the feature, some of DePalma's style is off-putting at times but the performances are flawless and the movie does features an memorable scary final sequence. The third act of the picture is pure "DePalma" style. Based on a novel by Stephen King (The Green Mile, The Mist, Thinner). Screenplay by Lawrence D. Cohen (Ghost Story, Stephen King's It, Stephen King's The Tommyknockers). Remade for TV in 2002. (****/*****).

Evil Creates Evil

Author: Petter Hansson from Lund, Sweden
3 November 2010

Wow. Just wow. I saw this yesterday and I can't stop thinking about this movie. It's probably the second best horror film I've seen second to Aliens, although I'd say the label "horror" isn't quite appropriate. I think it's certainly scary to some extent though.

I won't repeat the plot since plenty of reviews do already.

This is a beautiful movie. The music just works (in my own opinion, I've heard differing views on the matter). The visual direction is excellent.

The beauty of the movie is just an auxiliary however; what really matters is the effective story, acting and characters. One really notices that there's a strong source in Stephen King's novel.

We are through some elements of foreshadowing mercilessly led down a path to hell, quite literally. On the other hand, the individual events can be very unpredictable (the menstrual blood as the first example). It's the perfect combination to make a movie interesting, in my opinion.

Carrie herself is incredibly realistic, and is more genuine than most, both as a result of very good acting and a solid script. Her character is complex - we feel sorry for her a good part of the movie, but at one moment while walking home after the prom stained with blood, she seems more like a demon returning to its lair after harvesting souls. We are forced into re-evaluating our opinions on her after the overly brutal slaughter.

Carrie's mother, in sharp contrast, is an over-acted archetype of a religious zealot. This contrast and the relationship with Carrie is of huge importance. She is what we love to hate, and for a good part of the movie she seems unconditionally evil and wrong. But nothing is as easy as it appears to be...

Further supporting characters are also archetypes, but it achieves the purpose of reinforcing Carrie's character. We find more characters in the "love to hate"-category here in the girls that bully Carrie and cause the sequence of events leading up to the prom slaughter. However, do they really deserve death for what they did? No, and that places us in a moral dilemma where we were rooting for Carrie, but where she severely overreacts beyond any reasonable level.

In fact, I'm going as far as saying that in one way, it truly is the devil coming back from the prom and that Carrie's mother in a twisted sense is more right than we want to admit, and it terrifies us. I also interpret the events that follow as further tokens supporting my theory: Ultimately, the house falls apart as punishment of unrepentable deeds.

I'm not the kind of person who usually tries to find hidden meanings in movies. This movie however... Let's just say it is not only a revenge fantasy as some have claimed. It is a tale of how evil creates evil. It is a display of how not being able to back down and not pushing it further leads to out of control disaster.

A must see for horror fans.

Author: lewiskendell from United States
29 September 2010

"I wanna be normal, I wanna start to try me, a whole person, before it's too late for me to."

What happens when an odd, repressed, emotionally abused teenage girl with telekinetic abilities is pushed past her breaking point by an overwhelmingly humiliating prank pulled by her bullying classmates? A prom night that no one will ever forget. If they happen to survive it, that is.

Carrie is an absolute horror classic. It runs the gamut from unsettling, to creepy, to horrifying, and every second of it is enjoyable. If it doesn't freak you out before the end, you're made of sterner stuff than I am. I don't think I'll ever forget the insane zealotry of Carrie's mother or the mesmerizing carnage of the end of the movie, among other scenes, and the best proof of a good horror movie is one that is memorable.

This is by far the best Stephen King adaptation that I've seen, and the fact that it was based on his first published book makes it even more impressive. The pacing is perfect, with a perfect build up to the spectacular finale that will have you torn between feeling satisfaction of seeing some horrible people getting their comeuppance, and a genuine horror at the character of Carrie. If you're at all interested in a scary movie that's effective beyond constant jump scares or gore, then you should love this. I sure did. It's quality hasn't diminished in the least by the years that have gone by since it was made. Great camera-work, great score, great movie.

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
26 May 2010

I have the book but i have yet to read it, so i can't compare the movie to the book.

I have seen both this and remake of Carrie that was made 2002, i did enjoy watching 2002 min-series but no were near as good this movie.

Carrie is girl that seem get bully ed by others after losing a game in gym and they start bully her even more when she goes in to period in the shower but Carrie has no idea what happening to her.

When Carrie get a bit angry she seem to move things with the her mind and seem to get stronger and more she get angry her powerful she can get.

Sue was one of girl who teasing Carrie and she feel a bit guilty convinces Tommy will set to take Carrie to the prom.

Later at the prom Chris and Billy make plan to get Tommey and Carrie and King of Queen, so they put their evil plan in action and see everyone start to laugh and the all hell break lose.

This movie is fantastic, i don't know anyone who as not seen this movie, the acting in this movie outstanding from the whole cast.

i going this movie 10 out 10

Brian De Palma's finest hour.

Author: Bones Eijnar ( from Trondheim, Norway
24 July 2009

Sissy Spacek's star-turning performance in 'Carrie' is one of the finest portrayals by an actress ever in a horror film. The film, adapted from a novel by Stephen King, revolves mainly around adolescence and religion, adolescence in the sense of a outsider girl on a high school with telepathic abilities who "just wants to be normal", and religion in the sense of her Christian über-fundamentalist mother who's been teaching her inside-out about life and all its possibilities. The film does not (like surprisingly many Stephen King adaptations) go for the full-on shock effect of murder, blood and nerve-wrecking excitement, still, with all these ingredients very much intact, director Brian De Palma (who's on a victory-run of invention) presents the film with a high-school backdrop full of bubbly life, and the themes of lost family and love, and the alienation of teenager-life, is always at the main focus. 'Carrie''s disturbing undertones and shocking scenes are still full of terrifying life, and as any great horror, it brings that tingling feeling of nastiness, wrong and suspense.

The One That Started It All...

Author: Christopher T. Chase ( from Arlington, VA.
28 April 2008

It has been copied, remade, parodied and lampooned, and forever become a part of the lexicon of popular culture. But whether you love it, hate it or are indifferent about it, no one can deny the impact that CARRIE has made on everyone who grew up in the Seventies...or that it continues to resonate with new audiences even today.

Based on the very first runaway bestseller by Stephen King, this was a tale that acknowledged the peril-laden sharks-and-piranha-filled environment that was high school. Teasing, bullying, ostracism and how shockingly (at least back in the day) the girls were more adept at practicing casual cruelty than boys would ever be.

Into this circle of Hell as yet undocumented by Dante, comes poor Carrie White. No friends, a bleak future at best, and her only family being her Christian funda-MENTAL-ist wack-job of a mother, the last thing she needs is to become the favorite scapegoat of two of the meanest of the "Mean Girls" at Bates High School...Blond, frosty bitch-goddess Chris Hargensen and her irritating sidekick, Norma Watson. But that Carrie does, and the taunts, teasing and relentless bullying reaches its breaking point, when a terrified and clueless Carrie experiences her period for the very first time in the girls' locker room, and the resulting chaos resembles an all-female version of LORD OF THE FLIES (if you add flying tampons).

But that very day, Carrie discovers something else she possesses....Latent telekinetic powers that have been unearthed along with her traumatic introduction into womanhood. Nobody knows - not the teachers, her tormentors or even her mother - and as Carrie begins to discover that maybe she does have a chance to assert herself and find some kind of happiness after all, the stage is set for a teenage tragedy of epic proportions.

A lot of things were at stake with this film. It was Brian de Palma's last chance to prove himself as both an auteur worthy of carrying the torch for his hero, Alfred Hitchcock, and as a director capable of producing a box-office smash. It was THE long-shot at the big time for a cast of virtual unknowns: Sissy Spacek as the tortured title character; Piper Laurie, leaving semi-retirement to play religious fanatic Margaret White, Carrie's mother; Nancy Allen (a future Mrs. de Palma) and P.J. Soles as Chris and Norma respectively; Broadway and film star Betty Buckley playing the sympathetic gym teacher Miss Collins; Amy Irving (one of the future Mrs. Steven Spielbergs) as Sue Snell, the only girl on Carrie's side; William Katt (THE GREATEST American HERO) as Tommy Ross, Sue's BMOC boyfriend and the key to Carrie's downfall; and in a cameo that would send his career skyrocketing, John Travolta as Chris Hargensen's lunk-headed boyfriend, Billy Nolen.

Some films are so bad that for those who participate in them in front of and behind the camera, no one's career is left unscathed. Happily, in the case of CARRIE, the exact opposite was true. Where de Palma's penchant for raiding Hitchcock's bag of tricks usually got him into serious trouble, he was firing on all cylinders with CARRIE, because it all worked perfectly. Everything - from the dynamic performances (both Spacek and Laurie were Oscar nominees), to Mario Tosi's photography and Pino Donaggio's unforgettable score - meshed together to go above and beyond King's effectively horrifying prose, and what resulted was a tale told about the hopefulness - and horror - of humanity, that has served as a genre touchstone for nearly four decades.

All this time has passed, and even having seen it about two dozen times or more, the movie never fails to affect me. I almost envy those who have never seen it, because there is nothing like the first time. The experience will never leave you....EVER...

Plug it up! Plug it up!

Author: anthony_fanatic from Australia
2 March 2008

Carrie, one of the best films i've seen from that era. It has the perfect main character, quite, shy and which no one knows the rage that lurks inside of her until she has the power to use it against the people that made her life hell. I think that Stephen King would of been proud of his story that was reborn on to the screen. My favorite scene which is probably many peoples favorite is when Carrie snaps with blood all over her stunning white gown which was a fantastic contrast and screaming and terror falls onto peoples faces. Although the funniest bit i found was just after this when Chris and Billy are sent into a car crash by Carrie and the is a random wheel thats on fire fly's past and of course the famous line Plug it up! Plug it up!

Best Adaptation of Any Stephen King

Author: swinktorxer from United States
26 February 2008

Carrie was a truly gripping movie to start this review off. It was amazing in nearly every aspect. I heard it was really good, and I enjoyed the book, but like most Stephen King adaptations, the movie sort of ruins the book for me. Since I really enjoyed Carrie as a book, I was reluctant to ever watch the movie until my aunt told me it was really good. She doesn't read the books, but she's good at telling what I'd like. So when I found it one day at a movie store for only eight bucks on DVD, I decided to get it. I got home and immediately loved it. It was amazing. From the shower scene to the ruined house scene, the movie was truly creepy and sometimes just all out scary. The acting was amazing, especially Piper Laurie as the crazed Christian lunatic mother. And what I think made me really go for this movie was that it stayed true to the book except for two parts, which were just as awesome if not better than the book. Carrie is a great movie for any horror or drama fan.

Oh....Thats freakish...

Author: Amsomnia Studios ( from Denmark
22 January 2008

It is rarely i give a horror movie more then 6 or 8 because normally they are all just well basically the same, i am never really scared or even shocked but boy this movie changed that. Carrie is a movie based upon the great writer Stephen King and well you know he is really good at this, he knows what ticks in our minds but not every movie gets you going as much as this does. Also not many can relate to the young generation like this.

Story 10/10 The story begins with a portray of a young woman bathing and then suddenly beginning to bleed not understand why. This is Carrie she seeks out help from the girls right next to her, she is frightened by the blood not knowing that it is completely normally, but instead of getting help from the girls she is picked on in a harsh way. This some can relate to if they were picked on in school by bullies on others and not being the cool one but instead the outsider. But something is different with Carrie, yes she got the power of telekinesis and uses them when she gets angry or sad. then the story tells a lot of what happened until the big bang at the prom night when she finally uses her powers for all to see.

Actors 10/10 I love Sissy Spacek now and why? well she shows something not many actors can real emotions i don't know how she did it but you feel with her every moment meaning you will actually almost vision being right next to her or sitting watching her at the prom. When she cries you do, when she is scared you feel a chill down your neck and when she uses her powers you actually in some way will want to cheer for her and thats sick. I don't believe any of the others characters does just what she does so i wont say more about that.

Music N/A Well in some way your used to these kind of samples and such if you have seen a movie from that decade or even some new ones so that does not really matter that much.

Overall 10/10 Well i was freaked out especially at the last scene where Sue Snell is pictured as some king of a white angel perhaps, when she puts the flowers down on the ground and the hand of Carrie comes up from the ground i got the biggest shock in my life i was actually shaking and only Stephen King can do just that so overall this is a classic and a horror movie that should only be praised to the end.

Author: lady_gaby from Bulgaria
17 May 2007

Carrie is the best movie i have ever seen.It's humane film with a lot of feelings.I agree it's sometimes a thriller,but in my opinion it's a drama movie.It's really sad when they are nasty with Carrie,she didn't deserved that.Sissy is very sweet=)I learn how nasty are the people from this film,it's my favorite forever and ever. And it's much more better that the 2002 remake.Why does this so good movie need a remake? (sorry for the bad English,i'm not from here) I can watch this movie a hundred times,it's just my hobby to watch Carrie =) And Sissy Spacek become to my favorite actresses,of course. It's worth to watch it,because you can realise that Carrie isn't that bad...of course she is not.

It's sad,it's a drama,but some people say it's a horror.No,it's not scarry,if you want to find a scarry movie take Psycho or something else,but not Carrie.The film is more than "just a horror".

The book is very interesting,too.In fact it's more interesting that all films about Carrie,because it's longer's different than the movie. So if you want to see a sad and humane movie,watch Carrie...