IMDb > Carrie (1976) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Carrie

Carrie More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 50: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

A Classic That's Not For All Tastes.

Author: Mr_Ectoplasma from New York, NY
14 May 2006

"Carrie" is not your average horror story, so I'm warning those who haven't seen this and expect it to be some all-out horror film full of gore, because "Carrie" is quite different. It's more like a teenage drama-turned horror flick when the last thirty minutes come along.

The film follows the basic story of the book, with a little bit of changes here and there, some things excluded. Carrie White is a nerdy teenage girl who is tormented by her high school peers. On top of that, she has a fanatical religious mother, who comes off more as crazy then holy. Carrie begins to realize she has a special power - if she concentrates enough, she can move objects with her mind. This is called "telekenesis". As prom nears, a girl named Sue Snell convinces her boyfriend to take Carrie to prom, to try and make up for a cruel incident that took place in the girl's locker room. But there are Chris Hargensen and her boyfriend, Tommy, have plans to turn Carrie's magical night into a night of horror - which turns out to be a night of horror for the entire student body.

The acting here is great, Sissy Spacek is wonderful and Piper Laurie, who plays her mother, does a very good job at being genuinely scary. I saw this film at a young age and that image of Carrie's mother with the butcher knife still haunts me to this day. The whole sequence is scary, the creepy score accents Laurie's crazed performance. Sissy Spacek really garners some genuine pathos here, living the sheltered life with her religious fanatic mother, all of the girls at school treating her like an animal. I felt bad for her throughout the whole movie, even after she killed the whole prom. She suffers throughout the whole movie, so you really feel bad for her.

"Carrie" is not a horror film for everyone. The majority of the film is more like a teenage drama, focusing on an outcast high school girl. But as tension builds in the film, in the last 30 minutes, all hell breaks loose. So if you aren't a fan of slow-building horror films, then you probably won't enjoy this. But for those who do, this is a classic. 10/10.

all hail the classic

Author: feliciadayton from United Kingdom
21 April 2006

horror classic=fear of female sexuality?

Author: seannayackeren from United States
16 April 2006

this was not the first time i watched 'carrie,' nor will it be the last, not if i have anything to say about it. every time i see it i leave convinced this movie is a metaphor for man's fear of female sexuality and yet have done little to further this belief. the greatest evidence i find to support this belief is the correlation between carrie white finally getting her (much delayed) period, a sign she has become a woman, and the development of her telekinetic powers. previously lacking this skill, with the onset of her menstrual cycle it is only moments before carrie is flipping ashtrays and, soon after, obnoxious boys as the ride by on their bicycles. there's piper laurie's comment regarding how, eve was weak. had she been stronger perhaps she would not have tempted adam, which led to knowledge of themselves as sexual beings, and their banishment from eden. if carrie's mother had only been able to control her sexuality then perhaps she would not have engaged in premarital sex and none of this would have happened in the first place. where i find myself hung up is the significance of carrie being covered in pig's blood before all hell breaks loose. there's clearly something in the fact that she is drenched in the blood of a female animal, like a giant menstrual flow, and then finds herself incapable of controlling her own powers.

Don't Ever Mess With This Girl

Author: TEAQUIEMORO from United States
10 April 2006

This is one teenager girl that you want to make fun of because she will find you,and than kill you.This was a totally awesome movie,it kicked ass.Who knew a little girl who had a horrible life with her damn mother can scare you to death once she found out she has it.Carrie really needed that power because those people needed to be taught a lesson to make a poor little girl cry.And I can't believe the teacher laughed when the pig's blood got all over on Carrie,I thought her all wrong.Though this was a long time ago movie and a little blood was here,the music was suspenseful because you don't know what's gonna happen after the creepy music.And a good opening when all the girls came out from the shower naked,a really love that part with all the tits.All I have to thank is the director for a great Carrie,and a special applaud to Steven King.Without the novel it would be great without it.

"Carrie" remained today as good as it was in 1976

Author: eddy_guitar_lover from Romania
19 March 2006

"Carrie" is the movie made by Stephen King's first novel. For those of you who don't know (altough I doubt there are a lot of people who haven't heard of this), "Carrie" is the story of high school student Carrie White, who is constantly bullied by her classmates. As if this wouldn't have been enough, her mother is a religious fanatic, who thinks life itself is a sin. In the first scene, we are brutally introduced in the harsh high school life (I can't tell more, see for yourselves) and see just what Carrie's classmates really are. And so, Carrie must find a way to survive all these attacks. And she does... She soon discovers that she wields a special power: telekinesis. At first, she uses TK without actually realizing what she is doing, but then, she can control her power pretty good (she was never able to fully control it, but she made real progress). Now, the movie is a little different of the novel, but the major facts written by Stephen King are in the movie too. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are the stars of the movie, being an astonishing mother-daughter duo. Their relationship is much more special than an ordinary one. They love and hate each other with the same passion, and they are often unpredictable. You never know what's gonna happen until the very end of the movie, it's like being on a roller-coaster--now it's going up, now it's going down, and you're going with it. Same is "Carrie", due to Sissy Spacek's brilliantly performance. You feel what she feels, and you almost feel sorry for her on that fateful Prom Night... Carrie was always the weak one, every cool kid's target for teasing and taunting, the one that never fights back. But on the Prom Night, which was supposed to be magic and "a night to remember", some of Carrie's classmates take things too far, by throwing pig's blood on her just as she is crowned as the Prom Queen. The moment is full of drama, suspense, and, eventually, horror... ( it's shown in the theatrical trailer) Than, she gets revenge on them, using telekinesis. The storyline is really interesting, but the special effects are really bad, due to the period of time the movie was made (yep, no special effects in 1976). Sissy Spacek and John Travolta really bumped up their careers after this film, and you'll understand why when you'll see it. The scary part of the movie (they say it's a horror film, I can't tell why) is not so scary and only lasts a few minutes. "Carrie" is most of all a drama, and trust me, the movie won't scare you, but it will make you think. Betty Buckley, the Broadway singer, has an important part too. If you haven't seen "Carrie" yet, just go and rent it, it's worth it. You know what they say, if you've got a taste for terror, take Carrie to the prom.

I loved it!

Author: Jewel102791 from United States
8 February 2006

This movie is the best movie I've ever seen! It is my favorite movie of all time and nothing could replace it. The first time I saw this was in the seventh grade after school. I've heard from people that they thought it was scary, I saw that day and I quickly fell in love with it. It was always on after I got home from school so I would watch it. I never rented the movie because for some reason I didn't want to. One day when I was on vacation in New York I asked my mom if we could rent it. I was really bored so I thought a movie could be good. I watched it 3 times and then I had to return it. A month later in the summer I asked my mom if we could buy it from amazon and she did. It came in few weeks. I was so excited that I watched it all the time. I still never get tired of it. I at least memorized all the lines from the movie and saw the features for over five times. I just love it so much it became apart of me. The casting in the movie was superb. Sissy Spacek was excellent as Carrie White. I thought she was perfect. She showed so much emotion, hurt ,and anger that I really felt sorry for her. Piper Laurie was very scary as Margret White. She was such a religious freak that it made me almost want to kill her. Amy Irving was also great as Sue Snell. At the beginning she seemed mean but more throughout the film she was nice and she felt sorry for Carrie. Nancy Allen as Chris, she was such a bitch. I literally hated her I wanted Carrie to kill her at the beginning of the film. John Travolta as Billy Nolan he was dumb and cute at the same time. I really liked him in this film. William Katt as Tommy Ross, he was nice. He was such a gentleman to Carrie that I really liked him. P.J. Soles as Norma Watson, I hated her as much as Chris. She was like a little sidekick with Chris. She was always wearing that red baseball cap that it drove me nuts. Brian DePalma is a genius. This film was so great, I'm so glad he directed an Oscar nominated film that proves how talented he is. The special effects were amazing. I loved them. The score was tremendous! I want to get the soundtrack to it so bad. Overall the film is amazing and beautiful, if you haven't seen it I suggest that you should. So for me I LOVE CARRIE!

My favorite horror film of all time

Author: BrianCTyler from United States
3 February 2006

CARRIE (1976) directed by: Brian De Palma starring: Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, and John Travolta plot: Carrie White (Sissy Spacek) is a haunted teenage girl. At school she is constantly tormented by her peers and at home she is abused by her fanatically religious mother (Piper Laurie). One day in the girls showers, Carrie has her first period. Having no knowledge of this important event, she freaks out, thinking she is dying, and the girls have no sympathy, they just laugh, chant and throw tampons. While pretty Sue Snell (Amy Irving) feels guilty and has her boyfriend (William Katt) take Carrie to the prom, mean-spirited Chris Hargenson (Nancy Allen) conspires with her boyfriend Billy (John Travolta) to make Carrie the target of a horrible prank on prom night. What everyone doesn't know is that Carrie was born with the ability to move objects with her mind, and she is pushed too far on her one special night.

my thoughts: I love this horror film, and it is my favorite. The story, the directing, the cast, and the score all meld together to make the perfect horror film.

The acting is perfect. Sissy Spacek made me really feel sorry for Carrie. She showed us that Carrie was smart, creative and sweet deep down inside and she was actually very pretty. Piper Laurie scared me as Margaret White, very crazy and over-the-top in a scary way. Her dialog at the end was perfect and she was a very interesting character. Amy Irving is great as the popular girl who actually shows some sympathy for Carrie, and even gives up her prom ticket and date for the girl. Irving plays the character very sympathetic yet very naive. William Katt was also very sympathetic as the brave Tommy Ross, the most popular guy in school taking the least popular girl in school to the prom. The guy also has great hair lol. Betty Buckley did good as the gym teacher who understands both Carrie and the mean girls. Nancy Allen, John Travolta and P.J. Soles were great mean kids. Nancy Allen was pretty and whiny, John Travolta was goofy, and P.J. Soles was annoying in a hot way.

Brian De Palma is one of my favorite directors and his work was especially great here. I loved every shot he put in this movie, the only complaint is that his work in the opening locker room scene make him seem very peeping tom-ish, a theme he puts in a lot of his films. His camera-work mostly shined in the prom scene.

Pino Donnagio provides one of the greatest horror scores ever. It changes mood with the film. It can be scary, suspenseful, beautiful or sad.

So if you want a great dramatic horror film with perfect acting, directing, writing and music, then definitely check out CARRIE.

A horror classic

Author: Brian-97 from Atlanta, Georgia
12 November 2005

Brian DePalma's film version of the classic Stephen King novel has held up remarkably well as a horror classic. The timeless story of teenage angst gone horribly wrong still manages to scare new generations of a viewers. There are many who can relate to Carrie White's sheltered teen. Sissy Spacek gives a riveting portrayal in the title role. She inhabits the role, and was a smart choice by DePalma. You manage to feel sympathy for Carrie despite her eventual crimes of passion. This is a true testament to Spacek's Oscar-nominated performance. Also great is Piper Laurie (also Oscar nominated) as Carrie's religious fanatic mother. Due to Carrie's repressed life at home, and the ridicule she receives from her classmates at school, she uses her considerable telekinetic powers to wreak havoc on all of her tormentors in the film's frightening final half hour! One of the best of the King movie adaptations, and must see for fans of classic 1970's horror. If you liked "The Omen" or "Rosemary's Baby", you will love "Carrie". 10/10

Very good acting, a very nice story, some interesting camera work... reasons enough to give this movie a try

Author: Philip Van der Veken from Tessenderlo, Belgium
13 September 2005

"Carrie" is a classic horror movie that has always been one of my favorite movies in the genre. It may well be thirty years old, but the tension, the story, the images,... really haven't lost anything of their power. And I'm certainly not the only one who likes this movie. The fact that it has inspired several other movie makers to try to do the same by making a sequel or a remake, shows that they too were convinced of the potential of the movie. The only difference is: they have all failed where De Palma succeeded.

Carrie White is a shy girl who doesn't have any friends and who is completely unaware of what the world has to offer. She has never learned to make social contacts, because she has been living in an isolated world, together with her psychotically religious mother. After an embarrassing incident in the showers, her fellow students start to tease her even more than what they have done before. Her teacher disciplines them severely and that's why they are determined to have revenge. They all hatch a plot against Carrie to embarrass her in front of the whole school during the prom. But one girl feels sorry for Carrie and asks her date not to take her with him to the prom, but to ask Carrie instead, which he does. The entire night seems to go perfectly and especially when she's chosen as the prom queen her life seems better than ever. But when she is asked to go on the stage everything starts to go terribly wrong...

If you look at the story and the special effects and compare them with todays horror movies, than I'm sure that several (young) people will not like it all that much. However, when you keep in mind that this movie was made in 1976, than you'll have to agree with me that this is still stunning. OK, horror movies now try to use more scary moments (you know what's going to happen and still at that exact moment in the movie you get frightened) and that's something which you will not find in this movie, but it's the entire story and the idea behind it that make it all work. But even when the story and the special effects can't convince you all that much, you'll probably like the movie for the acting in it. Sissy Spacek was very convincing as Carrie, Piper Laurie was unbelievable as her mother and all other actors were more than OK as well, especially the young John Travolta could convince me in this movie. What I also liked a lot was the camera work. There aren't that many movies who have made use of split screens as much as has been done in this "Carrie", and those who did weren't always very successful in it, but in this movie it works and it sure adds an extra dimension to the entire experience.

In the end this is a horror movie that hasn't had too much difficulty to stand the test of time if you ask me. If all of today's horror movies will still be good in thirty years time is only to be seen, but this one certainly proves that it deserves to be called a classic in the genre. That's why I give it at least a 7.5/10.

A triumph!

Author: Danactor4 from United States
24 August 2005

"Carrie" is quite possibly one of the best films I have ever seen. It is not quite the classic it is hailed as, but it has all the elements of a great film. And more.

Sissy Spacek made her name with this film, and befittingly so. Her acting is so incredible. That first look of confusion on her face when she sees the blood flowing out of her is so innocent, so genuine, that I almost thought I was sitting there in that locker room watching it all happen in real time. Her female tormentors are cold and merciless, and I nearly cried out when they began hurling sanitary napkins at her.

The chief tormentor, Chris Hargensen, is played by Nancy Allan. And she delivers. She has the perfect image of a glamorous, popular girl. Although unlike the novel, she's more of an oversimplified girly girl who plays a mean trick, not the ruthless Chris Hargensen of the novel who goes out of her way to hurt misfits. But this Chris is a more realistic one, and it makes the movie easier to understand.

Then what of Carrie's mother, Margaret White (played by Piper Laurie)? Her first scene shows she's an amiable woman...kinda creepy, what with the overly religious routine. But she seems okay, right? Wrong.

Margaret arrives home after Carrie's "incident" in the showers and gets a disturbing call from the school. She turns from amiable religious woman, to heartless religious zealot. She bashes Carrie around with a Bible, saying what she has done is sin and that God's vengeful hand is at work. (Just a note, but the musical that spawned from this film, "Carrie: the Musical," had a very compelling and bone chilling song in this scene) She then drags her into the closet to pray, all the while quoting an unheard of section of the Bible entitled "The Sins of Women." The closet is very creepily designed, with a grotesque cruciform figure with glowing eyes.

All in all, the film basically builds up to the big finale. There are a couple of things worth mentioning though. Betty Buckley (who also played Margaret White in the musical version) delivers a good performance as the gym teacher, although her motives as to why she is helping Carrie are kind of subtle. John Travolta fills the role of Billy Nolan, Chris's scuzzy boyfriend, pretty well. William Katt and Amy Irving (portraying Tommy Ross and Sue Snell) are both respectable as well, but both, especially Katt, don't get enough time to really develop their characters. For instance at the Prom, Tommy kinda just falls in love with her out of nowhere. Most of the cast is at, or above good acting throughout. But Spacek and Laurie continue to do wonderful, the other being the only person they truly love and hate. Spacek especially. You literally FEEL her emotions. When she's upset, you're upset. When she smiles, you smile. And you really feel her hope building throughout the entire prom. Speaking of which, I thought the whole slow motion scene was kind of dragged out. Just drop the stupid pig's blood on her already! Although the scene where she's imagining everyone's laughter is very effective.

As for the destruction scene itself, I craved more blood. It left a bit to be desired, considering most of them just kinda died. It was almost...well, humorous watching her spray them with the hose and then watching them tumble over the tables and chairs.

The final scene at the White Home however makes up for this. It being both Spacek and Laurie's final scene, they go out with a bang. The set is extremely eerie, with candles everywhere. The one thing I didn't like was Margaret was just kinda hanging out behind the bathroom door when Carrie went in to wash. And then just walked right up to her. Laurie's motherly holding and stroking makes you want to go "Aww..." and it looks like for the moment, Carrie might be all right. But Marge unexpectedly pulls a knife on her, and she rolls down the stairs. The look in Laurie's eyes is utterly petrifying, especially when she does the sign of the cross over her with the knife. But uh oh. Margaret forgot her daughter's got telekinesis. Carrie impales her, so that she eventually mimics the appearance of the cruciform in her closet. Laurie's dying breaths are extremely convincing, and Spacek nervously looks away each time she allows herself to look. Feeling pained and remorseful, she grabs mom, takes her into the closet and caves the house in.

Later, Sue Snell dreams about leaving flowers at the sight of where the White Home once stood, when Carrie's dead hand gives her a good IL' yank and scares the audience. No matter how many times I watch it, I never can exactly time when the hand grabs her.

All in all, this film is just one wonderful piece of work. You should watch it, whether you want to see the novel's tragic plot put on film, Spacek and Laurie's marvelous performances, or even if you just want to see Nancy Allan naked. Nine out of Ten.