IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 46: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

The Best Adaptation Of A Stephen King Novel I've Seen,

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
15 January 2012

I Haven't Read A SK Novel However Until I Saw This I Wasn't Prepared To Either. The Basic Plot Is That A Bullied Girl With Telekenetic Powers Looses It At The Prom When Bullies Play A Prank On Her.

The Best Performance Is Definitely (And Anyone Who Has Seen This Film Will Agree) Is Sissy Spacek, At First She Played This Bullied Girl Which You Want To Stick Up For, Then When She Looses It She Becomes One Of The Most Convincing Insane Performances I've Ever Seen; For Those Who Haven't Seen This Let Me Tell You I Don't Say This Unless Its REALLY Convincing, Perkins In Psycho, Sarkola In Harjunpaa & Pahan Pappi & Hopkins In Silence Of The Lambs Are My Favourites With This As An Exception. She Should Have Won The Oscar, I Don't Think The Same Of Piper Laurie At All.

I Suggest A Viewing Because I Am Not The Biggest Fan Of Any Other King Adapted Film (Yes This Does Include The Shining; I Only Gave It 6(All Adaptations Of His That I've Seen I Have Reviewed)). Any Fan Of Horror Will Not Be Disappointed.

Carrie: an emotional explosion of deeply wounded heart!

Author: Waleed Khalid (w_qidan@hotmail.com) from United Arab Emirates
6 January 2012

Carrie was the victim of humans selfishness. It happens a lot of times, in many places, when a weak, broken school-boy or girl get abused, bullied and humiliated.

Carrie is more than just a movie. What Carrie did shows us how big the rage that could come out from a little weak person. And that big storm Carrie riven was the the results of bad influences of her classmates. This tells you that you should never underestimate someone who looks weak, and that the rage is always far more stronger.

Carrie is the first horror film that has a deeper meaning. And that's what made it different from other horror movies

A horror classic for the ages!

Author: HorrorCreepshow from United States
31 December 2011

What can be said about Brian DePalma and Stephen King's masterpiece that hasn't already been said before. It became a smash phenomenon upon first release and has, not surprisingly, grown in popularity after years of VHS, cable TV, DVD, and Blu-Ray. But has it held up? YES!

Carrie tells the all too real story of a bullied girl who gets no support from her religious freak of a mother who'd rather lock her in a closet and tell her how much she's sinned from getting her first period than trying to notify teachers of her plight. Luckily for Carrie, and not so luckily for her classmates and mother, she possesses a great power - one she can't control.

Carrie is essentially a dark modern fairy tale. It's Cinderella territory all the way, but with a darker ending. Carrie doesn't get through her moment of glory unscathed. Instead of a glass slipper, she leaves a trail of blood back home with her.

What could have been a simple fun exploitation film (see: Jennifer) is made all the richer by Stephen King and Lawrence D. Cohen's vivid characterizations and tight plotting. The actors are all universally stellar. Sissy Spacek takes Carrie from pitiful, heartbreaking, and ultimately, scary as hell! As her psychotic mother, Piper Laurie is more than up to Spacek's powerhouse performance. She's truly one of the most terrifying characters ever committed to celluloid, mainly because we all know someone just as unstable as her. Nancy Allen and John Travolta (in his first big leading role) are equal parts hilarious and pure evil...and boy, do they make evil look good. Amy Irving and William Katt both radiate kindness and warmth, as does Betty Buckley as Ms. Collins, the kindly gym teacher who seems to be the only responsible adult in the film.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Brian De Palma's exquisite direction. He was labeled as a Hitchcock imitator back in the day, but it's really nothing more than homage. His camera effortlessly glides through the sets and characters in the film. The crowning of the prom king and queen has never been so nail bitingly intense.

Carrie is a simply perfect horror film AND a perfect film. It just is! It's filled with heartbreaking drama, pulse pounding suspense, plenty of humor, and a few jump out of your seat shocks! How can you ask for more?

Haunting!

Author: nama chakravorty from India
24 December 2011

Brian De Palma's 'Carrie' is a Haunting & Unsettling supernatural horror flick, that will you scared, indeed. Right from the direction, the screenplay & the terrific performances, in particular, make 'Carrie' an unmissable, spell-binding horror flick!

'Carrie' Synopsis: A mousy and abused girl with telekinetic powers gets pushed too far on one special night.

'Carrie' is unsettling, haunting & depressing. It's certainly not meant for the faint-hearted. But, as far as horror buffs are concerned, 'Carrie' is among the best films to watch. The entire journey of Carrie White, is eerie & very unsettling. Her relationship with her Mother, is the high-point of the enterprise. It not only is scary, but also a very sharp take on human-madness. It's superbly handled!

Brian De Palma delivers one of his finest films in 'Carrie'. He very successfully executes the journey of this girl, with the atmosphere & fear, it needed. His direction is absolutely legendary in here. Lawrence D. Cohen's Screenplay is masterfully engaging. Cinematography is perfect. Editing & Background Score, are top-class.

Performance-Wise: Sissy Spacek as Carrie, is terrific. She embodies the person she plays, and it's one of her finest performances, hands down. As her mother, Piper Laurie is electrifying & terrorizing. Amy Irving is excellent. William Katt does well. Betty Buckley is quite good. John Travolta is first-rate. Nancy Allen, P. J. Soles & Priscilla Pointer are decent.

On the whole, 'Carrie' is a horror knockout! A Must See!

A Faithful but Dated Adaptation.

Author: Brian Hadsell from Illinois
17 October 2011

Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) is a hopelessly awkward teenage girl: loathed as a pariah by her classmates and abused by her profoundly Christian mother (Laurie Piper). The only person who shows her the slightest human kindness is her gym teacher (Betty Buckley), who rescues her from the torments of her classmates when she gets her first (incredibly belated) period while showering after gym. Along with her late-coming adolescence, Carrie develops telekinesis, which she hones despite her mother's accusations of witchcraft. Sue Snell (Amy Irving), one of Carrie's tormentors, tries to make up for her actions by convincing her boyfriend (William Katt), who Carrie has a crush on, to take her to the prom. Chris Hargenson (Nancy Allen), however, despises her punishment for what she did to Carrie and wants to make her pay.

"Carrie" (1976) demonstrates an intense level of fidelity with the novel upon which it is based. Brian DePalma demonstrates his technical proficiencies as a director in his realistic (if extreme) treatment of adolescence. The problem arises, however, with entrenched in the decade of its origin the film is. It is hopelessly, infuriatingly, obviously seventies. The decisions to use of kaleidoscope lenses, to rotate the camera opposite the rotation of Tommy Ross' and Carrie White's dancing and the a-typical use of sound after Chris dumps pigs' blood on Carrie - while it certainly conveys its cinematic message with all due clarity - are hopelessly dated techniques that permanently entrench the film in its specific time and place (instead of existing within a sense of timelessness).

Fans of Stephen King's novels will find this to be delightfully faithful to his novel (a statement which cannot be said about even some of his best adaptations). Fans of horror films - as well as distinctly seventies films - will likewise find this to be a welcome and fairly-executed inclusion into their folds.

Carrie, The Original Teenage Witch

Author: geminiredblue from United States
19 April 2011

Adolescence, that most tormenting of times for young and old alike! It's a time of great and uncomfortable change. We begin to learn more about our bodies and minds than we probably ever wanted to know. It's a time plagued with zits, mood swings, and awkwardness. Both the Stephen King book and movie capture adolescence in all its mystery. The movie opens with what appears to be every high school guy's fantasy, then quickly turns to shock (and perhaps even empathy) as we're introduced to Carrie. Carrie is the most unpopular girl in high school, picked on by the jocks and cheerleaders, made fun of by everyone. With that constant bombardment at school, you'd think Carrie would find solace at home... Not a chance with her totally-bonkers mother who spouts religious drivel and forces Carrie to repent for something that is completely normal (however embarrassing it may be.) Along the way, Carrie discovers that she can move and levitate things. Even though we're shown little moments of her telekinetic abilities, the filmmakers wisely downplay it to show us the brutal horrors of high school and adolescence. Here is a movie that boldly shows us real teenagers in mostly real-life situations. However, that's not to say that special effects take a back seat. In fact, following the famous "pigs blood" scene, we're treated to one of the greatest displays of destruction ever witnessed. The only part that was a little weak is the very ending, but only because it's been copied innumerable times since then. Sissi Spacek is dead-on in the role of Carrie. In the book, she's described as overweight, which Spacek isn't, but I believe that Spacek's thinness helps accentuate the deep vulnerability that's central to the character. Piper Laurie is equally wonderful as her zealous mother. In my opinion, next to THE SHINING and SECRET WINDOW, this is the best King movie!

Monsters

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
14 April 2011

Stephen King is noted as an author of horror stories - stories involving monsters, if you will. Carrie tells the story of a teenage girl with telekinetic powers which kick in with the onset of puberty, who kills her entire high school year at the Prom - at first glance, an obvious monster. Yet the beauty of this story (and it is an ugly beauty, if such a thing is possible) is that Carrie is not the monster -she is a victim. The monsters are her mother and a large part of her class at high school.

The only major discrepancy between King's novel and DePalma's adaptation is that Sissy Spacek is a good deal cuter than King's Carrie White. But she is just as vulnerable, damaged, frightened and victimised and, ultimately, the difference in appearance does not matter in the slightest for dramatic purposes.

This film is excellent all round. The performances are all very good, and the direction is stunningly effective - it suits the material perfectly.

And the movie is also notable for the names it put on the map - DePalma, King, Spacek, Allen, Travolta. King hasn't always been fortunate with film adaptations, but he had nothing to complain about here.

Death by Telekinesis

Author: ShadeGrenade from Ambrosia
28 February 2011

I was too young to see 'Carrie' in 1976, so had to make do with the New English Library paperback of Stephen King's novel ( his first major bestseller ). The cover had a picture of a startled young woman with a bloody face. I saw the film some years later and found it to be remarkably faithful to its source. Sissy Spacek is 'Carrie White', a shy, sexually repressed student who is the butt of her classmates' childish jokes, in particular 'Chris Hargenson' ( Nancy Allen ), a bitch of the first magnitude. Following a volleyball game, Carrie is in the shower room when her menstrual cycle begins. As her religious fanatic mother ( Piper Laurie ) never bothered to inform her daughter about such things, she panics, only to be laughed at by her class. Along with the arrival of womanhood Carrie begins to develop telekinesis - the ability to move objects just by thinking.

Sue Snell ( Amy Irving ) persuades her boyfriend Tommy ( William Katt ) to ask Carrie to be his Prom Night date. Against her mother's advice, she accepts. Carrie and Tommy win a rigged vote to become 'King' and 'Queen', but her moment of glory is to be cruelly shattered. Chris and boyfriend Billy ( John Travolta ) have placed a bucket of pig's blood in the rafters. As soon as Carrie is standing under it, they cause the bucket to fall. At first, the assemblage is shocked, but then laughter rings out. Angered, she unleashes the full force of her power against those mocking her...

This was Brian De Palma's first major hit following the cult smashes 'Sisters' ( 1973 ) and 'Phantom Of The Paradise' ( 1974 ). He was touted as 'the heir to Hitchcock' and from this you can see why. Listen out for the 'Psycho'-like stings whenever Carrie uses her powers. He employs slow motion and split-screen to good effect. Of course it helps that the book and script ( by Lawrence D.Cohen ) are first-rate too. Dominating the movie though is a superb central performance from freckle-faced Spacek. You want to weep for her. When I read the book, I imagined her mother to be some toothless crone, but the movie 'Margaret' is surprisingly attractive, strangely emphasising her insanity. This was Laurie's first film in 15 years, and she was rightly nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress. Margaret's madness began when she was raped by her husband years before ( "I could smell the whisky on his breath!" ). The scene in which she stalks Carrie, knife in hand and a demented smile on her face, has got to be one of the most chilling cinematic moments ever.

The rest of the cast also impresses, particularly Nancy Allen and Amy Irving. De Palma retained the latter for his next picture, the underrated 'The Fury' ( 1977 ). It is interesting now to see Travolta in his pre-'Saturday Night Fever' and 'Grease' days.

'Carrie' might not have as much gore as say 'The Exorcist' but it definitely ranks as one of the '70's best horror pictures, certainly the best ever King adaptation.

There was a stage musical ( believe it or not! ) and a T.V. sequel ( 'Carrie 2: The Rage' ) but they are best forgotten. Watch the original and be prepared to fly out of your chair during the final scene. 'Carrie' boasts one of the first examples of the 'trick ending' ( later copied by, amongst others, 1985's 'Nightmare On Elm Street' ).

A Horror Classic

Author: Serkan Okar (the_divine_spirit@yahoo.com) from Wilmington, Delaware
13 February 2011

Carrie is a bona fide horror classic. In my opinion, it is one of the best Stephen King's adaptations ever made (if you are a Stephen King fan like myself, you know how hard it is to adapt his books to big screen). Brian De Palma did a terrific job of bringing Carrie to life.

This is a story about a very vulnerable girl with a super power: she can move objects with her mind, known as telekinesis. Her mother kept her sheltered. Piper Laurie portrayed Carrie's mother really well, a religious fanatic who has lost touch with reality. As a result, Carrie is disconnected from society and not living a very normal life. She is constantly bullied at school by other girls.

The score is one of the most important elements of a movie but this is especially true in case of horror movies. Carrie's score is just amazing. You can get chills just by listening to the soundtrack. I especially love the way how the score sets the atmosphere of the scene. I have seen many horror movies but Carrie is special in the way how the score sets the tone so perfectly well. SLIGHT Spoiler ALERT******One of my favorite scenes is right before Carrie is crowned home coming queen; there is a dreamy music playing intervened by ominous music and it switches back and forth creating drama and suspense at the same time.

I think Carrie deserves a minimum rating of 8. They don't make horror movies like Carrie anymore.

A poignant "horror" movie.

Author: Theothervip from Philippines
30 January 2011

Rating: **** out of 4.

Brian De Palma's career took of with the success of this adaptation of Stephen King's first novel (who also boosted King's own success) about a teenage girl with telekinetic powers, using it to enslave her high school bullies during the most unforgettably horrifying prom night in history. CARRIE was a box-office hit and became an famous entry in the horror genre. But surprisingly when I saw CARRIE for the first time, I enjoyed it for more than being JUST a horror movie. Have you ever seen a horror movie that is touching and heartwarming? Or a horror movie where the supposed monster or horror is depicted as a sympathetic outcast? Or a horror movie that, before descending into a bloodbath, is staged as a romance? CARRIE has it all. It's a horror movie as well as a send-up of one. De Palma knows that the movie isn't really much about Carrie's telekinetic abilities, but about Carrie herself.

An icon of every high school outcast ever since, Carrie (played perfectly by Sissy Spacek) is depicted less as the violent monster she would eventually be and is depicted like anyone else who is bullied by popular kids in school and tormented by an oppressive parent. In that way, De Palma and Spacek is able to make us sympathize for Carrie as a nice girl who is pushed too far, making her now famous Greek tragedy-inspired finale all the more affecting. Piper Laurie is superb in an Oscar-nominated role (rare for a horror movie at the time) as Carrie's tormenting mother Margaret, who believes that her innocent girl is proof of her sinfulness. Laurie is both disturbing and devilishly campy, making her character one of the most memorable in the whole genre. Nancy Allen plays the notorious Chris Hargensen, a representation of the "Most Popular Girl" in high school, while Amy Irving plays the opposite in the role of Sue, a character who feels guilty for treating Carrie like dirt. William Katt plays her sweetheart who asks Carrie to the prom as an informal apology from Sue to Carrie. Betty Buckley provides the nice teacher role (a much nicer character here than in the book) who takes young Carrie under her wing. Oh, and watch out for John Travolta as Chris' nothing-but-trouble boyfriend.

I hate it when some audiences from our generation look back on CARRIE is a campy, scare-free "horror" movie. Why, look for some cheap "gotcha" moments that aren't there? CARRIE is more than just the now-usual treatment of horror movies; it's a mature and affecting tragedy of sorts. How many horror movies these days are portrayed with sympathy and warmth that CARRIE had in its smaller moments? In the end, the movie is something that may not be scary, but its rather poignant and sad. In fact, I think some of the horror elements of the film are portrayed as intentionally campy, but that's just me.

CARRIE is also a visual tour-de-force, with some memorable use of color and other visual techniques to drive the story. De Palma's trademark split-screen makes an appearance here during the famous "Prom Night" sequence. The film also has some underlying satire on high school life, during the 70's and even today. In fact, watching CARRIE today gives a few insights that probably wasn't a big deal back in the 70's.

CARRIE is a masterpiece in the genre, and one of the most touching, funny, most tragic, and one of the most memorable horror movies ever.