IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 21 of 47: [Prev][16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [29] [30] [31] [Next]

My brief review of the film

Author: sol- from Perth, Australia
5 June 2005

An absorbing allegory about the effects of high school bullying, it is disguised as a horror film to allude to the horror of such mental anguish. The film manages to depict true emotional concerns involved with school life and ontological pressures even while juggling an overcoat of horror. Piper Laurie and Sissy Spacek are the perfect choices for their roles, and the overall film is impressive on a cinematic level. The only quirk in the film is the typically horror genre ending, but that hardly can affect the effectiveness of this emotional drama. 'The Rage: Carrie 2' followed some 23 years later, however it is hardly worth a look.

i loved it

Author: jyndalana from United States
26 May 2005

i loved that movie.. i just saw it for the first time.. i thought there was a second.. not a remaking but a II.. let me know.. but i thought it had a great ending.. and that is what happens when high school students pick on a person..LOL..i wish i would have been able to do something like that back then.. but then where would we be if all the kids that were picked on burned there gym to the ground. i didn't watch the remaking the rage.. but i heard that it was not any good. does any have and suggestions for other movies like this one? i also thought that john had a good part.. i thought that it made way for his next movies. did anyone else think that Carrie mother was a freak? and did they survive that crash, and why did the house fall down?

Fantastic, Definitely A Favorite Of Mine

Author: KirstenJackson (moviequeen8182@yahoo.com) from United States
26 April 2005

I read the book "Carrie" by Stephen King and I enjoyed it very much. The film I saw was the 1976 version and it was fabulous! It wasn't so scary you were on your toes all the time, but it was suspenseful enough to make you jump! Carrie is the story of Carrie White (Spacek), the girl with telekinesis abused by her mother Margaret White (Laurie) and the girl who is constantly picked on at school. On her prom night, one prank goes much too far, causing Carrie to use her telekinetic powers to get revenge on them all, for every dirty trick they'd ever pulled on her. The acting in this film is phenomenal by all actors and the musical score is great. I can totally see why this film bloomed Sissy Spacek's and John Travolta's career, it was excellent! I'd highly recommend this film to anyone who, as the tagline states, has a taste for terror.

It's Hell Being A Teen: Carrie As Psychological Horror

Author: FloatingOpera7 from United States
5 March 2005

This is one of the better horror films in the mainstream repertoire. It's a classic. Though there have been remakes (on television and also on screen, such as The Rage in the late 90's, the original 70's Carrie unleashes deep, psychological horror and frustrations of being a teenager. Sissy Spacek portrays the frail and powerful Carrie, with sympathetic and touching pathos and tragedy. John Travolta makes an appearance as a one of the high school boys who "wrong" her.

In the 70's, it was probably harder to "survive" high school. I grew up in the 90s when individual pride and diversity was accepted. For a girl like Carrie, who is almost reared as an Amish girl, by an unbelievably religious fanatic mother, who dresses differently than the rest of the girls in school, who is shy, awkward, insecure and most significantly- going through puberty (menstruating)..life can be very hard. The way she is treated by others, particularly the character Jon Travolta is playing and his girlfriend, is enough to drive her to madness. It's so understandable why after all she's put up with, she finally snaps. The moment she felt was her best, when she finally believed she was accepted even triumphant, also becomes her worst moment. Lashing out, she finally makes use of the telekinetic powers she has been practicing. Her mother, too, meets a death by her hands. The final scene seems to be the end-all to the tragic mother-daughter relationship. This movie is well-made, well-written and haunting. Stephen King became the king of horror movies with this, his first.

Flawless film

Author: boomcar61 from United States
4 March 2005

Sorry. Haven't read the book, but I know that Brian DePalma's film version is definitely in my top ten list of the best movies of all time. It's virtually flawless on every level, except for a slight problem with the sound mixing. Other than that little pet-peeve, 'Carrie' is a very worthy film experience.

Furthermore, I find 'Carrie' to be a mild(and definitely morbid)coming-of-age, character study with an overtone of psychological horror. Sissy Spacek, who plays Carrie, turned in an Oscar nominated performance, and so did her screen-mother Margaret White(Piper Laurie). And we all know that Piper deserved to win that one. Her performance in this film elevates her, at least in my opinion, into one of the most talented actresses of all time. She plays a deeply disturbed/confused religious fanatic who has sheltered her daughter Carrie's entire existence from outside stimuli. This shelter is breached, however, when Carrie's fellow classmate Sue Snell(Amy Irving)volunteers her own boyfriend Tommy Ross(William Katt)to a prom date with Carrie. Sue's reason for doing this occurs in the opening scene of the film where she orchestrates an attack on Carrie involving tampons. Actually feeling remorse for this act, Sue decides that by giving up her prom date to Carrie she will definitely make up for the torment that she caused. Unfortunately things are only going to get worse for Carrie...In comes Chris(Nancy Allen), who, because of failing to comply with the terms of punishment rendered for the tampon fiasco, is banished from the upcoming prom. This infuriates the spoiled drama queen, who ultimately blames the whole thing on Carrie. So then Chris constructs a hateful vendetta and initiates boyfriend Billy(John Travolta),and some other bubba, and the three of them go to a pig farm late at night and kill a pig with a sledge hammer. The rest is history.

But for those viewers who are not familiar with this classic story, Chris and Billy 'rig' the king and queen ballots and Carrie ends up winning in a landslide. As the two villains wait under the stage, Carrie and Tommy take their places and are crowned king and queen of Bates High School. Then, after a close call with Sue almost catching them, Chris pulls a rope which is connected to the bucket of pigs blood, which is directly above Carrie's head, and voilà...Carrie unleashes her telekinetic rage on everyone in the gym(yes, even the innocent ones).

I refuse to make any comments on the climax of the film since it was a scene that I had forgotten about, or for some reason skipped when I was younger. Come to think of it I was probably not allowed to watch it because it is pretty violent and disturbing(and kinda sad). Ultimately I wouldn't have wanted anyone to ruin it for me so I will leave that part alone....especially since it features one of the scariest moments in horror movie history.

I definitely recommend this title, and although I do realize that it is not for everyone(judging by some of the IMDb reviews)there is still no denying the powerful performances in this film. There is nothing else to say. 'Carrie' is totally a 10/10. Nothing short of perfection.

Absolutely wonderful! A masterpiece

Author: JrFan7390 from United States
1 March 2005

This is a masterpiece of cinema! Carrie is treated so cruelly by her classmates and she finally gets them back! The prom, the mother's death, and the ending with the bloody hand are the best scenes in my opinion, particularly the first two, just because of the rightful vengeance in them. Everyone in this movie poured their hearts out in their roles. Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, Nancy Allen, Betty Buckley, William Katt, and P.J. Soles were all brilliant. John Travolta's performance was good, but it definitely was the worst of them all. Billy Nolan is a complicated character, and he is probably the one that changed the most from the book. In the book, he never smiles and never really enjoys life until the pig clobbering scene. In this one, he looks like he's high all the time (which he probably is.) All in all, an absolute masterpiece!

Carrie Scary

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
31 January 2005

I'm sure you heard a lot about this movie, I did. And after watching for the first time it turn out to be some what B+ Grade type of horror film. Don't get me wrong; the movie is good especially the flow of the movie is amazing and the story (which is very bitter and depressing). And the characters is full of unique characteristic, going with good acting this movie make it very much thrilling and very memorable. For what it worth 30 years later people still talking about it when talk about prom.

If you wonder whether one should watch it or not, just ask yourself this - "How many time have I seen teen horror flick turn into one of the Hollywood classic?"

Rate: 7.5/10 (Grade: B+)

Low budget magnificence

Author: (style@austinchronicle.com) from United States
31 January 2005

Sissy, pole-vaulting into immortality by playing the avenging angel of all oppressed and abused teenagers. Holding up as a camp classic for 25 years, as well as being referenced and spoofed in dozens of other films, *Carrie* is a spectacular production that radically upped the ante for future teen-scream horror fests. As the socially-retarded, but secretly powerful Carrie White, Spacek plays her character with a sincerity that is heartbreaking. When, as part of a vengeful joke, she is elected Prom Queen, and is doused with a bucket of pig's blood, her powers of telekinesis go wild, and everybody pays. DePalma takes us on a wild visual ride, with spectacular cinematography - an opening sequence of the girls' locker room is as dreamy and erotic as odalisque painting by Ingres, but it quickly devolves to one of the most distressingly graphic and disturbingly camp scenes in all filmdom – that of the menstruating Carrie on the floor of the shower being pelted with Kotexes by her classmates screaming, "Plug it up! Plug it up!" The scene is only the first of many ugly surprises DePalma has up his sleeve.

It is Sissy's stock-in-trade to play a character who has deep respect for, yet rebels against, her upbringing - often that of ignorant (but never stupid) white-trash from a bad gene-pool. In most films, she ultimately rises above her milieu and proves that a good heart will conquer all. *Carrie* is no exception, even though Sissy's character does not survive this one. It is the physical change from the impossibly-freckled, socially-retarded waif into the vision of 70s loveliness that enters into many of Sissy's portrayals, and Sissy expresses these changes in such a way to make the viewer look forward to them. She does not disappoint. Many aspects of the film have entered into the lexicon of film – the famous bucket of blood falling in slow motion sets off the ugly chain of events culminating in mayhem that has seldom been portrayed more shatteringly than the conflagration at the prom. The split-screen recording of the bloodbath at the end, cutting away all sound except for the dripping of blood, is magnificent. As quotable as *Valley Of The Dolls* and *All About Eve* ("I should have killed myself after the first time he put it in me." "I might have known it would be red." "I can see your dirty pillows." "Take off the dress, we'll burn it together and pray for forgiveness."), *Carrie* will live –and die – forever.

the horror of menstruation

Author: ThrownMuse from The land of the Bunyips
16 January 2005

A sheltered teenage girl is viciously taunted by her classmates and abused by her religious fanatic mother. With the onset of menarche, she realizes that she has telekinetic powers. Like many horror films in the 70s, this one moves at a slow pace and culminates in a shocking horrifying extravaganza.

Carrie was a personal favorite of mine when I was a teenager. Watching it as an adult, I look back on it fondly, but it isn't as exceptional as I once thought it was. I suppose I identified with Carrie and saw her as a sort of an icon. Now I am able to see beyond that and pick-up on other themes of the movie that are simultaneously frustrating (considering the film is both written and directed by men) and intriguing. Most significantly, Carrie's special powers are associated with her first menstruation, and "becoming a woman." Her mother treats Carrie's first period as evil--Eve's first sin is also Carrie's sin and she needs to repent for the rest of her life. Carrie ignores this at first, but ultimately believes that her mother (who we find is a "woman scorned") is right, as illustrated by the notorious pigs' blood scene. This is a much more complex theme than I initially realized, and it could be read as either slightly feminist or slightly misogynist, depending on how you interpret it.

On to the performances. It is hard to believe the lead actresses were nominated for Oscars for their roles. Piper Laurie terribly overacts (apparently she thought the film would be a comedy, so this is likely De Palma's fault) and Sissy Spacek's performance makes Carrie seem more "special" than sheltered and abused. The movie does feature some incredible and innovative camera shots that are always fun to watch. I still enjoy Carrie, but not as much as I did when I was a mad-as-hell teenager. My Rating: 7/10

It took a chance and danced on a thin line.......

Author: elizabethbennett from United States
28 December 2004

This movie was a first in a couple of ways. A first for Stephen King and one of the first that showed peer abuse at it's most horrific. Someone mentioned in this thread of comments about "Queen Bee's Wannabee's and Carrie" and I concur, even though I do not trash colleagues and respect them as I wish to be respected, from my own point of view, these books are not what is needed because they do not touch upon the fact that this is a form of abuse as any other form out there and yes, kids as old as 16 have the capacity to differentiate right from wrong and bullying is WRONG. Carrie literally lives a "living hell" with a mom who is a bonafied nut case (or maybe somewhat O/C when it comes to religion)who freaks if Carrie even breathes the wrong way and at school, these adolescent sadists do not know WHEN to stop! You want to scream "LEAVE THIS GIRL ALONE ALREADY" and the abuse keeps on where the chicken blood spews all over Carrie. This movie was made in the mid 70's and the bullying has grown worse. Good movie and better than the remake that hit the tube several years ago.....at least in this picture, there was a teacher who cared. The norm that bullied kids get is "If you ignore it then it will go away."