IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 48: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

Love The Ending

Author: jed-estes from United States Kentucky Hancock
20 August 2006

Brian De Palma was at the top of his game in the 1970's and 80's minus 1973's Sisters and 1985's Wise Guys. Carrie is a film that proves this fact. It is a disturbing depiction of a girl trapped in a horrid body (although Sissy Spacek does not look that bad it just proves her acting capabilities) and tormented by every one in her life. Her mother hates her because her mother has a fixation on God and sees every thing that is not done her way as evil and hell worthy. Her classmates torment her when she has her first period at 17 and does not realize what is happening to her. This scene is striking and sad to see a girl become a women in such sorrow conditions. But all of this is nothing compared to the rampage ending. Throughout the film Carrie slowly discovers how to use levitation powers and this culminates in the end when she is forced into hysteria and her powers are unleashed on her fellow prom goers in a bloody orgasm of death. In the film she takes her whole class out minus three people (Two she takes out latter and the other would get in the sequel The Rage: Carrie II) This scene is staged beautifully by Brian De Palma who makes great use of his recurring split screen movement. This film is awesome and supplemented by it's cliff hanger ending. Which at the time was not really meant to be a cliff hanger at all as it was the 70's and almost no one ever thought of a follow up back then. See this.

A thoughtful and engulfing classic!

Author: AngryChair from Brentwood, USA
26 July 2006

Excellent big screen version of author Stephen King's first novel is not only a suspenseful teen drama, but a touching character study too.

Social misfit spends her days mocked by her classmates and harassed by her fanatically religious mother, then she discovers that she has the power of telekinesis...

Director Brian De Palma made a number of top-notch suspense thrillers during the 70's and Carrie is surely one of his finest works. The story of this film is a compelling one because you not only feel sorry for the teen misfit of the title, but you also want her to find happiness. It all builds into a powerful drama that packs lots of thrills, occasional humor, and strong emotional tones. De Palma lends his usual stylish direction, drawing out the suspense and at times making the movie quite hypnotic with some inventive camera work. The lovely music score of Pino Donaggio is also a nice touch.

Perhaps the best thing about this film though is the wonderful cast! Sissy Spacek does a touching portrayal as our title character, who turns to become quite frightening in the climatic prom scene. Piper Laurie is a powerhouse actress in the role of Spacek's crazed mother. Amy Irving is likable as the teen girl who wants to help the outcast. William Katt is strong as the hip jock who becomes one unlucky prom date. Supporting cast Nancy Allen, John Travolta, and Betty Buckley also turn in good performances.

Carrie is a classic that should be appreciated by all film lovers, not just those that enjoy the horror genre. It's a must-see.

**** out of ****

A thrilling death ride!

Author: chelseey
9 October 2004

"Carrie" is a thrilling death ride that will rip your heart out, chew it up, spit it out, and punch it right back inside of you. If you don't like horror movies, when this is on TV, turn it off immediately.

This is a story of a teenage girl going through puberty, childhood relationships, proms and even murder.

In gym class when Carrie takes a shower, she experiences the drama of her period. Now, you see, Carrie is misunderstood, and doesn't understand. Her mother is a crazy old lady who didn't tell Carrie about sex or puberty. Her mother mistreats her, slaps her, and locks her in closets.

Anyway, the girls in Carrie's classes are always making fun of her and calling her terrible names. So, after all Carrie's little mishaps, a girl in her class named Sue feels sorry for her. So sorry, she tells her boyfriend to take Carrie to the prom. Sue is doing this on Carrie's behalf; to be a friend to her. Oops! Bad idea!

This movie is super-scary! I tell you, when I watched it, I was at a friend's house. I knew my father had told me not to watch the movie until I'm 18. I was 11, at the time. Let me tell you one thing. BOY, WAS HE RIGHT! I just about wet my pants! At the end, I got so scared! I felt like I was going to die! Unfortunately, my friend was asleep at this point. I didn't even want to watch the rest of the movie.

One little tip from your friend, Chelseey: Unless you're over 18, and like horror movies, and your dad says it's okay, BEWARE. Although it was a good movie, it is blood-suckin' scary!

A Message to Bullies.

Author: Python Hyena from Canada
30 December 2015

Carrie (1976): Dir: Brian De Palma / Cast: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt, Nancy Allen: Compelling high school horror film that is about as sophisticated as these films get. Sissy Spacek delivers a brilliant performance as Carrie White with hair in her face to hide insecurities, and her plain wardrobe. She is a tormented student under the ruthless religious rants of her mother. She also has telekinesis and this is discovered when she is pelted with tampons in the locker room by her peers. Piper Laurie plays Margaret White who drags her screaming daughter into a closet to cleanse herself in prayer in front of a Christ figure. Amy Irving as Sue Snell is the one student having remorse for her morbid behavior. William Katt plays Sue's boyfriend Tommy Ross whom she convinces to ask Carrie to the prom, as fallible as that is. Nancy Allen plays the nasty female antagonist who plots to have pig's blood dumped over Carrie's head at the prom. This results in an electrifying climax where Carrie cuts lose and consequences go up in flames. Brian De Palma previously made Sisters and The Phantom of the Paradise and here he propels to a higher level with an interesting social commentary on high school peer trauma and a central character time bomb awaiting to go off. The result is a captivating character study and a retaliation that goes so far that her own world caves into the ground. Score: 9 / 10

A movie full of hate, bullying, religion and murder.....

Author: Irishmoviereviewer from Ireland
30 August 2015

This movie is like "If you mess with Carrie, she will definitely mess with you!". I really feel bad for the girl because she just has no friends and of course, having a extremely crazy ballistic of a mother! God I honestly couldn't believe she stabbed Carrie, she must had a really bad mental illness like a killer! I think Carries bullying, loneliness and the fact that her mother made her mood plus powers become more triggered by it all!

I really think this is the best horror movie of all regardless how old or how sad it was, it was really good!

Well done Stephen King but really why can't they leave this movie and not add other adaptations that aren't as good as this honestly!

Sissy Spacek perfect

Author: SnoopyStyle
2 November 2014

Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) is an introverted isolated girl. She gets picked on by all the other girls. Her mother (Piper Laurie) is a crazy religious type who locks Carrie in the closet. Lead girl Sue Snell (Amy Irving) tries to make amends by getting her hunky boyfriend Tommy Ross (William Katt) to take Carrie to the senior prom. Chris Hargensen (Nancy Allen) refuses to take the punishment and is banned from the prom. Chris plans revenge on Carrie with the help of her boyfriend Billy Nolan (John Travolta). The plan triggers Carrie's supernatural powers.

Director Brian De Palma makes this Stephen King story into a prom epic. The scene is iconic. However this movie is more than just one scene. This is about the great Sissy Spacek. She is absolutely perfect as the shy insecure Carrie. This is about her character. This is about the awkward years. This is a horror, a thriller and so much more.

The First (And Possibly Best) King Movie

Author: gavin6942 from United States
27 October 2014

A young, abused and timid 17-year-old girl (Sissy Spacek) discovers she has telekinesis, and gets pushed to the limit on the night of her school's prom by a humiliating prank.

There seems to be little reason to review this film. Everyone knows it is a horror classic, and even has an entire book devoted to its analysis. Brian DePalma is one of the all-time great directors and he shows that here (using some of his trademark skills, like the split screen shots). Some may say he is nothing more than a cheap imitator of Hitchcock and others, but that is unfair. (Yes, there are a handful of "Psycho" references here, but that is to be expected given the material).

Spacek is successfully awkward, William Katt's hair is amazing, and it is great to see P. J. Soles pre-Halloween. Amy Irving is great, and met her husband (Steven Spielberg) on the set, which is a story in itself. Nancy Allen always shines, and it is great to see her alongside John Travolta years before they reunited with DePalma's "Blow Out" (1981).

Seeing red...

Author: poe426 from USA
21 July 2014

CARRIE was perfect drive-in fare (which is where I saw it), and just happens to be Brian De Palma's best film to date (in my own, ever-humble opinion). Piper Laurie as Carrie's demented mother deserves mention, but it's Sissy Spacek as the title character who really steals the show: she's as convincing as an actress could be as the tormented teen and when she finally unleashes all of her pent-up frustrations, the screen quite literally runs red with blood. Another noteworthy scene is the one where she turns her mother into a pin-cushion: this was done way back before fx became the province of computer operators, and it was done very effectively. I haven't bothered to see any of the remakes; the original will suffice.

Film novel

Author: kosmasp
13 June 2014

I haven't read all of Stephen Kings books and Carrie is one of those I have missed. But this movie even without being able to compare it to the book, does a very fine job. It does give you a sense of isolation and it does give you a powerhouse performance by it's lead actress. A horror movie that is scary.

Even though it's from the 70s and there has been a really solid remake, this is really worth watching. I myself always try to watch the original first, before going ahead to watch any remake, but I would understand if some don't have the time or patience to do that. There are differences though and you get an ending here, that you won't be able to forget soon ... unless someone told you about it ...

Pure horror, thanks to Stephen King and Brian De Palma.

Author: Michael O'Keefe from Muskogee OK
14 April 2014

Solid, heavy handed horror directed by Brian De Palma and based on Stephen King's descriptive novel. Carrie White(Sissy Spacek)is a shy high school teen easily made fun of my her classmates. Carrie's life is about to become her own private hell, when she experiences her first period. Due to her innocence and ignorance of such matters concerning her maturing body; Carrie is an overwhelmed victim of the wrath of her religiously fanatic mother, Margaret(Piper Laurie). The young girl's reaction only causes more teasing and taunting from her classmates. Her gym teacher(Betty Buckley)tries consoling the frantic teen, but with her own private motives in mind. One of Carrie's classmates wants to show some compassion by having her own boyfriend Tommy Ross(William Katt)to invite her to the upcoming prom. A mean spirited Chris Hargensen(Nancy Allen)plans to carry out a prank intending to embarrass Carrie in front of everyone at the prom. Absolutely no one knows that mild mannered Miss White has minor telekinetic powers that she will unleash with fury in retaliation. Anyone in blood slinging distance will learn what real fear is.

This is a true horror film that famously turned into a cult classic. It is so good that you can't help but want to see it again, and maybe again. For very obvious reasons this flick is rated R. An outstanding supporting cast includes: John Travolta, Amy Irving, Doug Cox and Priscilla Pointer.